Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Russia - threadbanned users in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭Banana Republic 1

Social media provides flood of images of death and carnage from Ukraine war – and contributes to weaker journalism standards

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭Banana Republic 1

My point is Europe is now rolling out the read carpet for MBS now that Putin has turned of the taps. MBS is buying oil of Russia so they can sell more of their oil to the west and the west is ok with that. It will never end, this type of stuff.

Nothing new there, a few Russian authors who served as conscripts in Chechnya have written about how some units left the bodies of Chechans in crucifixion poses on trucks, houses etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,747 ✭✭✭zv2

“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” — Voltaire

• Registered Users Posts: 1,995 ✭✭✭rogber

Unfortunately the world is full of awful people and in politics you have to deal with at least some of them. Russia is villain of the year for understandable reasons so the villain of 2 years ago, MBS, gets a temporary pardon. It's not pretty but hard to avoid.

However it does deliver ammunition to people who say the West is hypocritical and always preaches how it's a culture built on universal human rights and values, yet when necessary is perfectly prepared to support awful regimes with no respect for these values at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,930 ✭✭✭Cordell

And Europe it's so dependant of imported oil and gas, specifically imported from Russia because Russia made sure that Europe bans fracking and moves away from nuclear. Yes, it will never end until Russia is officially designated hostile at the EU level and any influence is treated as an attack, or treason, depending of circumstances. But as long as obviously bought and compromised politicians from Mick and Clare to Schroeder aren't held accountable indeed this type of stuff will never end. And also cold war never ended.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭Economics101

I see Amnesty is now rowing back on its recent Ukraine report.

While Amnesty seems to stand by the report's contents, it uses what I would regard as weasel words to gloss over its report: Amnesty said it had found Ukrainian forces next to civilian residences in 19 towns and villages it visited, exposing them to risk of incoming Russian fire. "This does not mean that Amnesty International holds Ukrainian forces responsible for violations committed by Russian forces, nor that the Ukrainian military is not taking adequate precautions elsewhere in the country," it said.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,059 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Can't help but notice that you have been somewhat ambiguous in your views about the Russian invasion of their neighbours, indifferent anyway. Maybe even supportive, hard to tell. There are others here of the same view, they are your 'fellow travellers'.

If so, I can readily understand why videos of soldiers lost might offend you. Given the testament of the barbaric actions of many of these same Russian soldiers, I don't think many here have much sympathy for their life & death.

In defence of zv2, they have mostly mentioned the content of these clips.

I've been thinking about this recently because there are a lot of posts on Twitter complaining that Palestine is not getting enough publicity. Personally I think the Arab/Moslem world does not command attention from the west because of the terrorist attacks they made on the west and because of the way they make a show out of killing journalists etc. Also, Ukrainians dress like us, they have similar shopfronts, cars etc. Psychologically this makes a difference. Of course it is more complicated that this but these, I think, are factors. The biggest factor may be that the media are not reporting on a fraction of their troubles.

“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” — Voltaire

• Registered Users Posts: 1,995 ✭✭✭rogber

Yeah a bit of a half arsed apology but seriously the amount of hatred aimed at Amnesty here over the last few pages(the new villain after Scholz and Germany finally got their act half together?) is ridiculous. Of all the evil actors in the world, Amnesty is really not very high on the list. Move on, focus on what matters

• Advertisement

Please don't confuse robust criticism of Amnesty with hatred of Amnesty. Of course Amnesty is nowhere remotely on the list of evil actors, but those who give the evildoers cover should be called out very loudly

• Registered Users Posts: 13,826 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

The idea of universal human rights is a Western Idea, most of the world finds it abhorrent.

Western Europe and North America, Australia and a small few others over the last 50 years have been the fairest, most tolerant Societies that have ever existed and probably for a very long time to come

• Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Finnbar01

The North Korean army is in a far worse condition than its Russian counterpart.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭Homelander

That's a bit of an understatement. That's like saying Galway United are a far worse team than Manchester United.

Sigh. More of it. Putin is not going to leave Ukraine and compensate them for the damage he has done, so what are they on about? Bloody naive.

They are not naïve, they are actively collaborating with Putin for ideological reasons.

I think that this kind of thing is more due to hatred of the USA and NATO rather than affinity with Putin. Classic useful idiot stuff, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭dePeatrick

Canada has ideological reasons in common with Putin? Care to share?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,702 ✭✭✭firemansam4

Yea thats pretty much it. We see it with posters here on boards and on other social media and many left wing organisations.

They will come out and say Russia are wrong and say they condemn Russia for the invasion but then in another breath start parroting how the US and NATO are the ones who caused all of this. They shout out about how western nations should stop sending weapons to give peace a chance and barely mention that Russia needs to withdraw from Ukraine and stop killing people.

I have little doubt that many of these people would be quite happy to see Ukraine surrender and see Russia turn it into another puppet state like Belarus.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,059 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Maybe the Womens International League in Canada can head over to Ukraine and persuade the Russian army to up and go back to their motherland. And pay the reconstruction bill and massive reparations.

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭HerrKapitan

The manufactured fossil fuel crisis continues. There will still be sheep who believe a lightening strike caused this.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,543 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭bennyineire

So Cuba are now in this global conspiracy, right I see

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Rawr

Indeed. Peace? Yes, totally, it should always be the goal of civilisation. But peace at any cost? Ask Chamberlain how well that went for him.

Ukriane is fighting a war of survival against a facist regime that would gleefully murder or enslave the lot of them. Russia are very welcome to end all of this by pulling all of their troops out of internationally recognised Ukrainian territory and then beg the civilised world to let them back in. There’s no *bargaining* with these bastards with what they are trying to do, and despite the normally civil message of this NGO for peace….”peace” with Moscow now would only encourage even more bloody conflict down the road.

There are times for talk, and there are times to fight, and unfortunately the Russians have made this is a time to fight.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,930 ✭✭✭Cordell

Asking Ukraine for peace is like asking a rape victim to stop resisting.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,772 ✭✭✭Sunny Disposition

These calls for Ukraine to make peace are simply outrageous, really disgraceful. It would mean accepting the Russians have a right to colonise them and murder those who resist. Disgusting organisations and people.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭purplepanda

https://us.v-cdn.net/6034073/uploads/NEW8XTMCHID1/peace.jpg

None of these useful idiots take into consideration the fact that Russia recognised the independence & borders of Ukraine & that Ukraine handed back 600 cruise missiles, long range bomber squadrons, large amounts of military hardware & nuclear weapons to Russia with the Budapest Memorandum 1994.

Russia & Ukraine also signed a friendship treaty in 1997. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Russian–Ukrainian_Friendship_Treaty

I reckon most of those 600 cruise missiles have been fired back at Ukraine, along the bombers & weapons used against Ukraine. So the west made up the shortfall, fair enough I reckon.

The useful idiots just call for the west to stop giving Ukraine weapons to defend itself, then essentially calling for a ceasefire so that Russia can consolidate their imperialist gains carved out by rapists, looters, enslaving & removing people from their land & mass murder on a scale not seen since WW2 in Europe.

They call for peace with Russia, with no honour & more war to come at a later date for Ukraine.

Decolonisation, when it's Russia doing exactly that recreating the imperial Russian Empire.

Decarbonisation, so more reliance on Russian fossil fuel supplies for western nations.

Demilitarisation, obviously just for Ukraine, they certainly don't mean Russia.

Anyone advocating such proposals as above is a threat to modern western values & democracy. I don't care if they are hard left or far right. Law enforcement agencies in western nations should be investigating the bank accounts of these people. Many have been bought off by Putin's bungs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭xxxxxxl

I hate the Irony of soviet era cruise missiles landing back in Ukraine. Up point though If NK come in Ukrainians get some more target practice send in greener troops to get battle experience.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement