Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Russia - threadbanned users in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,431 ✭✭✭Dubh Geannain

Great pic of women in Bucha hand making winter camo and a general update on the recent changes on the Donbas frontline.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,520 ✭✭✭jmreire

What you say is very true. It's what happens when a gangster takes over a Country, and sucks the very life blood out if it, which is what Putin has done. One of the reasons that Putin is kidnapping thousands of Ukrainian Children is to prop up Russia's falling birthrate, which has worsened since he came to power. So, you have an increasing death rate, (massively helped by alcohol consumption) coupled with a falling birth rate (helped by very high abortion rate, for every 1'000 births, there are 500 Abortions.) In their own way, these are all symptoms of a population railing against a Country ruled by criminals. And now, with an estimated 700'000 Russians having left to avoid conscription, plus the 300'000 newly minted conscripts thrown into the front lines, thats presently another 1000'000 out of circulation in the Russian population, and for most, maybe permanently. (Not counting the current figure of 85'000 dead)

Yes but if I understand it correctly, Stradaz was not speaking about the war effects as such, he was talking about Russian Society itself, even long before the war. What will come after the war if Putin is still in power will make matters 1'000 times worse for Russian society.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

The twitter video in the article includes an impressive drone recording of a failed assault of Russian troops on a dug-in set of Ukrainian soldiers. The Russians imho did not appear to be poorly equipped and seemed to have some discipline in the ranks, including the idea to retreat when they realized they couldn't do what they wanted to based on terrain/cover/etc.

Fascinating video.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

I had considered this but it equally applies to people who live in awful conditions. The basic premise is whether war or just bad life conditions, once a person is removed from this environment they are more likely to recover from the addiction.

It’s actually sad to think that Russian life is so painful that so many suffer this addiction.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,465 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I also saw reports of volunteers in Kyiv working in special kitchens preparing freshly cooked food for the front line soldiers. I doubt you'd see anything like that in Moscow somehow.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,820 ✭✭✭RoyalCelt

I reckon if Ukraine can physically cut-off Crimea and also take back northern Luhansk there will be an inevitable victory. They can cut off Crimea and leave it's liberation until last. If their entire force was focused on the Donbass I can't see the Russians holding them back.

Of course they'll stay on the defensive there as long as hordes of Russians run at them but whenever that stops they'll go on the attack and I can't see Russia stopping them if there's no other fronts to worry about.

They could easily tie up a large Russia force in Crimea at the same time by just threatening to take it along with probing strikes.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,053 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

A MiG-31 fighter jet has crashed in Primorsky Krai of the Russian Federation during a training flight.

Russias antique restorers are unlikely to be able to help with that. Keeping those things flying is almost as incredible as the US still fielding the B-52.

I believe these are the only plane the Orcs can use to launch the 'hypersonic' Kinzhal missile. They don't seem to have very many left as they deployed only 3 to Belarus to air launch other cruise missiles at Ukraine. Those 3 returned to Orcistan a couple of days ago.

Reminds me of the song 'ten green bottles'.

Reminds one of its predecessor the MiG 25. When Viktor Belenko defected to Japan in 1976 with one, after examination it took a while for Western engineers to understand why it had vacuum tube electronics, until they realised it rendered it pretty resistant to nuclear EMP effects.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,413 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

That link claims HIMARS, javelins, drones etc aren’t having the affect that Ukraine is claiming.

It says they are more a psychological plus for Ukraine with little positives on the battlefield.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

The mig had only entered service in 82 and has been upgraded regularly to keep it flying,

Definitely not the the same category as the b52 ,sure plenty of countries are still flying mig 21s introduced during Vietnam

Artillery Is Breaking in Ukraine. It’s Becoming a Problem for the Pentagon.

Ukrainian soldiers are firing thousands of shells daily, forcing the U.S. to replace gun barrels across the border in Poland.

Apparently at any one time, about a third of werstern supplied artillery is out of action.

I wish the US would stop just giving table scraps. No Patriots, no modern tanks, no longer range stuff like ATACAM, but every request is met with the same mealy mouthed US guff about supplying Ukraine with what it needs, or what the US thinks it needs to stop from going under.

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/11/25/us/ukraine-artillery-breakdown.html

• Registered Users Posts: 18,657 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Yes indeed, if you watch those 1420 videos, rural Russia has scarcely changed at all since the 1920s or 1930s Soviet Union.

It does illustrate though that the current dictator has done nothing to improve their lives in the last twenty years. Letting them live in poverty and squalor, but pumping nightly propaganda through their TV screens about how they are living in the greatest nation on earth and are so lucky not be part of the decadent and corrupt West. The fact that so many people turn to alcohol though would suggest that large numbers of them know full well they are living in a depressing kip of a place.

MiG 21 goes by the name flying coffin in India,that still uses them,for a reason

I have spent my life working in conflict areas. I have literally watched children dying in front of me from starvation, visited with former child soldiers who at 8 years old had their chest cut open and cocaine forced into them so they would kill, I have talked with people in sierra leon who have no arms because rebels cut them off and gave them a "short sleeve" because they voted, during the conflict in Bosnia I stood in disbelief staring at a soccer field turned into a cemetery so many people were killed so fast they had nowhere else to bury them, I have smelled the burnt flesh of people tortured by rebels, I remember photographing the aftermath of the genocide in Rwanda… that and Bosnia comes the closest to the feelings I have when I see what is happening in Ukraine, but Ukraine goes beyond any thing I have witnessed. What I do not understand about Ukraine is how the world is watching. We are not doing nothing, but we are not doing enough to stop the targeted and systematic torture and killing of civilians at a level I have never seen in my lifetime. It is pure criminal and barbaric behavior.

We are partially participating which allows this carnage to continue. And people conveniently forget our promises to Ukraine in the 1990's. - Howard Buffet

There is an American who sees the US limited assistance in the same way I do - nothing like enough or what their moral obligation calls for, given the Budapest memorandum swindle that made this war possible in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Not quite accurate. Vacuum tubes were all they had (and these weren't grandpas vacuum tubes, they were milspec steel ones.) Turns out, they in fact were resistant to radar jamming and EMP. More of a 'hey, this worked out great!' than they designed it for that reason.

Best thing that came out of Belenko's trip was the plane was no longer secret and USSR could sell them. BTW, the US dissected the plane, boxed it up and sent it back.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,827 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

Replacing a barrel is maintenance. Due to the sheer volume of shells being fired the barrel has to be replaced.

It's not being replaced because they are 'table scraps' as you put it.

Ukraine have been given pretty modern western artillery, a lot more modern than the Soviet era equipment they were using.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,054 ✭✭✭timmyntc

They either dont want the Russians to get their hands on any of the latest and greatest western weaponry, or they dont have sufficient supplies/production capacity to replenish their own arsenal quick enough.

Why else would they hold back from supplying weapons that could weaken Ukraine? Sure for the US its like christmas, weaken russia without a single US soldier at risk.

He'd have no problem getting on Margarita and Solovyov's Muppeteer show......he would fit right in.

Exactly,you need to change barrels on tanks,assualt rifles, Machine guns too

Problem with artillery is that its hard to do in a warzone,you need the right facilities for it because they weigh alot and needs special tools and space for it.

US have set it up in Poland just across the border

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Well considering the xm177 hasn't been produced for years,it's not uncommon,and the Ukrainans have been making solid progress with what they have . and are still receiving more weapons regularly

Of course they are spoofing, what would you expect from the Magarita and Solovyov Muppeteer show.? Putin mouthpieces.

The M777s and HIMARS are not table scraps, but compared to A-10s, F-16s, Typhoons, AH-64s, Patriot missiles, Predator and Reaper drones - they are. And every hours hesitancy in supplying more standoff and capable systems, is costing significant numbers of Ukrainin lives.

Some people think, 'oh isn't it nice what the US is doing for Ukraine', wheras I see it as barely enough and not nearly enough in terms of their moral obligation after hoodwinking ukraine in Budapest.

I want these kids to have daddy come home unscathed, and not just be left with fading memories of what he was like when he still had two legs.

More capable systems would greatly increase the chances of that.

Well that's nice timing - says basically the same as I have been:

In a 1941 speech on a Royal Navy ship, Winston Churchill directed his final comments to the US: “Give us the tools, and we will finish the job.” After a significant victory in Kherson, and standing at the gates of Crimea facing a Russian army desperately trying to shore up its ramshackle defences, Ukraine has the troops and morale to defend what it has. However, despite some western assistance, the Ukrainians lack the tools – tanks, missiles and aircraft – to retake their land and impose strategic defeat on the Russians. If the west, and especially the US, is serious about helping to protect Ukraine, decisions on stepping up military assistance need to be made now. If Ukraine is to be able to secure its future after victory – assuming that is what the west truly wants – its forces need to begin to transition to Nato-standard equipment.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2022/nov/29/ukraine-tanks-west-putin-russia-churchill

This protecting technology argument is as believable as thinking a collander is as good at holding water as a bucket.

The Chinese hacked the US and got the complete blueprints and specs of not just the F-22, but the F-35 as well, so any time you hear how someone doesn't want secret tech falling into enemy hands, they are spoofing. The Iranians managed to hijack and land intact, an RQ-170 Sentinel drone.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Hobgoblin11

Russia has come to the table, will the Ukraine/EU/Nato?

Dundalk, Co. Louth

Only difference is the shorter barrel and less mobility on a M777,uses a39 caliber barrel vs a polish Krab artillery,or German Panzerhaubitze 2000 that uses 52 caliber barrels for longer range.

So far they have acted just like the Nazi's in WW2 and looted every Ukrainian art gallery and museum they have encountered. That's their idea of preserving European cultural history - melting down scythian gold artifacts and turning them into bullion bars to be stored in their Swiss safety deposit boxes. I doubt a Swiss gold refinery would bat an eyelid at melting down archaeological treasures they knew had been looted from Ukraine.

No doubt the Hermitage and other Orc museums are about to get a swathe of new exhibits.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Russia hasn't come to the table, if that is what it is demanding.

Russia says the West's refusal to recognise "new territories" seized from Ukraine makes peace talks harder, after President Joe Biden indicated he would be ready to meet Vladimir Putin.

Russia illegally annexed four Ukrainian regions at the end of September, without controlling any of them.

Nine months into its invasion, it has lost more than half the land it seized.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Advertisement

You are confusing legitimising stealing the table, with sitting at it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement