Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Russia - threadbanned users in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭paul71

When someone deliberately sets out to make a selective quote which entirely changes the context of the actual message as you have done in this instance, I dismiss them as serious contributors.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,578 ✭✭✭Field east

Is that the Claire Daly re farmers will make even more money if they raise water buffalo and said that Finland were quiet happy to live alongside Russia and not being a member of NATO. She behaved as a classical ‘ hurler on the ditch’ saying all of what is wrong but suggesting nothing apart from everybody stop what they are doing. What she should be really asked is that if the UKr government gave her TOtAL FREEDOM to negotiate with Putin when would she start , what would be negotiable, what would be her red lines and how would she guarantee that UKr would never be attacked again - be it special operations, cyber attack, etc, etc. she has more than enough knowledge of UKr desires, what is currently happening on the ground, who started the war , etc, etc, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,574 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

• Registered Users Posts: 16,574 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

That doesn't leave very much in the way of serious discussion here, does it? 😁

No, but it has been obvious since the start of the thread that a large number of people are quite prepared to use and are adept at classic disinformation and propaganda. That poster did not seem to lie but the selective quote was so transparently at odds with the original statement it came from that it could not be left unchallenged.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,035 ✭✭✭timmyntc

The second half of the full quote does not negate the first however - the US do not publically endorse Ukraine using US supplied weapons to strike at Russian territory, which is what has been argued here for several pages.

• Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭AerLingus747

B-1 Bombers passing UK, getting fuel and onwards to Europe

Timmy, you are another that I long ago dismissed as disingenuous. You poured scorn on the idea Wagner are up to their neck in African blood. Goodbye.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,995 ✭✭✭rogber

Is it any clearer who exactly was behind the Belgorod attacks? Russian speaking Ukrainians? Russian volunteers backed by Ukraine? An independent Russian partisan group?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,059 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Claire Daly - will be flushed down the jacks in the next election, along with her buddy Mick.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭Raoul Duke III

I don't know, do you think the average Joe has any knowledge or interest in what they say and do far from the emerald isle?

(Don't get me wrong, I fully endorse your sentiment. But we have a long history of re-electing creeps due to our hyperlocalism.)

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭Seanmadradubh

Saying you "don't endorse something" and saying you "don't endorse something but it's not up to you" are two different statements, with blatantly different meanings, especially in politics.

• Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭AerLingus747

That's where they're heading first by the looks of things, have just entered the Baltic.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,408 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

All Eyes On Rafah

• Registered Users Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Gerry T

Putin is behind it 🙂

Putin Actions = Belgorod Reaction

• Registered Users Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭Sigma101

I'm not so sure.

I think there's plenty of potential for Daly/Wallace to get re-elected. There's a hardcore of people who take the position that Ireland should retain its neutrality at all costs and that it should be opposed to war in every circumstance. Last night Micheal Martin indicated that Ireland was prepared to compromise on its veto of EU security and defense decisions. Also the triple lock mechanism will have to be changed given that Russia/China can veto decisions at the UN. These developments would represent a significant shift in Irish defense policy, even without considering closer cooperation with NATO, and it's clear that policy change is needed. In the context of Ukraine, it's lazy and unhelpful for politicians to push the hardcore neutrality angle, but it can get you votes, particularly in European elections. 

• Registered Users Posts: 8,446 ✭✭✭jmreire

See if any Russian fighter's will buzz them or do a fuel dump on one?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,109 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

Typically Clare Daly's entire shtick as an MEP has been making anti-Western speeches to an empty European Parliament so that they can be clipped and send around pro-Kremlin social media. The fact that she actually went on Katie Hannon's show makes me think that she really is considering running for re-election in 12 months time. I think if she starts softening her language on Ukraine and pivoting to talking about Irish issues then we will know for sure that she is.

I hope she does just so I can see her lose her seat. Last time out she drew a lot of support away from Lynn Boylan (SF) who lost her seat at that election. I think the combination of SF going from strength to strength since then and Daly putting off a lot of people with her pro-Kremlin stance basically makes her unelectable. Yes, she'll still mop up the votes from the "Everything is America's fault" brigade but there isn't a quota's worth of them in that constituency (especially with SF taking some of that vote).

That's certainly true but that's more a phenomenon in Dail elections. The European constituencies are too vast in size and the European Parliament too large for parish pump politicians to operate as they do on a Dail level. Besides, Daly is the opposite of a hyper-local politician. In fact she rarely if ever even talks about Ireland.

I do think the average voter here has come to appreciate the EU a lot more in the past few years and has not been impressed by Wallace and Daly using their precious speaking time to go to bat for authoritarian and odious regimes. A lot of people would have given them high preference votes purely because of how they were treated by the guards when they stood up for Maurice McCabe. That good will has evaporated now.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,131 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

It's a ballsy move.

I presume the 100's of km of border is only lightly defended, and random incursions will mean the whole border has to be strengthened, pulling soldiers away from the front lines.

Likely there's no military benefit, and the only purpose is to spook the border towns so they all start shouting for support.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,747 ✭✭✭zv2

11 yo Russian schoolboy tries to slit classmate's throat.

“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” — Voltaire

A serious analyst/debater - like the Alan Dukes/ More McDowells/ Micheal Martins of this world - would have thorn some of her main points to shreds. I am very surprised with RTEs choice to argue against her

The fact that a tank plus a few humvees along with some infantrymen is still active on the territory of Russia after nearly 24 hours is a damning indictment of the Russian defence forces.

I would take that as a deflection. When everybody eles

se in Ru say one thing they mean something else. Why not the same here?

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭WheelieKing

A harrowing and sobering, but excellent long read yesterday in The New Yorker. Two weeks spent on the front line, living with Ukrainian soldiers who face death every single day in horrid squalid conditions and who have been through absolute hell as their brothers/sisters in arms die side by side. While it's not a negative piece by any means, it's a good dose of reality compared to the PR Twitter threads and overly gung-ho Youtube videos that permeate this thread.

Encourage everyone to read it.

There will be a whole generation of physically and mentally scarred fighting men and women to account for once this is all over, not even mentioning a terrorized civilian population. If people are eagerly hoping for a Russian collapse, it's because we don't want to see this war drag on. Unfortunately thus far despite that hope i see zero signs of that collapse in the short to medium term.

I tend not to watch these silly debate programs on many terrestrial stations anymore. Probably goes back to Brexit when bare-faced liars and complete loons were given platforms from which they could rant without challenge. Shrills like Daly and Wallace are given carte blanche by RTE, as are the Healey Raes are on Today FM, and Newstalk to promote pothole politics and anti drink drive agendas.

However I do not have full confidence that Wallace and Daly will lose EU elections. Never under-estimate the sheer stupidity of the Irish electorate, look at the Healy Raes, Lowry, multi-term pothole TDs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭Evd-Burner

I fear you may be right. Daly seems to be held as almost godlike for a lot of people around the constituency.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,031 ✭✭✭rolling boh

There seems to be quite a few voters who like to vote for people just to annoy the rest of us .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Gerry T

It just makes everyone strengthen their resolve behind Ukraine and admire their right to live a free life. It's also become clear that Russia needs to be neutered for good, having such an evil regime active can't be tolerated.

But you are wrong in thinking Russia's collapse is not happening, it's patently obvious it is and accelerating with time under the pressure of the war and sanctions. A self inflicted wound.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,035 ✭✭✭timmyntc

More DRGs crossing the border into Belgorod further east now, 2 more villages reported under attack pending liberation

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement