Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Russia - threadbanned users in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,054 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

I wouldn't trivialise almost 80,000 dead on just the Orc's side as a war just between assets. You probably should have look at some telegram channels if you think soldiers on the ground aren't fighting each other. The Ukrainians are being very intelligent and using every tool possible to avoid man on man when they can, but there is an unavoidable amount of close skirmishing going on, such as when they assaulted a Wagner base in close-order fighting and eliminated over 200 of them.

Ukraine are well aware of the need for air defences, it's been the absolute number one priority for some time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,561 ✭✭✭wassie

So Sergey made a 'couragous' decision.

I would agree.

Drinking tea, open windows and shaking hands now represent a clear and present danger for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,226 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

It is still just propaganda though, designed as much for international as domestic audiences. We can be quite sure the AFU deal with what they see on the ground and not the Russian TV screens.

On a related matter and for the intelligence types here, one of the consequences of the autumn/ winter season I presume is that there is less information from remote sensing and the 'eye in the sky'. What typically are weather patterns there in terms of precipitation and cloud cover this time of year? Satellite imagery was evidently in use during the summer to help track Russian military movements, but that will be less predictable now. I guess other technologies will be less affected.

'...the stinger pointed at the heart of our country' No mate, not the heart of your country, unfortunately, just your gobsmacking ego and unjustified pride.

'... which consists not only of Ukrainian Nazism, but also a large number of Nato instructors and mercenaries' The instructors aren't fighting and the mercenaries aren't from current NATO forces, unlike your little green men you planted and used to start this mess in the first place. You have misused the term Nazi so much and so erroneously it's been badly devalued and the side to which the accusation most appropriately fits is your own. Over 50'000 war crimes committed by your lot, and counting, you sack of...

'and other countries supporting Nato's attack on us' Only one doing any attacking are you and yours, everyone else you mentioned is defending.

I must say, while I thought the Orcs would pull out and retreat, I didn't expect it this soon. I hope the Ukrainians are ever wary this whole thing might be a tarp. It seems to me to be very theatrical and staged and a bit whiffy of dead sea life.

Post edited by cnocbui on

We are past the point where weather or cloud cover are a serious impediment to imaging of military conflicts and such. Synthetic Aperture Radar SAR satellites can image through cloud cover in very high detail - day or night. This is a commercial SAR image:

Commercial systems like Iceeye have less than 1m resolution:

Those are train cars in Oklahoma. The US National Reconnaissance Office (NRO) would have far higher resolution assets available to it than that.

Post edited by cnocbui on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Hobgoblin11

Explosions and fire in Petrivsky district of Donetsk

Dundalk, Co. Louth

This is some very bad news:

Wall Street Journal: US refuses to provide Ukraine with advanced drones

November 10, 2022 5:09 amby The Kyiv Independent news desk

The Biden administration will not provide Ukraine with Gray Eagle MQ-1C drones over concerns the drones could escalate the war by providing Ukraine with weapons that could hit targets in Russia, the Wall Street Journal reported, citing unnamed U.S. officials and other people familiar with the matter.

A week ago It looked like they had agreed to supply the RQ-9 Reaper drones, given this is less capable, it almost certainly means those have been scuppered as well.

So much for those sound bites about supplying Ukraine with the weapons it needs. This whole awful war is largely the US's fault in the first place, the very least they should do morally is supply some better stuff to reduce the further loss of life after the terrible losses suffered to date.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,571 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

This whole awful war is largely the US's fault in the first place

Ehh, what?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,402 ✭✭✭nigeldaniel

The guy in the purple tie was doing more gulping than Homer Simpson!

Dan.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭timmyntc

This whole awful war is largely the US's fault in the first place

I thought it was Russia's fault seeing as they invaded?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,776 ✭✭✭zv2

This war is becoming more and more pointless by the hour.

“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” — Voltaire

Dundalk, Co. Louth

• Registered Users Posts: 1,402 ✭✭✭nigeldaniel

I half expect the CIA are very nervous about some of its high tec US hardware finding its way to China V Iran or Russia. China is on the CIA's mind more so than Russia. Russia is beaten and done for. We can't expect the US to empty out its top-drawer gear just like that. Things are working for Ukraine right now and that is the important part. Incidentally, China is likely thinking the same thing which is that they are not really helping Russia with high-end weapons. What Iran and North Korea have is basically copies of Russian stuff.

Dan.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭Pa ElGrande

Morale requires that the next Russian move has to be big push with strategic significance. Where will that be? They have been degrading Ukraine's infrastructure (water & electricity). They are building camps in the Brest area of western Belarus, likely with a view to disrupt the flow of materials from Poland over the course of the next few months. Whats the climate like around the Black sea during the Winter?

Little public movement on the diplomatic front.

Zelenskyy outlined five conditions for negotiations on Monday, including ones he’s said before, like the restoration of Ukraine’s territorial integrity, the punishment of war crimes and reparations. What he didn’t say, unlike in past announcements, was that Putin must be out of power before such conversations can take place. source

American and European leaders see their goal for now as keeping a protracted war contained to Ukraine and deterring Mr. Putin from using a tactical nuclear warhead or other weapon of mass destruction. Officials debate whether Mr. Putin is bluffing when he hints at using nuclear arms, but some analysts believe that control of Crimea, home to Russia’s Black Sea Fleet, could be a red line for the Russian leader. source

Net Zero means we are paying for the destruction of our economy and society in pursuit of an unachievable and pointless policy.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,764 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

US General estimates 100,000 dead or injured on both sides, 40,00 dead civilians. F'in hell

• Registered Users Posts: 2,154 ✭✭✭opinionated3

There was never, ever a point to this war in the first place. Just some made up rhetoric about Nazis in Ukraine. It was an attempted land grab that has since gone pear shaped to say the least.

And the Ukrainian civilians have suffered the most. I don't care for the Russian losses, that's their own fault.

In which case, they could be pushing the bounds with Poland. As for Belarus, they may as well give up pretence at this stage and rejoin Russia. And if their citizenry don't agree with this, they should rise up and overthrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,669 ✭✭✭storker

The business end of Sovolyov's crack pipe must be red hot from all the puffing he's been doing. The way he harkens back to Russia's empire...he still thinks its right and proper for Russia to have an empire at the expense of its neighbours, and so it seems does the rest of Russia. He seems blissfully unaware that miitary imperialism is no longer acceptable in the civilised world and doesn't even consider that maybe Russia should spend a couple of decades getting its own house in order before fretting about how other countries do things. Russia's sense of exceptionalism and talent for self delusion and self-destruction effectively makes them the Brits of eastern Europe. It's as if Jim Royle was demanding to run the houses of his gainfuly-employed neighbours because he had a right to and had a better system to give them.

When the Soviet Union collapsed, Ukraine had on its territory the world's third largest nuclear arsenal. It was bigger than Britain, France and China combined. And the Ukrainians were prepared to eliminate that arsenal to transfer the warheads to Russia for their dismantlement, but the Ukrainians asked for certain things. And one was security assurances that the United States and Russia would pay attention and respect Ukraine's independence, sovereignty, territorial integrity, that there would be no use of force or threat of force against Ukraine.And the 1994 Budapest Memorandum of Security Assurances was the document that reflects those commitments by the United States. And Russia also joined by Great Britain to extend to Ukraine those assurances, including respect for its territorial integrity...

but there was certainly at the time a clear understanding in Washington that the United States would react.

https://www.npr.org/2014/03/09/288298641/the-role-of-1994-nuclear-agreement-in-ukraines-current-state

Now I know it's very popular amongst those who place great store in 'diplomacy' - which I don't - and those of that mindset seemingly love to argue about how many angels you can get on the head of a pin, and try to argue that an assurance of integrity against agression actually means no one would lift a finger in a practical sense, and that Ukraine knew this, but I doubt that is what Ukraine really thought or 'knew'.

Ukraine was tricked into giving up it's nuclear arsenal and the US was very much a party to that due to their obsession for non-proliferation. had Ukraine retained just 5 warheads and the means to deliver them, Russia would never have invaded. Had Biden put US troops on the ground in Ukraine prior to the invasion for 'exercises', Russia would not have invaded.

The US, as usual, has a lot of blood on it's hands. And they are being just as mealy mouthed with words and deeds now as they were in 1994.

• Advertisement

You're talking out of your hole

Which country invaded which? Russia invaded Ukraine. It is not the US's fault.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,657 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

We've had to listen to those ****s and their numerous groupies on social media going on about "eight years of genocide in the Donbas". Official estimates are that about 3000 civilians were killed in Donbas in that eight year period, most of them caught up in crossfire and not deliberately targeted.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Yep. The Russian supporters witter on about the dollar and "American hegemony" and the want for a "multipolar" world. The reason this all lives rent free in their head is because there's already a multipolar world(the top 3 being US, EU, China) but they're quite simply not a part of it any more. The Soviet Union was, the ying to the "West's" yang, an actual superpower with rockets and nukes and Caspian sea monsters and her own internal economy, but when that went kaput... Russia is now effectively a fuel station and that's about it.

Even their much talked about BRICS has them way down the pecking order. China and India's economies are way bigger and Brazil's not far off, if not already bigger? They're even playing second fiddle in that setup. This silly war of theirs has further blown away any vestiges of superpower they had. When you have to go to Iran and North Korea for weapons... They've shot themselves in the feet with both barrels and they keep reloading.

Now one can argue the pros and cons of the dollar being the main primary reserve currency of the world, but it is what it is and the rouble is almost entirely an internal currency kept bouyant by various factors including deft accountancy(their financial minister lass that wanted to resign but couldn't has played a blinder there to be fair) that nobody but Russians actually want.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭victor8600

No, you are. Read the full post, don't just blindly react to something you do not comprehend, Mr. USA fanboi.

The fault for the current war lies squarely on Russian shoulders and Russia must be severely punished for it. However, Ukraine has given up nucs in exchange for security guarantees. Where was the US in 2014 when chunks of Ukraine were taken over by Russia? Besides the cost of limited sanctions, Russia was able to get away with it, which led to the current war.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Would suggest to me that the Biden administration is losing interest in keeping thie show on the road and want it all squared away via peace talks

I'd suggest you direct your enquiries to the Horde embassy, I believe they have their contact details and IBAN numbers on file.

Ukrainian military liberated Snihurivka of Mykolaiv region

yellow pack ribbons are having their cake and eating it too

Dundalk, Co. Louth

Mr USA fanboi?

My initial reply was to a statement that the war was "largely the US's fault". It isn't largely the US's fault. It is largely Russia's fault. Russia invaded using false pretences.

Maybe you should take some of your own advice and read the full posts.

I was taking for granted that the Horde are mostly to blame, in the sense that it's in their nature to be scum.

Let's say you have a neighbour who is a known scum bag, whom the police know well is armed to the teeth, having a home full of weapons, and a history of attacking other neighbours regularly.

These delightfully civilised and well meaning police people, catch wind that you have a licensed shot gun in your home that you legitiamately own, but they come to your house and convince you to give them your shotgun, for no other reason than they don't like anyone having weapons, other than themselves and your neighbour of course, whom they are too scared of to do anything about. They give you assurances that your family's safety is assured in their hands and so you stupidly believe them and hand over your shotgun.

A week later your neighbour comes over and say's he's heard you might be thinking of joining neighbourhood watch, and that he doesn't like it and that's it up to him what you do and don't do, and he then renders you unconscious, barges into your house and rapes and murders your children and your wife.

Now yes, we all get that he's to blame, that goes with out saying, which is why I didn't say it, but the police are also very much responsible for what happened because they disarmed you and failed to protect you as promised.

Now you are perfectly entitled to think the police/US are completely blameless, but I don't, so we'll just have to have different opinions about it.

• Advertisement

Fair enough. There was nuance in your post that wasn't entirely clear. We're largely in agreement.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement