Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Russia - threadbanned users in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,455 ✭✭✭jmreire

The difference between what Ukraine is mobilizing and training and what Putin is mobilizing and training is huge. From day one Putin's un- willing conscripts are treated abominably, and that's saying something!! Even Prigozhin speaks about the Russian military as being unfit for purpose. Conscripts get 2 mth's basic training, ( if that) then off to war with them. Poorly equipped with weapons, supplies or even with medicine, many of these things their own Families have to buy for them with their own money. So no, its no quite the same as saying thet are all the same as being one on one. Then they are pitted against men who are literally fighting for the lives of their very families and home land. While Russians are fighting for a madman's dream, and unwillingly at that. Maybe 2/3 + Russian troops to one Ukrainian in terms of quality and motivation? Prigozhin also said that many more Russians were needed, but this should have been done 5 or 6 mth's ago, and now it may well be too late.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭weisses

So why not verify before posting some random fire

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭zv2

Could be sabotage. I can't verify it but I posted it because people can be on the lookout for developments if they like.

“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” — Voltaire

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭zv2

“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” — Voltaire

• Registered Users Posts: 3,278 ✭✭✭thomil

Not related, German news outlets reporting that this was a fire on a construction site in Hamburg’s “Docklands”, the HafenCity. Fire has since been put out and all reports indicate a simple accident.

Good luck trying to figure me out. I haven't managed that myself yet!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,065 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

And we don't necessarily believe all that we see in videos, from either side, do we?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,460 ✭✭✭Markcheese

I wonder if their isr gear can pick up a ducking and diving ka52 from high above , and send info down to something like a stormer or avenger ,

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 16,574 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Our source in the OP said that Zaluzhny refused to launch a counteroffensive without F-16s and long-range missiles, but the Office of the President decided not to wait for the decision of the Commander-in-Chief and held a bid, which identified three main commanders:

Alexander Syrsky - commander of the Ground Forces of the Armed Forces of Ukraine, commander of the operational-strategic grouping of troops "Khortitsa".

Oleksandr Komarenko - Head of the Operational Directorate of the Headquarters of the Command of the Ground Forces of the Armed Forces of Ukraine.

Alexander Tarnavsky - commander of the operational-strategic grouping of troops "Tavria".

The counteroffensive is commanded by Syrsky, who lost Bakhmut a month ago and takes Kleshcheevka by storm for 4 weeks.

I wonder is there something to this. Zaluzhny has definitely taken a step back in the last month.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,574 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Bakhmut .. Southern flank ,, 09.06

In a matter of hours, the 57th Motorized Rifle Brigade lost a section 1200 m wide and up to 180 m deep.

To Andreevka no more than 3.5 km.

anxious

• Registered Users Posts: 23,668 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

I'm encouraged to see Ukraine soften on negotiation as the only route out of this avoiding a total annexation of the country. They've put up a brave fight but reality is dawning quickly now and if they don't want to end up in a catastrophic situation they need to go for the only way out available. They want to preserve as much territorial integrity as possible - going in to negotiations with a capable standing army is far preferable to the alternative with Russia on the offensive. I'd confidently predict no negotiation at that point.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭strathspey

I'm not happy about this at all. I want to hear about russians dying in their excrement.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭rolling boh

It would be a very bitter pill for the Ukrainians to negotiate anything with Putin plus he won't keep to any agreement or even whoever follows him would most likely break any deal as well .I was always fearful that the sheer numbers Putin could call on would make defeating them back and out of Ukraine very difficult . I hope it happens but I am slightly less optimistic for Ukraine than I was a while back .

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭200mg

There is a 3rd option on the destroyed APC tank. Blue on blue. Commander got ahead of pre ordered artillery clearing of mines. They could have been doing that then let sappers out to clear any that did not get taken out. That's even if it's true. Ofc it's not the most reliable way to clear but NATO could have specific rounds that we don't know about to help with that.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

Just remind yourself that every day where the mighty Russia fails to crush the puny corrupt Ukraine is a grim failure. Even if Ukraine are unable to remove them from their territory, its still highly embarrassing for Russias military. They are currently on 2/10, and at best they come out of this counteroffensive still a 2/10.

And if Ukraines counteroffensive is successful....

• Registered Users Posts: 23,668 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Bitter pill it may but even Ukraine's own propaganda outlets are struggling to put a brave face on the situation today. Not to say it can't change of course but the losses Ukraine will take attacking Russia's positions, the loss of manpower and experience is so horrendous that I really don't see this lasting long until we get to the negotiating table.

If they leave it too long then I worry they'll look back on these days with serious regrets having lost a hell of a lot more.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭rolling boh

We don't know the the true figures for losses but it's certain that any offensive is extremely costly in lives and equipment .We heard all that when Russia was on the attack but the shoe is on the other foot now and it's the Ukrainians that will suffer heavy losses unfortunately. How long it can go on I've no idea just hope Ukraine can beat the odds .

And for balance, according to Newsweek the first day was not exactly one sided... 37 artillery systems, + 13 Tanks. 1010 Russian's killed, to bring the weekly total to 4860. No mention of wounded.

Big Spike In Russian Losses As Counteroffensive Begins—Ukraine (newsweek.com)

As I see it, the Russian's will be driven out of Ukraine, all of it, even if this counter offensive will not be successful. ( But I don't believe this will be the case) Russia will be bled white Blue and red trying to hold it. Trying to hold Afghanistan brought them to bankruptcy ( and it was a much bigger state back then, the USSR) and ended only when they left Afghanistan. The war in Ukraine is cost wise of a much greater magnitude than the Afghan one. If he has not started to do it yet, Putin will soon have to start borrowing from his fair weather friends, the Chinese. And that will mean effectively handing over chunks of Russian infrastructure and realm estate. Maybe that will be a bone too big even for Vladimir Putin to swallow? ( or get past his Silovicki? )

• Registered Users Posts: 12,544 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

I'm more encouraged by the fact that it's you reporting this because your ability to read the data in front of you is rarely anything to worry about. I'm still waiting on your snowfall!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,717 ✭✭✭✭briany

As things stand, Russian strategy appears to be to dig in and try to withstand whatever the AFU can throw at them over the Summer. Whatever money Russia has to spend on this war right now will be spent on shovels and missiles, but not much to fight a mobile offensive campaign. AFU need to get something out of the next 3 months or so - no less than cutting the Russian zone of occupation in two. If the Russians get the double whammy of the land corridor going and finding that their prepared defences don't hold up, then they will come to the table with far humbler proposals for peace.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,435 ✭✭✭macraignil

Just in case you ( and Kermit ) haven't seen the link I posted, here's the gist of it " according to Newsweek it was not exactly one sided... Day 1= Killed / Destroyed total's from from the Russian side, 37 artillery systems, + 13 Tanks. 1010 Russian's killed, to bring the weekly total to 4860. No mention of wounded. "

So no rolling boh, it's far from over, If Ukraine keeps killing and destroying as they are doing, at nearly 5'000 KIA Russians per week ( + wounded), then those figures are unsustainable for Putin, and bear in mind that he's already scraping the barrel for manpower. Having the Nrs is one thing, but poorly equipped and trained, not to mention badly led is a pretty useless army too. Good only for suicide attack's where they take a bullet, and identify the Ukrainian defense position's.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,901 ✭✭✭✭josip

There's been a noticeable increase in pro Russian posts in the past week. The usual kind of, "here's some destroyed Ukrainian equipment, I hope the soldiers got out ok." It's reassuring to see. There are a lot of pro-Russian posters worried. And they're not worried for the wellbeing of Ukrainians.

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭brocbrocach

That's right, all past experience has shown that attacking russian positions never works. I'd say you cried rivers worrying about losing negotiating power that time too.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,136 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

grumpyperson threadbanned

• Registered Users Posts: 18,502 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

It's amazing the similarity with Stalingrad. Resist the enemy in the city for the winter. Then let the enemy capture it as they are giving up. Then encircle them.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭AngeloArgue

Can't stand all these doom posters.

Ukraine has captured territory and established a bridgehead in which to fan out from of. What we're seeing is aggressive probing attacks. Yes, it is costing some machinery that is placed at the very front. They are identifying the weak points in the Russian front. The actual counteroffensive is going to be much more monstrous and devastating

• Registered Users Posts: 4,266 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

• Registered Users Posts: 18,502 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

We are a week to 10 day at the most I to the offensive or offensives which every you prefer. It will take 3-4 weeks to start seeing any results. When a final break through happens the advances could/should be rapid.

A lot will depend on Russian losses. There positions should be visible to the UA from satellite intelligence. The problem for the Russians is when a breach happens is to stop a collapse like what happened last year.

Slava Ukrainii

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,634 ✭✭✭RoyalCelt

Ultimately it's up to Ukraine and I don't see them ever giving up. Even if the war drag's on 10 years. As long as western countries back Ukraine economically and military including sanctions Russia will not win. That's whether it takes 5 year's, 10 or 20 ultimately they Will lose.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement