Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Russia - threadbanned users in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭AerLingus747

If you're looking at degrading comms capability to the UK, then yes, those cables a very significant.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭SlowBlowin

A Ukrainian medic talks about his job on the front line - quite honest and moving.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GeelZuwRxhY

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭SortingYouOut

Ukraine will take the blame if this doesn't succeed. That's the politics of it.

Not at all. The politics of it, in the context of this discussion, are isolated mainly in the US. Ukraine does not have any blame to take in this case because there's absolutely no political gain for either party pinning blame on the little guy. It will be the Republicans blaming the Democrats for everything. That's the politics of it as they are the ones accountable for the expenditure, not the Ukrainians.

The Democrats won't blame Ukraine, they'll blame Russia. Blaming Ukraine admits their own fault for backing them. The Republicans will blame the Democrats because it is what any opposing party does ever. That is the politics of it.

Beverly Hills, California

• Registered Users Posts: 12,408 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

I think that was to do with UAF had plans to launch massive strikes deep into Mordor and even Moscow on the first anniversary of the war back February. But the US talked them out of it in case it gave China an excuse to arm Russia

All Eyes On Rafah

• Registered Users Posts: 11,431 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

The US munition manufacturing industry would flip a lid if Russia wasn't an imperative to buy US munitions and weapons.

Poor ould Russia a hollowed out crust with a population smaller than France and Germany. But it must be feared. The hammer blow to put this Putin administration out of commission must not be allowed to happen.

Probably..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭SortingYouOut

How so? I'm not familiar with the undersea cables in the Irish Sea connecting UK & Irl but looking at the maps it seems that most in that area connect the UK & IRL and are dated back to the early 90's.

For the risk involved in diving between such a small area of sea, as opposed to an ocean, you'd think they'd be focused more on the atlantic cables coming in beyond the south of Ireland, on toward France and the UK.

Again, I don't have a clue. Just interested to know how those cables and early shared flight path are/is significant.

Beverly Hills, California

• Registered Users Posts: 11,431 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Could be military facilities in the North of Ireland, radar, navy, etc linking with command in the UK.

You or I wouldn't know but Russian intelligence probably would.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,578 ✭✭✭Field east

If Moscovia is even half as corrupt as is generally believed , it is still off the proverbial Richter Scale. Overt corrupting on has been so ingrained into the psyche of the ‘ breakaway states ‘ when they part of the USSR that it will take years and years for each of those states to wean themselves from the scourge of corruption

• Registered Users Posts: 3,747 ✭✭✭zv2

“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” — Voltaire

• Registered Users Posts: 2,578 ✭✭✭Field east

At least the media did. It hadn’t much else to report

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭AerLingus747

while you have tons of cables capable of carrying "internet" traffic, not all are utilised in that manner... or even moreso the issue, most are not provisioned to be used that way...

from an ISP perspective, take Eir for example, they may only have 3 or 4 routes in use to the UK with maybe 3 or 4 as backup... These may or may not be in the same undersea cable (these 4 active and 4 backup routes may be across 3 or 4 cables).... they would then have agreements with other providers where if these cable connections went down simultaneously. I would imagine there is an agreement with BT or E-Net to access their core network in Ireland to gain access across, or worst case, contacting the likes of NTT and hashing out an emergency contract which would require negotiating and router programming.... in both cases bandwidth would be greatly reduced and ping times increased ....

However, what threat actors would be looking at would be cables for specific purposes... military, financial, critical infrastructure control, of which there aren't many of, and taking out even one or two of these can wreak havoc on the associated services, particularly tuned, high speed financial circuits...

These may have traditional ISP internet backup, where if the ISP scenario happened, along with some select critical infrastructure cable cuts, you have regular and critical traffic, fighting for the same reduced amount of bandwidth... satellite would also be available, LEO sats still struggle with higher bandwidths and GEO will introduce ping times worse than Eircom 1999 DSL.

This is an Ireland example, but can be flipped to the UK. I would imagine cutting maybe 10 to 20 cables around the UK, while wouldn't cut off the internet completely, it would cause enough congestion on the remaining routes that the internet would be next to un-usable....

Degraded services to data centres in Ireland, EU, and US.... possible re-routes via Asia, social media would be unusable as local DNS settings would try route to UK based data centres with stale data, so many businesses use Sharepoint now which is a cloud based service, with servers for Europe on the continent or Ireland.... to untangle this mess would take months.

The UK to Ireland stuff I worked on a while back has 2 diverse routes with normal internet as backup... one north (via NI) and one south route (via Kilmore Quay).... if both went down the SLA was best endeavours within 2 months if they had to get the cable repair ship out....

“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” — Voltaire

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭BoxcarWilliam99

Iv yet to see Western media accuse the Ukrainian military of war crimes .

RT says US government are unhappy with Zelinksy as so much of the gear sent over has gone missing ornis unaccounted for. Things like military clothing, provisions etc

Some of the Ukrainian higher up officers supposedly on the take and selling.

I mean before the war Ukraine was the most corrupt country in Europe. This was the common opinion. It's still the same people running it

• Registered Users Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭swampgas

"RT says ..." - yeah, more of the same old propaganda. Can't you come up with something original?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

• Registered Users Posts: 16,615 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

I always think it's quaint when people point at things like vetoes in cases like this. Reality is that it will happen, posturing is just to extract concessions from others but if they overplay, they get excluded from any funding or a NewNATO (NNATO) gets formed instead.

It Been claimed that lavrov stormed off because of this speech,on the video we only see that bald orc , lavrov is currently in another meeting being steamed from the UN.

A lot of verbiage, not a lot addressing the meme - Ukraine only have one shot at defeating the Russians or Uncle Sam gets bored - BS.

And yet nobody so far has answered the points I raised, so keep deflecting and try to sell the meme. It’s not going to get traction.

If Sweden don't get in Because of Erdogan then ukraine definitely won't get in with orban in Budapest,the problem with say kicking one member or another or starting a new alliance with out certain members you defeat the purpose of an alliance if countries can be kicked it they don't agree with a proposal,you then take the likes of Erdogan and orban and drive them into the arms of other alliances which can completely flip the script

a) Complete whataboutery but completely on note.

b) Ukraine stamping out soviet style corruption which is endemic in russia was one of the big reasons for the invasion, I've no doubt it still occurs but the comedian, Zelensky, has been shown to take action against it, unlike putin who throws all those who expose it out of windows or down stairs or poisons them.

• Advertisement

The second best army in the world can’t take Kyiv in 3 days 🤣🤣🤣

oh wait!

Sweden will happen, Erdogan will get his ounce, that's how international politics works, timing of Sweden is less important as it's not bordering russia.

I'm pretty sure you weren't predicting Ukraine would hold off the Russians ,

I was hopeful. The 40 or so km line of vehicles coming to a complete stop was the start of, ‘I wonder’.

But that’s irrelevant. Most people thought it was a slam dunk for Putin. IF China thought it was a slam dunk to retake Taiwan, which is showing up corrupt China, they’d have done it by now. In truth China hasn’t fought a modern war against a super power… ever. War games are no substitute for experience. The Japanese tried their luck. Building a huge fleet is one thing, fighting a war, another. We’ve seen how a Russian flag ship was taken out. Ships are vulnerable. 100km is a long distance to get them to travel safely, and it’s not as if China can do a sneak attack.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,924 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

RT says US government are unhappy with Zelinksy as so much of the gear sent over has gone missing ornis unaccounted for. Things like military clothing, provisions etc

There are some reports that some equipment went missing, which could have happened through incompetence, or corruption with the suppliers or possibly even corruption on the Ukrainian end. It's relatively minor.

Russian propaganda is quick to seize on anything like that and spin it into distorted or larger narratives.

I mean before the war Ukraine was the most corrupt country in Europe. This was the common opinion. It's still the same people running it

Indeed, Ukraine has had issues with corruption. It's previous Russian backed leader, Yanukovych, a kleptomaniac, bled the country's coffers dry. Which is one of the reasons the Ukrainian people marched against him and ultimately removed him. It's a long process. Zelensky has used the current situation to take further action against it and also send a strong message.

They are being invaded and blown apart, it's the light of what's happening it's not a significant issue right now so it's odd you bring it up.

Ireland has corruption issues, if Russian were invading and slaughtering Irish people, would you be acting "concerned" over Irish corruption?

That Japanese fleet managed to something nobody else has managed sailed into US waters and attacked a naval base,

which woke a beast but china vs Taiwan is completely different the Chinese can blockade the Waters and skies over in a few hours,

China aren't Russia they aren't going to be fighting with Russian WW1 tactics,they have the ability to keep the US Navy 100s of km away from Taiwan just as Russian ship's are vulnerable so too are the US and Chinese,but the Chinese only have to sail or fly 100 miles to Taiwan and back,any help for Taiwan has to travel thousands of kms get there and not get sank or shot down at the same time,

That’s the point I was making, China cannot do a surprise attack… those days are gone.

Who would have thought Russia couldn’t get air supremacy over Ukraine, never mind superiority… you? I don’t think so.

I’m pretty sure China have looked at the cluster fuk Russia has made out of attacking Ukraine… and are thinking, ‘**** that for a game of soldiers’. It’s back to the long game for China, they won’t risk it.

Putin though this was a cake walk he actually believes Kiev in three days and a victory parade at the weekend,the reason they don't have air superiority is down to their own lack of judgement in not removing the Ukrainan airforce and Anti aircraft systems first before sending in troops in helicopters which was always going to end in disaster,

China have been building and preparing for this for the last 10 years at least, they aren't sitting on 60 /70 year old vehicles and old aircraft Carriers they modernised there whole military from the ground up ,

They know the biggest threat is US aircraft carriers,so what did they develop multiple hypersonic and super Sonic long range Anti ship missles, with ranges of over 1500 km + ,and these aren't some rebranded ballistic missiles,theses are designed to do one job,sink US carriers ,

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,666 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

(d) Is neither a national of a Party to the conflict nor a resident of territory controlled by a Party to the conflict;

MM has gone into this in detail already, but suffice to say you are wrong. Given that the Wagner group are almost entirely Russians, the Geneva Conventions apply to them.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement