Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Russia - threadbanned users in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭dennis72

Russia can afford a stalemate more than Ukraine

It is using the captured nuclear plant and turning off the gas threat to blackmail Europe.

Even with the plant in a fully occupied uncontested area it sould be safe, the gas is to avenge the sanchioners

Hope Ukraine can do a kerson offensive soon and successfully but it needs to get it right

Russian continued will to fight a ridiculous war is as baffling as its public support for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Russias human rights commissioner confirmed they deported 557,000 Ukrainian children to Russia,

Meanwhile Russian tourists can happily enjoy their European holidays

I don’t get why Russians are still able to travel to Europe. We need to lock that down. Lock the Putinistas into their little (figuratively) country

I still think Putin is digging in and now happy to play the ultra long game. Western support will hold up through this winter, in the face of energy prices. But I wouldn’t be surprised if the front lines this time next year are exactly where they are right now. And I don’t think that western support will hold coming into a 2nd winter. Certainly public support will waver if there’s no end in sight

does anyone actually believe, not wishful thinking, that Russia will be pushed out of Ukraine?

what’s the end game here?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭Dufflecoat Fanny

Jesus Christ this is horrific. The world needs to put getting these children safe no.1 priority. This is pure dystopian nightmare fuel.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭EOQRTL

And some people think NATO has done a great job standing up to Putin because we've given the Ukrainians a few missiles with limited range.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,450 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Putin is more popular than ever in Russia. The half arsed half baked sanctions won't make any difference. He's actually as expected using the sanctions to further increase the us vs them narrative.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭Dufflecoat Fanny

It's not NATO's remit to trace and rescue civilians that will surely be pushed by the UN

• Registered Users Posts: 1,392 ✭✭✭nigeldaniel

All through history, despots always get their comeuppance. Putin and his supporters will not get away with it forever. Russia will lose that much is a given. I just don't know what will become of those kids that were kidnapped and shipped off to some godforsaken place in the Russian badlands. We will find out in time that much I do know. Things always come out. Current Putinlites will live to rue the day they even supported his madness. In their dreams, they will be haunted forever by the dead.

Dan.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭Darth Putin

sanctions are working quite fine, Russian economy (even by their own rostat publication) is imploding

and the putinistas cries of sanctions not working get ever louder, Like your posts

• Registered Users Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭zv2

It depends on western support. If they get back the south they can isolate Crimea and use it as target practice.

“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” — Voltaire

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

A few , they are receiving thousands of tons of weapons regularly ,

They could get 200 hundred HiMars but then you need fully trained crews and supplies to keep them supported then bigger groups of them become easier for Russia to track and attack.

There's method to how and what they are getting from nato

The west aren't giving Ukraine enough weapons to annillate the Russians unfortunately. It's a balancing act at present. Will be interesting to see the response if Putrid does go full mobilisation in regards western military actions. Time to give the Ukrainians whatever they need imo and drive these cnuts back to the border.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,406 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

The west just needs to ride out the next 9 months, especially the winter. After that each winter will get easier as energy supply chains re-order in the West where Russian energy is ommitted from Western markets.

The west wont make the same mistake twice, so this is really if for Russia. They have one shot at it this winter and I cant see the West giving up the ghost.

Posted already but people read this.

It states that the US DOD and Government are in Ukraine for the long haul.

This USAI package, which is being announced on Ukraine Independence Day, underscores the U.S. commitment to supporting Ukraine over the long term – representing a multi-year investments to build the enduring strength of Ukraine’s Armed Forces as it continues to defend its sovereignty in the face of Russian aggression. Unlike Presidential Drawdown (PDA), which DoD has continued to leverage to deliver equipment to Ukraine from DoD stocks at a historic pace, USAI is an authority under which the United States procures capabilities from industry. This announcement represents the beginning of a contracting process to provide additional priority capabilities to Ukraine in the mid- and long-term to ensure Ukraine can continue to defend itself as an independent, sovereign and prosperous state.

I think the West knows that it has to face down Putins aggression in Ukraine as otherwise other despots and tyrants around the world will be empowered. It wont be easy, it wont happen overnight, but each month this war goes on Russia looses.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,424 ✭✭✭Dubh Geannain

@EOQRTL does have a point. The masses fed on the deluge of lies from the Kremlin know no better. They are being emboldened. If Russia is blaming the West for any hardship then that's who they'll blame.

The voices of dissent continue to operate in the shadows of course or flee the country but I'm not seeing a ground swell of dissent yet. I've written off the general populace off as a whole TBH. They will believe what they are told or simply chose to ignore their country's atrocities. Who's taking in the kidnapped children? Are they not asking questions?

A crude example to consider would be the Brits (or insert any other imperialist power from the past). It's well documented the atrocities they inflicted on many native peoples but it was always far enough from their shores to ever result in a national revolt. Did the Germans rise up? People happily consumed the latest daily digest with a paragraph or two of the latest conquest in far flung lands, all for the good of the empire and then went about their own business.

Russia needs to be kicked out of Ukraine and roundly defeated. I care very little for what happens within its own borders at this point. They've brought it on themselves. I would like to see justice served and people like Navalny released but these feelings are very much secondary to my main hope for Ukraine.

I see that ‘drive them back to the border’ a lot. I just don’t ever see it happening if the Russians dig in. Ukraine have been in counteroffensive mode for weeks and there’s been no movement. Shells and rockets don’t take back territory.

I would wager that this time next year the front lines haven’t moved

Yeah they weren't leaving Afghanistan until then job was done either. How's that going?

It's also highly likely the Republicans will be back in power sooner rather than later which i think we all know is a bonus for Putin.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,441 ✭✭✭jmreire

Lots of talk about the impending winter, and will the west buckle under the shortage of gas and oil etc. But the US are completely focused on Putin and the threat he poses world wide. Through all the propaganda fog and mis information, they are sticking fast to their main objective, which is the removal of Putin and his murderous killing machine.

• Advertisement

Completely different.

The West won the inital war in Afghanistan but the new government lacked the will to fight for it, and keep it, despite all the billions put into it.

Ukraine is totally different. They passed the test so to speak that they are willing to fight for their country. Now they need Western support and arms to finish the job.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,702 ✭✭✭firemansam4

More evidence of weapons at the Zaporizhzhya NPP

Also on the Republican things, that is overblown, as the right in the US will not want to seem weak when it comes to Russia.

His agenda is first and foremost personal survival, but no matter which way you look at it, I doubt very much he will have long and happy life.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭pcardin

Funny how people in Europe were always laughing on Americans, how dumb they are. Until ruSSians came and showed a next level of dumb. Now ruSSians are oficially the dumbest nation on this planet. 🤡

I'm pretty sure that there are many Russians who did not want this war, even from the beginning, never mind about now, when the full horrors are being brought home to them via returning soldiers who have survived. But when even the mere act of calling it a war, or speaking out about Russian losses / atrocities can get you 15 years in prison, its easy to understand why they remain quiet. But having said that, is still incredible the Nr of Russians who believe the propaganda, and support Putin 100%.

Econimic good comrades, onto Berlin!

Edit: source video from here https://twitter.com/EnricoFaraboll1/status/1560732182028685315?s=20&t=aKwzN0wCAfIl3iLlRlt6Qg

Reply to EOQRTL

The 20 years the US were in Afghanistan were the best 20 years Afghanistan ever had....I know, I lived there and saw the improvements. Hard to believe what Afghanistan was like when the Americans arrived....it was like time travelling way back into the past, especially rural Afghanistan. And see what it was like when they left 20 years later...incomparable. They paid for the running of the Country, civil service, military, reconstruction, schools, hospitals etc, And in these 20 years they did more than any other Country to develop Afghanistan into an independent state. But an independent prosperous Afghanistan was not in the interests of its neighbor's, and that's why ultimately they failed. But it was not the fault of the US that it failed. But you know how it is,,, big bad ol US of A. But strangely enough when people are bad mouthing the US, and for all its faults, they forget to mention that the long queue's of people trying to get into the US, for a better life.

Great post

US has spent $2.26 TRILLION over 20 years in Afghanistan

As well as 2448 of their military personnel

Now let the above sink in to “Putin is a genius who plays 42D chess” and “Germany will fold and force Europe to stab Ukraine” crowd on this and related threads

In comparison the US spent only 50 billion in 6 months (and no deaths of its personnel) on aid to Ukraine and has in process put the Russian military and economy on precipice of collapse

Russia doesn’t have 20 years, maybe not even 2 (in case Trump somehow returns)

• Advertisement

Even EOQRTL must have known he was taking the urine posting that. The US gave the Afghanistan officials and military every chance and they couldn't take it. However, I think Biden did mess up in THE WAY he exited, but that's minor in the grand scheme of things. And this fight is a proxy NATO v Russia. That's the best it's ever going to get for the US/NATO versus Russia.

And those saying oh, what about the winter after next... Worry about who Russia is going to sell their below cost gas and oil to because if the Oil shuts down, it aint restarting without western help. Yeah, Russia is screeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeewed and the West knows it cannot let Russia succeed. Putin took his chance at glory thinking he had four aces, but only had deuces. I'm scarlet for his mother for having him!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement