Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Russia - threadbanned users in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭zv2

“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” — Voltaire

It is becoming more obvious that there is no way Russia can redeem itself. They have lost all moral authority in this and even if Putin is defeated, the world will not trust them for decades to come.

“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” — Voltaire

• Registered Users Posts: 8,097 ✭✭✭threeball

They've done as they liked up to now and will continue to do so with no real push back. I cant see there ever being a reckoning for Putin or his cronies. The west doesn't have the stomach to take him on and he knows it. We'll throw money at a problem just so long as it doesn't affect our lives negatively.

I've been extremely disappointed in the response of the EU and even the US has been slow to really put Russia on the back foot. The Ukrainians have become pawns in a larger game of geopolitical chess. The EU trying to keep their economies ticking along as if nothing was happening and the US trying to bleed Russia slowly. If I was Ukrainian I'd be nearly as piss#d off with the west as I would be with Russia.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,665 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

I've been extremely disappointed in the response of the EU and even the US has been slow to really put Russia on the back foot. The Ukrainians have become pawns in a larger game of geopolitical chess. The EU trying to keep their economies ticking along as if nothing was happening and the US trying to bleed Russia slowly. If I was Ukrainian I'd be nearly as piss#d off with the west as I would be with Russia.

The US is providing significant amounts of firepower to Ukraine and continuing to announce new deliveries. The EU has already significantly impacted their imports from Russia and are continuing on an irreversible course to reduce it further.

Their response may be less than we would want, but it is also unprecedented and pretending like it is piecemeal or token is ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,173 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

Exactly. Is it seriously time for Nato to directly confront Russia because it is now a terrorist state. A terrorist state that is openly killing civilians and committing war crimes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,408 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

I'd say Poland is just itching for one shell or rocket to land over the border and then give Russia a bloody nose.

All Eyes On Rafah

Dramatic. Notice the woman top left corner looking over her shoulder-

• Registered Users Posts: 8,818 ✭✭✭SeanW

There's no doubt that EU/US/UK efforts have been substantial but it's clearly not enough. With each passing day it becomes more and more clear that the Russian Federation is basically ISIS with an air force and artillery. We need to change course to cut them out of our economies and our way of life and we need to do NOW. No excuses and no delays.

Ireland's response has been particularly pathetic. As far as I can tell, we have no plans whatsoever to wean our economy, electricity generation system etc off from natural gas (much of Europe's supply comes from Russia) and no plan on doing anything to help ourselves deal with potential gas shortages (LNG import terminals, gas storage etc). We should now be carrying out an emergency programme to help poor/elderly people to replace gas fired central heating with literally anything else (oil, solid fuel etc) to be done before this winter comes, while planning to not rely on gas for electricity from this winter onwards.

Russian murdering scum have already killed many times more civilians in Ukraine than Al Qaeda did in the US on the September 11th attacks. It's long past time to start treating them like the terrorist murdering scum they are.

I don't care if there's a bit more inflation or if petrol goes even higher than today, I will live. Ukrainian civilians? We can't be so sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭20silkcut

Our government and our European counterparts are hell bent on continuing their insane energy policies which drives us further into dependence on the likes of the Russians. The Russian situation should trump the climate emergency at the moment. They are killing innocent ordinary people with impunity right before our eyes. It’s not worth having a world like this anyway if that’s what’s acceptable and we have to live with.

is this going to be the response to Ukraine hitting military targets with more accuracy?

They can’t accept their ammunition dumps being blown up so they make mincemeat of civilians. What a shower? Utter shameful pathetic bastards.

Post edited by 20silkcut on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,518 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

The story of that little girl with Down syndrome being killed today is horrendous, one of the worst of the whole war. These guys are just ISIS in military uniforms - how they will ever live these atrocities down is anyone's guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭xxxxxxl

Been like that for 30 years in the west tbh. Our enemies have been over hyped.

Currencies are another factor, but the crude price is dropping faster than the Euro, hence price drops at the pumps.

Personally, the stronger the dollar the better considering that’s where my assets are 😄

• Registered Users Posts: 16,204 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

I think you should copy your reply and save it somewhere. You're going to be using it a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭Darth Putin

I would not be surprised if we hear of more weaponry being announced soon, possibly training of pilots on f16s to begin

so far that has been response to atrocities by Russians

speaking of atrocities 😞

• Registered Users Posts: 1,993 ✭✭✭rogber

It is disgusting and also depressing that these events are slipping way down the news headlines in the West now as the general public seems increasingly indifferent to the whole thing and needs fresh catastrophes for their news kicks. I just hope military and humanitarian aid is maintained at a high level

• Registered Users Posts: 2,578 ✭✭✭Field east

Would those ‘ kidnapped’ not have been Russian speaking mainly and therefor would be shipped back again to repopulate the captured areas and be expected to be Pro Russian - whether they agreed or not. Just a thought

• Registered Users Posts: 8,173 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

• Registered Users Posts: 4,883 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

I would disagree (with first sentence!), and not sure where you get that idea from (that they are hell bent continuing dependence on Russia).

Most of the EU countries seem to be awake and in scramble mode to get off the Russian hydrocarbons (apart from Hungary - their leader + ruling party thinks tickling Putin's bollox a bit every so often will ensure all will be well for them).

Ireland is doing nothing because we are incabable of planning and the Irish electorate don't really want this from government anyway (though they will of course blame government for not planning when the evil day comes). We prefer not to think pessimistic thoughts or hear negativity. We believe in a pollyanna "sure will be grand" philiosophy, and kind of like this to be reflected by our politicians and government policy from what I can see.

The Irish electorate are mostly BANANAs too (build absolutely nothing anywhere near anyone) when it comes to big, ugly infrastructure that keeps a rich industrial economy going, or sometimes even just places for people to live in! Even building new hospitals is controversial.

We can only react to crises when they hit (which in this case will be moment UK either turns down, or god forbid turns off the taps on our gas this winter).

Things are getting worse in the motherland

The plan to replace planes and trains which rely on western components is with zeppelin’s

I kid ya not!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,214 ✭✭✭wylo

I dont agree with the picture being painted by some of the posters here about the poor Western response. I think there is an element of naivety in the posts. Keeping our economies at least relatively stable is in absolutely everyone's interest, including Ukraines and I think Zelenksyy knows this. The fallout from a total collapse in the EU economy could be enough to give Russia an even bigger morale boost and push harder into Ukraine. Not to mention the bigger the fallout the less sympathy Europeans may begin to have for Ukrainians. Or another fallout is larger scale war with China interfering. A semi non-nuclear WW3 could happen which would be a collection of proxy wars across the world with far more bloodshed.

It sounds terrible but everything is relative, wars are started but everything must be done (within reason) not to escalate. Russia are currently occupying Eastern Ukraine (and murdering civilians) and have been indirectly since 2014. The West have implemented unprecedented sanctions and are arming and training Ukrainians. NATO are upping their presence in Eastern Europe by 10 times.

Putin declared at the start of the war that if any country interferes they will "face consequences greater than any you have faced in history". Despite this threat I think we can all agree the West have absolutely interfered and are doing so every day, both militarily and economically.

This is not the same as the poor response by the Allies when Hitler starting seizing territory around him in the 1930s.

The west is helping, it could be more but the strategy of flooding Ukraine worth ever more advanced weapons is genius

The Russian military is like a frog being boiled alive

And help is not just military us in Ireland accepting refugees helps, France sending bridges helps

And so on

Here is more gear from Sweden

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭JoChervil

With what? PiS (ruling party) damaged our army. First thing they did was cancelling 50 Caracals from France deal. And they weaken our army with exchanging good officers for very bad ones. Now we gave our tanks with no replacement.

I think Putin attacked Ukraine just now counting on 3 days win and then taking Poland. Poland was betrayed too many times, so I don't trust much NATO in that case as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭20silkcut

Recent government policy appears to be very much about closing off options for energy source diversity.

Yep blocking construction of LNG terminal is a personal little crusade of Eamonn’s

Making fracking illegal despite 15 years worth of gas around Sligo shale basin

Thats gas that could be produced domestically and used during transition period instead same amounts of gas have to come from abroad.

Germany has similar policies because apparently Russian gas is the ****

• Registered Users Posts: 4,883 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

I think there is (or was) local opposition to that terminal as well but not sure of extent of it? (Irish water, waste, energy, and fuel supply is all supposed to be invisible, cost zero cents, never inconvenience a soul and run off pure unicorn farts.). The Irish Green Party's fantasies + rigid ideology and power they have in government are a big problem as well though.

EDIT - think was reading recently the country cannot store any natural gas so there is no way to prepare a "back up" stock either. Mostly just have to sit and watch situation (apart from developing or dusting down rationing and emergency plans for the worst happening and gas is short + there's a "Beast From The East" baltic few weeks this winter). Well, I hope it stays fine for us anyway!

Russian headquarters and barracks hit in Kherson region: The Ukrainian army destroyed a Russian headquarters and barracks in the settlement of Nova Mayachka in the Kherson region on Thursday evening.

These attacks against civilians (now using S300 rockets meant for anti aircraft use) reek of desperation

similar to Hitler flinging V2 rockets at UK in ending years of WW2 with aim of terrorising the population

• Registered Users Posts: 12,408 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Keeping an eye on this. Russian propaganda before a possible ZZ strike on it.

All Eyes On Rafah

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,518 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Yes indeed, it's more like the summer of 1944 rather than summer 1940. That city that was hit yesterday, Vinnytsia was south west of Kyiv and hundreds of miles from the frontline. Attacking it could have been of no possible benefit to their war effort.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement