Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Russia - threadbanned users in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,574 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Agreed. If a Leopard was destroyed/disabled the Russians would have footage of it and you can bet your bottom dollar we would be looking at it already.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,634 ✭✭✭RoyalCelt

It looks like the counter offensive is ramping up. The next couple of week's could be crucial.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,110 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

• Registered Users Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭Virgil°

Lol. Best give up now eh? That way none of their tanks get destroyed! All unconfirmed twaddle from a Russian source. And in any case it looked like the APC that got hit. Also one damaged tank does not a failed offensive make.

Like i said before. There's going to be a huge amount of unconfirmed shite swirling around from the russian propoganda machine. That could be anything from pictures of one destroyed leopard from different angles made to look like 20. Blurry pictures of supposed leopards from a distance. Pictures and videos from ages ago that show something being hit etc etc... All to hurt the morale of Ukraine and their supporters. This is what it's designed to do, so they have every incentive to lie.

There's a channel called suchomimus on youtube who posts reviews of these kinds of videos. I'll wait for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,278 ✭✭✭thomil

You missed mentioning that large parts of the country (East Prussia, Pomerania, Silesia, parts of Prussia proper) were permanently stripped away from Germany, becoming part of Poland, or in the case of East Prussia, the USSR and later Russia.

Finally, I may have mentioned this before but it bears repeating, German political culture prior to 1933 was completely different to what we see in Russia. the German citizenry was much more politically empowered and aware, even in the authoritarian days of the Kaiserreich. Elections were a regular occurrence, and political debate and debating culture was very much alive, going back to even before the formation of a unified Germany in 1871 and into the precursor states. This is one of the reasons why west Germany was able to snap back into a parliamentary democracy so quickly post-1945. It wasn't a new concept.

It was this combination of a pre-existing political culture, the massive destruction brought on by the war, and being brought face to face with the horrors of the nazi regime that brought large parts of the German population around. I see none of that in Russia, nor do I see he type of "can-do" attitude that was evident in much of western Europe after the war and that was one of the driving factors behind the "Wirtschaftswunder" of the 1950s. Until that changes, I can't see anything good coming out of Moscow...

Good luck trying to figure me out. I haven't managed that myself yet!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,484 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

• Registered Users Posts: 6,948 ✭✭✭circadian

• Registered Users Posts: 16,574 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

A Ukrainian column hit hard.

The vehicle in the ditch looks like a donated Swedish CV-90.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭20silkcut

Germany was always an authoritarian militaristic country in a terrible location for a peaceful existence.

Even during the Weimar years it was re- arming in secret.

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭Fritzbox

Pretty certain that's an old video from around 6 months ago - not recent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,890 ✭✭✭enricoh

Why do they blur out the bit in the middle - a body? Didn't see any bodies thankfully. Gear can be replaced in time.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,432 ✭✭✭RedXIV

I think I would disagree with the comments made earlier about not wanting Russia to self implode.

While Russia operates as a single entity, conquering forces are looking outward towards Ukraine. If the republics within Russia start to defect and strive for independence, that's more power whittled away from the whole. And based on a lot of what we've seen during this war, It sounds like there is very little for the republics to miss if they annex themselves. It wouldn't be ideal for those within Russia as it stands today as they deal with the fallout of striving for independence but the reality here is that Russia as a country as large as it is doesn't seem to work.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,826 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

The French, Dutch, Germans will never agree to Ukraine joining, never mind Russia.

It would shift the centre of power in the EU over to Central Europe.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,683 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

The point of having tanks is to use them.

When you use things in war some of them will get destroyed.

Such is life.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,110 ✭✭✭yagan

Regarding the future of Russia it will most likely shrink from what we know of it. Half of the Russia population lives in the western most eight, the other 7/8 is extremely sparsely populated. That's a geographical spread far beyond the social stability scope of the EU project. Greater Russia is a legacy of the Romanov era which bound mostly nomadic nations.

Now those nations are their own countries like Kazakhstan which recently switched away from using Russian cyrillic script. Russia has terrible demographic decline which makes holding the Romanov legacy together a losing battle, so all it's projections of strength concentrate on the tangible enclaves of its western frontier.

If Russia was confident it could still take Ukraine it would not have blown the dam, which is why I believe it was an act of panic to establish a new goal of a Russian border on the Dnipro river.

Post edited by yagan on

• Registered Users Posts: 7,110 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

I think it's unlikely that any breakup would resemble the relatively orderly dissolution of the Soviet Union into neat little self-governing units. Right now all of the federal units are run by Governors who were hand-picked by Putin. So the first thing is that they would be toppled leading to local power vacuums.

I think ultimately it would be chaotic and messy and could end up looking something like Libya or Sudan with high ranking officers in the Russian Army or PMCs creating their own armies to fight each other for territory and resources (we're effectively seeing a taste of this already with the likes of Prigozhyn and Kadyrov). And that's not even mentioning the elephant in the room - the nuclear arsenal all over the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭TheRepentent

good god no.....leave those fukkers within their own borders and have nothing to do with them .

Wanna support genocide?Cheer on the murder of women and children?The Ruzzians aren't rapey enough for you? Morally bankrupt cockroaches and islamaphobes , Israel needs your help NOW!!

http://tinyurl.com/2ksb4ejk

https://www.btselem.org/

• Registered Users Posts: 14,412 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

A 'disaster'?

Strong words from someone with a point to prove.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭Economics101

THat is a very reductionist view of German history. And in any event, German (or more accruately Prussian) militarism is a long-extinct force

• Registered Users Posts: 8,460 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Each state or russian republic is set up in such a way as to bind it to russia as much as possible , wether its through borders designed to cut through ethnic groups or dependant on their neighbours and the federal state for energy or export infrastructure,

So while its possible to split ,it would probably need groups of several republics to work together to be able to function without moscow ..

Im not sure about the nukes , theyre expensive to maintain - and made to be difficult to use without the codes -which is why a large ,technically advanced ,but broke country like ukraine got rid of theirs.

Also where are the nukes kept ? I assume most of them are on "safe " russian soil... Ie. Surrounded by ethnic russian populations ..

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,901 ✭✭✭✭josip

Yes, but although they've made it harder to cross downstream of the dam for now, they've also made it easier to cross upstream.

Strategically, blowing the dam only made sense if the deluge of water caused troop/equipment/infrastructure losses to the Ukrainians. From the reports I read yesterday, the water levels have already peaked in Kherson.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Unfortunately it's always going to happen,as I previously said that led to posters having complete meltdowns 😂😂😂,

You can't move columns of armor and other vehicles across open ground without air and artillery cover and not expect to take heavy artillery barrages from the Russians ,the same vehicles are prone to drones and loitering munitions as they don't have active air defenses, just as we already seen in the various failed Russian offensives recently

We will see more vehicles losses as the counter offensive begins to increase operations

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,282 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Looks like those burning Leopard tanks are more Russian Nazi propaganda. Confirmed they are photoshops of previous russian tank losses.

Cope harder Vatniks.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

But the biggest problem when your going to be soley reliant on western IFVs and tanks to fight to the Russian border you can ill afford to lose them in numbers that could slow down any offensive,

It's a balancing act

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭IdHidden

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭Field east

Russia has another option. It can go home and progress and develop the RF. It is big enough and with a lot of key resources to be’getting on with life ‘ for its population and put ALL OF its energy into same. And let it get on with whatever way it wants to be ruled

Ru/Putin is paranoid about being attacked from outside/ taken over/ forced regime change from outsideRF,etc. IMO this cannot be further from the truth. . Why. It was the USSR and the USSR only that broke up , circa 1990 into the currentRF and thirteen other ‘independant ‘ states. It was the USSR and the USSR only who handed over , permanently, Crimea to UKr before that.

The USSR or the RF or any of the ex USSR states have NEVER been attacked by any other state with a view to anexing any of them or part of them. This is not the case within them as some are battling over land / power

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭IdHidden

More clear evidence from a Russian drone of Leopard Tanks on the attack below.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,438 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Three more dams blown up.

Putin's fascination with Hitler continues.

Taking a leaf out of the Nazi book from Holland in 1944.

Topography is not as flat in Ukraine as Holland though I believe. It's only buying the Russians a short time. And adding to their list of sh1t housery.

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭WheelieKing

Sh ithouses.

Cowardly stuff but i expect it to get a lot dirtier as they retreat to their border over the next few weeks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,412 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement