Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Russia - threadbanned users in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭zv2

There could be a cascade of surrenders - theoretically at least.

“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” — Voltaire

• Registered Users Posts: 7,100 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

Given the lack of solid information, at this time, about what exactly happened I think it's unwise to declare for sure that any particular party did it.

Give it time and we'll learn more.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,407 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Well you know what, it hasnt been said in quite a while, but,

Fcuk Putin.

All Eyes On Rafah

• Registered Users Posts: 1,652 ✭✭✭greenpilot

Welcome to Boards.ie.

Just remember, nothing anyone discusses on these pages has any bearing, whatsoever, on the outcome of, well, anything to do with the war.

This an Irish, nondescript discussion forum.

Just thought I'd mention that, seeing that you're "new" and all. :)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

If the US did blow those pipelines, it would be one of their biggest political and military blunders in recent history. And to what end? To piss off their NATO partners, piss off the EU and Europe and Ukraine?

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

Surely that would be a stupid thing for the US to do if it was their own sub doing it?

I wonder how this women can call her self anything regarding childrens or human rights in her title

• Registered Users Posts: 8,922 ✭✭✭GM228

To come back to the Cyprus issue, @greenpilot wrote "Well, it so happens that Forces.net wrote an article 7 days ago, and I quote:......", this is incorrect and has caused all the confusion.

Google for some reason shows the Forces.net article as being written 7 days ago but when you enter the article it was written in 2015, the references to the issues in Ukraine obviously relating to Crimea.

There's plenty of reports of Cyprus banning the Russian Navy since March even before the EU ban and not one single report of them allowing the Russian Navy access or violation of the EU sanctions since, coupled with the US sanctions reversal it is obvious despite their voicing concerns over EU sanctions that they have not allowed any more ships into their ports, the screenshot from the 19th simply shows a vessel off the Cyprus coast, not docked in a Cyprus port.

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭Run Forest Run

That's great if you think you've got a firm grasp on what YOU think is or isn't true.

There's plenty of nobody's on the old interweb, who seem to think they're some sort of oracle of knowledge. (they rarely ever are)

I'll make my own mind up, if that's okay with you wibbs? (I'm "quite sure" I know how to do that)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,450 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

US isn't flying around tracking its own subs ffs. It's looking for the bad guy's subs. US tracking is very good at that sort of thing and has been for many years.

Now, tracking RuSSian subs would be de rigeur. For all any of us know, there might be Chinese subs there, too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,100 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

Lyman has almost been cut off:

Even if the Russian forces flee they are likely to have to run the gauntlet of Ukrainian fire to escape.

How dare Ukraine threaten Russian troops trying to invade their country

• Registered Users Posts: 9,008 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

The NS2 leak is only at about 70m depth, and the NS1 ones seem to be at about 80-100m, so they're (relatively) accessible to investigation (once the leaks themselves are stopped). While a smoking gun may never be found, I'd assume there'd be enough evidence gathered over the coming months to point a finger in a reasonable direction. But of course human nature, particularly on Twitter or boards like this, can't necessarily wait that long...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,652 ✭✭✭greenpilot

I stand corrected. Indeed, on mine too, it says it was written 7 days ago.

There you go, even I make mistakes....

Lol..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,036 ✭✭✭joseywhales

Let's be clear there is zero chance the us did it, I would bet everything I own on it. A country whose ideology is to export capital markets and development to help enrich itself and enhance it's own security is not in the business of blowing up infrastructure of it's allies. It's a ludicrous suggestion.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,646 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Reasonable point, but it would take a lot to convince me that if the US did it, they did it without the agreement of their European NATO allies. It will eventually be discovered who did it and if it turns out it was the US on their own initiative their European alliances will be in tatters.

If it was a deliberate act my money would still be on Russia (why? no idea to be honest).

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭Run Forest Run

If it becomes obvious that Russia are "all in", you'll probably see more sabotaging of infrastructure.

However, I very much doubt that either Russia or Ukraine would go "all in" and destroy any hope of a negotiated settlement.

If Ukraine or the west weren't hoping for some sort of future settlement, they would probably have blown up the Crimean bridge already for example. But they know that Russia would be even less likely to abandon their land bridge to Crimea in those circumstances.

These countries will always maintain certain bargaining chips to use as leverage for future negotiations. It would be foolish not to, regardless of what they say publicly.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,906 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

I'm 100% against this war (just to clarify that, ya know).But I struggle to see how Russia damaging those pipelines makes sense.

I mean not even in crazy land does it make a whole pile of sense.It's not even vindictive, it's not really anything other than....a weird amount of effort for little or no gain.

Don't who else might be motivated either mind you.And it seems fairly clear that is was intentional sabotage, and nothing accidental.🤨

• Registered Users Posts: 9,008 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

You're right, and that makes more sense - the news sites were awash with the 2015 agreement (which was even controversial at the time). Thanks for the clarification.

In fact, as someone else mentioned above, the US has removed its arms embargo on Cyprus as they have agreed to ban Russian naval ships from their ports (and have agreed to US monitoring of this). From September 25th 2022:

The complete lifting of the US arms embargo, which was welcomed by Nicosia as a historic and landmark decision, is with strings attached. Russian navy ships are barred from docking in Cyprus ports, even for refuelling, and the US will be monitoring the situation and carrying out an annual review. This is unlikely to go down well in Moscow, which had made its displeasure known back in 2020 when the US conditions for the partial lifting of the embargo that were included in the East Med Act were announced. The refuelling of Russian navy ships continued until the EU sanctions were imposed, but will not resume, if the military cooperation with the US is to be maintained.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭zv2

Very unusual footage. "Movie 61. Brig. Infantry showing 2 🇺🇦 Su-24 bombers delivering CAS 🇺🇦 to troops in #DavydivBrid, obw. #Kherson dropping bombs with a delay parachute on 🇷🇺 a tank hidden in the forest, destroying it."

“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” — Voltaire

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,440 ✭✭✭jmreire

Well unless you understand Russian, you won't know if they are genuine or fake ( as some are saying, and they could well be right) But even just going by facial expressions, and general attitude ( especially the she witch) there's a change in mannerisms anyway. All that previous Gung-Ho positive attitude seems to be not so prevalent anymore.

It makes sense if you are Russia,to have an excuse to blame the west, to get the Russian people to think they are at war with NATO.

That way they have a reason to mobilize more troops and use nuclear weapons.

And trust me,Russia is losing in Ukraine and getting more and more desperate,so this will only get worse before it gets better.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,405 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Look at what they did with their commercial airline industry at a cost of multiple billions...

Cutting off nose to spite face? Yes. Russia have already done so.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 23,995 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

As soon as they put a live AK in the hands of conscripts for training, particularly those from the ethnic minorities, they'll just shoot the instructors and the officers.

Why would they not?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭paul71

So you do because you are chairlviant and you knew they were coming? How very odd!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,948 ✭✭✭circadian

It's possible Putin and his cronies know they could be kicked out in the coming months considering how the population has reacted to their first draft. I can't think of anyone else that would want to do this or what they would gain beyond outgoing Russians destroying things on their way out so when those that come into power want to sit down and talk have one less financial tool to work with.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Me in that post pointing out the BS on both sides of this war.... You not liking something you find difficult to argue run to projection and insult. Maybe link up another obvious pro Russian shill vid on the tube?

That's if you believe the Germans and the Russians are looking for an out. The Germans are dragging their heels to some degree, but their partners in the EU and NATO aren't. They've upped their support against Russia. The US has made it an official military campaign and official lend lease in the billions. Two things that would make it much more difficult for any new US government and president to row back on. They could list Russia as a state sponsor on terror next(Americans and irony being strange bedfellows). Plus the G7 oil cap and insurance restrictions on Russian shipping and the EU upping their next set of sanctions.

If it comes out the US blew these pipelines then Germany to force them to take US LNG, then feelings would be much more likely to pivot back to Russia. Never mind the French, the British and the rest of Europe asking serious questions of American "help" and intentions. Now US military thinking can be stupid at times, but completely against their interests? Yes you have their LNG, which the EU is already buying.

I'd be very surprised if the Chinese had the capability or the intent. Their two biggest markets are the US and EU at nearly one trillion per year. For all their "support" for Russia, the Chinese aren't going to hit themselves in the pocket by destabalising either, but especially the EU, especially at the moment with their own economic issues.

The Norwegians and their line? Seems like an awful lot of effort for a non military organisation to go to and one which would have many more ears and eyes involved being civillian so more chance of being found out. Never mind that because of Russia's invasion and energy blackmail the Norwegians are in the perfect position to get Europe to pivot to them. Europe already is. And to the ME and to North Africa.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,440 ✭✭✭jmreire

It's not quite like that in Russia. Think of a people who were the product of generations of communism, and you ( and your Family) were just a Nr in the system. Communism, whatever about its lofty ideals of the worker's paradise. in reality it was the most corrupt system ever devised. So when it did eventually fall apart ( largely due to corruption ) a lot of the system and more importantly, the mindset stayed in place. So you had a compliant society to deal with,,and when Putin arrived on the scene, it was ready made for him. None the less, this "Special Limited " mobilization might be the trigger for a revolt. It's the one thing Putin and his minions have been afraid of all along.

Of nearly all the Russian moves during this war, that act completely floored me tbh. I truly couldn't believe the utter kneejerk stupidity of it. Did anyone tell them what this would mean? It was almost nada to do with the aircraft themselves.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭bad2thebone

Your observations are spot on. In layman's terms there's a lot of acting the maggot going on.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement