Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Russia - threadbanned users in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

The pictures showing the amount of abandoned Russian kit coming out now is incredible.

The Ukrainians should donate it to the Moldovans and Georgians to allow them sort out their "Separatist" problems and open up new fronts against the Russians.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,484 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

No. They should use it to defeat Russia as it’s the only objective they need to care about right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭EOQRTL

Don't rule out a chemical attack it's also an option imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭dennis72

He can just announce an end to the special op, sheep will follow.

Only thing he has committed war crimes at every turn

Captured general & office has links to chains of command right to the top putin himself.

Exploding a nuke or any sizeable chemical weapon would be of similar effect and would make him a pariah anywhere outside North Korea, possibly Iran and some other failed states on the Horn of Africa. India and China would have to disown him or end up in the same shîtter as Putin.

I don’t see Putin that desperate unless NATO attacks Russia, and that ain’t happening. Even an internal putch wouldn’t drive him to such extremes, as what would be the point!?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭rogber

In Eastern Europe maybe. In this corner of Europe in ten years this will all be forgotten by all but a small group of historians, just like the Arab Spring which dominated the news 10 years ago is now just a dot on history.

That's taking nothing away from Ukraine's heroic resistance. Just a fact. In 10 years the average Joe will know more about the Guardiola -Klopp rivalry than the Russia-Ukraine war. In fact that's already the case now

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

The last one I heard of was in Syria where a Russian position was about to be over run by isis and the forward air controller called in a strike on his own position killed dozens of isis fighters while protecting his comrades,it was mentioned in multiple Threads at the time ,

Then the Americans came out and said it never happened, what actually happened was the forward air controller accidentally called an airstrike on himself, killing himself and no isis fighters....

There's stories from Vietnam to Americans in Afghanistan calling in danger close strikes, including Into their own positions to prevent an overrun of forces.

it's not limited to one country or anothers military

• Registered Users Posts: 8,441 ✭✭✭jmreire

But drafting young Muscovites into the war is what he has studiously avoided. Body bags arriving home to the rural areas and far flung republics is one thing, but Moscow and St. Petersburg???? Nyet Spassiba!!. There has already been calls for him to be removed and charged with treason, and despite the immediate crackdown on these people, this is only the tip of the iceberg. Once it sinks in that ultimately he will kill them all if he has to, that will trigger a landslide of anti -Putin protests that will topple him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,652 ✭✭✭greenpilot

Sunday is normally a quiet day for NATO operations, however today is an exception.

Currently, we have 2 x KC-135 at 23,000ft and 22,000ft respectively on refueling operations over Romania. There is an RC-135 Rivet Joint on SIGNIT operations.

We have an Ares ii on the coast near Moldova, also on SIGNIT operations and finally, we have our usual UAV Global Hawk flying near Yalta in Crimea, the furthest North that I have seen it so far.

Right now, as I write this, The Ukranian commanders are recieving a vast amount of realtime data in support of their offensive, with NATO showing their real power over the Russians - multiple assets of varying capabilities able to coordinate and share data with each other instantaneously, giving Ukraine a "top-down" view of the operations.

Also, someone mentioned that Russia may be pulling their troops back in the North in order to protect them from a possible WMD strike. I think this is unlikely as the prevailing winds are always TOWARDS Russia. Two things might signal a possible chance of such an attack. 1. The winds change direction to a southerly or south-westerly heading, and 2. Russia kills some of the US or NATO satellites currently being used in the data link between NATO assets and Ukraine.

Russia has the ability to cripple satellites in Low Earth Orbit and, if this does happen some day, then I would expect a huge escalation and change of tactics with the possible use of a WMD. Russia has the capability of "blinding" NATO at any time by using an anti-satt. missile fired from an aircraft at high altitude. There are a number of these Mig-25's currently stationed at Kaliningrad. The US can do the same using an F-15 and actually demonstrated this capability a number of years ago during a live firing. Such an attack would have another knock-on effect in that the debris cloud created in LEO would jeprodise all other space assets within the orbital plane of the attack. It might be an interesting excercise to pinpoint the altitude and orbital inclination of known military satellites ( there are a number of OSINT guys already doing so) and to see what other assets share the same inclination.

Here are screenshots of the current air operations.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

They've been going into apartment blocks in Donetsk and Luhansk and have been dragging able bodied males out to put into the trenches without training. I seen one lad a few days ago in a pair of fake Adidas runners and military clothing. They'll be lucky to get their 3-4 weeks training. And they most certainly won't be from St Petersburg or Moscow. They'll be drafted from the sticks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,804 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

There was a translated russian telegram post at the start of the counteroffensive in kherson which was soaked in sarcasm.

It was talking about 1000 Ukrainian troops killed and 100 tanks destroyed, again it was sarcasm. It went on to mention Russian soldiers retreating and what are they supposed to do, a group of 50 stay and get surrounded and call in an airstrike on their position to becomes heroes etc.... All sarcasm.

It was that single post that people read and assumed the kherson offensive was a disaster within hours of it starting.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,712 ✭✭✭✭briany

At what point does a conscript with little to no training become more of a hindrance than a help? I know that Russian high command doesn't have a whole lot of compassion for the average grunt, nor a passing interest in even trying to portray that, but from a pure tactical standpoint, an untrained soldier would be so much more liable to do stupid/dangerous stuff that would unravel a greater military plan, from giving away a position, to committing friendly fire, to being killed and becoming more putrifying body on the battlefield, bringing disease to the still-living combatants.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,574 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

All quiet on Telegram today, but that is usually the case on a Sunday when fighting seems to hit a lull.

никакой паники - no panic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭Curious_Case

Recent reaction in Russia clearly demonstrates how rotten their "society" is.

The burgeoning backlash against Putin has nothing to do with invasion, murder, rape & torture - those phuckers are upset, only because their nation is losing.

What a cower of shunts.

And on another point, the more Ukrainians that settle in this country, the better. They are an obvious asset to any nation, and indeed the world. Having watched many of them being interviewed, I've noticed that they are far more like us than they are their morally impoverished neighbours.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,574 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Looks like the entire Kharkiv region has been abandoned now.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,059 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

I think you underestimate the significance of this ill thought invasion. Covid will be remembered and this war, however it turns out will have an impact on us all for many years to come.

Russian SU-25's are attempting to provide Close Air Support to remaining Russian troops in Kharkiv region, but are being dissuaded by Ukranian Air defences

https://twitter.com/Osinttechnical/status/1568717246813306880?s=20&t=B0H1mO7-spIhr31bPqTAsQ

• Registered Users Posts: 13,450 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Seems like the mob over in the Ukrainians in Ireland megathread need to hear you. They're on about prostitution, crime and calling them scroungers there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,392 ✭✭✭nigeldaniel

Looks like Ol Putin's final days are dawning. Can't see him lasting too long more. What will become of him... might he do a Haudini and vanish into the air.

Dan.

• Advertisement

I'm not sure what age you are, but I'm guessing quite young. Today's younger generations have a poor grasp of the political and socio-economical effects of this war on the entire continent of Europe. When this war is over, and I'm old enough to have experienced the cold War and it's effects on every Western and European country, Europe as we know it, will have completely changed. Every country will continue to have a sizable Ukranian population, a European army will have formed. The US will have permanent bases all along the Baltics right down to Moldova. There will be the monumental efforts and skills required to rebuild Ukraine. Energy resources and requirements will have completely changed. Ireland will certainly not be Neutral. Our own armed forces will finally get the resources required to protect our own security without the need to rely on the UK. China's strategy towards the West and indeed Russia will change forever and will have far-reaching consequences on all of us. The nuclear proliferation agreement will be null and void and expect a stern reaction towards any nation that supported Russia in its endeavours, particularly India. Finally, Russia's global reach, for example in Syria ( of which I have 1st hand experience) will have evaporated and will destabilise the region once again, with Assad finding himself very exposed. I'm not even going to mention the Political situation in Russia after the war, which, with the potential removal of Putin, will have unfathomable consequences.

So bearing all the above in mind we are going to be living with the consequences of this war for a very, very long time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭Curious_Case

Maybe there have been occurrences of that nature. They may be taking advantage of the fact that no law enforcement exists in Ireland due to crime being hitherto unheard of.

*I'm not sniping at you, I know you're not one of that mob*

• Registered Users Posts: 5,658 ✭✭✭storker

Would these be the same people who, by amazing coincidence, come to the same conclusions about all immigrants?

I believe there's some overlap there. Plus it's the most recent incarnation of the regularly occurring dole bash.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,106 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

That is the most toxic thread on this entire site. Populated by a small number of posters, who seem to post exclusively there and try to outdo each other with hearsay and anecdotes, painting Ukrainians refugees in a bad light. It's absolute cancer.

What I also find interesting is the "new" posters that show up there, dish out some anecdote, then pop up with some veiled pro-RuSSia tripe here. Seems like a pretty regular occurrence

• Registered Users Posts: 1,904 ✭✭✭Sultan of Bling

No negotiations needed, just get the f**k out of there and don't come back.

Yep, life always gives one options, they don't necessarily need be good ones 😄

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭rogber

I'm not as old as you, it seems, but not as young as you think either :) Nor am I disputing the significance of the war. I'm merely saying that I think the original poster vastly overestimates general public interest in this conflict and I don't think that Irish or French or German children are going to know anything more about this war in 10 years time than they do about 9/11 or the Arab Spring today.

But we can touch in around 2030 and see how things look then. Maybe I'm just more cynical than you about people's attention spans and real interests

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement