Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Russia - threadbanned users in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭dePeatrick

They will do sfa… they have done what they can so far and needless to say it hasn’t worked.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,455 ✭✭✭jmreire

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

I see our orc friends are holding a victory parade from Dublin to kildare on Sunday and at the same time fundraising for groups in the Donbas

In comparison to newer Kalibr and upgraded Iskander missiles

Even Russias hypersonic missile used in UkraineKinzhal,is nothing but an air launched iskander

I said a missile without a warhead is of no use,only as a decoy

ICBM is an nuclear carrying missile,with nuclear warheads,it doesnt need 3-5 meter accuracy,a cruise missile do,thats why its called precision guided to todays standards

Old soviet missiles doesnt have GPS/Glonass guidance,only inertial

Wagners recruited convicts from prisons in Russia to go to Ukraine

Now they are released into the Russian society again

What did they think would happen when murderers and rapist are let lose again?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭Seanmadradubh

Good long read here in The Atlantic from Anne Applebaum and Jeffrey Goldberg.

The Counteroffensive.

"The future of the democratic world will be determined by whether the Ukrainian military can break a stalemate with Russia and drive the country backwards—perhaps even out of Crimea for good".

Archive Link: https://archive.ph/TuA5y

• Registered Users Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭Field east

Re the drone and taking Putin out with it. Given that Putin could be at any one of his accommodation possibilities throughout Moscovy and the many lookalikes that he has even the most sophisticated apparatus would have a challange in locating him and taking him out so WHAT CHANCE HAS A DRONE TO ACHIEVE THE SAME. Also how come the drone got in the whole way to the Kremlin without being detected? IMO it is the most audacious and most classic false flag I have come across and, as far as Putin is concerned, it gives him the right to bomb the centre of government in The UKr with aZelinsky in it.

A very cheap false flag and nobody got killed or even injured

• Registered Users Posts: 13,945 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

I see on bbc news of a drone strike on the Kremlin

• Registered Users Posts: 7,035 ✭✭✭timmyntc

Unless you can point out where I said that - yes, you are mistaken

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭strathspey

A fantasy thought entered my head this morning. If this Ukrainian counteroffensive proves successful and Crimea is taken together with the Donbass what if the the dismemberment of Russia is then presented as an option for the lifting of sanctions. The West could say to China, take all your old Russian territories back but acknowledge the independence of Taiwan and lay no further claim to it.

• Advertisement

A fantasy thought is right. Theres not a hope that a nuclear armed Russia is going to accept huge territorial concessions as a trade for removal of sanctions. Not a notion.

And as for China, they will not renounce any claim on Taiwan as it undermines the whole CCCP leadership. And they likely wont take Russian territory because together as China+Russia they are much harder to deal with for the West, but on their own they can be isolated and economically destroyed. That is what both dictators fear most and is what has pushed China+Russia together over the last decade.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,006 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Sudan has been at some sort of Civil conflict since the 50s, this is just the latest flare up.

The idea that Wagner are some sort of stabilising outfit is quite remedial.

They are nothing more than a thieving, murdering organised crime gang which are state sponsored. The sooner they are labelled a terrorist one the better.

But again, this isn't just my opinion.

“We are approaching the point that private military company Wagner is running out, and private military company Wagner, in some short time, will cease to exist,” Prigozhin said. “We’ll go into history — but it’s all right, such things happen.”

The Russian Defence Ministry has seized supplying them with anything approaching adequate weaponry and according to Prigozhin the Kremlin are no longer communicating with him. They are just above worthless at this stage.

These are not honourable soldiers, they will turn like we saw a couple of months ago when a commander got beaten to death by his own men with shovels, presumably because they didn't have any ammo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭charlie_says

Is this where the assault shovels meme came from?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,484 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

Yeah, sorry. You implied 1m army. So does Ukraine have a more than 1m soldiers?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,009 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

It's not often I agree with timmyntc, but he's spot on here.

And there is absolutely no way that China would ever, ever, ever, ever trade their claim over Taiwan for Outer Manchuria. Taiwan and its seas are of immense strategic value, far far more than anything the border regions in the far east have to offer.

There isn't a hope in hell that Russia will give up land in return for western sanctions being lifted. That would require the complete and utter military and political defeat and occupation of Russia by Ukraine, on the same scale as that of Nazi Germany or Imperial Japan by the Allies, and that is simply not on the cards in this war.

I'ts been difficult enough to get western sanctions in place during the war. It would be impossible to get all those countries to agree to the dismemberment of Russia being a condition of lifting them - especially if Ukraine achieved it's full liberation. Plenty of countries would see that as being a step far too far. And remember, the sanctions are not absolute. There's loads of countries still fully trading with Russia, and there's still some trade between Russia and even the western countries with the most strict sanctions.

If you want to engage in fantasy thinking that has at least some possible plausibility, then maybe one could begin to imagine the collapse of the Russian government, and a resulting civil war during which China moves in to "protect" it's interests, investments and migrant workers in the border regions. But there's no way it involves Russia agreeing to it, and there's 100% no way it involves Taiwan being traded for it.

When have I ever implied or stated Russia has 1m soldiers in ukraine? Thats nonsense figures

I didn't miss the "dismemberment of Russia" part. I dismissed it out of hand with this statement:

There isn't a hope in hell that Russia will give up land in return for western sanctions being lifted. That would require the complete and utter military and political defeat and occupation of Russia by Ukraine, on the same scale as that of Nazi Germany or Imperial Japan by the Allies, and that is simply not on the cards in this war.

And I covered that in my last statement:

If you want to engage in fantasy thinking that has at least some possible plausibility, then maybe one could begin to imagine the collapse of the Russian government, and a resulting civil war during which China moves in to "protect" it's interests, investments and migrant workers in the border regions. But there's no way it involves Russia agreeing to it, and there's 100% no way it involves Taiwan being traded for it.

The point you're missing is that

• The west unilaterally dismembering Russia as a condition for sanctions being lifted

and

• Russia breaking apart in a post-defeat civil war

Are two completely different things.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,948 ✭✭✭circadian

If the Russian Federation collapses then China would most certainly consider taking control of the timber/gas/resource rich eastern Russia and probably do so under the similar guise that the Russians used for Eastern Ukraine, that ethnic Chinese were at risk or some similar story.

They have several million Chinese immigrants working and living in Russia,so it's entirely possible.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭zv2

“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” — Voltaire

And not only "released" back into Russian society again but with a personal guarantee from Prigoshin that if they have any problems, he will sort them out fir them. Talk about a License to Kill.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,826 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

If Putin's Red Army at any stage in the Ukraine hit between 5 and 10% of what the Soviet Red Army proper killed in Ukraine alone then NATO must get involved and aggressively so, regardless of the consequences.

It is probably not possible for Putin's Russia to even come close to it. That's a reflection on the scale of murder and savagery of the older Red Army.

Putin and Shoigu were soft compared to even Gorbachev, who oversaw the killing of between 2 and 5 million civilians in just Afghanistan alone.

He was the friendly face of Soviet Russia and the relaxed man who wound it down eventually, by Soviet standards he was a dove and he was.

Prigoshin and his Wagnerites are just another branch of Putin mafia, nothing more.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,930 ✭✭✭Cordell

That's not the chinese way, especially with a nuclear power. They will do it by economic means (including buying politicians), just like they're currently doing it in Africa.

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭Mike3549

This drone incident and wild accusations are as much an excuse for Vladimir to tighten up restrictions on Russian citizens as much as anything. It will give him the right to really tighten the screws on them, as if they were not tight enough as it is, and with the May Victory Day fast approaching. Worrying times for Vladimir. And as a bonus, he gets to throw mud at not only at Zelensky, but the west and the US as well. But one question remains..just how many Russians believe him now?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,930 ✭✭✭Cordell

I think they really need to say it was the americans, that is a much bigger and stronger enemy. It would be humiliating and basically to accept they are weak to admit that Ukrainians were able to fly a drone to that place.

• Advertisement

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement