Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Russia - threadbanned users in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,440 ✭✭✭jmreire

Why are they moving to Australia? Security issues?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Hobgoblin11

Russian troops entered Lysychansk refinery, is this the latest Azovstal?

Dundalk, Co. Louth

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

That old lady Elena has some stones. Ten times the person I would be in her position. I love her artwork too.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭opinionated3

I bet those Russian policemen feel right tough ........

• Registered Users Posts: 11,053 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Remarkable the number of new posters who pop up on this thread, accounts registered within a few days and who basically trot out the same line about Ukraine and how they should just suck it up and settle for their current state of affairs. Quite remarkable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,712 ✭✭✭✭briany

Forums aren't like Twitter where the latter can be brigaded by legions of anonymous troll accounts and it becomes difficult to separate trolls from genuine people. On here, we can see that they only registered recently. It's all fairly obvious. It's something I've noticed on CA and AH over the last few years, and I'm sure I'm far from the only one. It often isn't even sophisticated or subtle trolling.

For those who encounters kremlins web brigade on a daily basis

Found this interesting video that explains the old troll excuse about Ukraine bombing Donbas for 8 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

This video only scratches the surface of the bottom-of-the-barrell manipulation and outright lies that Russian internet trolls spew. We've got a taste of it in this thread. Even those from fake peaceniks wringing their hands for a Ukrainian surrender on Kremlin terms. Lie after lie, and they think they won't be pulled up on it, and think they can pose as some sort of Desmond Tutu figure crying out for peace.

There's only two possible scenarios here:

1. They know what they are spewing is lies. In which case, they can get scalded.
    2. They don't have enough cop on to know what they are spewing is lies. In which case, they can get scalded.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭ZenNature

So CHINA is snapping up Russian coal. China imports of Russian coal have increased 55% since May

I guess China didnt get the memo about the sanctions. Even if they are having to give a discount Russia is still coining it because coal is at record highs.

This is not going to be doing the planet any good either.

The West sanctions on Russian coal received great applause but they arent going into effect until August.

So as those atrocious war continues , the West is lining the coffers of the Putin regime day by day.

As I have said I dont think our leaders in the West have thought thru their actions very well, pre , during and even post this war in Ukraine or any major issue for that matter.

Does this mean CNBC are pro-Putin for reporting FACTS ?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,640 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

What on earth is your point?

Europe is going to move away from all Russian energy imports for security reasons as much as anything else. What else do you think they can do?

• Advertisement

There are many points to be made and explored. In this case I just think many of these sanctions are meaningless, barely worth the paper they were written on , all they are doing is impacting ordinary citizens, creating a global recession and driving inflation thru the roof. When the real squeeze comes in winter I expect many of these sanctions to be kicked down the road , again. Its all bluster and showmanship but little teeth.

Clearly Russian exports are being welcomed with open arms as they pivot East. The world order is fractured and many nations are jumping at the chance to escape western hegemony, either by choice or because they cant afford to make any other choice many nations will gladly deal with Russia irrespective of western sanctions.

" All the G7 boyos are talking about a cap on all Russian oil prices, which will further squeeze them ... "

What do you mean further squeeze them, the current measures taken by the west could not have done more to INCREASE Putins coffers, if they had tried.

The Russian Finance ministry reported last month that they had already met their budget 2021 projected income for 2022 for Oil and Gas revenue, circa 150Billion.

Russia is 6 months ahead of target on energy revenues, and likely to exceed 200% of projected revenues by EOY 22. Doubling your revenue is not in the definiton of a squeeze.

As to an energy cap on Russian oil, sounds great in principle and on paper but like most of the west's measures its unliklely to work in reality for many reasons.

The minute the G7 announce any form of Russian Energy cap, oil will spike $15 minimum , increasing likelihood of a global recession and drive inflation higher. Maybe you can afford that, and no doubt the decison making boyos can afford that but I know many people who could not.

To impose a cap they need other nations to buy into it, who is to say they will. This type of measure enforcing price controls on oil exports has been tried in the past in Iran and Libya and both of them failed as they were open to corruption and bypassed by nefarious entitites.

A cap would have to approach $45 to hit Russian profits , and if Russia chose to pull the plug on some of its exports then again oil spikes, more recession, more inflation as nations scramble to replace their Russian oil.

More theoretical ideas like the sanctions which havent worked in the past and unlikely to work in the future.

If anyone is squeezing anyone, Russia is putting a squeeze on the EU, what else would you call the 500 million euros they will send to Russia today.

Its all FACTS folks, some poeple think FACTS are pro-Putin , but heh its best to understand whats happening, maybe then we find a solution.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,484 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

The Russians have said a lot of things, and all were lies. I wouldn’t believe their budgetary figures at all. They are trying to make things look good to their population and useful idiots in other countries.

I got most of my numbers from Reuters, FT, CNBC, and The Atlantic Council (a Washington based western anti-Russia think tank) .

So you dont believe those sources. Maybe you think their numbers are wrong and that they are useful idiots.

To bury your head in the sand and ignore reality is not a good position to take. People should face up to the reality maybe then they can fix it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,484 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

Where do you think they got their numbers from. It’s unlikely that they picked them from their arse, and so I’d expect them to be reporting the numbers that Russia releases.

If things were as rosy in Russia as you imply, they wouldn’t be whinging about sanctions.

If sanctions weren’t having an impact, you and your colleagues most likely wouldn’t be protesting how much they are failing.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

If you've lived a lifetime of the possibility of a visit from shady people, hints of threats, neighbours who'd turn you in in a heartbeat, prison for almost anything it shapes your mindset to keep your head down. People here are likely to have family back in Russia, that's a real fear.

These outlets have analysts who do nothing but monitor Russia finances all year long, there no reason to believe they havent verified the numbers they are publishing. Your entering conspiracy theory now if your implying the FT, Reuters, CNBC and The Atlantic Council would allow themselves to publish pro-putin spin without checking the numbers themselves.

Like I said ignoring FACTS is not a healthy way to live. If you dont think Russia is making money hand over fist you are entitled to that opinion. The global economic media all attest to the FACT RUSSIA is making record profits, its just maths, what do you think is moving the ruble to a 15 year high, RUSSIA is coining it. And on top of that theres little the west can do to stop Russia converting any yuan, rupee or other payments for this oil into a currency of their choice.

Show me where I said things were rosy in Russia.

Ive said the EU will send RUSSIA circa 500 million Euro today and China and India are both increasing Russian imports. Thats just FACTs.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,640 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

They are not meaningless (the redirection of sales has not made up for what they have and will lose to Europe), energy sanctions are not the only sanctions and there are reasons far beyond "punishing" Russia for moving away from Russian energy.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

It's the nature of how you seem to be using said facts that people are asking questions about, mostly by the looks of things to beat people over the head with. A post full of facts just shows an ability to find and present facts, not necessarily to illuminate any argument. You're as blind as the rest of us when it comes to all the facts as they are understandably being hidden, so at best your thoughts are half-thoughts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,578 ✭✭✭Field east

• Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭UsBus

Putin in Turkmenistan at the moment. No better opportunity to just end this now. There has to be massive level of intelligence on his every move in a country much more manageable than russia

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭shivaz

They sail off into the sunset with their tail between their legs...hopefully.

"It is reported that this is how Snake Island looks today.They write that 3 small-sized ships departed from the island. The island is empty. Orcs blew up the rest of the equipment and drove off into the sunset on the Raptors.

The information needs to be confirmed."

• Registered Users Posts: 4,250 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

We just need to load someone up with Covid and get them to let off a big sneeze directly into putins face

• Registered Users Posts: 8,172 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

Hear hear. We are at war with these fuckers and they and their "some of my best friends are Russian " apologists need to be sent back to their god forsaken motherland.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Ah yes Iran and Libya, sanctioned states doing so well. North Korea another. Now Russia has oil and gas, that and waving around nukes are their only trump cards, but yep they're big ones and Europe's reliance on these commodities as Russia's primary customer particularly Germany has indeed resulted in the farce of paying Russia to keep prosecuting this land grab war. No argument there. This has caused a further spike in oil/gas prices to Russia's benefit. Certainly in the short to medium term. However....

what do you think is moving the ruble to a 15 year high,

You see that's not nearly the positive you think it is and Russia trumpets and spins it is. Even Russia knows this. When it first tumbled in value among other capital controls they raised interest rates to a massive 20% to try and control it, they've since dropped it three times to try and dial back its rise(last time I looked it's back to 10%). That's some clever accounting in response to a major crisis, not the positive you think. It's so high because while they've been raking it on from oil, but those "sanctions that aren't working" have meant they can't buy foreign currency, they can't import goods using their cash to nearly the same degree and they can't send their wealth abroad on top of the capital controls of Russia's finance ministry. They've gone from trading back and forth with the world to trading one commodity abroad and trading with themselves. A strong currency means your exports become more expensive and that's OK if you can use all that cash to buy stuff from outside for your economy. They can't.

TL;DR? The rise of the rouble is actually proving sanctions are working.

And for the future? Russia is cut off from the industrial, financial and political world, at least the part of the industrial, financial and political world that actually counts. A mickey mouse trade deal with say Mali won't come close to making up for the loss of a similar trade deal with say France. Though I can see putin not caring and prefering a new Soviet Union commonwealth of little mickey mouse states where Russia's the boss. They're cut off from international air travel and for the foreseeable. Even their apparent best buds China have closed their airspace to the Russian operated Airbus/Boeing fleet. Their own homegrown fleet was utterly reliant on now sanctioned western tech for engines and avionics. Can they replace that? yep, but this isn't Soviet times with a long established and much bigger more populated command economy so it's going to take a long time and what they produce will have to be signed off by the international aviation authorities. The same authorities who've been badly stung by Russia. Good luck on securing insurance, so they'll have to underwrite that too. Leasing is dead to them for the foreseeable and that goes way beyond the aero industry. That's before we look at the massive flight of non Russian businesses from their country leaving a considerable number of Russians unemployed and a rising poverty rate since this war kicked off, which Russia's own figures show. Oh sure some oligarch can bring McDonaldski back, but while they can make burgers and chips easily enough, they can't make silicon chips nearly so easily anymore. And that's before we consider the brain drain and demographic timebomb that Russia was looking down the barrel of before all this and has been accelerated because of all this.

TL;DR? putin wanted a return to the Soviet Union of sorts? Well in this he looks to be getting his wish.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭shivaz

• Registered Users Posts: 1,392 ✭✭✭nigeldaniel

So, yesterday Putin was not bothered if Sweden and Finland join NATO.

Today Putin is doing his nut over the same thing.

An odd fella that Putin.

Dan.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭Curious_Case

Russian Quantum Theory :

It's not a lie if someone, somewhere, has a cat that's stupid enough to believe it.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement