Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Russia - threadbanned users in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭ZenNature

"For the laugh, if you can be succinct, list some for great "winning!" war gains 🤣 C'mon we could do with a laugh."

I dont think its a laughing matter .

RUSSIA controls 20% of Ukrainian territory, controls all the maritime waters around Ukraine, 2-4 million Ukrainain refugees, the EU is sending it 500million a day, China has made Russia its largest oil partner, India went from 1% to 18% of Russian oil imports, Ruble is at a 15 year high , and the EU is scarred shtless this coming winter because Putin may turn off the taps , with no sign of Putin or his regime being impeded or slowed down in anyway.

Dirty FACTS but FACTS none the less. If you think they are losing based on all that, thats your entitlement.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,930 ✭✭✭Cordell

They lost the admiral warship and in very few instances countries lost ships during land wars but these are just details. As their fearless leader that hides behind ridiculous long tables say, they remain master strategist.

great question "Or at least it should do, unless its being manipulated artificially... "

Partly Biden adminstration curtailing US oil production has impacted on the availability of supply, and it takes time to resume increased production.

But mostly I think your right its manipulation of the price, there is no real shortage. But heh OPEC is coining it, US Oil corporations are making a mint with little incentive to fix this problem, Warren Buffett the worlds richest man has made about 10 billion off the oil price rise.

The list goes on and on as to who is benefiting whilst ordinary poeple pay the price but I think the big issue here is to watch out for Putin bots on forums like this, thats probably the real problem.

Besides dont worry our leaders have it all under control and our best interests at heart, as they always do. When have our leaders ever let us down, trust them to fix it . 😲

• Registered Users Posts: 11,053 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Nailing yer colours well and truly to the mast now. All pretence gone. A supporter of Russian aggression and terrorism. Time to re reg and come back with a new line of patter.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,432 ✭✭✭RedXIV

This the same Russia that Turkey has determined what they are allowed bring in and out of the Black sea getting Maritime superiority :D

I really think you're missing one of the key components to all your determinations that Russia are setting themselves up as an economic powerhouse. They whole world saw them essentially steal billions of dollars worth of equipment in the form of aircrafts. Why would you voluntarily deal with a nation that doesn't respect basic ownership? If I'm a smaller country with limited resources, do I want to invest those resources where they have much more chance of being taken by force?

And again, this is all before the brain drain is taken into consideration. Not much point investing in artic mobile nuclear battle stations if all you can hire is the janitor :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭RGARDINR

Yeah I think whoever is there is exposed big time to the other side. I wouldn't want to posted there one way or the other if I was on whatever army.

"a land war "

I suggest you take a look at a map. Ukraine has a huge coastline ,why do you think Russia is all out trying to capture Mariupol, and Odessa, major black sea ports. Russia is attempting to take its whole Eastern seaboard , making it a landlocked enclave .

The world is worried about famine because grain cannot be sea transported from Ukranian ports and you call this a land war.

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭whatchagonnado

Probably won't be long before good being manufactured on imported Russian resources will be sanctioned too... Now, would India and China care, is another matter.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,640 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Of course they have naval superiority. Ukraine basically doesn't have a navy. NATO naval forces are not going to go in and get involved for the same reason they won't do a no-fly zone.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

No matter how many times you capslock "FACTS", you're just repeating yourself now and with now clear Kremlin spin on top and ignoring the other more troublesome points I raised. I already said it was a farce that Russia's primary oil and gas market, Europe were bankrolling this landgrab and indeed have been financing Russian corruption for twenty years. Now outside the EU, Britain has been washing their dirty money since the fall of the wall and the mass financial rape of the Russian state and people that continues down to today.

You also ignored your link's headline in full: Russia leapfrogs Saudi Arabia as China’s biggest oil supplier—with some help from massive discounts That's an important factor. And you also ignored the "FACT" that Russia has gone back and forth with SA as China's biggest oil supplier for many years, so hardly a new thing. however before this war it wasn't at massive discounts was it. Of course the Chinese are going to take advantage of that. Even France. India too. The latter played both sides in the Cold War depending on which wind favoured them at the time.

The "gender pronouns" and "tolerance" stuff is straight from Kremlin spin too. Old putin has become postively obsessed with that stuff in recent years because it plays to the simple minded in the gallery. As is the "putin is the best man for the job and the alternatives are/were worse" line of thinking. Damn near every Russian I've ever spoken with on the subject of putin has trotted out that line. Well they would, it's putin's line and one he's been peddling since the turn of the century. It's also a long standing Russian refrain of "oh [insert despot here] is bad, but it could be so much worse". They even said that of Stalin. The Russian people have been fúcked for centuries and their defence against that has been to be stoical and well it could be worse. They very nearly threw off that woodwormed yoke in 1917, but sadly and all too quickly went back to the old way of comfortable oppression. The wealth gap in the US of A imight be and s horrific, the wealth gap in Russia is biblically obscene.

The largest nation on Earth also faces a year on year demographic problem that dwarfs even the West's. The largest nation on Earth with the most natural resources should be the richest nation on Earth, yet the American state of Texas alone is richer than them. The largest nation on Earth with her vast resources required Western tech to dig it out and the further north they go that was needed more and more. Tech that is now closed off to them. Tech that will take years to replace locally. Their homegrown IT/chip technology is at least twenty years behind the West's and they've had a trickle of IT flight turning into a flood since this landgrab war. Oh and their nuclear powered icebreakers have been around since the good old days of the Soviet Union and for obvious reasons. The largest nation/empire on earth has bugger all year round ice free ports. Try keeping them going now without the western tech they used when they built the new ones. At least the Soviet ones were near 100% locally produced.

The Chinese will step in? Oh they'll be only too happy to get cheaper oil and keep up "friendly relations" as long as it suits, because the "FACT" is their exports to Mother Russia barely grace the top ten of their existing or growing markets, top of the tree being the US, the EU coming second, both of whom supply the vast majority of their licenced tech. To put the disparity in hard numbers; those in the top ten trading partnerships that are against Russia in this war are worth nearly thirteen trillion Yuan to China in exports, Mother Russia is worth four hundred billion. As the Yanks say; you do the maaaath. Do you really think the Chinese with their own demographic issues, supply problems, post covid problems, their own local geopolitical issues and looming largest asset bubble in human history are really going to pivot to a state with those kinda numbers in play? A pivot that would cost them near uncountable billions in lost trade? If you do then I have some magic beans that might interest you.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,440 ✭✭✭jmreire

As the Russians cannot hold it , and it most likely will need demining, better leave it for now. Mines will deter Russian re-occupation, which will have to be carried out first, unless Ukraine needs it urgently as a place to control shipping in that area.

Only the russians are at sea, and some below it, so this makes it a land war. The missile that sunk moskva were launched from land.

What does Turkey have todo with it.

The Russian BLACK SEA Fleet is located there alreay, the hint is in the name . Russia has about 20 ships and a few submarines in The Black Sea, and a major Naval base, they dont need Turkeys approval for whats already there. Like it or not Rusisan long term planning, whilst NATO was evacuating its ships from the Black Sea, Russia was expanding its prescence there for decades.

"Why would you voluntarily deal with a nation that doesn't respect basic ownership? If I'm a smaller country with limited resources, do I want to invest those resources where they have much more chance of being taken by force? "

That works both ways.

Having seen how the West has confiscated Russia foreign holdings to the tune of 600 billion, many small nations are also thinking why should I deal with the US , they might decide they dont like my regime and confiscate all my holdings.

Theres no shortage of nations queuing up to send Russia money, I dont like , you probably dont like it, but thats the way it is .

Money makes people do strange things, dirty money makes people do even stranger things. Its a dirty world, not always how you want it to be .

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I'm not so sure Jmreire. As was noted previously in this thread, the nazis in Germany lasted not much more than a decade and before them Germany was a sophisticated and quite liberal democratic state and mindset, so when they were done and dusted they reverted to type pretty much overnight. Russia on the other hand has been the same imperial power for centuries, with the same tiny corrupt number at the top, bolstered by religion/communism with regional governers lording over their subjects who in better times got better crumbs from their master's tables. Russia has never been or had a democratic and liberal state and mindset. In some ways I think the only way such a large state can function is under such a system(the US gets away with it for a load of reasons, but one being a conglomeration of federal "local" states with a common overall purpose). If Rome had never fallen the way it did and you wanted to get an idea of what that might have looked like I'd point to Russia(and China to some degree). More isolated in history than not, culturally stagnant for large perios of time, obsessed with historical narratives, centralised with power residing with a ruling elite and obsessed with their borders and threats, military and cultural from "outside forces".

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

"Only the russians are at sea, and some below it, so this makes it a land war. The missile that sunk moskva were launched from land. "

Russia is launching long range cruise missiles from its ships in the Black Sea, Ukrainan forces and civilians are being pounded by this bombarment and you think its just a land war because Russia has dominance over maritime matters and Ukrainian ships cant leave port.

okay , well move the grain by sea so, seeing as how the sea isnt part of this war according to some people.

The fact that Putin and Russia's online flying monkeys cry so very hard about the economic sanctions + keep arguing, get rid of them, you fools are only hurting yourselves etc. etc. tells me our leaders are doing something right there anyway.

Indeed. Note how that poster completely ignored the point that the very reason the Rouble has never been so "strong" is because the sanctions are having an effect and a large one. If the Rouble being strong was the positive his spindoctors paint it, then why has the Russian finance ministry brought in a myriad capital controls and three interest rate slashes in as many months to devalue it? If the Rouble being strong was the positive they spin, surely they'd be trying to strengthen it? They don't because they understand basic economics.

" And yes they're selling oil to India and elsewhere, but they have to ship it as their pipelines(running on western tech that can't be replaced too quickly) run to the West. So it's a lot more expensive for Russia to sell, on top of their discount. And there's the slight problem of Russia defaulting on her debt this week too. "

Glad to see you have moved on from talking about hypothetical mickey mouse trade deals with Mali and are now taking on board the actual FACTS of major multi-billion dollar deals with India and China.

The money from Russia is sitting in an escrow account . Many economists are calling it a technical default. And many economists are saying its more of a problem for the bond holders who havent gotten paid than for Russia.

Yep Russia has to ship is oil, why would you think thats such an isuse. How do you think the LNG will get to Europe from the US or Saudi Oil gets to Europe.

Always good to see new nonsense. NATO the warmongers left the Black Sea because eh... they're warmongers? Christ.

When the sanctions kicked off the west was claiming that the rouble would crash .

But in fact the rouble has been the best performing currency in 2022 . Yep their Central Bank is having to take measures to handle a strong currency.

There are few absolutes in life. Is a strong rouble 100% good, probably not, is it 100% bad probably not either, is it better than the predicted crash of the rouble absolutely. You can be sure our leaders expected the rouble to crash because of their sanctions and did not foresee this outcome, they over played their hand, no doubt.

If you think the sanctions are working then your entitled to your opinion, another 500 million went from the EU to Russian coffers today, your squeeze on Russian finances continues unabated, and when you stand at the petrol pump and look at the grocery receipt, keep in mind some of that money is going direct to Putin and his regime thanks to our leaders sanctions.

Ordinary citizens in Ireland are paying more and their extra costs is going direct to Putins regime to fund his invasion of Ukraine . Strangely people here seem okay with that.

The war isn't funny. The murderous, raping butchers calling themselves the Russian army is far from laughable.

You claiming Russia effectively shítting its pants is somehow worthy of the carnage it has brought on itself is hilarious... you're funny... понять?

"RUSSIA controls 20% of Ukrainian territory, controls all the maritime waters around Ukraine, 2-4 million Ukrainain refugees,"

The Mighty Russia going all out (bar full mobilisation) cannot defeat the poorest country in Europe's military. It thought it could do it in three days, and with little to no help (at that time) had to scurry away from Kyiv. Fuking useless clowns. Re controlling maritime waters around Ukraine, see my earlier post. You can write, but can you read? As for kidnapping millions of refugees. Since when are war crimes an achievement? That's some warped mind you've got comrade.

"the EU is sending it 500million a day," It was a lot more, and will be a lot less in 6, 12 months time. Slow hand clap for Putin economics.

"China has made Russia its largest oil partner," Historically, China has been Russia's enemy and now it's reduced to selling China (making Russia's enemy stronger) cheap oil... Oh, China will buy oil off ye on the cheap... Feeding your neighbour monster there buddy.

"India went from 1% to 18% of Russian oil imports," Yeah, people filling their boots with something cheap... is this a revelation for you?

"Ruble is at a 15 year high" It's been explained numerous times before why that's of total irrelevance and because you keep trotting this out, are you A) A Troll, B) Russian "bot) C) Attention seeking ghoul willing to side with a dying empire that's raping Ukrainian children to get a response?

"and the EU is scarred shtless this coming winter because Putin may turn off the taps" Nobody is scared of Russian turning off the taps, we'll manage. He's turned off the taps to countries already, no major issue there you can point to. If Russia turns off the taps to the likes of Germany he may as well take a russian gun (hoping it actually works), point at his head and pull the trigger.

"ith no sign of Putin or his regime being impeded or slowed down in anyway." Fantasy stuff again, he's gone backwards in Ukraine, and at a standstill most elsewhere. You absolute fool of a troll.

"Dirty FACTS but FACTS none the less." Facts, gawd... how much is Russia paying you to spout such Rubbish.

"If you think they are losing based on all that, thats your entitlement." Runaway Putinbot, you worthless shill.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,107 ✭✭✭yagan

It feels like every nutjob that obsessed about 5g has now amassed behind Russia as their new cause. Didn't take long.

Yep NATO left the Black Sea, 1 month before invasion started. Think of the difference if they had kept a prescence there, would a few Ukrainian lives have been saved, I suspect so .

But you call this nonsense. I call it a failure by NATO to save some Ukrainiain lives.

Perhaps NATO need more Artificial Intelligence to figure out good strategic moves.

Apparently Russia withdrew from snake's Island as a gesture of good will. It's not even funny anymore.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,640 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Yep NATO left the Black Sea, 1 month before invasion started. Think of the difference if they had kept a prescence there, would a few Ukrainian lives have been saved, I suspect so .

How?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,512 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

I've seen the Russian Ministry of Defence and state TV repeatedly state things factually that could have been disproven within five minutes by a quick Google search.

" I'm not so sure Jmreire. As was noted previously in this thread, the nazis in Germany lasted not much more than a decade and before them Germany was a sophisticated and quite liberal democratic state and mindset, so when they were done and dusted they reverted to type pretty much overnight "

Yep if you ignore WWI, the Sileasian wars in the 1800s and 500 years 900-1500 of 'Drang nach Osten' or drive to the eastm the Hanseatic League 1250-1450, The Teutonic Knights 1470s, a consistent theme of German conquest colonialism and trade , not to mention the East African colonisation by Bismark in the 1800s, German was indeeed sophisticated and liberal.. just dont mention the warS.

Does anyone ever consider pro-German spin as a thing ?

Pity you're avoiding all the other points raised while capslocking "FACTS" thinking this makes them so. Russia's economy is small by world standards, microscopic by the standards of her size and natural resources. All they have is oil and gas, and nukes. They're a run down petrol station with a shotgun. Now when you need petrol you will drop in, but the more the owner waves his shotgun about the more people will look elsewhere even if it costs more, while others will drop in if he slashes his prices. Not a great business model.

And yep their money is "resting in an account" because of the sanctions. Sanctions that won't be lifted any time soon. They're essentially cut off from international finance and money markets and international delivery systems and leasing and insurance and that gets worse as the months and weeks pass. I'm afraid they're the "FACTS". I may have a million quid in my bank account, but if my card is blocked and stops working and the bank is unwilling to replace it, I'm broke.

Some did, many didn't and looked at their gas/oil revenues coming in. A strong Rouble is not good at all. Oh it's better than a complete crash, but that's like saying a slow growing tumour is better than a fast growing one. Untreated the result will be the same. More, the very reasons the Rouble grew in strength are because of the widespread negatives of sanctions and why the Russians are struggling to devalue it. Oh and it's only strong domestically. Nobody's buying Roubles as investment.

As for being happy about it all? I'm not happy at all that putin and his gangster state has plunged the world into this shít, but I'd personally be quite happy to pay double for petrol if it meant Russia got their coughs softened and threw out putin because of it. I already avoid buying Chinese made goods where and when I can and am quite happy to pay more rather than support that totalitarian state. I feel sorry for Ukrainians, but I also feel sorry for the Russian people. Not a popular sentiment with some I'm sure. I view them akin to an abused spouse who have come to see abuse as some twisted love and they deserve much better. But like all too many abuse victims they need to break that hold themselves. The west, or rather Europe - as the US would just be abusive in different ways. They'd buy them flowers afterwards - Europe had an opportunity to give support in the 90's and 00's and in some ways tried, but it sadly came to nought.

Look son, if you want to start listing the imperial and other ballsology of Mother Russia since the 13th century(🤣) we'll run out of keystrokes. And throughout Russia remained a largely isolated feudal state of peasants lorded over and literally owned as serfs by a tiny number of inbred nobility and churchmen.

Oh and Germany has been a liberal democracy. Russia hasn't been.

" The Mighty Russia going all out (bar full mobilisation) cannot defeat the poorest country in Europe's military. It thought it could do it in three days, and with little to no help (at that time) had to scurry away from Kyiv. Fuking useless clowns. "

James Holland one of the worlds greatest military historians said recently that he estimated Ukaine had 400,000 troops , far out numbering the Russian army.

You say the Russian army are useless clowns.

FACTS not me, say Russia controls 20% of Ukraine, and has ultimate dominance of its maritime waters and most of its ports and all this whilst Russia is generating more revenue than it has ever done in its history. Are you sure these are useless clowns ?

"You claiming Russia effectively shítting its pants is somehow worthy of the carnage it has brought on itself is hilarious... "

I never said anything of the like . If you can find where I said something like that please post , and I will happily retract it. I dont like discussing things with people who lie about what I said.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement