Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Russia - threadbanned users in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,408 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭dennis72

Kursked cracks bridge inviting for an incoming special operation soon.

Engineers about to be charged with treason.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,446 ✭✭✭jmreire

Thanks for the info. And what was your take after reading these articles?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,747 ✭✭✭zv2

“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” — Voltaire

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Rawr

I might guess that the damned thing might not be up to the task of hosting a lot of heavy armor across it. Might not bode well for them if Ukraine manage to make a good run at Crimea. Reinforcements (or a retreat) across the bridge might bring it down, if this is any indication of the build quality.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,578 ✭✭✭Field east

I don’t understand what all the discussion is about re the bridge support ‘cracks’ to me it is obvious that they are felt pen marks. All you need to do the marking are a few black felt pens , a ladder and a boat with a tank full of fuel

• Registered Users Posts: 8,460 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Could be true , could be false

Could be an attack that's a decoy , could be that they want you to think its a decoy ,

Could be winding up the russians ..

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

Well for one thing, I can understand why your typical Russian comes across as very compliant re supporting the special operation , so pro Putin , - in public-keep their heads down, little or no opposition, etc, etc, etc. Making a public statement or doing anything at all that is seen as , in any way, anti establishment is immediately STAMPED OUT.

I have great admiration for those Russians that actually do protest - they immediately put their very lives at risk . And this would include their family members, their friends, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,460 ✭✭✭Markcheese

these drone and missile attacks on both moscow and oil exports could well be a signal to the movers and shakers in russia , not particularly military targets ,

More of a "this is your future in a prolonged unresolved conflict , "

You cant live comfortably in the most expensive - best protected moscow suburb - and your wealth and power and dependant on oil exports , which ukraine can be hit at will ..

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 5,804 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

Did he not answer a question wrt the recent drones sightseeing in Moscow?

Amazing how all of a sudden he doesn't need to keep the world's longest table between him and another person.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,432 ✭✭✭RedXIV

To be fair, this Victor character has called out before that Russia made a mistake in it's choices. I'm kinda amazed he's still around and kicking. Guy must live in a bungalow.

“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” — Voltaire

• Registered Users Posts: 11,059 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

So... they are willingly or unwillingly supporting the regime that has brought them to this state of affairs.

A civilian revolt and refusal to work, to strike would bring down hardship on some/ many even but it would wreck this Russian military initiative in a matter of days. A people can only be bullied and obliged to go along with matters so long as they acquiesce to it. So as things stand, they are complicit in the actions of their state. Explanations can be given but no excuses can be made.

Yes, agreed 100%. If there was a real opposition, the invasion would not have taken place. Of course, from square one a real opposition and democracy would mean Putin would have been jailed many times over. But even before Putins latest crazy escapade, Just any kind of civil protest was ruthlessly stamped out. I remember one escapade long before the war, while having a meal in street cafe watching the world go by. Then a couple of kids came driving down the street, windows open loud music blaring for all and sundry to hear. Harmless fun, a couple of kids blowing off steam. Then out steps two policemen and stops the car. The kids got out, and started horsing around the police, making a joke out of the whole thing. Police started to get annoyed and turn nasty ( as they do) and passer-bys started to take an interest, and gather. One policeman makes a call for back-up, and within minutes, the street is swarming with heavily armed police. The kids are arrested, and taken away, and the police face the crowd with a defiant " Anyone else want trouble" attitude. The crowd dispersed. As my Russian friend remarked " Even the kids cannot have a bit of Fun here".

Its hard, if not impossible to explain to anyone from the civilized parts of the world, what its like to live in a totalitarian state, that is ruthlessly ruled by a merciless dictator. Putin's Russia is fast turning into a 2nd North Korea or Hitlers Nazi Germany. Where your very neighbours will report you for the slightest anti war-anti Putin comment. Having some visitors, with different republic plates on their car? Expect a visit from the police, especially if its from one of the "restive republics", In these places, people are faced with a choice: Do as we order, or die, Simple. No one asks why there's no revolution in Nth Korea, because everyone knows why not. Russia is the very same. I seem to remember when the Germans occupied France, the workers in a factory made that stance, refused to work. A detachment of German soldiers turned up at the factory with a portable gallows. Picked some random strikers and hung them. End of strike. Putin would probably not only kill the workers , but their families too.

Post edited by jmreire on

• Registered Users Posts: 7,109 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

That's his role on these shows. These shows are not scripted but each of the guests is given a certain lane that they occupy and certain talking points. For most of them it is tub-thumping nationalism but this guy and another older softly spoken guy get to question things. They could very well be their true opinions and they may have been chosen for their role based on those in the first place. They'll be fully aware of the invisible lanes that they are not to cross though. If they are giving an opinion that contravenes the official Kremlin line you can be damn sure they have been green-lighted to do so.

The whole point of having views like this aired is twofold. One is that the other guests (and often the actual hosts) can shout them down and attack their arguments. This will reinforce in the viewers the notion that these are stupid or unpatriotic opinions. The other is that the Kremlin will monitor the reaction of the viewers to try and understand where their audience are at. This feedback allows them to get a feel for what kinds of future policies they will stomach.

It's the same in the Duma although I'm not sure if any of the members of that body get to question anything anymore.

Yes so they are acquiescing and complying, going along with it - even though there must be widespread knowledge that not all is at it seems.

Sorry, doesn't excuse them. And the stains of this sorry episode will all across ordinary Russians for many years to come.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,508 ✭✭✭wassie

A short 2 min video by Australian public journalist reporting in Kozacha Lopan on systematic torture by Russian soldiers on village locals.

Mr Zadorenko says that Russian soldiers also came looking for him. He claims they wanted to set up a sham referendum process to try and legitimise their occupation.

When they knocked on his door early one morning, he wasn't at home. He had left the village with his wife and children. So, they grabbed his mother Natalia instead.

"They took her outside. They kept her in the snow for about an hour in her underwear while the house was searched," he says.

"After that, they took my mother to the basement, where they assaulted her with electric currents and psychologically pressured her.

"Then they threw her out into the street from the basement."

His mother was one of the lucky ones who made it out relatively unscathed.

Investigators are gathering a lot of evidence on war crimes.

The Kharkiv police believes torture practices were not the twisted whims of rogue recruits. Instead they allegedly came from directions from the top.

As countless similar reports before on this thread, its clear that this is not a case of rogue soldiers acting terribly in the fog of war, these are authorised sanctioned acts of crimes against humanity by Orcs.

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭Mullinabreena

Another reason for ‘apparent the difference of opinion ‘ is that it can be held up as a good example of ‘freedom of speech’. The Westis always going on about the Russian media is totally controlled by Putin

• Advertisement

Quite and there should be no excuses for the citizens of the Russian state, either living there or residing outside the state. None of this, 'but it's not their fault'.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,109 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

Blinken is straight up trolling Russia now

• Registered Users Posts: 82,412 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

• Registered Users Posts: 6,948 ✭✭✭circadian

Shebekino having a bad day. I get the feeling these incursions will get more visceral for the Russian population as time goes on.

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭Baba Yaga

June 6th would be a very symbolic date allright...

"They gave me an impossible task,one which they said I wouldnt return from...."

ps wheres my free,fancy rte flip-flops...?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,718 ✭✭✭seenitall

They would need to wait a year to make it a nice round anniversary, though!

"The trouble with these people is that their cities have never been bombed and their mothers have never been told to shut up."

Quote from Trouble by Charles Bukowski

• Advertisement

What would you do if the gun was put to your head, and you were given the choice " Obey or die?" All very fine sitting in the safety and comfort of your own home, and pontificating on the high moral ground, but I can assure you, if the knock ever came to your front door, your mind might change 360○ and in the blink of an eye at that. Because that's how its done in Putin's Russia. I know of people who have been picked up off the street on a Monday, and were in uniform the next day. And for sure, 100% they were not acquiescing and complying, or even going along with it, they knew only too well what the situation was, and wanted no part of it. If they supported Putin and his war, they would have enlisted.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement