Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Russia - threadbanned users in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭SortingYouOut

Well that seems to be the done thing these days.

Beverly Hills, California

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭junkyarddog

• Registered Users Posts: 2,014 ✭✭✭RGARDINR

The Russian update was back in February 2019 so with Russians leaving in droves since then and the 10s of thousands that have died in the war will be interesting to see their population come 2050. But same in regards to Ukraine as this was posted back in November 2021 for Ukraine before the war and all the Ukrainians who have died and all the Ukrainians who will set up new lives in countries tht have taken them in and won't return. So both populations come 2050 will look even worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭junkyarddog

Thing is though,If or should I say when Ukraine manages to retake it's borders it will most likely become an EU member,so in time will start to have a higher and more prosperous standard of living.

That would help to attract the displaced people back.

Plus there will be a lot of work available in rebuilding the country and developing it's natural gas exports.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,047 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

A dormitory in Rubizhne was hit, demobilising about 14.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Hobgoblin11

Ministry of Defense of Belarus announced new drill with Russian troops, aviation and air defense at all airfields and firing ranges across Belarus starting 16th January until 1st February

someone on here predicted two weeks, looks like they were spot on

Dundalk, Co. Louth

• Registered Users Posts: 19,360 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Maybe that is why they needed all the washing machines back in February

• Registered Users Posts: 2,634 ✭✭✭RoyalCelt

I guess we don't have long to see if this is a drill or not.

On Belarus 20,000 orcs now stationed there and increasing on a daily basis, along with trains full of military equipment and vehicles,

Either they are annexating Belarus or they are going to open another front against Ukraine at some point.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,434 ✭✭✭jmreire

I lived in Russia for several years too, both before and after Putin came to power. What Russia was like back then before they opened up to western society and influence is like comparing chalk with cheese, only much greater difference. They were incomparably worse off I can tell you. I can still vividly remember the GUM stores. did you know them? And any improvements came because they invited westerners in to show them how to modernize and improve, to western standards. Aer Lingus were a case in point, they showed them how to run Airport duty-free shops, and when they could run them themselves, they did not need Aer Lingus anymore. This was SOP for any Company's they invited in. They learned from them, and kicked them out. Now you are saying that they would be much better off cutting themselves off from western influence. Rubbish!!! They will go back to Lada style infrastructure. And as for them being a hardy people, sure they are, ( the ones that survive, that is) The main City's, Moscow and St. Petersburg, are fine, but travel around the Republics and the rural areas, any you will see the real Russia. And I can tell you they are far from glitzy and glamorous. The amount of toilet's, washing machine's and indeed any household appliance's theft from Ukraine tells the real story. As for the survival rate you speak about, the population Nrs have been dropping for years, hence the devilish practice of kidnapping thousands and thousands of Ukrainian children. Good, let them introduce the Iron Curtain again. Might be the best thing to happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,330 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

I say has to be another front eventually there. I say putin is hoping for that to happen. Will mean a bit of an ease for them on other sections of the front and make Ukraine stretch their military there. Would be interesting tho if it was to happen would Ukraine take the fight properly into Belarus and invade them with their military and just try and even keep the war in Eastern Ukraine as static as they can if this was to happen, just knock Belarus out of the war completely then. Would they be capable of doing the 2 at the same time I wonder. But saying that I suppose Russia would then try and make Ukraine out to be the aggressor then saying there invading Belarus and rally for full mobilisation then. I say the Belarus issue is a headache for Ukraine in the fact that they are been attacked from there and have thousands of forces tied up there that they wish they could send to the east. I suppose we will know what way the wind is going if Russia does have another mobilisation of 500k and say 200k were sent into Belarus then you would know for sure its going to happen.

In Makhachkala, Dagestan.. wonder is Putin expecting opposition to his latest mobilization plans from there? They created problems there with protests etc last mobilization. Maybe Mr. Mayor was not dedicated enough to Vladimir?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭vixdname

Is there a possibility that if Belarus does indeed join the fight against Ukraine, that we see any other countries, NATO members or not NATO members, act unilaterally and take sides with Ukraine ?

Or do ye think that it would ensure NATO \ US will start giving Ukraine much more "Modern" weaponry \ battlefield equipment than they are supplying now ?

Interested in yere thoughts.,

Thanks all !

• Registered Users Posts: 4,562 ✭✭✭jackboy

They will probably just sit at the border to keep some Ukrainian forces away from the front line. What else can they do, try to drive down the road towards Kiev again. Their best could not do that against an unprepared Ukraine army. They would get absolutely shredded if they tried that again.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,604 ✭✭✭dasdog

140 million people with ample resources yet they have done nothing of significance in three decades. The brilliance of Stravinsky and Rachmaninoff reached global audiences yet today they jail Pussy Riot and bring nothing to the world of arts or science. Russia under Putin's authority has been a failure even if a select urban population live reasonably well in the ironically most Westerly regions.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭doyle55

They're good at corruption so it's no surprise they won those bids.

Yeah they could do that exactly. I suppose the more Russia sends into Belarus and if Ukraine believes they may invade from there the more then Ukraine would have to send there in both men and materials and less they can move against Russia in Eastern Ukraine so I suppose in that sense it will help Russia out there a bit even. I don't think they would make the same mistake and move on Kiev. The only time that would happen is if Ukraine was loosing and big time loosing. Saying that looking at the map here of Ukraine etc. The northern part that juts into both Russia and Belarus is interesting in regards to a possible northern invasion. Belarus could attack from the left and Russia from the North and right side. Could try and take that chunk from Ukraine. Your right and left and rear side is your borders so you wouldn't be getting attacked there but from the south in Ukraine if you were to take it. The river could be your furthest advance down and offers a buffer Ukraine would need to cross to get to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,470 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Seems the claims from the Russians that they killed "600 soldiers" are the usual lies / BS from the Kremlin. European journalists who visited the site could find no evidence that the two missiles had hit any buildings (it appears they completely missed their target). Appears to be just propaganda for the domestic Russian audience and the Putin bots.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,801 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

Any idea how many were based there last February?

All the roads and bridges around the border are either blocked, mined or destroyed, so they will face more resistance than before.

And then you have the question of will Belarussian Soldiers be prepared to cross the border and actually fight Ukrainians? Lukashenko is on a very sticky and precarious wicket with his own people as it stands. All it might take to trigger another revolution there would be bodybags returning in any kind of Nrs.

They wouldn't need to drive to Kiev just cross the border and create another foothold (Beach head)? inside ukraine

Post edited by Gatling on

• Registered Users Posts: 18,452 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

The claim of 600 probably verifies the accuracy of the original UA claim of killing 600 Russians.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 11,409 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

It's plan B from Putin to annex Belarus to save face from losing the war in Ukraine. There'll be bs about Poland ready to invade Belarus and external threats and Putin is taking Belarus under his wing to save it from war.

• Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭Slava_Ukraine

"It's plan B from Putin to annex Belarus to save face from losing the war in Ukraine. There'll be bs about Poland ready to invade Belarus and external threats and Putin is taking Belarus under his wing to save it from war"

Time for a coup in White russia.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,036 ✭✭✭joseywhales

If Belarus join a russian invasion from the north or if they don't and are instead subject to a new russian invasion themselves, you'd have to think in either case, there would be western support(Particularly Poland) for resistance there, potentially spreading this war. Politically supporting a Belarussian resistance/coup is not an escalation from the support being provided in Ukraine, basically still not a direct engagement of Russia.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,562 ✭✭✭jackboy

I think it would be too risky as it still would involve an offensive action that they are unlikely to be capable of. If they cross the border Ukraine may consider it a green light to strike equipment, ammo depots and barracks in Belarus.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement