Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Russia - threadbanned users in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,118 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

Russians in this Telegram group are not happy

• Registered Users Posts: 8,922 ✭✭✭GM228

Good thread here on the strategic implications of this:

• Registered Users Posts: 17,930 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

I expect a national effort from Russia to get the bridge into working order again, I'd say they'll have it going again in a relatively short period. Some speculated that a boat exploded and caused this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Can't see it happening anytime soon,know it's been badly damaged it might be just be HiMars time too

Further to this post of mine last night the IAEA has just issued a preas release in the last few minutes that the plant lost it's last power line last night yet again at 1AM local time and is still on emergency generator support, that's nearly 13 hours now:-

I fear Zaporizhia NPP is a disaster just waiting to happen, not a case of if, but when, I really hope I'm wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Hobgoblin11

Breaking - Kerch bridge gone the way Of the dodo

Dundalk, Co. Louth

• Registered Users Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭Curious_Case

Bridging that gap will be quite the task, not quite as simple as going "bank to bank" across a river.

Presumably, a repair would entail restricting access further while being attempted.

Perhaps adjacent sections are compromised more than the images reveal.

Perhaps it will receive additional "treatment" from Ukraine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,799 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

Well I think we are about to find out if Putin is bluffing.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,600 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

That’s true about subs, and NATO tracks them too. There was news about the artic sub that went missing with red top papers speculating it was off to the balkans to threaten nuclear strikes. Of course that trip would take months and wasn’t the case.

Regarding weapon maintenance, that may be the case. However I read an interview with some former senior US military guy who said it’s likely the ICBMs are in better maintenance. But also we only need a couple of successful launches before it’s nuclear Armageddon.

I read another article recently where under anonymity some US military officials talked about war game simulations they played out with a Russian attack on a NATO member. The first game was about 10 years ago and I believe the simulation featured an attack on Poland. There was divide in the room apparently about how NATO responds but no matter what choice was made it was game over planet Earth

More relevant, they said in 2019 they played out a war game with Ukraine being attacked with a nuke to see how NATO would respond to a non NATO country being attacked by Russia with WMD. They said the games divided military opinions on response. They didn’t reveal the outcomes of the games but did say none of the outcomes were good for humanity.

Grim stuff.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,600 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Steve Seagall is at it again 🙈🙈🙈

Id say Seagall would get on with Daly and Wallace

https://flip.it/.T3Ae4

BBC reporting just now that only the road has collapsed after all. The railway line is intact.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭Curious_Case

Hopefully he pops his clogs from the pressure of it all.

Undeniable, sustained humiliation meets unassailable delusions of grandeur.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,458 ✭✭✭jmreire

And if Russia did set off such a weapon (assuming that they actually have one that works...) what would the response be from the west??

• Registered Users Posts: 20,047 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Here's a blast from the past that seems germane:

US sending drone boats for Ukraine port and coast defense

...Apr. 20th 2022

As part of its additional $800 million military aid package the US announced last week, the Department of Defense said it will be providing Ukraine with drone boats – better known as uncrewed surface vessels (USV) – for use against attacking Russian Navy craft in the Black Sea. The US Navy has tended to discuss its USVs as primarily defensive assets designed to intercept, dissuade, and rebuff intruders. But they are also capable of being equipped and deployed for the kind of offensive missions Ukraine may need to stop Russia from continuing brutal offshore rocket attacks on inland cities, or landing ground reinforcements and supplies.

“They’re designed to help Ukraine with its coastal defense needs… (a)nd I think I’m just going to leave it at that,” Kirby told reporters during a Pentagon briefing. “I’m not going to get into the specific capabilities, but they’re designed to help Ukraine with its coastal defense needs.”

When asked directly if the craft could be used for attacking Russian ships, Kirby refused to say.

One thing I remember is that they were providing more than one type and that these were still classified and possibly still experimental, though Kirby did emphasise that they were highly capable.

“I’m not going to promise you a newsletter, but I can promise that this deadly thing will work.’”

Well worth pondering on.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,754 ✭✭✭zv2

The west has promised a 'catastrophic' attack if nuclear weapons are used.

“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” — Voltaire

• Registered Users Posts: 12,413 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Holy fcuk what an absolutely superb and genius operation!

Stunning they could carry out an operation like that. Absolutely stunning.

Lol, Putler is having a bad morning.

All Eyes On Rafah

You don't even read the thread, do you? Cop on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,010 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

And it’s only one carriageway that collapsed (in two places). The other carriageway and the rail line may well be damaged, but they’re not down (yet).

Obviously this will have an immediate impact on Russia’s ability to supply Crimea and the other occupied areas, but also obviously Russia will prioritise the bridge’s repair. I think the main impact of this isn't so much the severing of a supply line, it’s that there’s no area of occupied Ukraine that is immune to strikes.

The bridge is the most strategic, symbolic, prestigious and protected structure that the Russians have in the area, and if it can be hit - and especially hit by something that appears to be other than a missile - then they’ll know that nothing is safe.

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭Mike3549

Would you go and fix the bridge while the missiles are flying over your head?

I don't think so

I've never had any interest in military matters prior to this invasion so I don't know too much about military history. I wonder has there been many instances in history where the armed forces have turned themselves around in such a small length of time as the Ukrainians have since their low point in 2014? Yes, I understand that they are getting huge quantities of equipment and intelligence from NATO but at the end of the day they're the ones who are executing the plans (and possibly even devising the strategies). I think it points at something deeper within the Ukrainian psyche that they have had the strength and self belief to pull this off. I have nothing but admiration for them.

Apparently an image of the perpetrator has been released...

• Registered Users Posts: 13,720 ✭✭✭✭briany

Most likely response to letting off such a weapon would be the complete decimation of all Russian forces within Ukraine via airstrikes, making the Shock and Awe of Baghdad look like an exhibition of soggy sparklers. That's only based on extrapolating what the USA have warned would happen to Russia if they let off even a 'small' device. It's the only move that could firmly rebuke Russia at that point without being seen to match Russia's escalation, which cannot be allowed to happen.

One thing's for sure, the ferocity of such a blast would be second only to the ferocity of the meltdowns on this thread. (bit of levity, there)

On the underwater nuclear blast creating a wave thing. Those downplaying this seem a bit disconnected from reality.

The US detonated a 26 Kiloton bomb near Bikini Atol in the Marshal islands under a fleet of naval vessels - operation Crossroads, Baker shot. The spray of ejected water was probably worse than the wave generated, but that wasn't in itself small:

At 11 seconds after detonation, the first wave was 1,000 feet (305 m) from surface zero and 94 feet (29 m) high.[108] By the time it reached the Bikini Island beach, 3.5 miles (6 km) away, it was a nine-wave set with shore breakers up to 15 feet (5 m) high, which tossed landing craft onto the beach and filled them with sand.

Now that was a little bomb of 26 kiloton yield. The Russian Tsar bomb was 50 megatons, detuned from 100 megatons to let the plane dropping it escape. So anyone dismissing an underwater blast 3846 times stronger than the one in that image, is being naive.

I believe their Poseidon nuclear powered nuclear torpedo drone that can travel 10,000 km at 100 kph, supposedly has a yield of 2 megatons, but likely could be fitted with something with a far greater yield.

Ironically the instance that comes to mind is the reversal of Germany’s fortunes when attacking Russia during WW2. Stalin had readied his escape to the Far East…

• Registered Users Posts: 13,720 ✭✭✭✭briany

Ah, I've heard this before. In fact, this was the line after Russia unilaterally annexed those territories within Ukraine, 2 weeks ago. We don't know what Putin's line actually is. Although the fear of Putin being pushed to that point increases with every kilometre Ukraine retakes, we still don't know for sure if Putin is truly prepared to deploy nukes for any piece of Russian-occupied Ukraine. Putin himself may not even know that.

Russia’s greatest sign of weakness would be detonating a nuke. It’s their last throw of the dice, risking annihilation.

How the corrupt have fallen.

• Advertisement

They have been receiving training in and with the US since Maidan.

I found this to be a bit of an eye opener, as previously I was unaware of just how much has been going on:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement