Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Russia - threadbanned users in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Hobgoblin11

Explosions in Henichesk last night were audible in 20kms from the town

Dundalk, Co. Louth

Parts of crashed missile or drone were found in the field in Rudnya district of Volgograd region of Russia

Dundalk, Co. Louth

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭Run Forest Run

You seem to be confusing two distinctly different things here... "the west" and "the international community".

They're not one and the same - even though many in this part of the world very often do conflate the two.

Russia certainly has burned it's bridges with the west. But the same cannot be said for the wider international community. And Putin has never been completely happy with the western influence on his nation, so I would doubt very much that he really cares what the west does. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised at all if Putin is actually very pleased with the removal of western influence from Russia. He has commented on many occasions about the social and political problems etc that the west is facing. Perhaps he is happy to sidestep these issues over the next few decades.

The other emerging powerhouses in the wider international community, seem happy enough to work with Russia. I'm sure they will benefit greatly from Russia's near bottomless pit of natural resources. They do after all, own roughly 10% of the world's entire landmass - and the rich array of resources that naturally brings. The shoe could very well end up being on the other foot in the coming decades, with the west looking rather foolish for having cut themselves off from those resources. This is where nations like China and India have been far more shrewd in their dealings with Russia.

The Chinese in particular, seem to recognise how important Russia will be as a nation going forward. The western objective to weaken and marginalise Russia, is very unlikely to work - as they simply have too many important resources to be ignored. Russia are not really anything remotely similar to North Korea in terms of their importance to the world. And as someone who has worked in the field of ecology and related industries within Russia for many years, this is not some small little irrelevant enclave of the world that can simply be excluded and ignored - it's not going to happen.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,144 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

The Chinese will do what they always do, get what they can at as cheap a price as they can from Russia. There is no love lost between those two. Russia had little enough to do with them before all this. It was mostly talk. Note where the vast majority of their pipelines went. West, not East and since the 1980's. That was where the cash was for them and they needed Western tech to build and maintain most of it.

Emerging powerhouses? Forgetting their internal issues for a moment; China is almost entirely dependent on the Western markets. The EU alone absolutely dwarfs their market with Russia. The US, EU and China play their little games with each other, but they're like a couple that bickers in public, but beind closed doors they're riding each other into the mattress. Russia's the guy looking through their keyhole pulling the skeleton out of himself. India has always played both since the days of the Cold War, but like the Chinese they're not stupid. They'll play both sides when it suits, but only up to a point. Western companies are throwing huge wedges of cash at India and have been for a while. Always follow the money. BRICS? Russia might come second in that name, but they don't come second in reality. China and India will run that show by soft power or hard.

Oh and where does the Indian diaspora(and the Chinese for that matter) look to move to if they go overseas? It isn't Mother Russia. People are leaving Russia, not wanting to go there. So for all these "social and political problems" putin goes on about(mostly the Gays, it's all about the Gays with him), where do the vast majority of legal educated economic migrants(never mind refugees and asylum seekers) want to go to? These "emerging powehouses"? Nope. Russia? Hell no. The West. That's where they want to go and there's a reason for that.

Very early on in this Russian mess one thing they did floored me, and IMHO was one of their biggest mistakes of all. They confiscated the Boeing/Airbus fleet in Russia. Barely made the headlines at the time and is largely forgotten since, but for me that kneejerk response showed how truly stupid they can be. Overnight they were cut off from Western financing, leasing and insurance and the international aviation industries and authorities(their internal aviation industry has fallen off a cliff). And what did their "friends" China and India do and what it shows what they will do in the future over similar when it comes to it? They also banned those aircraft from their airspace. Always follow the money. When the Swiss back away from you, that's one hell of an indicator.

And yep Russia has huge natural resources and a small pretty well educated population compared to landmass. They should be living like Norwegians, or better, but they're not. Why? Because of insane levels of corruption and theft by their tiny elite and a culture that supports that tacitly or actively. This idiotic wasteful war that is killing their own people as well as Ukrainians shows that all too well. When a tiny not so long ago dirt poor damp(still damp) island off the coast of Europe like Ireland has bigger exports than Russia that speaks volumes about just how buggered that nation is or has become. Turning that around anytime soon would be like trying to turn a supertanker with a single oar.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,317 ✭✭✭gameoverdude

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,538 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

Christ, Forest, just when I thought that you had dredged up the last of the sludge from the absolute bottom of the barrel, you go and prove me wrong by posting something even more ludicrous than before!

Russia may have landmass, nukes and raw materials/natural resources but they haven't the wherewithal to do anything with it other than murder all around them and drink themselves into oblivion. There is no coming back from that and no one will want to be their friend for anything other than coming around to play with their stuff and/or bring it back home for buttons.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭jmreire

Then the man that rows it better be a very big man,,,and for sure, that's not going to be Putin!!!☺️

• Registered Users Posts: 6,317 ✭✭✭gameoverdude

They'll be 700000 people on the ship to give a hand.

Explosions were reported in Krasna Yaruga of Belgorod region

Dundalk, Co. Louth

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭zv2

“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” — Voltaire

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭junkyarddog

• Registered Users Posts: 11,411 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Hasn't the state media, TV and print in the last while, really gone to town in promoting anti Semitism.

And the Ukrainians are really using it to their advantage. Between Zelensky's religion and now the Azov regiment in Israel lately. The Rashists are childishly coming out with the Anti Semitism.

Seriously enough now so that the recommendation above was ushered.

History wise and how the Rashists love their history. This sentiment wouldn't be unprecedented. Black people were targeted in riots in New York about drafting for their civil war. The people had nothing to do with the war and draftees dying, but they became a target of rage as it was associated the war was about ending slavery. And thus they became associated with fault.

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭junkyarddog

• Registered Users Posts: 16,564 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

There are some very basic errors in this Tweet, even within relation to the images he's posted.

Also, it turns out the person in the photo, and the highest ranking person on the list is this fellow.

Translation from Russian news source.

The evidence gathered by the military investigative department of the Investigative Committee of the Russian Federation for the Birobidzhan garrison was found sufficient by the court to pass a sentence on the commander of military unit 61424, Colonel Marat Gajibalaev, the press service of the military investigative department for the Eastern Military District told OIA "AmurPRESS". He was found guilty of committing crimes under paragraphs. "c" part 3, article 286 of the Criminal Code (abuse of power with grave consequences), part 2, article 292 of the Criminal Code (forgery in office causing substantial violation of state interests), part 2, article 290 of the Criminal Code (taking bribes in large amounts).

The investigation and the court established that in September 2014 Marat Hajibalaev, as an official - commander of the military unit, exceeding his official authority, signed bills of lading containing false information about the alleged receipt of 576 cubic meters of solid fuel (firewood). Consignment notes and acts of receipt of solid fuel (firewood) signed by Hajibalaev provided grounds for unjustified transfer of funds in the amount of 1,685,995 rubles to the supplier's account.

In addition, between April and June 2015, Marat Hajibalaev received bribes (in installments of 20,000 rubles each) in the form of money from a subordinate serviceman totalling 80,000 rubles for general patronage and connivance in office. 

By the Birobidzhan garrison military court Marat Hadjibalaev was found guilty of the incriminated crimes and sentenced to imprisonment for a term of 4 years to be served in a penal colony of general regime, with deprivation of the right to hold positions related to the performance of the functions of a representative of authority, as well as organizational and administrative and administrative functions in state bodies and local authorities for a period of 2 years.

It's all very sketchy.

I think it probably has some element of truth, but it's clear 11 "high values" Russian officers weren't killed in a HIMARS attack.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,475 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

• Registered Users Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭jmreire

700'000 pairs of hands? That'll be some oar all right !!😏

"Karl" makes a welcome return, for me at least. Seem to be reasonable predictions. As ever, Western delay is costing Ukr lives.

These claims are highly questionable.

This claim is especially absurd.

Russia have just mobilised over 300k+. I am not for a second claiming that former Russian reservists are the best and the brave, but to suggest that they are all dead and defeated in just two months is horse sh1t.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,801 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

It's not just about dead and injured. They mobilized 300k and have gained pretty much zero ground, in fact they have lost ground.

So if Putin want's to take Ukraine, he needs more cannon fodder troops. Think the soviet way.

Invade Ukraine, throw 150k troops at Ukraine, loose 50k, perhaps 50k injured. Mobilize 300k, throw them at Ukraine, loose another 50k, 50k injured.

Next step on the Soviet plan is mobilize more!

To some posters on here it was absurd when there was rumors about Russian mobilizing 300k initially.

The artillery battle is under-reported in the media we read.

Most of the fighting is actually done via artillery. The Wagner prisoners attempting to storm Ukraine trenches is just a sick, minor interlude.

Russia has apparently in the region of 4k guns in the field.

Ukraine has apparently in the region of 1k guns in the field.

Russia currently has the artillery advantage (in guns, but in shells too), but it has diminished from the earlier battles in Severodonetsk and Popasna.

HIMARS has certainly helped Ukraine in holding back the Russians back, but 2 dozen systems are nowhere near enough to end the war.

With the help of western countries, it is possile that Ukraine can overturn the deficit. But I will give you a nailed on Francie Guarantee that it's not in the next 2 months, like has been suggested here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,399 ✭✭✭Homelander

It's absolutely not horse ****.

In a war of invasion and conquest, 300K is nothing.....absolutely nothing. Russia would need millions of men to achieve a major breakthrough, consolidate gains, and so on. Logistics and admin are vital too, and that takes from the total in the first instance.

It's nothing to do with "they're dead and defeated".

Even if they were running at a 1:1 loss ratio to Ukraine (which they are not) it's radically far short of what would be needed to take and hold territory, let alone continue any sort of advance.

Russia started the war nearly 1 year ago with 180k troops.

If you want to believe that they will lose nearly twice that number in 1/6th the time, then I hope you are right, but suspect you are very wrong.

You are literally defending someone else's ****.

Russia started the fight nearly one year ago with 180k troops.

To suggest that will sustain nearly double these numbers in casualties in 1/6th the time is REALLY stupid.

I never stated they will loose 2x the number in 1/6th the time. If you read what I wrote, Putin realized 180k troops couldn't take Ukraine, then he mobilized another 300k. Since then Russia has lost ground. Now, how do you take back that land? The Soviet solution is more troops.

What ever the number of current Russian soliders on the line, they are not advancing. It makes no difference in how many they have lost etc... They simply have not gained any ground since the mobilization, that's fact. We can argue on current losses etc... and yes the figures are all estimates etc... but the fact is they have lost ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,475 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

But they've already lost the war militarily. They are barely trying to hang on to territory taken in the last 10 months, with virtually no prospect of taking any significant new ground (as the Ukrainians are more than a match for them now).

The argument is timeframes.

Ukraine will not defeat the Russian army by February. If you really believe they can, then I beg you to quote this.

You're again putting words into my mouth. I was replying about your belief that Russia will not have another round of mobilization.

Right now, if they want to hold ground they need more troops, in 2 months if they want to hold ground, they need more troops (they are loosing 500+ a day, possibly 2k a day including injured)

The solution to both is...... more troops aka mobilization. I never said Ukraine will defeat the Russian army by February.

Russia have nothing in reserve, no next gear. It's more troops, more troops aka cannon fodder (assuming Iran don't give Russia ballistic missiles)

But for the most part that's all Russia can throw at Ukraine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭TheRepentent

Wanna support genocide?Cheer on the murder of women and children?The Ruzzians aren't rapey enough for you? Morally bankrupt cockroaches and islamaphobes , Israel needs your help NOW!!

http://tinyurl.com/2ksb4ejk

https://www.btselem.org/

I never once said they were looking to take any new ground.

I think they are firmly in the territory of take-what-we-can-get-mode.

I think Ukraine can win, but the timelines expressed here are just bonkers.

I've heard Crimea by last Christmas, then by this Summer, then I heard Crimera by this April, now I am hearing Russian army destroyed by February.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,905 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

Assault on Novoselivsky by the Ukr Kraken special unit - insane footage (involves disturbing images)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement