Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Russia - threadbanned users in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

• Registered Users Posts: 23,653 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

As regards people saying Putin looked "unwell" yesterday. Agree. This is what he'll look like in 5 years time according to faceapp

• Registered Users Posts: 3,839 ✭✭✭Polar101

I don't think there's going to be a revolution in Belarus - plenty of Russian troops already in the country to prevent just that. After the "referendum" on Sunday, Lukashenko will tell everyone how mr. Putin is his country's best friend.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,278 ✭✭✭thomil

The big question is how much more of its current forces can Russia deploy and sustain in a potential Ukranian combat theatre? It's all well and good having a large army, but if that force is primarily built around a defensive operations concept, then even operating "next door" in Ukraine could be problematic, especially once operations stretch beyond the Donbas. If I remember my numbers correctly, Ukraine's Army, excluding the National Guard, is currently about the same size as the Russian forces based along its borders. Ukraine will also have the advantage of fighting on their home turf, which has both morale and logistical advantages. This fight could go either way, especially if Russia is unwilling, or unable, to commit more forces to the fight.

Good luck trying to figure me out. I haven't managed that myself yet!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,839 ✭✭✭Polar101

It wouldn't be a great idea for Ukraine to attack separatist/Russian controlled areas. They'll try and defend when the Russians move into Ukrainian-controlled areas.

• Advertisement

Zelensky has called up Ukraines military reserve , which could see 200,000+ reservists activated to support the main military forces of Ukraine

• Registered Users Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭ForestFire

Does that not look a little like Michael D?

Maybe we could sneak him in in a covert swap, and nobody would know...

Shure he probably has a bit of gra for the Russian language as well......

• Registered Users Posts: 15,348 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Does Russia realise how stupid they’re being.

They do realise that a lot of their economy is in exporting to the countries it’s threatening.

But no, old megalomaniac Vladddy has to stamp his legacy.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,922 ✭✭✭GM228

He's gone on record stating that he considers the "letting go" of former Russian territories throughout history a mistake

I'm always intrigued by the Russian claims about former Russian territories, what former Russian territories would that be?

There are former Soviet Union states alright, but not former Russian states, perhaps Russia forget that both the Ukraine and Russia themselves are both equally former Soviet Union states who both declared themselves independent at the same time, whilst Russia may be the recognised de facto successor of the Soviet Union the Ukraine (like all post Soviet States) were never part of the Russian Federation.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,922 ✭✭✭GM228

And to think Trump is likely still getting classified intel on the situation with Russia just like all other former US Presidents, Biden hinted before at restricting this access, but not sure that ever happened?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27 GeneralMudkip

Was probably diagnosed with some terminal illness and wants to leave a footprint in history, no matter positive or negative.

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭techman1

yes but it is important to Poland and Eastern Europe. maybe if Putin tries to go beyond the eastern provinces it could cause an alliance of eastern european countries to actually go in and fight to stop Russia trying to muscle back into Eastern Europe. Poland could also send in its own little green men into Ukraine and play Putin at his own games.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,658 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

• Registered Users Posts: 6,856 ✭✭✭sporina

How do the latest developments affect our gas supplies?

I don't think he is thank feck...last thing anyone need is him sticking his oar in with confidential information

Finland and the Baltic States. Finland was a Russian province until 1917, dito the Baltic States, Estonia, Latvia and Lithuania. Lenin decided to let Finland do its own thing in 1917, though he probably hoped that a successful communist revolution in newly independent Finland would bring them back into the fold.

As for the Baltic States, they basically gained their independence in the chaos of the Russian Civil War after the 1917 revolutions, with some significant help from the British in some cases. Both Drachinifel and The Great War have in-depth videos on the topic over on YouTube. Ukraine is a post-USSR development though, you're right on that one.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,563 ✭✭✭jackboy

Could not see that happening but even it’s it did they would be looking out for themselves. Ukraine has no real allies in the world. In reality they are not treated as a legitimate country by anyone. That is why Russia have invaded parts of it twice now recently with little response.

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭Ahherelads2022

Yeah I am sure dead polish soldiers dying for Ukraine is on the agenda in Warsaw. Of course Poland is a good pet for the US, they have a big army but they will only offer munitions and safe haven's to the elites who will skirt when a bullet is fired.

People are saying go to war to prevent a war, silly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,652 ✭✭✭greenpilot

Ukraine Military is not a patch on Russia. Plus, Turkey has the largest Army outside of Russia.

Russia will sweep fast and deep as the Ukraine topography is perfect for an armoured assault. However, when the battle reaches Urban area's, then Ukraine will have the upper hand to force Russia into a protracted war.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,708 ✭✭✭✭briany

Russia could always bombard those cities with artillery and aircraft to soften up urban resistance.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,760 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

How many times have people looked back at the reign of Hitler and said - "why didn't someone just put a bullet in his head?". Well, it's groundhog day.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Hobgoblin11

there is no way Putin will try to take Kiev, he's chicken

Dundalk, Co. Louth

• Registered Users Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭Nermal

Am I imagining things or has Josep Borrell Fontelles deleted his tweet 'threatening' oligarchs that holidays to St. Tropez were henceforth off?

Aye

I doubt oligarchs debit cards are declining at some of Moscows finer dining restaurants this evening

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

They can't really go all in on sanctions at this relatively early stage.

Just gotta hope bit by bit that the sanctions begin to hurt and Russia step back.

If all sanctions are put in place right away then there's no reason to not have a full scale invasion.

Russias military is great in videos showing large scale assaults on empty fields , but as seen in the Chechen wars they don't have things all their own way even against vastly smaller military forces ,

Ukraine has been preparing for this moment for year's,I don't think this will be as easy as been made out for the Russians, Maripol and donesk airport comes to mind too

That's one way to look at it I guess.

The other way would be to go all in before this escalates further...show Putin they mean business...and force him to get his "peacekeepers" out of the Ukraine early doors...nip it in the bud.

Time will tell I suppose!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Hobgoblin11

Putin intends on taking back Novorossiya (New Russia)

Dundalk, Co. Louth

• Advertisement

They might have to do that anyways, as they don't have the superiority in numbers that some people assume. Yes, they have 160.000 soldiers + equipment in the region, but the Ukrainian army is not much smaller and has the advantage of both being combat-experienced thanks to the Donbas insurgency and fighting on home turf, which makes logistics easier. What's more, Russia's land forces only number 280.000 in total, meaning Putin has deployed over half of his available ground forces for this operation. Given that he'll likely have to keep significant forces in position in the Caucasus to keep an eye on that region, and also has other commitments around Russia, Putin doesn't have much in the way of available reserves until he has to start mobilising reserve units. Russia might be able to gain air superiority, but once full-scale combat kicks off, this will be far from a walk in the park for Russia.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement