Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Russia - threadbanned users in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,908 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

Thanks for the article.

I don't agree about Putin and motivations, the agricultural land or other resources gained for him or his toadies and oligarchs (i.e. "Russia" in his mind presumably) by a successful outcome in Ukraine were just a side benefit I think. It does not really put forward a motivation for Iran to become Putin's weapon supplier apart from spite - this obviously hurts the US, and the regime is (naturally I suppose) obsessed with America.

I would agree there may be more to it than that this, given it seems to have alot of potential negatives for Iran and expect it will come home to roost for them at some point.

Post edited by fly_agaric on

• Registered Users Posts: 16,630 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

It sounds like these are separate incidents. The one you're posting is from Poltava. The one I posted yesterday is from Vinnystia.

It's hardly surprising both sides are losing aircraft. Even to a complete lay person like me, the missions they are doing are very risky.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,657 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

They are pathological liars. It's obvious that everything they said about the 'partial mobilisation' was a lie - numerous men with no military experience were called up and it looks like a good few were sent straight into the war zone.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,657 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

No idea about the veracity, but that is a pro-Putin Twitter account full of Kremlin propaganda.

The Air Force has confirmed the loss of one Ukrainian bomber, Air Force spokesman Yuriy Ignat said in a statement to the Ukrainian Air Force.

After completing a combat mission, he was hit by a missile. The crew decided to return to the base airfield, did not arrive, suffered a crash.

The pilots ejected, but one of them did not survive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

And it's getting repeatedly on here as varifed fact ...

One confirmed Downed today.

The mig 29 came from a well known Russian bot account and reposted on here and claimed to be varifed by the Ukrainans,

No mention from the Ukrainans Minister of defense and no mention from the Ukrainans airforce official varifed accounts

• Registered Users Posts: 3,446 ✭✭✭macraignil

The UN never forced russia to invade its neighbour and kill thousands of civilians including whole families and children and dumping their bodies in mass graves and indescriminately bombing areas where their ground forces have failed to gain control. Framing the recent UN vote as anything other than a condemnation of russias actions is one of the most ridiculous things I have read. You are describing russia as the victim in this sitaution which I think is very sick way of looking at recent history and current events.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,620 ✭✭✭Field east

What about Russia in size comparison and what ‘ adjective/category “ should one use to describe Russia! This post is a bit off the point but still!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭dvega

Good piece

Few quotes below

In addition, the business executives and officials said, even if the strikes succeed in damaging more of Ukraine’s electricity and energy networks with the fighting dragging on into the freezing winter, there are questions over how many missiles Russia has left and how long it can sustain a bombing campaign. The missiles “are being produced. But in single units. And the old reserves are running out,” one state official said.

“No one is happy with the status quo,” the Russian state official said. “It is clear that a military or political victory will not be possible. But a loss is not possible either. This is turning into the situation in chess known as zugzwang, when each step is worse than the next and yet it is impossible not to move.”

The optimism of the summer when, according to a second state official, many in the country’s elite believed “we’ll turn everything around and find a way” has completely evaporated. “People see there is no future,” he said.

But few in Moscow say Putin will resort to deploying a tactical nuclear strike, despite the Kremlin’s statements, the Moscow businessman said, because “then he won’t have any cards left,” while China could block that kind of escalation. “This is a Pandora’s box [the Chinese] don’t want opened,” he said.

Saudi Arabia’s support for oil production cuts this winter seemed to have emboldened the Russian president, said the same Moscow executive, who maintains contacts with political officials. Even if energy prices remain at the same level, Putin “thinks Europe will be in crisis and will have no time for Ukraine.”

“All of business is suffering from what’s happening. Everyone has frozen their investment plans,” he said. The previous belief that Russia could redirect trade flows away from the West through China, Kazakhstan and India is fast melting away, two of the business executives said. Kazakhstan has begun to block cargoes carrying European goods into Russia, while the Chinese were beginning to stop certain supplies, too.

“Everyone is completely frustrated. The mood is very bad,” a third senior Russian businessman said.

Members of Moscow’s elite are beginning to speak about potential leadership change in a way they have never done before in more than 20 years of Putin’s rule — though no one can say how or when this might happen.

“We have begun entering a revolutionary situation,” the first state official said. “Everyone is waiting for something other than what is happening now: a different leadership, a different war. The hawks want tougher action. The doves want no war at all. The time for a change of the political system is ripening. But how it will happen, I don’t know.”

• Registered Users Posts: 2,588 ✭✭✭20silkcut

if you rip up the world and start all over again, in time it will end up the very same again . A tiny elite controlling most of the resources . Maybe a different tiny elite but it will be equally as tiny and equally elite.

The plane downed yesterday is not dis-info, no matter how much scutter you keep writing.

It was posted on a leading Ukraine news channel which only posts in the Ukrainian language and has over 3 million Youtube subscribers.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,781 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

United Nations General Assembly vote on Russia’s illegal annexation. The 5 who sided with Russia were the obvious ones. But I found it hard to find a list of the 35 countries who abstained.

The 35 who abstained were as follows-

• Algeria
    • Armenia
    • Bolivia
    • Burundi
    • Central African Republic
    • China
    • Congo
    • Cuba
    • Eritrea
    • Eswatini
    • Ethiopia
    • Guinea
    • Honduras
    • India
    • Kazakhstan
    • Kyrgyzstan
    • Laos
    • Lesotho
    • Mali
    • Mongolia
    • Mozambique
    • Namibia
    • Pakistan
    • South Africa
    • South Sudan
    • Sri Lanka
    • Sudan
    • Tajikistan
    • Tanzania
    • Thailand
    • Togo
    • Uganda
    • Uzbekistan
    • Vietnam
    • Zimbabwe

There is another list of counties with ‘no vote recorded’

• Azerbaijan
    • Burkina Faso
    • Cameroon
    • Djibouti
    • El Salvador
    • Equatorial Guinea
    • Iran
    • Sao Tome-Principe
    • Turkmenistan
    • Venezuela

India explained their abstention as follows -

‘New Delhi's decision is "consistent" with its "well thought out national position" and the country stands ready to support all efforts aimed at de-escalation while underlining the importance of peaceful solution through dialogue and diplomacy.’

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭cunavalos

I don't think it's quite the 'gotcha' you think it is. Whatever about the sources for each incident and the original date the page was published, the page is updated in real time. The Ukrainian Mig in question is listed on that page as being destroyed on 12th October and lists a different Twitter account as the source

https://twitter.com/Ukraine_AF/status/1580295418482950144?t=Yc0ZWfcz9JnxMDT_0ToGAQ&s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭bad2thebone

It's been suggested now that Russia and Saudi Arabia are getting on better.

If that annoys the West could the west get resentful, will that be a case of the friendship between the west side and east will sour.

Iran and Russia are great friends also, could it possibly be a road map to peace in the middle east and the Shia and the Sunni nations could once and for all settle their differences and sell and buy from each and enrichment of fuel, food and industry in the Eastern hemisphere.

And the West, with their green machine goes cold and dark. Could there be a total flip in the world economy ?

Wind,waves and solar panels aint going to be sufficient enough to power the western hemisphere.

And yet nobody has varifed it ,

Including the link you posted from Last March to back up your claim.... Of happening yesterday,

The another Link suggested two aircraft went down today on one the the 9th of October 4 days ago and no mig 29..

Do you need the assistance of a jcb

• Registered Users Posts: 12,568 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

Maybe he's looking at his future map where Russia taken a good 70% of Europe to bring it down to Indian's size?

How can anyone not see that this is all on Russia and all as a result of their Paranoia and /or deflection from their Kleptocracy? There is zero justification for the Russian invasion. They have sold a story to their people that NATO is trying to surround them and therefore present a narrative that they a trying to protect Russia. The reality is that the only reason Russia's neighbours have requested to join NATO is as protection from the Madman next door. There has been no move by NATO to threaten Rusian territory or interests other that not rolling over and letting the Russian treat their neighbours like serfs.

Is your view that because Russia have resources they should be able to do as they wish? Because that what it sounds like.

Do some heavily populated countries abstaining for self-interest, ones who have little to no regard for thier own people, somehow trump the rights of Ukraine to territorial integrity?

You also state that "western interference having helped to create this situation in the first place". This is pure bullsh*t. Russias behaviour towards their neighbours created this. Pure and simple. "The west" responding to requests for support from those countries under threat from Russia does not equal "create the situation in the first place". People form the Baltics, Poland, Georgia etc understand the reality of having an aggressive Russia as a neighbour. Their desire to not live as subservient to Russia is real and supporting that desire is not "creating this situation". That is all russia's doing. In fact the only way you could possibly say "the west created this situation" is not going harder on Russia earlier. And that authoritarian or quasi-authoritarian governments express ambivalence does not change facts.

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

• Registered Users Posts: 4,908 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

You do write quite a lot (even more than me?) and can put sentences together but it is (mostly) nonsense, which is a pity.

As I said, your arguments about how these countries are important, are free to ignore what the West is doing here, will have their own priorities, don't wish to try and isolate Russia etc. + should not be criticised for this always cut both ways. If Western countries want to unwind their relations with Russia post Feb, "sanction" it as much as they can and also want to support Ukraine, why is this any business of the countries that refuse to condemn Russia or wish to keep some relations with it still? Why should Western countries sit back, do a three wise monkies and carry on normal relations with Russia as if nothing has changed at all in the relationship? Reality here is, Russia has opened hostilities with the "West" since Feb., things are very bad now, and Putin's issued alot of serious threats. These threats began even before the stronger sanctions and supply of much larger amounts of weapons to Ukraine kicked in.

As you know, several of those states that voted no or abstained are not democracies, some like N. Korea, and Iran to a lesser extent, are prison states that people flee from when they can (ironically to the nasty arrogant "West", as was pointed out to you!). The foreign policy of such countries is even more a decision made in isolation by a few leaders than it is here or in other democracies. It certainly isn't what you try and paint it as, some expression of the will of angry masses in developing world to make a point against the arrogant West + in favour of Putin & his great crusade remaking the world order. Also Russia's (or China's or whoever elses') vast land area + resources has no relevance to this argument. Russia's land does not vote, or it is not supposed to.

Talking floridly about this "global community" that should replace the (useless or unrepresentative) UN as you do while also saying Western countries are in some way wrong to try and isolate Russia/Putin for what has happened is a sad joke. There is currently little enough of a "global community" and it is obvious if Putin actually achieved his aims + most of the world stayed out of it and didn't say boo (which you believe is the correct policy), there will be even less of such a community in future. Large invasions & genocides in neighbouring sovereign states would be right "back on the menu boys" once you're big and ugly enough to pull it off. Every man (country/power bloc) for himself + a struggle to the death of all against all. Some community.

edit: sps

Post edited by fly_agaric on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,988 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

Christ, another Infowars diatribe

Putin made the decision to invade Ukraine, no one else. He has no opposition, he is 20 years in power, the Duma rubber-stamps everything he says and like every dictator in history he always scapegoats his actions on others. No need to attempt to repackage his talking points we are all well aware of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,106 ✭✭✭pcardin

A russian soldier from Buryati has installed in his flat a CCTV cam he robbed from a house in Liman, UA but did not cop on to change settings. Camera is streaming live video now from his flat for previous owner to watch it online.

And yet in the same tweet linking the Ukrainans airforce which has no mention of this mig 29 getting shot down on their own varifed page...

Then a link was provided from last March to varify the claim from yesterday.....

It's not a gotcha.

It's comedic at best ...

This is the evidence of the mig 29 getting shot down which was repeated across the network of Kremlin bot accounts .

• Registered Users Posts: 4,412 ✭✭✭Homelander

There's no point in debating with those crackpots. Their only interest is in muddying the waters with streams of disingenuous nonsense, completely in bad faith.

I had to laugh at the sheer audacity of the above - some of the poorest, most corrupt, and human right violating states in the world are the only ones smart enough to see the truth about this conflict.

Just ignore them. Don't respond, don't engage, don't even bother reading their posts. They are absolutely not interested in logic, reality or reason, their only interest, again, is in continuously trying to muddy perfectly clear waters with utter crap wrapped up to sound pseudo intelligent.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,106 ✭✭✭pcardin

Coulda Shoulda Woulda?

I could, but you and your misserable fascist country will be long gone from existance on this planet before that happens. Now, send me 15 rubles as I made a reply post to you. 🤑

• Registered Users Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

Oryx is well respected and (as far as I can tell) independent. Everyone seems to defer to him. If he's counting it then that's good enough for me.

This is going to be a long war. I strongly believe that Ukraine will win it. However that doesn't mean that every piece of news is going to be good news for them. There are going to be lost troops, lost equipment and maybe even lost battles. Although I would rather that they do not occur I, for one, would like to be informed of when they happen. Unless they're an obvious troll, I don't see the benefit of hounding anybody who dares to post any bad news for Ukraine.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,959 ✭✭✭circadian

Iran has it's own thing to deal with right now and by the looks of it there's a revolution under way. If that is successful then there's little to no chance of them backing the Russians. Lebanon and Israel reaching agreements on their oil/gas fields is a good sign and if Iran does change regime and becomes a more neutral player that will further stabilise the region but I doubt they'd want to take on the burden that is Russia in it's current state. Saudi Arabia are running the risk of becoming a pariah state, their oil is the only thing giving them any relevance on the international stage.

As for the green machine. Plenty of western nations are capable of producing gas/oil/coal/nuclear power. It may take time to make up for the shortfall but with advances in storage technology the move away from fossil fuels will accelerate, it's inevitable.

Russia's failures have shone the spotlight on many authoritarian states and most of them are starting to look a little shaky. China is clearly trying to increase influence globally but that is more of a soft power effort (police stations in other nations, economic polices etc) they have no desire for an armed conflict.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭timmyntc

The link has an initial publish date of March, it has been updated continuously since then.

If you had checked any of the sources used by oryx there you would see they date from as recently as a few days ago

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭EOQRTL

There's plenty of stuff out there showing Ukrainian losses on the battlefield. I do find it bizarre that if anyone posts anything to that effect even with evidence they are considered a putinbot, paid Russian troll etc... by the clique here. Hiding heads in the sand and pretending this is a cake walk for Ukraine is fooling nobody. If it was a cakewalk Russia would be back to pre February borders months ago.

• Advertisement

I questioned one poster,on one claim who then Linked oryx post Last March to back up a claim from something that supposedly happened yesterday,and it's not the first time either.

Nobody is saying they haven't lost or aren't losing men and equipment.

But when the claim comes from an account previously pointed out as a Kremlin bot account that's linked to previously and denied it was a Russian bot account in the first place..

People were demanding no Twitter or telegram be posted because of fake news but yet it something is honestly questioned it's a problem

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement