Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Russia - threadbanned users in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,407 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Lol

All Eyes On Rafah

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Love it

• Registered Users Posts: 8,440 ✭✭✭jmreire

Might not have been destroyed completely but I'd say that there's a fair wobble in the steering, not mention what would happen if they tried shooting its guns,,🙄

• Registered Users Posts: 3,839 ✭✭✭Polar101

Sure, but if both numbers (Russian and Ukrainian casualties) are released by the Ukrainians, they're just going to be random numbers that look great. I don't think no-one knows actual what the actual Ukrainian casualties are. When it comes to Russian casualties, at least there are verified pictures regarding equipment losses on sites such as:

Hopefully not the only delivery of Nasams for ukraine,

They Really need multilayer defenses around the cities and vital infrastructure

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭zv2

They need to burn a path right up to Kherson city, with impunity. NATO needs to make this happen. No ifs ands or buts...

“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” — Voltaire

• Registered Users Posts: 5,130 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

I fully expect that casualties on both sides to be horrendous when the full extent is known over the coming years.

For all the publicity (propaganda) of Russian personnel and materiel, the Ukrainians must be losing a huge number and keeping it mostly under wraps.

“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” — Voltaire

• Registered Users Posts: 18,512 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

The numbers would definitely be considerably smaller. They are defending their own country and know their own terrain inside out. It has been shown statistically in the past that an invading army is likely to have the far bigger number of casualties (assuming that both sides are fairly evenly matched on the battlefield).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,968 ✭✭✭Big Ears

It really does emphasise how important the next month is for the Ukrainian army.

Gains will likely be extremely slow to perhaps non existent over the Winter with the difficulty in moving vehicles around as the conditions worsen. It's a must to take back as much ground/cities as they can over the next few weeks as a result.

The growing success of their air force is of interest though. High Winds and cloud cover may affect them, but mud won't. It'll be interesting to see if they can continue to have success in that area as the months go on.

Although a lot of that success is probably highly correlated with the destruction of Russian air defence systems/artillery by Ukrainian artillery.

Same site covers Ukrainian losses,

A few of us have used the links through the thread,

Nobody is saying that ukraine isn't suffering loses heavy or not , but when it comes to making out that Ukraine is losing based off Russian Neo Nazis social media accounts masquerading as official Russian military outlets

• Registered Users Posts: 8,440 ✭✭✭jmreire

Given Putins scant regard for the law, any law ( unless when it suits him of course) I don't think he will lose any sleep over it. He's already driving a coach and four through his recent conscription regulations.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,957 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

No way will these forced draftees fight , they will deflect to Ukrainian side for sure, 300k more soldiers for Ukraine.

The ultimate face palm for Putin, can't wait to see it .

I can only imagine what they are going to feel when shells and Ukrainian drones and tank start hitting them ,

Terror is the only word I'd use

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Wibbs I understand your position and under other circumstances I'd agree with you.

However this is involving a nation that has and is interfering with European politics, which has ignored international law an initially annexed another sovereign nations territory, initially carried out a "proxy" war and then invaded them earlier this year. It has committed war crimes and breached law governing pows.

Until the regime falls we should not be hosting their representatives here at all. At the very minimum we should expel most of the 28 staff and let them have 5 like our representatives in Moscow. Again personally I believe we should shut our Embassy down, bring our people home and turf the lot of them out. With Putin's regime there should be no grey areas.

Just before the surrender of the Azoztal

aidan aslin aka cossack gundi recorded this video explaining that dire situation,not long after this and the handing over to so called Separatists only to be tortured , stabbed and starved and then publicly sentenced to death,

Freed the other day.

Honestly feel so emotional watching this you can see and hear the fear in his eyes and voice,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,392 ✭✭✭nigeldaniel

I know, I know, I know. Some on on here will have a fit when they see another link to CNN. - slaps my own wrist- bad boy Dan, bad boy.

Ukraine and Kyiv have out smarted Putin and Russia. Makes sense when you think about the way Putin is currently behaving.

Dan.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭eire4

I totally agree with you. At a minimum they should lose all but the same number of staff as we have in Moscow. But personally I would be all for kicking them out altogether and closing their embassy and as you say turning it over to house Ukrainian refugees. Russia may not be directly attacking us but housing the Ukrainian refugees as well as the massive spike in food and energy prices is costing us economically very large sums of money likely to be in the billions when its all said and done and all as a direct result of Russia's actions.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,884 ✭✭✭✭josip

Can Manic or someone explain what it would be like to be inside a tank when hit by a missile like that. How much of a difference does reactive armour make? Are there burst ear drums, g-forces, shock waves, ptsd, ? In Irish terms, I'd imagine that even if you did survive unscathed, that you'd be 'fierce shook' after something like that.

Post edited by josip on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭Run Forest Run

When it comes to nukes, it's all hollow talk.

If they retaliated by nuking Moscow and St. Petersberg, they might as well be dropping nukes on their own cities like New York and Los Angeles at the same time. Because that's exactly what would happen.

Any threats the US can make towards Russia with regards to nuclear weapons, Russia can make exactly the same counter threats. So they cancel each other out as a threat.

Does America really want to lose places like New York, Los Angeles or Chicago in exchange for trying to protect Ukraine? Highly unlikely. Your average American citizen doesn't value Ukraine enough to make that sacrifice. And neither does their government, despite their attempts at tough talk. It's M.A.D talk.

When M.A.D talk is real, we won't be hearing from these people. They'll be securely in their bunkers deep under ground, and we'll be witnessing the greatest fireworks show mankind has ever produced. (for a few brief seconds before we're toast)

It's actually deeply immature and insecure talk from the Americans if I'm being honest. Just because one guy is waving around his nukes, doesn't mean you have to copy him. It smacks of desperation, because they can't control what's happening in Ukraine.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭20silkcut

The only ones I hear talking about nukes is Russia. Every single bloody day on their primetime tv propaganda shows. They threaten us with obliteration. You would nearly think they are the only ones with nukes.

Well, he said nothing about using nukes. There is no need to use them to punish the Russians. Your man on Sky News mentioned NATO boots on the ground but I don't know if this is what he was talking about in that clip.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,053 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

And there I respectfully disagree with you. Our supposed neutrality is just a meaningless fig leaf that we wave around in a display of virtue signalling. We do this from the relative comfort of our position on the west coast of Europe and hiding behind the skirts of the UK and USA on either side. It's a national self delusion and meant nothing in the last great European conflict when we were 'neutral' on the side of the Allies.

So I believe our Taoiseach was quite right to stand up and state that Russia is now a rogue state, even if it was at a meeting of a body that has shown itself to have fundamental flaws when it comes to managing a 'big rogue state'.

At some point this conflict will end and that point has been set by Ukraine as when Russian troops are removed from all the territory that is recognised internationally as Ukraine.

We don't need a Russian embassy here for this, we are part of the EU and have already established that we'll follow what the EU decides collectively in these matters. Let them be gone and good riddance. Or at the very least as suggested, reduced to bare min of ambassador, cook & secretary.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,053 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

And the main amplifiers here of the threat are all pro Russian.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Lol if it's immature for the Americans to threaten to respond to a WMD attack on Ukraine what is the repeated threats from Putin, other politicians and state sponsored TV personalities of nuclear assault on numerous countries. In fact is it mature for one nation to attack another sovereign nation under false pretences, I don't think it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,405 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Of course you do. Because the only thing that counters the threat of nukes are nukes.

The US nuclear guarantee applied to Europe during the Cold War even then it didnt mean US citizens valued German cities same as their own.

There is nothing immature about it.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,047 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Yes they are horrendous. The Ukrainians are losing about 100 troops a day while the Orcs are losing 366. But a significant difference is that the Ukrainians seem more focused on saving and protecting their personnel as a priority.

Earlier I was doing some research, wondering how a certain donated vehicle was performing, and the driver of one said:

'‘If we had more vehicles like this, we would save more lives – and the lives of our soldiers are the most important thing.’"

• Registered Users Posts: 4,883 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

I don't believe the US or any of Ukraine's backers ever threatened Russia with nuclear weapons.

e.g. this article about what may/may not have been said to Russia (in response to...Russia's reckless nuclear sabre rattling let's not forget).

My thought would be they are probably telling Russia that if they use such weapons anywhere, the opposite of NATO/US backing off in fear and leaving Ukraine to its fate will happen and they will involve themselves directly in the war. As we know, the big invasion isn't going well as it is, Putin pulling all kinds of desparate stunts to try and rescue the situation. I don't think Russia's military on tour in Ukraine + the Black Sea etc. will do so well if US/NATO unleashed its considerable air/sea power on them (big mobilisation or no mobilisation).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,512 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

If Russia detonated a small nuclear device in Ukraine, there would be no particular need for the West to respond in kind with a similar nuclear weapon - they have numerous ways they could respond strongly without having to resort to such drastic action.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement