Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Russia - threadbanned users in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭xxxxxxl

Shame if the protesting women decided to attack these places that produce the arms for russia.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭Curious_Case

One never knows, Iran's regime could be toppled a lot easier than Russia's, and in doing so aid the process of toppling Spewtin.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭xxxxxxl

Would be a huge ego blow to the old masculinity too. Pesky woman wanting rights and all that. I have always thought in a ME setting it's only strong women that can change it. They teach the sons once they stop the old wizard stuff they can bring in huge systemic change.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,053 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Showing great discernment there.

• Advertisement

About Ukraine need to be de-Nazified...

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Diamondcut

this is the kind of people that are Ukrainian....looking out for others and planning ahead

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Diamondcut

Gatling sorry was just emphasising your point not going against it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭Field east

I find it unbelievable that the 30+ Ru staff are still at the embassy. The Eu - which includes ireland by the way,- the US , UK, Australia , etc, etc, will be treating Russia from now on into the foreseeable future with the IRON CURTAIN in place. This means , as I understand, that there will be little or no contact re economic trade , cultural exchanges, sporting engagements, location for international events, etc, etc,etc

. I would suggest that now that the broad international community will operate the IRON curtain in a more comphrensive way than before because we now know what Russia is really like and what it is really about. We were slow in copping on but Russias intentions are very clear now and what it will do to achieve same

i prematurely passed the send button in my last post - so to continue

so if Ireland will have little or no reason to have a ‘deep’ relationship across all sectors with Russia then what is the point of havin all those Ru staff at Orwell road. Now that trade with Ru will be at a minimum if not zero the Ru ambassador should be called in to explain what they all will be doing.

as I suggested before , I suggest that the same goes for many other countries. So what about the idea of continuing having a diplomatic relationship with Ru but through an ‘International ‘ embassy that could represent any country that wants to be part of it. This readjusting of how international diplomatic relationships work would send another clear message to Ru that what it’s doing is TOTALLY unacceptable. Of course Putin will come back and say that this suggestion will hurt the West much more that it would hurt Ru . - like he said with the sanctions

one of the outcomes of the above suggestion is that the Ru embassy in Ireland would be closed down and would be represented by the new ‘international’ arrangement - so a much reduced capacity to spy, disrupt, etc, etc

putin cannot say that we are cutting off diplomatic relations With Ru as we are just reorganising how we ‘do business with a country that we will have little or no business with .

• Advertisement

Re investing in the Irish army - be it capital to upgrade equipment, salaries to make the army more attractive or whatever , IMO we are going in the totally wrong direction. Given the capabilities of a load of countries - including Russia and China we can be blown out of the water in minutes no matter how well armed we are with conventional weapons as we are a very small economy and our budget in the greater scheme of things is very small

IMO what we should be doing is strengthing that section of the army that gathers intelligence, carries out reconnances, etc,to assist other friendly countries that are doing the same so that unfriendly nations can be tracked as to what they are up to.

for example, Ru going forward will stop at nothing to do as much damage to any country it wants to interfere with when the opportunity arises be it cutting communication and other cables, poison water sources, blow up supply pipes,, take out satellites, hack into ICT systems, online theft scams, etc, etc.

future threats to Irelands soverign security will not come from a few Ru bombers flying over it or a few boatload of Ru soldiers arriving at some remote jetty to catch us by surprise. NO the threat will come from the above range of possibilities so we should invest in those areas that will help to counteract same. We cannot do this by ourselves so we should compliment what outer countries with bigger budgets are doing

• Registered Users Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

Putin: I never threatened nukes!

Also Putin: I never didn't threaten nukes!

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭dennis72

I don't like what the ambassador said about out helping Ukraine out of line

I think they should be all sent packing immediately they are a security risk I am sure they are gathering Intel of our agencies probably watching Baldonneled and other army centres.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,154 ✭✭✭opinionated3

Looks like China is about to ramp up support for the Russian regime.

Ww3 incoming.. ....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,172 ✭✭✭vixdname

Sounds like it was 2 Iranians killed.....Better again.

The head of the regional intelligence of the Iranian Revolutionary Guard Corps (IRGC), Colonel Molashakhi, as well as the general of the Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps (Basij), Javad Kikha, were shot dead in a car in the city of Zahedan. According to media reports, they were likely responsible for the supply of Shahed-136 kamikaze drones to Russia for its war against Ukraine.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,213 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

The army has other functions: to defend against any internal threats (they haven't gone away), deal with civil emergencies etc. A navy and air force is maybe wise investment too, to monitor and patrol our waters effectively. Ultimately we are small, small fish and if some large foreign state wants to hack us, little to be done about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,024 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

Would you not post a link to back up a comment like that, so we can discuss it?

I mean, is there an statement from China on the matter? Or article you read that has an analysis of recent events that comes to this conclusion? Or did you just see a Chinese lad buying a bottle of vodka in the supermarket?

I know you're opinionated3, but it can't all be just about what you randomly think.

Its on sky news. Lavrov had talks and basically their foreign minister Wang yi stated afterwards that China firmly supported Russia. And warned the West not to block China and Russia in their efforts to succeed.

Don't worry, I won't put statements on here that I haven't read up on a credible source. (Unlike some Putin fanboys here)

So we have to ask you where you got the information, then go off to the website and find it ourselves? It's the internet! Post a link! Is it that hard?

Edit: here, I found it: https://news.sky.com/story/ukraine-latest-news-putin-to-make-address-after-nuclear-exercise-as-russia-threatens-wests-satellites-12541713?postid=4753220#liveblog-body

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭EOQRTL

Very interesting development. The Chinese have thus far hedged their bets but with Xi installed as a lifelong dictator now it looks like they are making their move.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭EOQRTL

So we aren't allowed to just watch the news or listen to the radio and give information now? Is that is the site charter?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭weisses

If you claim something.. It is nice for the discussion to have a source ready..

Its common sense but you probably knew that ....... or maybe not

Do you not think that engaging debate is best served by providing at least some sort of context to an opinion or statement?

Don't worry about it, it's my fault. I'm admittedly not the most tech savvy but I should have tried to link the article. No harm meant.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,138 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

If you actually read the read out, Ukraine isn't mentioned until the very end and quite scantly.

The two sides also exchanged views on Ukraine and international and regional issues of common concern

I wouldn't call that a glowing reference for full tilt support for the war.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,485 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

You are a man on edge when it comes to certain sources yet you approve of providing unsourced material.

An easy solution would be for the poster to say “I just saw on Sky News…”. They would then give people a direction to look at for further information. We aren’t charged per word here so providing links etc is no big deal.

And it is a very interesting development. Which is why I was keen to see the source of it. Here's the official Chinese statement (in Chinese, they haven't posted it in English)

https://www.mfa.gov.cn/web/wjbz_673089/xghd_673097/202210/t20221027_10793138.shtml

This bit is certainly strong:

The Chinese side will also firmly support the Russian side, under the leadership of President Putin, to unite and lead the Russian people to overcome difficulties, eliminate disturbances, realize the strategic goals of development, and further establish Russia's status as a major power on the international stage.

But as mentioned by Boggles above, the mention of Ukraine was extremely minimal.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Possibly, though I suspect it's more surface talk and a way to telescope Chinese ambitions in Taiwan. China is heavliy invested in the "West" and vice versa. Russia by comparison is of tiny market value to either. Its only real leverage is oil/gas and to use them against the US and China knows it. China is not kneejerk in response. It's not Russia. For all their "support" when international air authorities banned the Russian seized airbus/boeing fleet, China banned them too.

China is also fully aware that for all Russia's talk of "friendship", that talk is both recent and cheap, with a side order of Russian panic, which China will be only too willing to exploit. They already have been getting Russia to sell them oil at under market value. Look at a map of Russian pipelines and see where Russia had hedged her bets before all this. Feck all were going to China. Or India. If putin had been the chess master his supporters like to think he'd had built far more pipelines going to China as well as Europe.

My take is always follow the money. That's what matters and what decides actual decisions. Most everything else is politics to suit whatever narrative is in play today. I'd even say that this kinda move from China is less about things like Taiwan, but more about the US economic sanctions against China. They're costing them and they want them lifted. If pretending to lean more towards Russia helps lift or reduce them then so be it.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

True, but I just felt it was more defined then in recent times, where it was perceived that the Chinese were running with the hare and the hound. I mean they are now categorically fully supporting a regime guilty of multiple war crimes....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,172 ✭✭✭vixdname

It makes no odds if China started backing Russia militarily because if it comes to a nuclear exchange between NATO \ US & Russia, theres enough nuke to wipe us all out anyway, a few extra from China cant make the planet more dead

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement