Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Russia - threadbanned users in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭Curious_Case

Dem dere are words.

In reality, each Russian troop will probably be given an extra slice of bread and a glove.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,520 ✭✭✭jmreire

Bombing the black sea fleet or not, Putin will still try to destroy as much of Ukraine's infrastructure as he possibly can. This viewpoint that if Putin suffers losses or defeats, it will cause him to lash out in revenge is pure rubbish. If he is never attacked, it's still his main plan to attack and destroy as much of Ukraine as he can. So Ukraine, hit him with everything you have...again and again and again. Slave Ukraine.

Israel have some scope to flirt with the likes of Putin, but Israel itself survives at the grace of the US. Netanyahu being on good terms with Putin was fine while Russia weren't squaring up to the US in a proxy war. Netanyahu knows the score.

• Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭grumpyperson

Choice in April was say no to NATO ( Russia's enemy). Choice now, ceasefire and try and regain some of four oblasts through ceasefire negotiations. That's what it looks like to me.

Fwiw, at a very financially tough point in my life I said no to a financially lucrative private sector military related job. I didn't want to be involved in killing people although there was no personal risk.

Look at N Ireland. We lost six counties because the people wanted to stay part of UK. There were Ukranian soldiers arrested and prosecuted for war crimes after 2014 (tornado) so it not just Russia that has committed atrocities (ira/loyalists). They might try removing their ban on Russian and giving equal rights as per Minsk treaty. I know it's horrible but their goal to regain their lands is not working and could actually lead to planetary destruction, especially if Putin is ousted and Russia becomes worse.

Ask yourself what would UK have done if we wrote into our Constitution intent to join an anti UK alliance led by Russia and armed ourselves with Russian provided weapons and then were part of a huge escalation of ceasefire violations, where we were bombing Northern Ireland? I'm not saying Ukraine were wrong just asking what UK would have done in the 1970s if we did the above (similar timeframe)?

Diplomacy not stupidity badly needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭paul71

Precisely. Russia have nothing that Israel needs, and Israel is 100% reliant on the US in either Democratic or Republican control. He knows where his countries bread is buttered and it is not buttered by a despot in Moscow supporting a despot in Iran.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,137 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

They were right to say no.

Any deal then would have been a mere truce and ceasefire to allow Russia to regroup, rearm and attack again.

On the one hand you said the world needs Russia, on the other hand it is Russia who threaten planetary destruction with nuclear weapons, not Ukraine. It was Ukraine who gave up nuclear weapons under Budapest - how did that work out?

The only security for Ukraine is in NATO. Ukraine already had 'security guarantees' under Budapest, and Russia repeatedly violated it.

You can't keep your story straight when it is built on falsehoods and propaganda.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

Russia have more territory than when the invasion started.

I'm not pro Russia but what you're saying makes no sense. They have more territory than when the invasion started. They've also been killing lots of Ukraine's army. It's an awful slaughter of human beings.

On the flip side, if Ukraine manager to win the four oblasts and continue after Crimea, there could be a nuclear war.

We never had those 6 counties, all 32 counties were on the uk and we were given 26 counties which we accepted

• Registered Users Posts: 3,446 ✭✭✭macraignil

I recon you may be stuck for time replying to other posters because what you have been posting is as I suggested complete horses**t.

Are you asking the OSCE to read your post and provide the evidence for your claims to justify the invasion of Ukraine that I asked you for?

Taking an opinion piece from a military magazine as evidence of russia using restraint in Ukraine does not really stand up to the months of evidence of huge levels of indiscriminate violence by the russian forces in Ukraine. They have systematically used their military to attack civilians and civilian infrastructure so your claim that this is some form of restraint is rediculus.

Gotta say that's pretty offensive. The us government funded Rand corporation describes how to destabilise Russia through Ukraine. Turkey seems to be the only NATO country that doesn't want to destroy Russia.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,053 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

🔥 About 100 Ukrainian servicemen graduate from NASAMS air defense system in Germany - The New York Times

That's good. I hope this means that the system requires fewer than the 90 personnel a Patriot battery needs, as they are getting 8 systems.

The UK Sky Sabre requires a crew of 100, which is just bonkers. The French seem to have a firm grasp of this crewing problem as they claim their SAMP-T medium range system only requires 14 people to deploy and operate. Fortunataely Ukraine are getting some of those and the Crotale (rattlesnake) short range system from France.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,972 ✭✭✭Soups123

Your not pro Russian…. Ha ha would you stop. Do you think the posters here can’t tell the difference between some faking a call for peace and laying all the blame on Ukraine, US, NATO, Mickey fcukin mouse.

Drop act nobody here buys it

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

The Government of Ireland Act 1914 

The Declaration of independance 1918

And Articles 2 & 3 of the constitution all said otherwise

Were were never "given" anything

have you put any thought into what you are shouting? This has been discussed ad infinitum and is a major 'peacenik' talking point.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,520 ✭✭✭jmreire

" What about, what about" Bottom line, if Russia had behaved like a normal state since the breakup of the USSR, instead of the mafia entity it became, with Don Putin in charge, none of this would have happened. Ukraine had every right to apply for NATO membership. But I believe that the Russian NATO objection was only a smokescreen for Putin to take Ukraine. What he really wanted was the mineral, gas, oil and agricultural wealth that Ukraine has. And that was his main objective, but he miscalculated and failed, and now he is in a tight corner. Slava Ukraine.

The Russian's called for Ukraine to comply with the Minsk treaty many times. It's very fraught. In my estimation things have got much worse for ordinary Ukranian's since April. The slaughter is horrific. The NATO security approach does not appear to be working well and would likely be blocked by turkey anyway. Also a lot to do in terms of corruption in Ukraine in order to be considered.

I think my opinion is pretty straightforward and consistent. Summed up as ,

Stop the war and use diplomacy.

Russia is very dangerous.

USA is very dangerous.

As of the 8th Oct, Ukraine had retaken another 2,500 sq km of their territory in a month.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,669 ✭✭✭storker

Russia have more territory than when the invasion started.

Using the same logic, in 1944 the Germans still held Minsk (before losing it to Operation Bagration in the summer), which meant that they weren't losing on the Russian front because they still had more territory than when they started. Truly risible stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭weisses

Russia and only Russia itself is the reason for the predicement they are in .... Destabilization was inevtable .... Turkey is still partly on Russia's side because it can make a bit of money from them ... The moment Russia becomes useless to Turkey thet will drop them like a hot turd into the bosporus.

Correct, Russia has annexed more territory than it had pre 24th of February. Look at your history books, it's littered with countries making advances... Take your fellow travellers, Nazi Germany... they took territory right up to the outskirts of Moscow... do you accept they were losing the war long before they actually surrendered. But, there are literally scores of examples of such folly and wars being lost subsequently... I also give you Napoleon... the irony here is that it's Ukraine that Russia is bleeding itself out from... Putin supporters are well able to type, but basic logic is lost on ye.

And go away with yourself with Nuclear war. Russia is being defeated... EVERYBODY knows this, including you... nobody is afraid of Russian nukes. The only ones that should be afraid is if you're living close by to the Russian launch sites. High chance of the rocket falling back to earth shortly after take off or being irradiated by NATO missiles. Your faux bravado fools nobody.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,137 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

And Ukraine called for Russia to comply with the Minsk treaty many times. How could Ukraine comply with Minsk when Russian backed separatists still in control of Ukranian territory?

And there would be no need for Minsk, no need for war, if Russia abided by its commitments under the Budapest agreement - instead of violating it multiple times. The situation is only fraught because of Russia's breaches of treaties.

Ukraine are fighting today so they don't have to continue fight into the next generation. For a proper peace, not a temporary armistice - and a future free of Russian domination.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,556 ✭✭✭wassie

Ukraine are fighting today so they don't have to continue fight into the next generation. For a proper peace, not a temporary armistice - and a future free of Russian domination.

I heard a Ukrainian spokesperson here in Ireland a while back on talk back radio.

She said the way Ukranians feel is that the current generation is prepared to sacrifice itself so that the next generation will be free from Russian terror.

Summed it up very succinctly.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,060 ✭✭✭joseywhales

Ukraine are going to have an elite military by the end of this. Their special operations and use of UAVs and improvisation of tech is laudable, they are a brainy bunch.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,054 ✭✭✭timmyntc

The point being made is that there certainly was "retaliation" after the black sea fleet bombing. Even though Putin has resumed the grain deal again, there certainly was a response to the bombing, the OP claimed otherwise.

Slave Ukraine.

Freudian slip? Oh dear

• Registered Users Posts: 7,054 ✭✭✭timmyntc

That all depends on how many of them a) get combat experience, and b) dont get killed or badly wounded in combat

• Registered Users Posts: 4,060 ✭✭✭joseywhales

True. I would argue they have no choice though. When someone threatens your right to exist, you can only fight to the death. Live free or die as they say.

Putin is the one with the choice but he continues to choose war.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,412 ✭✭✭Homelander

The fact Russia holds more territory than is had at the start of war means absolutely nothing.

Germany held vastly more territory than it started with at the surrender in 1918.

Nazi Germany still held vastly more territory than it started with even in January 1945, even though they were losing the war in an obvious way for 18 months prior to that.

There's absolutely no way to dress this up as Russia "winning". They were fought to standstill by an army a fraction the size of theirs that they were supposed to roll over in days - and are now losing ground and most of their best equipment.

That's putting aside the pressure on their economy, international isolation, and general humiliation at the lie of the mighty Russian army being exposed on the world-stage for everyone to see.

That's rich - 1994 Budapest Memorandum of Security Assurances:

“respect the independence and sovereignty and the existing borders of Ukraine.”

“refrain from the threat or use of force against the territorial integrity or political independence of Ukraine.”

• Registered Users Posts: 7,219 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

Yes but even the right wing nutters on zerohedge are questioning the odds of Ukranian victory

Clearly you haven't been paying attention. Zero Hedge, like much of the right-wing libertarian accounts online and in the USA have been pushing out pro-Kremlin talking points since the get go. This is not a sudden departure for them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Down to about 17.% occupied territory now and falling,

Despite multiple claim's on here nobody is moving an inch because Ukrainians and russians are dug in until after winter

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement