Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Russia - threadbanned users in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭EOQRTL

Poor response from Macron tbh. Any idiot knows that western nations aren't going to risk the nuclear apocalypse for Ukraine no matter what Russia do but to take a nuclear response off the table in public reeks of weakness.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Lets be honest, France are not going to go hands on regardless of the situation in Ukraine

• Registered Users Posts: 13,945 ✭✭✭✭josip

Ignoring the initial chaotic month of the war; when Ukraine loses a city/territory there's a long drawn out battle, eg. Severodonetsk, Lysychansk and now Bakhmut, which it looks like they will eventually have to concede. One would hope that Russia sustains more casualties than Ukraine in those battles although the duration may be as much to do with the artillery-led Russian tactics as anything else.

When Russian loses a city/territory, it's a much more rapid event and I can't see the Ukrainians sustaining the same amount of casualties. Bakhmut will however be a big propaganda win for the Russians and will be spun sufficiently to keep them motivated for the winter. That's assuming they can remain in Kherson and in Kreminna/Svatove.

I am a bit surprised that the Ukrainians haven't been able to keep the Russians out of Bakhmut. The Ukrainian troops are at least as motivated as the Wagnerites. And I thought the HIMARs/M777s would have been able to restrict the effectiveness of Russian artillery. They are so intent on taking Bakhmut and all their artillery has to be within range of that single point, not dispersed along a line of engagement. Is it too optimistic to expect that NATO satellites could identify and locate pretty much any piece of artillery in that area?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,945 ✭✭✭✭josip

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Hobgoblin11

Ukrainian fighter jet crashed near Vinnytsia yesterday evening, pilot has ejected and safe

Dundalk, Co. Louth

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,630 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Posted this earlier. Got screamed down that I was posting Russian propaganda even though it's been officially confirmed.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

You were .

Followed by a link from last March to try back yourself up

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭EOQRTL

Will they send Will Smith to slap the sh1t out of the Russians?

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭Mullinabreena

Shame on the 35 countries sitting on the fence. The 5 who stood with Russia should receive the same sanctions as the Russians face.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Hobgoblin11

god forbid, those types dont last long around here

Dundalk, Co. Louth

Well, 4 - but I get your point. Nicaragua must REALLY hate the US.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,630 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

There has been a definite surge in activity in Bakhmut. Zaitseve fell a few days ago and there are battles on the outskirts of the city itself now.

Liveuamaps has pins for the locations of the battles around the town. I believe they are very accurate as there is footage of Ukrainian forces operating in a quarry that's just outside of the city.

I think this is where the next big battle will be. The city is strategically important and Ukraine can't allow Russian to make further gains.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,054 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

(screenshot)

They do drink detergent.

The Ukrainians said they were using the Bushmasters a lot for urban warfare because the situational awareness was so much better than BMPs and tanks, which crash into trees and other things a lot because the drivers can barely see.

Have you actual evidence this happened other than the same claim made by a pro russian account word for word with the same mistakes

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭SortingYouOut

My side good, uggh. No talk about bad side uggh

Beverly Hills, California

• Registered Users Posts: 9,024 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

• Registered Users Posts: 3,776 ✭✭✭zv2

“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” — Voltaire

• Registered Users Posts: 11,226 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

I'm not sure that's quite the best read of it. It seems most likely that 'the west' would intervene by use of conventional forces if Russian uses a nuclear device in Ukraine. But would then have to be at a very high degree of preparedness, in case Russia then decided to retaliate by launching nuclear missiles at the various states involved. The question at that stage would be: do you wait for them to escalate or get your defence in first and prevent them. Any use of a nuclear device could lead very quickly and inevitably towards wider use and risk the destruction of many Russian cities as well. That must be the core of the present message to the Russian administration.

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭Wes M.

Wishful thinking on my behalf but indulge me: Putin is in Kazakhstan this morning for an Asian business meeting, and I wonder whenever he leaves Russian airspace does the thought cross his mind whether he'll get back in ? Would there be anyone in the Kremlin right now who could harness the anxieity of the elites and use their influence to get control of the army and put an end to Putin's disastrous misadventure ? Having said that, I recently read a piece which suggested that Putin is not the least worst option in the Kremlin right now, that there are more extreme figures in there... which is a chilling thought.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,446 ✭✭✭macraignil

Makes me wonder if putin might be holding off launching a nuclear weapon in case it did something similar and hit russian terrritory rather than anywhere he would have preferred to target. Good to see some more air defense systems reaching Ukraine for the effect on the nuclear situation as well as a nuclear missile from russia being shot down could be another major embarrassment and while not impacting on Ukraine could give valid justification for NATO raising their involvement to stop him launching more.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭Raoul Duke III

Like when Gorbachev got effectively placed under house arrest in his Crimean dacha?

'No' is the simple answer. The power vertical only contains those loyal to Putin. There are no effective leaderships in waiting (even 'the opposition' in the Duma answers to him).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,197 ✭✭✭Thinkingaboutit

Russian created Telegram and other Telegram channels posing as Ukrainian or neural and posting demoralising news about Ukraine and exaggerating Russian advances are well known. Standard demoralisation in the KGB tradition. They often post fakes of official UA Telegram or other social media. Omar Dibo is a pro-Ruzzian propagandist who publishes fakes and various bit of Russian propaganda. It is just simply a fake. One common fake is the claim that the UA C-in-C has a Nazi bracelet, when any good quality copy of the image shows this is a distortion. What is on the bracelet are an array of Slavic pagan symbols. One of them vaguely looks like a Swastika but is no such thing.

I have read there are many ultra-nat Z radicals, for which cutting the Kerch road bridge section was perhaps a sort of a domestically aimed pretext for missile strikes (the logistically relevant railway was not cut just the road which is for Russian civilians and soldiers, a category Putin patently cares little about), it would still be likely that the war would end with Putin. Even a new would be map painter would just want to end the disaster of the 'special operation.' Now those public critics are not that close to power, but as with retired FSB officer Igor Girkin (not Dugin even if he was ranting yesterday out about light and bombing Ukrainians) Putin respects and permits their criticisms of ineffective waging of war, within boundaries, and they have political heft with a portion of the Russian population. Even dictators need to keep a domestic constituency happy and the rest passive (which Putin has managed so far, even with the exodus of young men). I think philosopher Vlad Vexler provides a good analysis.

Post edited by Thinkingaboutit on

• Registered Users Posts: 20,054 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

What Iran gets out of it is food and 'the enemy of my enemy is my friend' as runner up. They imported a huge quantity of grain from Russia last year due to a terrible harvest and given all the sanctions, hard currency may be a bit scarce, so this might be one way to pay for food they need. Food is a pretty big motivator and is what I think Putin is really after in Ukraine.

Those drones are fairly simple and cheap so I'd imagine they can make them quite rapidly, even though they are supposedly hand made and not on a production line.

Forbes have another take on Irans motivations that I don't agree with: https://www.forbes.com/sites/pauliddon/2022/10/13/why-iran-arming-russia-with-drones-is-utterly-cynical/

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭Wes M.

(from The Guardian 12.26 BST)

Putin proposes 'major gas hub' in Turkey at talks with Erdogan

Putin: "What can I do to change your mind...?"

Erdogan: "I'm listening..."

Reminds me the proposed pipeline from iraq , Syria, Turkey and then into Western Europe bypassing the need for the Russians gas and oil , which supposedly prompted putin to support Assad and keep him in power

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭timmyntc

More planes down inside Ukrainian territory - chasing drones again apparently

This on top of the MiG near vinnytsia yesterday - or is it still fake news?

Update:

Russian MoD is now claiming responsibility for the downing, saying that their air defence downed a Ukrainian Su-27 in Poltava region

This is absolute first,

Drone wars , Ukrainian drone vs Russian guess who loses

This is the video which claim's to show the demoralized Ukrainians military forces retreating from Ivangrad either early today or yesterday,I see a combat patrol moving in an area.

No gunfire or heavy artillery fire but according to pro z pages this shows the Ukrainan military collapsing....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭Run Forest Run

In the west, we like to frame votes such as this as if it is a global universal viewpoint. When in fact, the result actually represents less than half of the world's population. But the UN is supposed to be about a global effort towards international peace and co-operation. But rather, it very often serves as a vehicle for mostly the old world legacy powers to do whatever they wish.

Right from the outset of Russia's invasion (and even beforehand), there has been deep discontent with western leadership/strategy towards this conflict from many nations around the world. Even some who voted in favour of this resolution have voiced their concerns about certain aspects of this approach. But you can see the arrogance of western powers in how dismissive they are of these concerns. The percentage of the world's population that didn't back this resolution, doesn't even warrant much of a mention in western media or political discourse. Never mind a deep in depth discussion, which it most certainly deserves.

This is why I wrote that post, because many in the west will be unaware of those stats. It is framed in such a way, to deceive the casual observer in quite a duplicitous manner.

Most of the nations on that list, are not necessarily endorsing Russia's war in Ukraine. Only 5 nations outright rejected the resolution. So it's not correct to say, that just because the other 45 nations failed to back the resolution that they are supporting war. This again, would be a disingenuous statement to make.

Really, it's a stark rejection of western leadership and strategy. The approach of attempting to sanction Russia into oblivion, and create yet another internationally ostracised pariah state to add to the giant pile we already have, is being rejected by quite a considerable group of nations. For a very simple and logical reason, they're smart enough to know that this strategy does not work and will not work. In the long run, it will only make things worse from a global perspective.

And also, many of these nations are unhappy with what they see as western interference having helped to create this situation in the first place.

The fact that most in the west, see no cause for self reflection or introspection from such a vote is quite revealing of our mindset in this part of the world. We really couldn't care less about any nations that don't see the world our way. We don't really value any coherent notion of a "global community"... we merely pay lip service to such ideals. And many nations are wise enough to see through our insincere approach to international relations.

We won't get away with this arrogant approach for very much longer. Many of these nations may not have the legacy power that the old guard have, but they are growing in strength and influence every year. Individually, you may get away with ostracising one or two nations. But collectively, on a large scale, it's a disastrous strategy. And it will blow up in our face in the years to come.

Not to mention, all of these nations are important for the future of our world. The strategy of creating isolated pariah states is incredibly stupid.

Just take Russia as one example, they own roughly 10% of the earth's entire landmass - and possibly the deepest untapped array of natural resources of any nation on earth. Many people used to believe that most of their territory was useless frozen tundra, but not anymore. They thought the same about Alaska back when Russia sold it to the US, calling it "Seward's folly" as useless frozen wasteland. But now it's the most resource rich state in the entire USofA. And ecologically, an area I'm very familiar with, Russia is also massively important for the future of our planet. As just one example, Russia is home to more than one fifth of all the trees on our planet. So attempting to turn 10% of our world's landmass into an isolated pariah state with over 6,000 nuclear warheads, is one of the most monumentally dumb ideas you could ever possibly think up.

So yes, the UN is not fit for purpose. They do not help to protect the interests of the global community, but rather act as a self serving conduit for a relatively small corral of western old world elites. Just like many other outdated international organisations and useless "clubs" that mankind has invented to wield it's power. We need to bin most of them, and start again.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement