Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Russia - threadbanned users in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Hobgoblin11

NATO Secretary General Jens Stoltenberg: We condemn the horrific and indiscriminate Russian attacks against civilians

Dundalk, Co. Louth

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭doyle55

Would Ukraine still be in with a shout today with US arms + $$$ ?

God bless America Jean, and God bless Joe Biden.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,945 ✭✭✭✭josip

How does someone end up supporting Russia jf/monsieur? Perfectly understandable if you're living there or were from there originally and still have fondness for the regime I suppose?

But if none of those and given everything that has happened in the last 6 months, is supporting them a contrarian decision? Or a reluctance to admit that your moral compass was askew initially? Or have the last 6 months just been confirmation bias, only seeking out media reports that reconfirm your original choice? Do you ever have moments of introspection?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,776 ✭✭✭zv2

NATO on Russia's border? What about nuclear Russia on Ukraine's border? At any rate, this NATO business is only an excuse. He would have invaded anyway. As for you being on Russia's side - this war is now beyond politics, it is a moral issue and I cannot agree with anyone who sides with a barbaric, cruel nation filled with lies, bullying and torture chambers. The Russian leaders treat their people like children or cattle. How can anyone of conscience support such a nation?

“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” — Voltaire

• Registered Users Posts: 20,054 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,526 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

In the US, I know that Marines at any rank, including generals, do PT every day and I'd be very surprised if retired ones don't keep it up.

Not sure the requirement exists for the other branches of the service though, probably a matter of pride with them. Very little to be proud of in the RuSSian military.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,526 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

• Registered Users Posts: 20,054 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Hobgoblin11

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

Somebody mentioned Shay Boyes on this thread this morning. I hadn't realised that he was another Russia apologist. Just had a look on his twitter timeline....my god what a mess. It's actually even worse than Wallace & Daly's stuff:

• An absolute obsession with making the Ukrainians out to be Nazis. Just repeatedly posting about it - even this morning after those Russian strikes
    • Two instances today alone of him retweeting posts from a suspended account (so no doubt completely unsubstantiated garbage)
    • A tweet yesterday praising Viktor Orban (bit weird from someone of "the left")
    • Retweeting Kim Dot Com commenting on a Russia Today segment
    • Retweeting right wing grifters like Paul Joseph Watson & Ian Miles Cheong and far left Putin supporters like Aaron Mate & Max Blumenthal

I've never seen a timeline like it - it's so all over the place. He is the embodiment of the horse-shoe theory. He is clearly lost and has no ability to screen disinformation whatsoever. If he was posting in this thread he'd be banned within a few days.

What worries me about this is that he isn't isn't just some random wealthy businessman. He is behind the ontheditch website, which, honestly, has broken some very important stories (especially about An Bord Planala). It's very telling though that they only report dirt on government TDs (make of that what you will). I for one would prefer the owners of media in this country not to be absolute lunatics.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Still missed the main part of the plant. Unless they intended to hit trees and streets... A feckin' WW2 B17 would be more accurate and a Stuka way more.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” — Voltaire

• Registered Users Posts: 18,657 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

I've taken to blocking a few of these Irish based nuts on social media (even though I never interact with any of them or comment on their threads). I just don't want to read their pro-Putin bile.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,083 ✭✭✭coolbeans

That Monsieur lad can't even spell his own username so definitely not French.

They are actually bragging about killing civilians now and targeting civilian infrastructure on purpose,because they know winter is coming.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,152 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

I have long suspected the narrative that normal Russian people have no idea what is actually going on in Ukraine to be absolute bollíx.

If even Russian State TV is broadcasting nothing but civilian areas been bombed in Ukraine, there is absolutely no excuse anymore.

They need to rise up en masse, because at the end of the day, Puttin is stealing their future.

I would not like to live in Russia or under Putin - very happy under the Michael Martin regime. The war is NATO (US) vs. Russia. Russia is a big country and close enough to a superpower. Ukraine broke away from the USSR - fair enough - Putin says they even paid off Ukraine’s national debt at the time…

What is not acceptable is that a relatively small country like Ukraine play footsie with the US and flutter their eyelids at NATON on Russia’s border. Putin has been saying this for years and he has been saying it would end badly if there wasn’t respect for Russia. Ukraine should not have been openly entertaining joining NATO and should have allowed a large degree of autonomy in Donesk and Luhansk (which they had voted a long time before the latest referenda). I could go on, but you get the idea. Buoyed by US support they didn’t do any of this and Russia acted accordingly…

You could argue (I wouldn’t) that in an ideal world Cuba is a sovereign country and should be allowed to stock as many Russian nukes as they want on their shores. Back in the real world you have to have a healthy respect for someone who is much stronger than you so long as they respect certain boundaries. The US would have “illegally invaded” Cuba if they hadn’t respected that principal. And the same is happening to Ukraine today. That’s my view of things anyway.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Whatever the reasons putin went the whole invasion route the NATO thing is a complete red herring. Ukraine had about as much chance of joining NATO in the next ten years as I do. EU membership was on the long finger too. Positive change was happening in Ukraine as far as politics and corruption goes, but it was slow and they still had a problem with the oul facism in certain quarters. It was way down on popularity compared to ten years ago, but was still there. Then again it's still as popular as ever in Russia. It was a corrupt and largely impoverished part of Eastern Europe, a few years ahead of Belarus and looking westward. That latter part is what really riles putin. IMHO the EU and all that brings is a much bigger threat than NATO. It rankles that the old "friends" in the ex Soviet vassals looked and went west and as far away from Russia as they could, but when it's the "brothers and sisters" in Ukraine, that hits much harder. Wait until young Belarus people get going...

If putin was so concerned for Russian separatists in Donbas he might have invented some BS for the UN like America and Iraq and "just" invaded and taken Donbas. Would likely have gotten away with it too, or at least he wouldn't have gotten the massive pushback he has. But no, the oul hubris kicked in and it seems too many told him a) it would be much easier and b) he'd get more support from Ukrainians on the ground. Sadly for putin this turned out to be very very stupid. He made the play for Kyiv and got his arse handed to him in his "feint". His best troops were demolished at the attack on Antobov airport and they were pushed back from Kyiv. This was way before any foreign weapons made it into Ukraine too. Now Ukrainian forces have had training from US forces since 2014 and they learned well, but they were hardly up to the standard of their instructors. Even then they gave Russian forces a bloody nose and kicked out a few teeth with it.

And the result of putin's hubris and stupidity? He increased his direct border with NATO by a thousand kms with Finland and Sweden joining up. He's made the EU pivot away from him and his oil and gas and they're likely not to pivot back for a generation. He's screwed Russia's standing in international leasing, insurance, investment, transport and trade for the foreseeable future. Little old Ireland with 1/30th of Russia's population exports more now. And we're considerably richer as a people too, yet Russia has the most natural resources on the planet? His "friends" in China get cheap oil, but at the same time banned his Boeing/Airbus fleet from their airspace. This crap is affecting business and they're not happy about that. North Korea love him, but with friends like that.... As do Iran, but the brave young women of Iran are sending a lot of uncomfortable messages to their autocrats.

Now if he had any cop on, even at this late stage he could try and "just" keep Donbass, but no, in the usual schoolyard kneejerk Russian way he's escalating into attacks on civillians as a response. How many missiles did he waste on that attack of pique? Again if he had any cop on he'd have used the same missiles on Ukrainain military targets. If he knew where they were...

And that's before the millions of men women and children displaced who will hate Russia and Russians for at least a generation, never mind the tens of thousands of men women and children who are dead or crippled and there are the thousands of Russians dead and crippled too.

That's one hell of a line in the sand JeanFrancois.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

If the reports are true about the trainloads of Russian draftee's being sent to Belarus, then it looks like they are looking to just repeat what they did back in February. Except without as many vehicles, just wave after wave of cannon fodder.

A message needs to be sent to Belarus. Amass Poland and EU nations troops on the Belarus border. Make them think twice, or at least occupy them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,432 ✭✭✭Dubh Geannain

I thought it was the Nazis they were trying to overthrow. But it was Ukraine's intentions to join NAFO that sparked it all. By God my eyes have been opened. It was Ukraine's fault all along.

And the special military operation is NAFO(US) versus Russia too. My respect for Russia has gone up tenfold. They are doing so well really as the plucky underdog in all this.

• Advertisement

NAFO Vs the Vatniks

Worse again than that CHBS; Russia surely knew that the US and NATO would be only to happy for them to bleed themselves out in Ukraine and become a pariah and make the EU move away from them and all it would cost the US/NATO would be military equipment that would as a bonus create jobs back home? And yet they walked right into it. Unreal.

What you're basically saying is Putin shoved a Magnum up his butthole and not only blew his teeth out but blew the barrel of the gun as well. Is this a fair analysis of your post?

Not far off Zv. I'd say it's even worse; A magnum was left out on his desk by interests that were clearly against him and he picked it up.

Putin fired 80 missiles at Ukraine and 50% were shot down. About a dozen people were killed. So, if Putin has 1000 missiles and fires them, 500 will be shot down and about 150 civilians will be killed. Maybe less than 500 buildings damaged. This will do very little by way of defeating Ukraine. Putin is faqued.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,836 ✭✭✭✭briany

@[Deleted User]

What is not acceptable is that a relatively small country like Ukraine play footsie with the US and flutter their eyelids at NATON on Russia’s border. Putin has been saying this for years and he has been saying it would end badly if there wasn’t respect for Russia. Ukraine should not have been openly entertaining joining NATO and should have allowed a large degree of autonomy in Donesk and Luhansk (which they had voted a long time before the latest referenda). I could go on, but you get the idea. Buoyed by US support they didn’t do any of this and Russia acted accordingly…

Why would it be wrong for Ukraine to join NATO? It's not really a red line for Russia to have NATO on its borders because there are already the Baltic states - all in NATO. And now there's Finland joining NATO. More NATO on Russia's border. I don't see Russia doing anything about that one, do you?

Now, let me stop you before the obvious and well-worn retort of, "Well, how would the US like it if Mexico or Canada were to join an alliance with Russia or China or whoever is against the US? Wouldn't they invade?" - No, I don't expect that USA would like it. Would they invade? I certainly couldn't categorically rule the idea out, at the least. However, if they did invade on the simple pretext of being aligned with an enemy country, it wouldn't make them any less wrong for doing so, and committing the kind of targeted atrocities that the Russians have been carrying out, like at Bucha would make it only wronger still.

NATO are never going to attack Russia no matter how much NATO it has on its borders. Why? Because Russia has over 5000 nuclear weapons (that we know of). If Russia gets invaded, the world ends. It's about that simple. It's never ever going to happen.

The real reason that Russia is annoyed about neighbouring countries joining NATO is because it prevents it from having the option of force to exert its will upon those countries. It regards the Slavic states east of Germany and whatever used to be part of the old empire to be its rightful dominion. This feeling is not mutual.

If Russia wishes to rectify its diminishing status in the world, I propose that the solution will not be found through force. The solution is for Russia to get its house in order. It has plenty of land, resources and people of its own. It could be an absolutely fantastic country if it worked on itself. Instead its looking to consolidate the power of a small elite through the use of authoritarianism. They're welcome to themselves. It doesn't mean they have the right to impose their model on any neighbouring country.

It's just basic terrorism. Nothing more nothing less. An irrelevance to the war he started except for maybe decimating their missile arsenal that would be better utilised somewhere else like, I don't know, in the actual war.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

Very telling alright. Not shying away from the fact that they were literally targeting infrastructure with no value beyond terrorising civilians, such as that urban pedestrian bridge.

Also interesting is the MAGA <-> Russian TV feedback loop. That is not a good thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,152 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Apparently the level of sophistication that went into hitting the bridge the other day was epic, they will be making movies about it.

What does the scrunched Botox fúck do in response? Bombs play grounds.

An absolute fraud.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,836 ✭✭✭✭briany

Halloween isn't far off. I know a guy in Dunsink who'll do Putin a deal on these little sweethearts if Russia are running low...

Much harder to hit by AA and they make a hell of a racket.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement