Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Russia - threadbanned users in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭electric_sleep

I didn’t bring up most of those issues you mentioned but I assume this is aimed at me.

My point is that Ukraine is having a civil war, and a proxy war as much as it’s having a war of defence against an invasion, there can be no peace treaty that doesn’t recognise this.

All the war hawks will have to come around to the reality on the ground eventually. Regardless of how much they’d like to drive the ‘Russian hordes’ into deepest Siberia, only one side of this war has nukes and unless the West want to get involved directly, it’s an un-winnable war for Ukraine.

Peace talks are needed as soon as possible while Kiev still even has a hand to play.

I’m a realist. And this is the only way I can see an end to violence that doesn’t result in thermonuclear war. If anyone has a better way that’s not based in pure gung-ho fantasy, then I’m all ears.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

It is not a civil war. It is the invasion of a sovereign country. Putinite, your arse is showing again.

Ukraine defenders will continue to chew up young Russian men until the Russian state breaks.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

The "isn't it awful, oh both sides are nasty" stuff on Ukraine as if anything Ukraine did is some way comparable to Russia (where you have a leader now thinking he's a warlord from centuries past, but with nukes and cruise missiles) isn't likely to go down that well in Ireland now however much personal experience and knowledge you have of both places over joe soap from here. Such is life.

btw Ireland has I think been designated an "unfriendly" country by your homeland. As part of the EU we're firmly on the Russia ****-list this time out, unlike the old Cold war with Soviet Union (where we were Western I suppose but utterly uninvolved in these sorts of events and beneath notice).

I expect over next couple of years here (I'm assuming Putin doesn't scour this island clean with his Nuclear Tsunami (!), or less dramatically, devastate the economy of the EU and have us all eating cold beans out of a can come Christmas as his trolls threaten), while you won't ever be "in a camp", or if not a citizen have residency threatened unless you are a silly-billy, you may find you have to bite your tongue regarding home & Ukraine and keep the head down a bit.

Right so, how do you expect we round up Russians and extract their political viewpoints before deciding if they can stay?

Would this extend to Russians with dual citizenship? What about ethnic Russians from Ukraine? What about Russians who’ve never set foot in Russia? What about Russians married to Irish people?

Think about the nonsense you’re spouting.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,743 ✭✭✭zv2

“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” — Voltaire

• Advertisement

You sound genuinely unhinged.

It is possible for Russian people to be opposed to the war and not march the embassy.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,640 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

My point is that Ukraine is having a civil war, and a proxy war as much as it’s having a war of defence against an invasion

Counterpoint - no it isn't.

Ukraine's internal problems are well documented but they will not even begin to be able to address them until Russia pisses off. Until then the only thing that matters is fighting off invasion and genocide.

Where are they if they are so implacably opposed to the war? Where is their moral outrage at their sons being sent to a sovereign country to kill, and ulitmaltely be killed? The poster is insisting about this army of Russian-Irish peaceniks. Or are they crossing their fingers they'll somehow get a Ukrainian surrender on Russian terms and hoping to keep their heads down in the meantime?

They carry the name of Russia on their backs. I know what I'd do if Ireland descended into barbarsim as Russia has.

Don't give a flip how I sound to you btw.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭ZenNature

Was there some FACT in my post you took exception to ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,278 ✭✭✭thomil

Just ran it through Safari's integrated translator. Here are the key points.

• Fire broke out in an ammunition storage site in the village of Barsovo, Vladimir Oblast, about 80 kilometers east of Moscow. Cause of fire not specified
    • Fire ultimately triggered the detonation of ammunitions, including several hundred ATGM (Anti Tank Guided Missiles) There's also talks of shells exploding, but this may simply refer to additional missiles for ATGM launchers
    • Three Russian military personnel killed in the incident, a further five victims are referred to later in the article, both in the ammunitions depot and in Barsovo village itself

Here's a Google Maps link to what I believe to be the depot in question: https://www.google.com/maps/@56.1010633,38.7525727,2091m/data=!3m1!1e3

From the description, and the size of the site, it sounds like just one of the ammunition warehouses in that depot went up. Given the total size of the Barsovo depot, we'd definitely know if the entire site had gone up. Not sure whether this was caused by negligence, "thermal inventory correction" to cover up theft, local insurgents or deep-penetrating Ukrainian special forces (unlikely, to be honest), but this will definitely not make the ongoing logistical situation any easier for the Russians.

Good luck trying to figure me out. I haven't managed that myself yet!

• Advertisement

They are probably getting on with their lives as best they can, saddened at the way the war is going. Like the rest of us.

They hold no responsibility for the actions of others, just because they share the same nation of birth.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭opinionated3

Civil war??? Wtf?? It's a full on invasion for Christ's sake. Russia started it and to be quite frank, after bucha,Mariupol,kremenchuk etc the more Russian soldiers/rapist's/terrorists that are killed the better. This will hopefully end in one way..... With the total and utter humiliation of Russia and her leaders.

They're probably digging into stuff at this point that's 40+ years old and never inspected or maintained properly. Accident will happen. We can hope.

I never attempted to make them responsible for the actions of others, merely posing the question where are they in the midst of all this? Electric Sheep would have it that they want peace and all they will ever want is peace.

Peace is easily achieved in this war, but Russians in diaspora and on the home-front have a job to do if they want it. And you know what that is.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,036 ✭✭✭joseywhales

The first meaningful financial effect of this war has hit me today. I am in this multi month negotiation with my employer for a large increase in pay. The latest they come out with, " well we had to move about 20 Russian developers to Australia and elsewhere and pay hundreds of thousands in visas relocation etc, so we are a bit tight at the moment.....the Russian brain drain is back in full swing. These are guys on 200-500k, maybe one or two on 1m+

• Registered Users Posts: 3,278 ✭✭✭thomil

More than likely. Missile and/or technicians not properly grounded whilst working on the electronics, a short circuit in a bit of testing gear, the explosives crystalizing and becoming extremely sensitive to shocks and jolts, there's a cornucopia of things that could go wrong.

Then again, the Google Maps images show that at least some of the infrastructure at the depot was recently built and/or modernized. Loads of earthworks visible throughout the entire site, including what looks like the entire perimeter fence, newly ballasted railway tracks and several warehouses look like they're under construction. You'd think they'd double check any ammunition before moving them into such a new or modernized facility.

Good luck trying to figure me out. I haven't managed that myself yet!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,512 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

I'd add by the way that they are very quiet even on social media.

There are legions and legions of psycho Putin bots cheering on the war and justifying all the atrocities, but surprisingly few Russian citizens abroad attacking the regime. I've seen the odd one here and there, but not vast numbers.

" Peace is easily achieved in this war ... "

How do you see that happening ? Whats your definition of easy .

lol

“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” — Voltaire

Your lot you're cheerleading f*cking off home on tank treads instead of in boxes.

• Advertisement

Right-click on the page and select 'translate to English'

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

The "feint" thing is very much a part of internal Russian dogma now. Not unlike how they paint Comrade Stalin's "masterful" tactics when he dealt with the Germans back in the day. Essentially he let them in so he could encircle them. Total bollocks of course.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

And "they" are probably where I am. Getting on with their lives without feeling some sort of collective guilt or responsibility to protest in the way that you'd like them to.

The internal conflict has been simmering in Ukraine for decades actually, becoming a ‘hot’ conflict from 2014. The proxy war element is Russia and the USA who’ve been aiding different sides of this conflict.

The Russian invasion is connected to it (not justifying it at all but that’s the way Russia is spinning it). Who do you think the so called LPR/DPR are? They’re Ukrainians armed by Russia.

Russia won’t leave without a chunk of Ukraine and concessions, and unless western boots are on the ground they’ve got the upper hand. Recognising that parts of East Ukraine are pro Russian is going to be necessary when it comes to drawing up a treaty or this conflict will just repeat itself down the road.

You would think the Irish, of all people would get this.

Well you can call it 'total bollocks' but the fact remains 100,000 Ukrainian troops stayed in Kiev, most of them are still there and meanwhile Russia is making advances in the East. There is only one nation in this fight who is gaining ground.

It might have been intentional, or just happenstance, either way if Russia had not attacked Kiev, then 100k more Ukrainian soldiers with be in their eastern regions and Russia would be going backwards but they are not.

I dont think its much use to bury your heads in the sand and pretend they arent making inroads and pinning down Ukrainian resources in Kyiv.

Its not the outcome Id hope for the Ukrainains, but no matter how much you would like it not to be true, unfortunately it is.

So your solution is something thats not going to happen , so its just wishful thinking really.

Ive not cheer leaded anyone. Just pointing out some realities and facts.

Conspiracy theorizing. Who were your mysterious US proxies in 2014 fighting the explicit Russian generated and sponsored puppet armies? The sovereign state of Ukraine?

You'd be as well to admit at this stage that you're merely a Putin flunkie. This "I want peace" bullsh*t while parroting known Russian government lies really isn't washing with anyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Niall145

'Ukraine is having a civil war' lol, yeah they probably bombed their own shopping centre too; he is pro-Putin scum, end of story

Er, the ‘West’ has been arming and training the Ukrainian military, including the militias of dubious political persuasions to fight Russian backed Ukrainian separatists for years. There has been war in Ukraine for years.

Literally both a civil war and proxy war. Many thousands of people killed. This has all been documented and widely reported since 2014, not sure how you’ve missed it.

• Advertisement

Look at Nostradamus here gracing us with his presence.

I'll tell you one thing you can take to the bank. I hope the Russian Ministry of Defence has their order for coffins and body bags put in.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement