Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Russia - threadbanned users in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,451 ✭✭✭jmreire

Unless the march on the Kremlin will be by the Russian citizens themselves,,,,,but even that could trigger a nuclear " event" by an enraged Putin,

You got to hand it to the Russians they make sure their tank crews enjoy instant death once struck, avoids any possibility of a lingering death (or much chance of survival).

• Registered Users Posts: 13,826 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

They have been at that shi7 and rubbish all their lives.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,546 ✭✭✭political analyst

Obviously, a decision by all EU member states to immediately stop taking gas from Russia would cause an economic depression in Europe. But would that decision cause the Russian armed forces to grind to a halt?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭Dufflecoat Fanny

the yanks can provide all the EU with gas by tanker. bit more expensive but there won't be a shortage

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,036 ✭✭✭joseywhales

In fairness that's not certain and it would be more that a bit more expensive. I think it's like 3x the cost and it will increase with demand

• Registered Users Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭weisses

I'm not obsessive at all ... you have some interesting posts .... but if you start talking about non existent nuclear sea mines near the Irish coast and are actually believing a European partner and Nato member will shoot down Ukranian aircraft when they fly over their airspace I will call you out on that nonsense ... you have not provided one single shred of evidence that what you posted exists in our reality .......

The Russian Defense Ministry is likely trying to assuage distress that Ukraine’s effective use of the US HIMARS is causing Russian military personnel and milbloggers with inaccurate claims of destroying HIMARS launchers. Russian Defense Minister Sergey Shoigu claimed that Russian forces have destroyed six US-provided HIMARS and other Western-supplied military equipment in Ukraine in a conference call with the Russian Armed Forces leadership on August 2.The Russian Defense Ministry also released a video claiming to have destroyed a building that housed two HIMARS launchers in Kharkiv Oblast on August 1. Ukrainian Southern Command Chief Andriy Kovalchuk said that Russian forces did not destroy any HIMARS, and an unnamed Finnish official called Russian claims ”wishful thinking.”The Ukrainian Main Military Intelligence Directorate (GUR) also reported that Russian defense authorities are covering up Russian servicemember casualties by transporting wounded Russians in civilian cars and misreporting the number of casualties caused by Ukrainian HIMARS strikes in the media.Ukrainian HIMARS strikes have prompted many milbloggers and military correspondents to express concern over the effectiveness of air defense systems and the threats to Russian logistics, and these strikes are likely demoralizing Russian servicemen on the ground.

Initial and unconfirmed reports from August 2 suggest that Iran may have sent the first batch of UAVs to Russia for field testing. A US-based open-source intelligence (OSINT) Twitter account citing unofficial Iranian sources claimed that Iran sent a batch of UAVs to Russia, along with Iranian pilots and technicians who will train for the use and repair of Russian Su-35 aircraft.While ISW cannot independently confirm this claim, it is consistent with recent reports that Tehran and Moscow are pursuing greater aviation cooperation in order to circumvent international sanctions on Russia and Iran and support Russian operations in Ukraine.If true, this claim suggests that Iran may be receiving Russian Su-35 aircraft in return for the drones, which could have been part of an agreement signed by Moscow and Tehran on July 26.The agreement stipulated that Iran would increase the volume of passenger flights to Russia and additionally repair Russian aircraft.Tehran may seek to use this agreement to facilitate the acquisition of Russian combat aircraft

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,670 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

It would cause a recession, but its also worth pointing out that when it comes to winter time people will die directly because of it. And no, it absolutely would not cause the Russian armed forces to grind to a halt unfortunately.

There is nowhere near enough LNG terminal capacity for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭paul71

Thank you Podge, I said this a long time ago. From the comfort of our frost free temperate winter Island we are great keyboard warriors when it comes to lecturing people living north of the Alps, and East of the Rhine about buying Russian gas. I spent 5 winters in Czech Mountains, there is no surviving -24 without gas.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭zv2

I heard they discovered a large gas field in Norway. If so they should develop that asap.

Norway’s political tussle over new gas supplies – POLITICO

“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” — Voltaire

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

Was listening to an interview with William Hague yesterday.

Apparently in 2011 or so, when himself and Cameron visited Moscow, Putin was all smiles and backslapping trying to induce them to allow a gas pipeline from Russia to the UK. He had elaborate plans all ready to present to them.

Whether it was protecting the North Sea energy industry or for more strategic reasons, both Hague and Cameron immediately killed the idea dead straight away.

Just goes to show that this has been a long-game from the Kremlin.

These people have lost the plot - if they ever had it in the first place

“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” — Voltaire

• Registered Users Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭nigeldaniel

100% correct about that. Russia's plans could well have been first thought up 25 years ago when Putin was in the FSB. The manner in which Russia took full control of its oil and gas business should have sent out a warning.

Dan.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭nigeldaniel

10 years from now, I can see a lot of Duma fanatics in exile or doing porridge.

Dan.

@kamilkazani did a good thread on Twitter about russian oil & gas a while back. Basically that the mafia, given russia is a mafia state, took over the relatively simple extractive industries because that's what they could understand and steal more easily.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭RGARDINR

I wonder with the tensions ramped up between China, Taiwan and USA will this possibly make China supply Russia with arms etc. now.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Someone described Sabines viewpoint as "Whats Russias is Russias - Whats Ukraines is up for negotiation"

And that's the bottom line for the likes of her.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,278 ✭✭✭thomil

I doubt that, to be honest. Whilst Russia and the PRC are certainly both anti-western, they're not really on "friendly" friendly terms and are actually active competitors in some areas. China has had ambitions in Central Asia for quite some time now and are probably watching the increasing split between Kazakhstan and Russia very closely, even if they're not actively encouraging it, at least not yet. As Russia's influence in this area wanes as a consequence of the war, China will be eager to fill that void, and they're likely not going to make any moves that could weaken their position, such as supplying their main competitor with weapons.

Then there's the question of whether the majority of weapons systems would be compatible with the Russian arsenal in the first place. Whilst small-arms ammunition or "dumb" artillery shells shouldn't be too much of an issue, China has, over the last couple of decades, developed some highly advanced weapons systems of their own, and I doubt many of these were built with international compatibility in mind. So even if China were to provide some of its more advanced weapons systems, which they in all likelihood wouldn't for the reasons outlined above, I wouldn't be surprised if they fit into a Russian BTG about as well as an F-14 would in a WW2 Royal Navy carrier air group.

Good luck trying to figure me out. I haven't managed that myself yet!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭EOQRTL

Really seems to be dropping off the news cycle now more people concerned about what it's doing to the cost of living crisis than what Putrid is doing to innocent civilians.

The situation at the nuclear power plant is what worries me the most at present tbh. A lot of people seem completely obvious to the fact the biggest nuclear power plant on the planet is being used as a staging point for a war. I actually can't get my head around how seriously devastating that could be for the world if the smallest thing goes wrong. We read a lot of sh1t in the news that's designed to keep us living in fear but this potentially critical situation warrants nearly zero coverage in the media. It's frankly bonkers.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,516 ✭✭✭roosterman71

I wonder (conspiracy theory style) if the US going to Taiwan, and the Chinese ramping up the threats is actually a distraction where the US and China are in cahoots for the Chinese to possibly look north and go after part of a weakened Russia?

Which in my mind makes sense as the Chinese would hoover up huge resources just on their doorstep and that seems to make a lot more sense than fighting over an island

• The nuclear powerplants should of been internationally protected from the beginning. It might be one of those things Putin blows up if he loses just for spite.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

The big question is should Russia still be allowed to exist around nuclear systems, given its potential to make the whole world go bang through malice or recklessness?

Chernobyl should have been a wake up call as to how badly they can **** up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭RGARDINR

Yeah I saysay y

I say you are right more just. I was thinking even if they supplied them with like you say artillery shells small arms etc. Keep the advance stuff back for themselves. It's more I'm wondering are China seeing tht a weak Russia even tho it plays into Chinese hands a good bit plays more into America's hands that they will then fully concentrate on China then since it will take Russia years to get back to some semblance of a way it was.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,131 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

Nothing newsworthy is happening.

Every day Ukraine blows up an ammo dump or military depot and Russia fires some rockets into some civilian area. The front line isn't moving. Russian attacks are repelled. Ukraine is not mounting much of a counter-offensive yet.

China - US is the story of the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,278 ✭✭✭thomil

The US is not the only major power that China has to worry about. Across the Himalayas, India is becoming increasingly assertive, and the two countries have clashed in the past. In addition, Japan and South Korea are both heavily armed and Japan in particular seems to be shedding some of its traditional post-WW2 self-control. The Japanese Self-Defense Force is already one of the largest militaries on the planet, and they're becoming increasingly outward-focused. The conversion of the Izumo class "destroyers" into aircraft carriers, the planned acquisition of a Wasp-Class LHD from the US Navy and the recent commissioning of a small but capable fleet of fleet supply vessels all serve to illustrate that point.

China has consistently been under a magnifying glass for the last few decades, and a US pivot to Asia had already been started under the Obama administration. Even with Russia out of the picture, there won't be a major shift in the strategic picture for Beijing. They have bigger things to worry about, such as an increasing outflow of manufacturing to cheaper countries as Chinese labor becomes increasingly more expensive and China as a manufacturing base becomes less attractive. The recent near-collapse of global supply chains in the wake of the COVID-19 pandemic will only have accelerated this process.

Good luck trying to figure me out. I haven't managed that myself yet!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

China - US is the story of the day.

Very briefly - that'll be over in a day or two.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭SortingYouOut

Beverly Hills, California

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement