Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Russia - threadbanned users in OP

Options

Comments

And how much of that product* I consumed came from Russia? Nada. You do realise Russia has far from a Monopoly on those products? The Western world is looking to move away from dealing with Psycho Putin... takes time, that's all. If you're living outside Russia, it might be time to think about defecting... 'Just popping out to buy, erm, a newspaper from these bourgeois capitalist scum!' PM if you need someone to arrange contacts.

*I'm grand for cereals thanks, gluten intolerant (as are a lot of people, I just realise it).

• Registered Users Posts: 12,408 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

HIMARS definitely seem to be having an impact. Excuse the pun. The ammo of ammo dumps hit recently gives this credibility. Fair bit of damage behind Kherson now and Russian resources stressed. While we've had a lot of bad news lately, Kherson could see a breakthrough within couple of weeks. But the Orcs may yet reinforce the south after they have secured recent gains.

All Eyes On Rafah

• Registered Users Posts: 1,159 ✭✭✭declanflynn

Aah leave it out, the Russians cant even make a washing machine

• Registered Users Posts: 12,408 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

An awful lot of modern equipment on it's way to the Ukraine, the Russians on here are going to get a nasty suprise when this equipment and soldiers trained to use it arrive near the front, it takes a fair bit of time from announcing new equipment is being sent to when Russian bodies are being eaten by the crows

• Advertisement

Once the west gets its spending even up to half that level the Russians will be obliterated.

We have to remember the US always despised the Russians as did almost every country in Europe so this is the perfect opportunity to give them a beating from which they will never recover from and the best bit is that Putin started it

It's like the school bully has just punched the kid that can beat him, now the bully gets beaten to a pulp and every kid in the school gives him a kick when he is down

Putin lost this war when he started it which is a bad position to start from

• Registered Users Posts: 11,058 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Which is why we may just as likely see escalation and more direct military help to Ukraine to drive Russian forces out and bring this to a quicker conclusion. Regime change in Russia is the real key to sorting this out, an off ramp to allow new leadership to rewrite current history and put all blame on Putin's regime - mea culpa etc and can we please go back to where we were 6 months ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,035 ✭✭✭timmyntc

Even Russia's much persecuted opposition figurehead Navalny, who was poisoned and imprisoned by the Kremlin, supports military action in Ukraine.

The idea that a rival faction in Russia can take down Putin and his support and then do a 180 and pull out of Ukraine is absurd. Not a hope that would happen. Sooner see the whole country collapse and balkanise

• Registered Users Posts: 2,214 ✭✭✭wylo

What? Navalny is completely opposed to the war in Ukraine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,658 ✭✭✭storker

I believe there is/was(?) a thing called the "Lob-Toss" technique whereby aircraft would actually release bombs while climbing to give the weapon additional range - bombs don't fall straight down and can cover quite a bit of ground before hitting (or missing) depending on aircraft speed, attitude and altitude at the time of release. I think it was also a way of launching without overflying the target, and was even a way to use intervening high ground for protection. I'm pretty sure this was a non-precision technique though, although guided attacks might be possible if someone on the ground was "lasing" the target. I suspect the Russians are trying a crude version of this.

Over to those who know more than I do...

Post edited by storker on

The "home of Chess" has only produced two out of the eight world champions that there have been since 2000 (and one of the others was Ukrainian). The Russian hegemony over the chess world, like its superpower status, is more memory than fact.

And it shows in Putin's handling of this war. If we're insisting on applying a chess analogy then Putin is at worst a complete patzer, at best an ineffective wood-pusher.

A draw is actually worth 1/2 a point (a win is worth 1 point), and chess players of all nations know this. It was decided in Scotland back in the 19th century, not in Russia. This information is not given for the sake of pedantry, merely to indicate another area in which Russian greatness is more apparent than real.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

China is flat despite grandiose proclamations

And China's buying Russian oil at big discounts and Russia has to ship said oil which adds to their costs.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Shoot me down in flames if ye will, but I've always been a little dubious about Navalny or at least how putin deals with him, or doesn't. Now it's clear putin has shown no problem with killing off opponents locally and across the globe and pretty publicly with it to the degree that novichok is damned near a meme, and has already apparently tried to poison him. Yet Navalny is in Russia, in custody and still breathing? Why is he still breathing? Why is he still able to get his thoughts and message across? Something doesn't add up for me here.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭ZenNature

yep folks breaking news. Russia has to ship oil . Sure what hope have they .

They dont have access to the magic broom stick that the Saudis use to ship their oil around the world.

Dont worry a mod will be along to save you shortly.

You seem to have the horn for this mod thing as if that means some authority is in play. I hate to break it to you, we don't all bow to authoritarianism. I really do seem to grind your gears. I wonder why...

yep China is flat..

CNBC dont know what they are talking about, CNBC are obviously Putin bots with their figures showing Chinas Russian oil imports are reaching record levels.

" China’s seaborne Russian oil imports will jump to a near-record 1.1 million barrels per day (bpd) in May, up from 750,000 bpd in the first quarter and 800,000 bpd in 2021, according to an estimate by Vortexa Analytics.

Unipec, the trading arm of Asia’s top refiner Sinopec, is leading the purchases, along with Zhenhua Oil, a unit of China’s defense conglomerate Norinco, according to shipping data, a shipbroker report seen by Reuters and five traders. Livna Shipping Ltd, a Hong Kong-registered firm, has also recently emerged as a major shipper of Russian oil into China, the traders said. "

And in this utopian world of course there is no dodgy deals going on where Russian oil is being bought and relabeled to avoid scrutiny, its the OIL business after all a business of honour nothing dodgy ever happens in that industry.

I wondered that the first time I saw a story about something that Navalny had Tweeted or e-mailed...from prison? It doesn't sound very Russian does it.

Why does America still use Soyuz rockets to put its astronauts in space?

Yep posters here think Russia cant make a washing machine , and NASA was using Rusisan SOYUZ rockets until 2022 to hitch a ride into space.

Its not even a challenge anymore to dismiss the counter argument.

Maybe posters cant distinguish between a washing machine and a Soyuz MS-19 , so I have provided a picture .

One is a washing machine, the other is a Soyuz rocket which NASA and the ESA has used for years to get back and forth from the ISS.

See if you can figure out which one is which, and then come back and make a post about Russian technology.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,204 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

A lot of it depends on the specific area that they dig into. If Ukraine has longer range artillery then it will make warfare in the open country harder for the russians. But there will still be certain places where the russians can dig in and defend. The worst for the Ukrainians would be in Russians decided to fortify a large town or city.

.. a wierd artillery doctrine... is that what you call it .

" fire dumb munitions, hope they hit something " .. .gain 20% of Ukrainian territory , capture Luhansk and the bulk of Donetsk that sort of wierd and dumb action

First time I ever heard a military campaign that captured the opponents territory as wierd and dumb.

Are you imnplying they should adopt the Ukrainian not-wierd & not-dumb doctrine where they lose ground of strategic importance.

heh around here some people think paying more to fill the car is winning economical.

Face reality , dont underestimate your opponent maybe then the West can defeat Putin.

Unfortunately I think the head in the sand , dont tell me the real news cos its bad attitude prevalent around here is also in our leaders thinking. They think if they just ignore facts and reality that it will all magically get better.

Yep and as has been pointed out to you; the Soyuz system is brilliant(as is some other Russian aerospace kit*), but it is over fifty years old built by the command economy of the USSR and after that fell has been upgraded since using American money and western computing tech. Her replacement is now stalled because it relied upon the same Western cash and tech. Not unlike their homegrown aero industry. And yep, America really dropped the ball after the overpriced sideshow that was the Shuttle programme had to be put into museums, but now a company like SpaceX are doing things the Russian space agency could only dream of. If NASA's a pale shadow of what they once were the Russian space agency is even paler.

And it has also been pointed out to you the very device you're using couldn't be made in Russia. They're at least a decade behind in chip production and development and this internet you're using which has been one of the biggest changes in human history, well Russia had about as much to do with that as Malta. So yes Russia designed, built and flew the fantastic Soyuz for over fifty years, but they couldn't make the simple washing machine you pictured. "FACT" if you like.

*Russia got the drop on everybody in the early days of spaceflight with a genius like Korolev at the helm and the geniuses he gathered around him this was no surprise. A load of firsts followed, which freaked out the "West" in a big way. Then the Americans got into gear, Korolev sadly died and the US leaped ahead in damned near everything, but then lost their way(save for their probe programme), while Russia concentrated on near Earth stuff to great effect. We wouldn't have the ISS without them and Mir.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭zv2

“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” — Voltaire

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

They also use Space-X, in fact that does most of the work but that's a bit of an inconvenient fact. Really have no idea what this brings to any debate on the current situation. TBH it's become your approach to work backwards from a predetermined conclusion by reversing a truckload of facts over every other poster. I mostly enjoy this thread and I'm really not here to have a go at posters, even those I disagree with, or who offer up opinions that may need corrections, have something to contribute.

Your posts , however, are increasingly the same ;posters are clueless, Western leaders are braindead and have screwed us and Russia is doing some things right or a more recent favourite, is smarter than everyone else. It's not a really a surprise that posters question your motivation here.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭zv2

Read a theory once about how chess is encouraged in Russia to absorb intellectuals into a harmless game. Go figure...

“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” — Voltaire

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭strathspey

Let's come at this from a different angle. This war is probably the most fantastic war America has ever fought. It hasn't had to commit a single soldier and will now manage to deplete their arch enemy slowly. I don't think America has ant desire to end this war quickly. I actually believe that America has every intention of dragging this out for as long as it takes to hobble Russia permanently.

Another win for the west coming up folks . And this guys moniker is "if your not aware your stupid you probably are " .. you couldnt make it up !

Russia is turning off the gas pipes, no more filling up EU gas storage . We have the Russians exactly where we want them now The wests winning economic strategy is kicking in.

Winning is so easy, Chemical Ali will be along any minute to explain how this is all part of the winning economic strategy.

If we in the west are lucky , Putin will keep the taps off for the winter, and then we should ask the referee to blow it up, call time on it, cos the winning will have gone off the charts.

A mod will come rescue you soon, dont fret.

yep that will be interesting.

Clearly Russia targeted civilians when taking cities, to create chaos etc, does this mean Ukraine will have have to do the same thing , targeting civilians if they hope to retake these cities.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,058 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Probably, but those left will either be Russian military, Russian settlers or the very few Pro Russian original residents left.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement