Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Russia - threadbanned users in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭Curious_Case

Are you for real ?

You're pretending to think that being pro citizens' lives equates to being pro war. Did you read that on the back of your Comrade Cornflakes cereal box ?

How come the syntax/language employed by you guys is ALWAYS just that little bit off ? - "upper surface of the morning to you, begorrah"

Ah, look it… has mc and sean in his name, definitely legit, I be tinkin.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,454 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

One of the best downfalls in awhile. Had me doubled over with laughter especially "Don't worry, Tulsi!"

• Registered Users Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

• Registered Users Posts: 13,454 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Watch the downfall parody. The RuSSians control Fox news!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,059 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Rubbish - it is perfectly reasonable to suspend judgment till further details emerge. There are too many here ready to jump on any bandwagon and piece of news and extrapolate to the nth degree. Incidentally I dislike the patronising tone of your post.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,747 ✭✭✭zv2

"I was murdering civilians for the money, because I'm poor" doesn't cut it.

“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” — Voltaire

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Not in this case,

You were the only one who tried to down play the mass graves, nobody else nothing more than an attempt at muddying the waters

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

*400 bodies found in forest in shallow grave in warzone showing signs of torture.

"Ooooh I'll reserve judgement here, there could be a perfectly reasonable explaination for this. And we have to be extra super-dee-dooper careful about what we call it. Is it even a mass grave really?"

Mods need to start banning plonkers on sight. Why should anyone be exposed to this level of stupidity and dishonesty?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,615 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Honestly, the information is so easily and apparently debunkable, that it's better having then here then on twitter or Facebook, as they can be challenged directly. From memory (and I'll retract if wrong) said poster was up to similar on the Covid forum.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,444 ✭✭✭jmreire

Absolutely! In the Russian Caucasus you have the highest peak in Europe, Mt El-Brus. Its 5'642 mtrs high. A few years ago, when all of Russia would be blanketed in snow, including the roads leading to it. Not anymore though, according to my friends. You can travel all the way into the foot hills now before you start to meet the snow. It's still on the peaks, and the skiing is still there, but each year, the snow seems to be retreating higher and higher up the mountain. And as for Belgrade in Serbia.....its pretty much like Ireland now. A few days of slushy snow, which soon vanishes, and that's it. But the mud......thats the real killer of transport. In Africa, I remember seeing trucks buried to their roofs ( Literally, to their roofs ) in the mud, and all transport stopped in its track's until they were winched out. You got out your winch, hooked it up to the nearest heavy tree, and started pulling. I would not like to be trying to winch or drag any vehicles out of mud holes on the front lines in Ukraine.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,444 ✭✭✭jmreire

Yes started by and kept going by Vladimir Putin.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,714 ✭✭✭✭briany

I assume both sides' commanders will be basing their winter planning on what 2021 into 2022 was like and what the general winter trends have been for the last decade. No point going by what it may be like, but rather what it has been like. If the conflict continues into the depths of Ukrainian winter, it at least means a freezing of the battle lines and you'd have to say a complete Russian failure to achieve their objectives as of Feb 24th 2022, which was to take over the entirety of Ukraine.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,052 ✭✭✭Guffy

I think the funniest thing is that the Russian shiles have ruined this thread nearly as much as thise advocating genocide of Russian people living in Ukraine.

If you feel that there is a "Russian bot" on the thread, put them on your ignore list.

Moderation of this thread is a joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭erlichbachman

I do check in here every now and again to see how the war is going, would I be correct in assuming that the more fighting there is on this thread then the less fighting there is to report in Ukraine, so we are coming towards the end?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,634 ✭✭✭RoyalCelt

I don't disagree with anything you'd say. I'd Just like to add some of the nights early in the invasion reached minus 20. I'm not saying it didn't use to be worse but I wouldn't like to be badly supplied Russians in Kherson during that.

People in eastern Europe regularly die from the cold if they drink to much and KO outside. Frostbite is quite common.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭JoChervil

Climate has change but temperature can still be brutal there in a winter time

• Registered Users Posts: 20,047 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

I disliked your original posts trying to downplay the seriousness of the graves discovery, so we may be even. Don't want to get called out, well don't put yourself in that position.

And in the meantime time Russian soldiers are wearing fashion trainers and sliders in trenches, while the Ukrainians are getting cold weather gear from Nato, remember the Ukrainans have been defending the east for 8 years they know exactly what they are facing come winter proper vs poor unfortunates being pressganged to go fight in Ukraine with the bare minimum of any kind of equipment

• Registered Users Posts: 1,702 ✭✭✭firemansam4

Ok go on tell us in your opinion how Ukraine can end this war?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭nigeldaniel

I was going to say something similar this morning myself.

Dan.

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Housefree

When people think of a mass grave they usually have an image of a hole with bodies dumped in on top of each other, not spread out with crosses.

CNN is now reporting it as a burial site

https://www.cnn.com/2022/09/16/europe/ukraine-izium-mass-burial-site-intl-hnk/index.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,995 ✭✭✭rogber

The Russian apologists and the hardcore Slava Ukraine lot have both ruined the thread and are all more interested in point-scoring and insulting anyone with a different opinion than trying to objectively understand what's going on.

And yeah moderation is terrible and totally inconsistent but the moderators don't have an easy job in fairness when you see all the abuse and counter abuse and lots of other threads follow similar pattern

• Registered Users Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭nigeldaniel

Now, back to the business of keeping tabs on Russia and its invasions of Ukraine.

It is unclear whether Russian frontline forces have “sufficient reserves or adequate morale” to withstand another concerted assault 

Quote 1

Any substantial loss of territory here would “unambiguously undermine” Vladimir Putin’s strategy for the conflict, 

quote 2

Ukrainians need to have the weapons to protect themselves, the ammunition in the necessary amount to protect themselves.

The second quote is I suppose self-defence for the civil population in the event of Putin having another go in a year's time using more Russian-sponsored millitas. It is far to say Russia's current invasion is failing and has no hope for any success at all this year. Putin's revenge is now something that Ukraine need to plan for.

Dan.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,839 ✭✭✭Polar101

I'm not sure Putin's strategy of attacking cities and then running away from them is as brilliant as he thinks.

So far it's been "the attack on Kyiv was just a feint" and "they don't really need Kharkiv, they just want Donbass". I guess "they want to keep Crimea, Kherson isn't important" is next.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,460 ✭✭✭Markcheese

The positioning before the rain will be crucial , who controls which roads ... To give options of attack once the ground freezes ... If the ground is very frozen it'll make digging trenches in a hurry very difficult ,so pulling back in a panic could be disastrous..

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Housefree

It has been reported by CNN & Sky News that it is a burial site

To knock down hypersonic missiles, it would appear you need the very latest British air defence system, Sky Sabre. Not only can it supposedly track and hit hypersonic missiles, it can even intercept a bomb dropped from a plane or an artillery shell in flight. It seems to be able to intercept pretty much anything:

"Sky Sabre is so accurate and agile that it is capable of hitting a tennis ball sized object travelling at the speed of sound. In fact, it can control the flight of 24 missiles simultaneously whilst in flight, guiding them to intercept 24 separate targets. It is an amazing capability.”  https://www.defencetoday.com/land/sky-sabre-poland/

I find it beyond bizarre that the UK provided Sky Sabre to Poland and not Ukraine, which unquestionably need it far more. It could have saved a lot of lives as many, many cruise missiles wouldn't have reached their targets, which seem to mostly be civilians.

The railgun the US navy was developing wasn't intended for shooting down missiles, it was an offensive weapon designed to replace or supplement conventional large calibre naval guns, but with 20 times the range. It was hoped and theorised that it would have been cheaper to operate than has been the case, as the electricity used to propel the projectile was considerably cheaper than a large explosive charge. My reading on it suggests that the projectile might have been the problem as the original estimated price blew out even more than the F-35.

The projectiles were supposed to be actively guided for pinpoint precision.  It must be very difficult to make electronics and guidance fin actuators and such that can survive the 60,000g acceleration when it's fired.  The range is actually far greater than I remembered, being about 350km https://www.naval-technology.com/analysis/featureus-navy-electromagnetic-railgun-programme/

Actually, the story behind the Zumwalt class next-gen destroyer the gun was intended for is equally interesting. I'm not sure I fully believe all the stories about both systems being failures and being discontinued and suspect those might be smoke screens.

The Chinese claim they are actually deploying an operational rail gun on their latest ships so it seems truly bizarre that the US is supposedly giving up. If a US and Chinese ship get within 300k of each other, a railgun projectile could theoretically take out the opponent in one tenth the time of a comparatively slow tomahawk given the projectile is 10 times faster.

The civillians were buried in individual graves, the Ukrainian troops have been found in a single pit. France24 current news coverage actually showed the body with the rope around the neck, which the investigator believed had been used to strangle and kill the person by asphyxiation.

Stop trying to downplay this, it's not working.

• Advertisement

And yet people on the ground are saying bodies with their hand tied and signs of torture

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement