Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Russia - threadbanned users in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,191 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Was there?

I don't know why some people keep trying to invoke the the Tartar card, as if that's some sort of win. I've never seen anything to suggest that either the Russian or Ukrainian contingent really give a crap about the Tartar ethnicity on the peninsula.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭xxxxxxl

And the large russian bases in the area with tones of green men ?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭xxxxxxl

lol this is like saying Ireland is British due to the low population of native Irish those that speak the language. just think about that. Google little green men that may help.

• Advertisement

Life of Putin

• Registered Users Posts: 18,500 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

I do not wish death on any man and it is something I take no pleasure in seeing. Most Russian soldiers are grunts that are conscripted to fight in this war of Putin and his cadre. It's a reality of war that this is what happens when fighting dictators

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭EOQRTL

Undoubtedly the most accurate post of this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,616 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

It's also stating the absolute obvious as an attempt to justify "both sides" and whataboutery.

How about we take it that everyone on the thread knows to take war reports with a pinch of salt until stated otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭Rawr

Hmm, might not be a an accurate picture, but if it is, doesn’t exactly scream “Prime Military Discipline” does it?

Gives the vibe of a couple of Secondary School lads being made to go on the crappest camping trip you can think of. Except this one ends when you get shot by a professionally trained soldier on the other side.

What you bet that these lads here were mere hours from being sent in?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,454 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

I've been thinking about post-war Ukraine. They'll have a very well trained military up on the latest miltech, lots of bitter combat experience and facing a time of peace and rebuilding. If Crimea were to somehow stay part of RuSSia, I wouldn't expect it to be for very long. Maybe the UN will put in some mitigating efforts to keep the Ukrainians from reclaiming it, but maybe not.

Plus, there'll be all kinds of Ukrainian mercenaries for hire, too. Frankly, I can't wait to see how it shakes out, a powerful military that's very pro-EU on the RuSSian border is only good for future EU security I believe. What comes out of the wreckage of Putinism will be very, very wary.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,683 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Its not accurate, at all.

Casting all information coming out of Ukraine as equally dubious is as utterly stupid as uncritically believing everything. If you are going to trust "nothing" then you may as well believe that Russian tanks are encircling Kyiv.

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭Wes M.

Watching the clips of the Russian current affairs shows from the weekend, the Kremlin are turning the domestic narrative into a Russia-as-underdog, not fighting Ukraine, but a wealthy and vastly equipped West which seems the only way they can excuse the battlefield failures. I saw hints at pausing, regrouping, building up industry and so on (and a restaint in the evangelical nuclear talk it seems) so perhaps we're about to see some kind of honourable withdrawal in the face of such impossible odds.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,065 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

I agree with your first sentiment. We must also know that these same men have made a choice and make a choice daily to support this illegal invasion. So personal responsibility comes into it. There's a price to be paid for the appalling destruction, death & maiming they've delivered on the civilian populations there. They could down arms and surrender if they choose or face the consequences of being involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,065 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

The Pope has been as useless as the UN in this whole war. Meanwhile the Russian Orthodox Pope tells Russian men to go and die for the greater glory of Russia and they'll go straight to heaven. Should be conscripting all his priests and send them off to do his dirty work.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Seems the Ukrainans aren't listening to some random bloke on Twitter

• Registered Users Posts: 13,900 ✭✭✭✭josip

A lot of the towns being recaptured by Ukraine at the moment, like Dudchany below, look quite different to towns in Western Europe. They are usually laid out in a grid pattern and are more sparsely populated, with each house having sufficient land to grow their own food. A bit like Irish rural cottages on half an acre. I suppose these towns were originally designed to house the workers for the surrounding farmland. Other posters have already noted that there is often one road in and out of these towns and everything else is wide open fields with zero cover for approaching forces. I would expect that the battles to retake these towns are a bit different to how we normally envisage door to door, urban warfare.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

No .

You should really go and learn about Ukraine since the 90s ,

Your nothing bringing anything to the table that hasn't already been tried ,

Oh look I found something new 8 months into a thread,no nothing has been found

• Registered Users Posts: 13,715 ✭✭✭✭briany

I liked the clip from last week of that one big show they have - I don't know what it's called, but the hosts likes to stand in the centre with his hands behind his back - and they're talking about what to do with the commanders who've put Russia in this position. One of them talks about shooting the commanders and hanging them up by their feet, Mussolini style, and RT head Margarita Simonyan interjects with, "Well, I'm against shooting people.", like that's the pacifist voice in the conversation. Really slaps you in the head with the cultural difference. They're basically Klingons over there.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,047 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

They want you to fall for it, irrespective of what their private thoughts are.

• Advertisement

I'd love to appoint you to count the Orc carcases comming out of the warzone: can't be 1, I didn't see that 2, nope 3, not another one 4, it's not going well for my kin 5, I'll have to find a new allegiance 6...

Post edited by cnocbui on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭Economics101

My quibble was with the "voted to remain ethnically Russian" bit. I think your post shows that (a) 67% identified as ethnically Russian and (b) that lots of people in Crimea voted for Russian or Dual Russian/Ukrainian citizenship. The vote was not for/against an ethnic identity, but for a political identity. Ethnic identity and citizenship are different things. If one is an ethnic nationalist things can get very nasty.

Didn't this fool 'sea' what they did with those 'mines' for that stunt? They were ordered to repurpose them. /j

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭Wes M.

Yeah, I saw that and it shocked me even these dark days. But I've always thought, rightly or wrongly, there's a brutality in the Russian soul, which I suppose trickles down from centuries of state subjugation.

An interesting aside that fits with that mobile, light and fast infantry bit: I was curious how the Australian supplied Bushmaser personnel protection vehicles were doing so did a search for references to them. The answer is that the Ukrainians think they rock, saving many lives and have several times asked for more, because they are using them so hard some have gotten very bent. I think the only loss of life was in one that took a direct hit from an anti tank munition.

The other thing was that the Ukrainians are using them as infantry assault vehicles, something they are not designed for, but they said they have to as they are desperately short of everything of that nature. Reportedly they have even taken on tanks. In doing so, they have found it's speed and manoeuvrability, better visibility and situational awareness means it actually has some distinct advantages over BTRs and tanks, which when driven hard in urban environments miss turns, crash into trees. So keen are they on this rapid assault role they have repurposed these transports for that they have asked the Australians for more, and to fit the 14.5mm machine gun on the remote turret instead of the 7.62. Conjures up images of Oliver twist: please sir, can I have some more, with some tabasco sauce this time.

Putin dismissed the commander of the Western Military District Zhuravlyov due to failures at the front. He directed the shelling of Kharkiv and distinguished himself by atrocities in Syria

First Putin takes direct control, from Moscow no less, now he's reshuffling the deck like this. Situational awareness for this little Napoleon wannabe must be great - probably 48hrs behind reality, and the morale of his officers must be near zero.

URGENT. IMPORTANT INFORMATION

The tension of nuclear weapons is increasing day by day.

We were told that there was movement of nuclear weapons on the territory of the Russian Federation.

Therefore, we have prepared for you detailed instructions in case of a nuclear explosion and the most dangerous cities of Ukraine where nuclear weapons can be used.

⚡️Urgently check your region 👇

Oh sh​it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭EOQRTL

• Registered Users Posts: 14,412 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

Seems to be a lot happening in both the Northern and Southern fronts.

Ukraine advancing on both fronts, possible another pocket of Russian troops being surrounded in Kherson.

On the Kharkiv front, it seems to be collapsing since the liberation of Lyman. Svatove and Kreminna appear to be within sights of being taken over any day now. Not sure how long the Russians can keep up with this attritional loss. It's not just manpower at the moment, it's gear, ammo, food, officers, even beds and winter clothing.

Maybe that is the plan for Ukraine, suck in all these raw recruits into the front, wholly unprepared for the winter. Let the ground freeze and them with it, and roll them over after the first harsh cold snap.

As an aside, I just cannot see how Russia wins here. They are fucked each and every way.

• Advertisement

A Ukrainian Telegram channel, It was accompanied by links for every district.

https://liveuamap.com/ haven't picked up on it or echoed it, so hopefully it's a false alarm.

All the tactical nukes are in storage and the US are constantly monitoring them and will know if the Russians make a withdrawal and start moving and prepping any for use or deplayment.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement