Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Russia - threadbanned users in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

• Registered Users Posts: 20,047 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

No, it's meant to be an example of the actual half-life of war/attrocity inspired anger in real life.

I could tell you a story about a teacher I had who was one of the small handfull of allied prisoners of war to have been found alive in Changi prison at the end of WW2, but you wouldn't like it one little bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,278 ✭✭✭thomil

The problem is that for France and Germany to get to the lasting arrangement we see know, it took three devastating wars within less than a century (Franco-Prussian War, WW1, WW2), with massive destruction in both countries. Even then, it took someone with the force of character of Charles de Gaulle on one side and Konrad Adenauer on the other to drive forward the rapprochement between Germany and France. Without their close working relationship, we would likely not have had moments like Helmut Kohl & Francois Mitterand holding hands at Verdun, or any of the other moments of close cooperation between the two countries.

I don't see anyone with even a fraction of a percentage of the charisma and force of character of even Adenauer in Russia at the moment. As for the Ukrainian side, I don't think they have too much time to spend on thinking about these issues at the moment, though I agree with you that some sort of modus vivendi will eventually have to be found. I just can't see it happen anytime soon, certainly not in the timeframe that we've seen in Europe post WW-2

And that's not even touching on the issue of civil society. I've made this point before, but one of the reasons why Germany was able to abandon the Nazi ways so quickly, apart from massive cases of selective amnesia in significant parts of the administration and (mostly) conservative political parties, was that both Germany and the numerous kingdoms and principalities that preceded it had well established civil societies, with traditions of public discourse going back well into the 1700s or even earlier. Even Prussia, which was hardly a model for an enlightened state, had levels of civic discourse and participation that were considerable. It is this tradition that allowed for things like the Frankfurt Auschwitz Trial or the many uncomfortable and painful discussions within families in post-war Germany, including my own, to take place.

I don't see any of that in Russia. Any attempts to develop the structures and culture necessary for a true civil society were stomped out once Putin came to power, and there's no prior tradition of civic discourse or citizen participation that Russia could fall back on in any post-Putin era. So long as that is not the case, any rapprochement in Eastern Europe will depend not on the citizens of Russia, but on the interests and attitude of whoever holds power in Moscow.

Good luck trying to figure me out. I haven't managed that myself yet!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,895 ✭✭✭✭josip

Scores will be settled after the war by whoever wins it. There will be a mass exodus of the losing ethnicity from the disputed territories in advance of this. It would be a very brave or stupid person who would remain.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Foibe_massacres

• Registered Users Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

Calls Ukrainians pigs.

Immediately proceeds to pick his nose.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

According to russians they taken a village.

I'm sure they are still winning this according to russian sources

• Registered Users Posts: 11,431 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Agree. If the Rashists hadn't of used the excuse that Germany did in ww2 to declare war on it's neighbours i.e they speak russian so must be russian so hence it is russia. Then there may have been a different view. But they did and forcibly issued passports in occupied areas.

Not for anyone here to say. But it looks like in former occupied areas it'll be you're either Ukrainian or not. It'll be same as before. You better learn Ukrainian. Or bugger back to Russia.

People forget after germany using german heritage ex pats in the invaded countries that after the war there was a purge and walk back to Germany for said direct german or german descendants. Germany could never use that excuse again as a reason to invade those around her. Putin's Russia never learned the history but had Hitler's germany as the role model to follow. Be plenty now to say "Feck em" after all this by Putin.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,747 ✭✭✭zv2

Yes but things are changing. They may be preparing to get out of Ukraine. The alternative will only damage Russia even more.

“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” — Voltaire

• Registered Users Posts: 16,574 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Some people on Twitter were claiming Kyselivka in Kherson was taken by Ukraine, but this Russian propaganda video shows otherwise.

The claims have been the Russians have withdrawn from Kyselivka , with only 4 Russian vehicles seen in the area by satellite.

More russian propaganda,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭paul71

However by the definition of your call to expels Russians he is one who would be expelled but for a trick of faith. There are thousands of people in the DPR and LPR who have been forcibly conscripted into the militias. There are 4 or perhaps 5 million who are exactly the same as Zelinsy, Russian speakers who you will cleanse out of Ukraine. Its is their country, just as much as it Zelinskys and just as much as Ireland is Rory Bests or Ian Paisley jrs.

As an Australian an Aboriginal Australian may one day call for all of your relatives (assuming of course you are not Aboriginal) to be expelled. That persons anger at injustice served on his peoples would be understandable but it would not justify revenge on all whites in Australia.

You may refer to it as Mary Poppins but thats is infantile and kneejerk, it is the solution that ended WW1 and started WW2, what you propose is the creation of the next war, instead of winning this one and then settling the issues that caused it from a position of power.

(The Australian point was for a subsequent reply but stands)

A Russian journalist is literally standing in front of the sign for the town. I think it's safe to say it's in Russian hands.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Hobgoblin11

At Zaporizhzhia direction Russian army shelled Kamyanske, Mala Tokmachka, Sherbaky, Charivne, Nesteryanka, Orikhiv, Bilohirya, Zaliznychne, Temyrivka, Novopil and Vremivka, - General Staff of Armed Forces of Ukraine says in the morning report

Dundalk, Co. Louth

At Novopavlivka direction Russian army shelled Vuhledar, Preschystivka, Novoukrainka and Vremivka, - General Staff of Armed Forces of Ukraine says in the morning report

Dundalk, Co. Louth

• Registered Users Posts: 40,006 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

No way it could have been filmed in the past or you know the sign moved elsewhere?

Also AFAIK there is no such thing as Russian Journalists anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,895 ✭✭✭✭josip

Do you think Sergey Comboverski will still be in front of the sign when the Ukrainians roll in? I wish the camera had panned 360. I bet you his car was waiting with the engine running and a washing machine strapped onto the roof.

Russian army conducted 2 missile strikes, 25 airstrikes, 11 MLRS shelling at objects across Ukraine. Damage in Kharkiv, Lozova, Bilohorivka, Vesela Dolyna, Zaitseve, Yuryivka, New York, Pervomaiske, Kamyanka, Stepove, Mali Scherbaky, Sukhiy Stavok, Kostromka, Bila Krynytsa, Myrne among other, - General Staff of Armed Forces of Ukraine says in the morning report

Dundalk, Co. Louth

• Registered Users Posts: 1,995 ✭✭✭rogber

We went through this crap back in spring people here saying he has stroke/cancer/ Parkinson's and he'd be dead in weeks. All sensationalist drivel but as usual the hardcore group won't admit they were wrong

At Kramatorsk direction Russian army shelled Pryshyb, Bilohorivka, Kramatorsk, Slovyansk, Staryi Karavan, Starodubivka, Spirne, Rozdolivka and Hryhorivka, - General Staff of Armed Forces of Ukraine says in the morning report

Dundalk, Co. Louth

Don't think anyone predicted he would be dead in weeks.

But hey !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,097 ✭✭✭threeball

Everyone except him. Now theres a lad that needs a bullet to the head. Plank that other bitch temple to temple with him.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Take a look at what happened in the Balkans, when the borders were redrawn, Serbs and Croats who found themselves on the wrong side of those borders upped sticks and moved, they knew after all the bloodshed that there was no going back. Russians in those regions know that they played a huge role in causing this war, if and when they lose they dont have any real right to expect a return to the status quo.

More likely the original Twitter claim was a lie. Just like the same lie about the Russians negotiating a surrender.

Russia media has said that the Russian military has withdrawn from Kyselivka.

Ukraine are saying it , Russia are saying it .

Must be some truth in it so

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Their wildly embarrassing losses in the last week are not lost on the Russians. They're also wildy trying to spin it: Special retreat operation/only Russia supported militants in the area/only a 1000 troops/we're fighting NATO including Black Americans and so forth. The pro Russian side even on their mad TV shows are asking why and looking to fire blame at generals and are looking for more action.

Now putin has resisted mobilisation because it wouldn't have gone down well in well off White Russia, but could this give him the leeway to push for it now, or at least much more than present? I mean Russians believe that they've a million strong military that's stronk, but losing because of not using this allegded number won't go down well on any level. They're embarrassed now, so might push putin more or he loses support.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,035 ✭✭✭timmyntc

What? The fall of yugoslavia had serbs/croats/bosnians being in the wrong place causing a horrendous war and ethnic cleansing.

They didnt all just get up and leave because they thought things were gonna get nasty. Did you come from an alternate universe? Even nowadays we have serb enclaves in Kosovo too. Most european countries have ethnic minorities from their neighbours, hungarians in Romania and Ukraine, Polish in Ukraine, various countries around the Alps.

If the people living in Donbas are majority Russian speaking, why should they leave? If as you say they aren't ukrainian and dont belong, it begs the question - should Donbas belong to Ukraine at all then? The idea that Ukraine on taking back the Donbas should kick out everyone who lives there to replace it with ethnic ukrainians from somewhere else - thats just genocide or ethnic cleansing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,702 ✭✭✭firemansam4

Very clever idea from the Ukranian side if it was a lie about the surrender, it would have sown doubt into some of them maybe if their were rumours of that going around, especially with all the events happening around Kharkiv.

And if the Russians surrender over the next while someone is going to be upset

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,097 ✭✭✭threeball

Who the fcuk brings a wardrobe into a forest. And goes to the bother of painting a Z on a wheelbarrow. Its probably the most reliable piece of equipment they have at their disposal :D.

They truly are the dumbest humans on the face of the planet.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement