Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Russia - threadbanned users in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,920 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

• Registered Users Posts: 11,040 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

They are, at least their latest moniker is apt. Toss them to the fires of hell.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,800 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

"Solidarity, international cooperation and peace, Anti imperialism and for social justice."

If they just said I'll bate you if you oppose Russia it would be refreshingly honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

UK to double the number of Challenger 2 tanks from 14 to 28,

If they can hold the Russians at the current lines , Come summer and the end of the muddy season they should be in a position to force home the advantage with their new armor in certain locations,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭vixdname

Maybe Im wrong but perhaps instructing the Moldovan police to open fire on any future pro russian rally participants would knock the idea of bussing them in on the head fairly sharpish ?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,708 ✭✭✭✭briany

Although I can understand the temptation and desire to baton charge pro-Russian demonstrators wherever they may pop up throughout civilised Europe, it doesn't achieve much apart from giving Putin some handy propaganda ammo. That is assuming the demonstrators would be non-violent, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭Strand1970

Bakhmut in the overall scheme of things means nothing, Russia using alot of resources to have a win . Ukraine willing to keep putting in troops to tie the Russians. up. Russians don't have the army to push much forward and ukraines regrouping for a big offensive.It will just be a stalemate maybe ukraine will make gains but not enough. Such a **** waste of life for nothing. Whatever land Russia holds onto will just be a waste land as they have no money to invest. As part of negotiations with Russia, Ukraine should be offered membership of nato and a commitment to EU membership once they meet the criteria. That would safe guard Ukraine future. Russia would have whatever land they gained but lost in the real sense.

Rumor has it that it was the commander of a local Russian battalion that done that to the dog because the German Shepherd was making better strategic decisions than he was

• Registered Users Posts: 3,743 ✭✭✭zv2

“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” — Voltaire

• Advertisement

According to REDDIT the guy in the video got killed, brave guy though, rounds slamming into the clay in front of him, explosions going off over his head and behind him and he stays calm and fires back, like it wasn't phasing him at all, perhaps high amounts of adrenalin ? Fair dues to that brave soldier though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Virgil°

The UK should honestly be proud of themselves leading the charge like this. They seem to be one of the few countries that truly understand that the best place for pretty much any tank/military tech in Europe right now is on Ukranian soil. They're holding the horde at bay for the rest of us. Giving the ukranians anything short of exactly what they need immediately is morally bankrupt.

I know they're mental but Russia would want to be truly beyond their **** minds to attack a NATO country in their current state. Having hundreds of Leopards manning the warehouses in Spain or Germany, "just in case" makes literally no sense currently.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Bakhmut in the overall scheme of things means nothing

Pretty much, regardless of whether Russia took it tomorrow or six months ago. The problem for invaders is unless they offer much better* than went before(Russia doesn't), or they have majority support in the invaded nation(they don't and even minority opposition causes issues), sooner or later they will have to leave. They inevitably lose. It's just a matter of time and number of dead.

Even the "tankies" know it as I've noted more recently their spin that filters third hand from above that they don't want to stay and control Ukraine, they want to "demilitarise/denazify" it. They know they can't hold it. Or they can't hold it for long. Well save for bits of Donbas and Crimea, as they have far more grassroots support there, especially in Crimea. If Ukraine were to march into Crimea now, a place that's been Russified since 2014, they'd have the same problems of holding it only going he other direction.

Russia has even added to this problem of theirs and the ironies are delish. Russia has claimed both that Ukrainians are "brothers" and Ukraine doesn't really exist, that's it's "Russian". Well whatever hope they had about that in the past, by this invasion and mass death and destruction by their hands they have demonstrated they're not brothers and more, they have actively been responsible for creating an independent Ukraine as a nation forged in blood and a Ukrainian nationality very sure they're not Russian, nor ever will be in the foreseeable future.

Look at our own history. The 1916 rebellion wasn't that popular in many quarters, there was a war on and it could have gone either way and today we might well be a devolved nation still under London to a large degree. But the English made a fatal error by executing the leaders of it, inflamed a background sympathy for the cause and united a nation against them. If there were a choice of points where we became a nation, set on the inevitable path to independence, when those shots echoed in Kilmainham gaol would be right up there. And the British lost and the British left.

*America makes this mistake though in the opposite direction. They assume their American Way(tm) is always exportable so long as the locals get to see it in action, but don't take into account that many locals in many cultures really don't want it and indeed the more they see it in action the less they tend to want it. Russia has done similar. Arrogance on both counts.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Looks like a rough outline of what they want to cling onto. As far as Putin is concerned Russia is "up" in this war.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,022 ✭✭✭ParkRunner

Are there any other bad guys with guns you wish death upon or just Russians?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,653 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Holding the Russians at the current lines seems too big an ask when the reality of the situation is that the Russians are actually making progress in the Donbass.

I'm highly sceptical of these western commitments of heavy arms. Seems it's popular and very easy to promise when you don't really believe Ukraine can hold out and thus your commitments will never have to be honored.

Hope i'm wrong on that.

I see you're back with this again.

Russian soldiers are systematically slaughtering, murdering, torturing and raping Ukrainians. You won't find many people sympathising with them for obvious reasons.

The fact that you are repeatedly "concerned" about this, but don't express the same concern for the people being blown to pieces by them, is starting to tell it's own story.

They aren't making progress bar bakhmut they are failing,if bakhmut Falls soon they will have achieved a 1% increase of the territory they held 12 months ago,

Just look at the sheer number of trenches they have built along the coastline of Crimea it suggests that they are preparing a last Stand on the beaches of Crimea or they are afraid the Ukrainians are going to attempt an amphibious assault on the Crimean peninsula and catch them in a pincher,

Most of the other fortifications are being constructed close to Crimea via Kherson,

I think they know if the Ukrainan start a mass counter offensive the Russian lines will collapse and chaos will ensue

• Registered Users Posts: 13,708 ✭✭✭✭briany

Probably more like what the Russians think they can cling on to. I've little doubt in my mind that the Russians would very much like to control the entire territory of what is recognised as Ukraine. At the very least, the idea of Kyiv being populated by a people who now want nothing to do with Russia to be a complete anathema to Putin.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,047 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Well on a Telegram channel comment fest on that video, a few people asked if he was dead and the reply was another video being posted, presumably featuring Ti Balls as lead character and the rest of his muddied mates from the encounter.

So if the reply I saw was accurate, it might be he survived and is this guy:

I certainly hope so.

Post edited by cnocbui on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,094 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

I remember thinking it was remarkable and shocking that civilians lived through the assault and obliteration of Mariupol at the beginning of the war. They hid in basements with no power, heat, water or communications. That siege lasted 3 months.

Bakhmut is all of that but worse. The Battle for Bakhmut is now in its 7th month and has gone right through the bitterly cold winter months and there are still several thousand civilians, including an estimated 57 children living there.

I have repeatedly expressed concern and horror at the deaths of Ukrainians in this war and condemned the war brought about by Putin. My position as always is to hope for peace rather than the slaughter of any soldier. The desire for slaughter and death on this thread is concerning

I don't think he survived,he was in a trench possibly with one other while he was getting pummeled machine grenade launcher and 20 mm cannon fire while he had an AK ,

As I said when I posted the video balls of Titanium,but unless that bmp and it's crew was taken out I don't see how he or they could have walked away considering it seemed no other Ukrainian forces were close by .

Maybe we'll get another video showing a longer version and we get to see what actually happened next,

I get the feeling in this case the Netflix movie won't have a sequel.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,439 ✭✭✭jmreire

No, not just Russians, but any other nationalities' either that are helping them in their murderous illegal campaign. And you? What do you wish for them?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭85603

Leading the charge?

There aren't even any Challengers on the ground in Ukraine.

There are French amx-10s (tank killers) and Czech, Slovenian, Moroccan and Greek tanks however.

Canadian Leopards were delivered to the Polish border recently. And Polish Leopards are in Ukraine now.

Post edited by 85603 on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭dmcdona

Looked like there was movement in the trench behind him at one point in the video.

Is it possible the orcs could have run out of ammo and simply ****ed off leaving him and anyone else alive?

Whatever the final outcome, that video must be one of the most powerful posted here - a soldier fighting for his life, his brother's lives and for the lives of everyone in his country.

Dead or alive, that man exemplifies courage under fire.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,375 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Have you? Perhaps you could include a reference.

Lasting peace can only be achieved through the 'slaughter' of the invading Russian forces. The major obstacle to peace is the Russian military presence in Ukraine. Just as the obstacle to peace in Europe in 1944 was the German army.

Russia has through its constant violation of peace treaties such as Budapest shown it only has respect for overwhelming military force.

Putin doesnt give two hoots aboit your Hopium - the only language he understands is the crippling of his army. And that involves death and slaughter.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,610 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

The majority on this thread desires a peaceful russian withdrawal and the end to all hostilities with Ukraine becoming sovereign again with 0 deaths on either side.

Below that is the desire for the invaders to lose in the fastest way possible without taking any Ukrainian lives.

If that means that 100,000 invaders die per Ukrainian, so be it, people will be unapologetic about that. Every invader that is stopped from fighting brings the end of the war and peace closer.

If you're serious about wishing for peace, outline your peace plan for everyone and then we'll see how committed to peace you really are.

• Advertisement

I don’t think anyone has the solution at this time. Are Russia going to withdraw to the border? Highly unlikely. Is a Ukrainian offensive likely? Yes, when that will be, what it will achieve and at what cost who knows.

Our own country was occupied by a foreign force and it ended with a split country as we all know without a full return of territory. Ruling out any option shouldn’t be done at this stage.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement