Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Russia - threadbanned users in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,702 ✭✭✭firemansam4

A certain poster?

I take it you are on about me when I said hopefully it might be a slow burner and might kick off a bit more, then I stated it was probably wishful thinking from me.

You kind of have a thing about calling out posters on this thread. Well at least be genuine about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,442 ✭✭✭jmreire

I'd say that after all the millions/ billions invested in the armed forces after the Georgia debacle ( he could not understand how it to his "Superior Army" 10 or 12 days to subdue an inferior Georgian force. ) So when he mentioned his pet "Ukrainian Russification Project" to his advisers, and asked= why not? After all, he had the 2nd best army in the world, didn't he? Or did he? So of course he was assured that he did indeed have the 2nd best army in the whole wide world. And as they say.... the rest is history.

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Housefree

The US wasn't kicked out for it's illegal invasion of the sovereign country of Iraq. A precedent has already been set. Can't change the rules for others

• Registered Users Posts: 22,408 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

There is no mechanism in the UN charter to eject a permanent member of the SC

There is no mechanism to change the charter if a permanent member vetoes it

Therefore, we need to create a new UN 2.0 organisation with a new charter that is agreed by all the existing UN members other than those clearly failed states that used to be UN Permanent SC members in UN v 1.0

Its not beyond the realm of possibilities. These global bodies used to change all the time. It would be a headache, but it's worth doing if the alternative is keeping a completely unworkable solution hampered by despots

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Didn't Russia support and sponsor the invasion of south Korea by the North,and actually sent Russian troops and aircraft to fight against UN forces in south Korea, while preaching and calling for peace and negotiations at the UN General assembly at the time.

Precedent set ..

The precedent was not set with unanimous agreement. Lots of UN members were very pissed off at the US Gulf War 2

That precedent has been taken way beyond the breaking point, so I think there is a window of opportunity to take this crisis and use this to place limits on all the super powers. The chances of that actually working are very low, but higher than they would have been

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Housefree

Lots of UN members are pissed off at Russia today as well, I'm just making the point it has happened already and the member didn't get removed

If we could place limits on them they wouldn't really be superpowers

• Registered Users Posts: 3,839 ✭✭✭Polar101

So then they wouldn't be going into Poland, which wasn't a part of the Soviet Union. The next "logical" (lol) targets would have been Moldova and Georgia - former Soviet Union states which aren't in NATO.

Russia is not a superpower anymore, arguably, neither is the UK or France (apart from having a big nuclear arsenal). There is no mechanism to add or remove permanent members to the security council, so it needs to fail, and be replaced by something new

The act of removing Russia from the UNSC will cause a crisis where there will be a full rebalancing of global hegemony

Nobody knows what future fudge there will be when the Current system collapses, but you can be sure that it will be very different to what we have now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,922 ✭✭✭GM228

the UN can't come together and kick Russia out

UN is a joke, vote on kicking them out,

The problem is the UN is bound by the rules of the Charter, if they could no doubt they would remove Russia from the UN, the GA already did all it could realistically do when it suspended Russia from the HRC

Whilst it is possible to expel a member from the UN, it requires a vote from the GA ón foot of a vote from the SC, but with Russia as a permanent P5 member it is never going to vote out itself, when the UN was created it never envisaged the enemy within and so never allowed for a mechanism to expel a P5 member.

Now it is possible to amend the Charter to allow a mechanism for removal of a P5 member, but, again such an amendment can only be done when there is full backing of the P5 member states. Talk about the UN being stuck between a rock and a hard place

• Registered Users Posts: 13,712 ✭✭✭✭briany

Russia isn't a superpower anymore.

But this thing about the US invasion of Iraqi us often trotted out. Firstly, plenty of people in the West were against that invasion, and the sense that it was the wrong course of action only increased over time. Even leaving that aside, if the principle is that one country is wrong to invade another, it Is better for that principle to be applied even once than never for fear of looking hypocritical.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,834 ✭✭✭Cake Man

Dunno lads, not a fan at all of that German announcement offering to take in surrendered r*ssians. I get what they are trying to achieve in doing so but I wouldn't see any good coming from it. As others mentioned, thousands of them pouring in and potentially clashing with Ukrainians and that's probably the best case.

Worst case most of those fcukers would be out on the streets within a week with their filth flags and Z symbols showing support for the war, spreading disgusting r*ssian influence to western Europe. Same with all those queues of the filthy rats scurrying to the Finnish and Georgian borders, I wouldn't be letting any of them in. I understand they need visas to enter Finland, not sure how easy they can get them and how long they'd be permitted to stay but they don't require anything to enter Georgia. It only serves to open another can down the road of "oh hey look guys, even though this isn't Russia we think it should be part of Russia. Also, did we mention we feel oppressed by the locals here? We need to be liberated by the motherland". Rinse and repeat for Armenia/Mongolia/Kazakhstan and any of the other places they're looking to flee to.

Every one of the fcukers should be contained within that sh!thole of a country. I get that that might mean many trapped who genuinely do not support the war and are anti-p*tin but there's just too high a risk of them that would use the opportunity to feign surrender and infiltrate the west to stir the pot. Not to mention more than a few FSB/SVR goons under false identities being sent in to do the same, as well as reporting back the identities of all those who have genuinely surrendered and all of a sudden their families are then punished.

One clear different is that most of the world is in agreement that the Russian invasion of Ukraine is illegal, it's without question, on the other hand the question of the US led invasion of Iraq had the world divided and the question of lawfulness has never been answered one way or the other.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,497 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Looks like the draft is going to be a problem. There seems to be an exit by those being drafted. A bit like the US and the Vietnam War.

The lads in Chechen's and other eastern Russian will be like the Aussie and flee into the bush.

I think we are at the endgame.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 18,516 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Interesting snippet from the talk shows. Putin *wasn't* talking in his speech about dropping tactical nuclear weapons on Ukraine or the Ukrainian army (the "this is not a bluff" part) - instead he was referring to nuking Western cities.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Can not remotely agree with that. As things stand if they oppose the war in Russia they are pretty much by definition entitled to asylum given the repercussions they would face. How can you call Russia essentially a dictatorship then turn around and say all citizens are responsible?

Collective punishment would, I am sure, be less appealing if foisted on citizens of the U.K. for example for the iraq war. Despite vocal opposition there being far safer.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,321 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

The issues of Ukrainians meeting Russians on the streets of Munich I think are strong enough. That is not trouble that Germany, or any other nation needs to undertake. And how long should such refugees be hosted?

Russians in a position to escape by money or quirk of geography have no more right to security than Russians who were not able to escape before the draft man caught up with them and found themselves in Ukraine wearing a uniform. One can certainly feel sorry for them, (especially the draftees) but that is not Ukraine’s problem, neither is it the problem of any other nation. If Moscow wishes to send them into the meat grinder, their lives are in effect forfeit. If denied the opportunity to evade, maybe they may decide that if they are forfeit anyway, they may as well try to change the regime. Allowing escape also removes the incentive to do such a thing.

Or they can simply go to the front and hope to surrender at the first opportunity.

Not to mention the other minor matter of trying to figure out if the military-aged-male claiming to want access to Germany is actually seeking refuge from the draft, or if he’s a special forces soldier happy to scope out what’s going on at Vilseck or Grafenwoher.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭purplepanda

Time has come for young Russian men to take a stand against Adolf Putin & his invasion & war against a neighbouring nation & strike for freedom for Russia.

"For he who will die

Is he who will kill?

Maybe I want to see the wheatfields

Over Kiev and down to the sea

It's up to you, not to heed the call up

I don't want to die

It's up to you, not to hear the call up

I don't want to kill"

The Clash The Call Up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ScaGjwkg2Y

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Israel was blocking transfer of anti drone systems to Ukraine but has reversed that decision because Russia decided to buy in Iranian drones. An Israeli defence contractor is now supplying them via Poland.

And so it begins, any idea when the sham results are due to be announced? Interesting days ahead I think.

Wonder will the voter turnout be better than the 2014 annexation of Crimea, hard to beat Sevastopol which had a 123% voter turnout. 🤔

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Its starting to appear that 300,000 going to be a lot more. The Russians have notions of throwing scores of men at Ukraine, Stalingrad-esque, without enough equipment or cold weather gear.

It will be more Operation Barbarossa than Stalingrad.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,323 ✭✭✭prunudo

So suppose the real question is, how many of these 300,000 will be there in time to vote in the referendums.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

100 million Ak 47,74,M, rifles produced by Russia in the last 60+ years .

Soldiers be sent to Ukraine with monsin nagant WW2 bolt action rifles.

• Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭Addmagnet

You're a regular little ray of sunshine, aren't you? Spreading your FUD around like manure.

I'm not a religious person, but if I was, I'd be on my knees every night thanking God that all I have to deal with is higher prices (for a lot of stuff that either I don't really need or, frankly, was cheaper than it's real cost anyway), and not being murdered, raped, tortured or displaced. Grow up and grow a pair.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,799 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

Lmao, he's not goin to nuke any western cities. As soon as that first nuke dropped, Russia would be turned to glass.

They are huffing the copium pipe hard over there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭rogber

Agree totally.

Alas, if we have an organisation where democracies are given priority then dictatorships will just say they don't recognise the legitimacy of the organisation and go form their own club.

Which again raises the question: what's the point at all? It's yet another nice idea that fails in practice. Humanity can't agree on how to tackle anything, from war to pandemics to climate change. We just muddle through from one crisis to the next till one day a crisis comes and we don't muddle through

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement