Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Russia - threadbanned users in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,409 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

• Registered Users Posts: 3,751 ✭✭✭zv2

“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” — Voltaire

• Registered Users Posts: 3,511 ✭✭✭wassie

...but also hundreds of thousands now widowed mail order brides for their population that has a serious male imbalance.

Won't happen...The vast majority of the Chinese population regard themselves as belonging to the same race (Han chinese). Anyone of mixed ethnicity is considered and outsider and will never be fully accepted into Chinese culture as one of their own.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,283 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

The rate of Ukrainian advancement sounds like an absolute rout in places. Once they've gotten through these defences that Russia has all year to prepare it's probably only going to get faster.

Remains to be seen how they deal with the more built up areas and cities.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,634 ✭✭✭RoyalCelt

That sounds very racist to me.

Anyway Ukraine making gains and they'll continue. A large area will be liberated and the frontline moved up but the question is what happens when they reach the main main fortifications.

Either way it's a positive development because every km they move forward is a km the artillery and HIMARS move forward.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,009 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

Lads, don't pretend that you can definitively spot Photoshopped or AI images, and don't pretend that checkers can definitively spot them either. You and they can spot some, you and they can't spot others, and you and they will report false positives.

I've been working professionally with Photoshop since 1994 in graphic design, photo retouching and processing, and compositing, and while there are of course tell-tale signs of cloning, compositing, the liquify tool, etc. a lot of what people claim to be those tell-tale signs in an image can be compression artifacts, noise anomalies, low resolution. In my view, that image is too low quality to make any kind of determination for it's veracity - in isolation - either way.

I ran that image though the manipulation detection tool Forensically, that uses Error Level Analysis, Clone Detection, Component Analysis and a few other methods to detect photo manipulation. It shows no manipulation at all for this image. Now before anyone gets too excited, I also ran an image where I used the new AI tools in the latest Photoshop Beta to remove two birds from a picture I took myself of them fighting on a lake. It reported some cloning - but in places in the image that actually were not touched at all. The bits of the image where the birds were actually removed passed undetected. What this tells me is that these tools are completely unreliable when AI image manipulation is used.

I then ran the image though Maybe's AI Art Detector on Huggingface. It came back with it being 76% artificial. Now before anyone gets too excited, I then ran some images that I 100% know have not been AI generate or manipulate in any way though it. One of them came back as 91% AI - even though I know for a fact it is a 100% legitimate documentary photograph. AI image detection tools are unreliable.

This image is very low resolution and it looks like it was originality noisy as hell, then de-noised and over-sharpened, and there's a hell of a lot of compression artifacts in it - all of which you might expect from the low spec video camera in a surveillance device, but which could also be used after the fact to homogenise the image and disguise AI generation, cloning or compositing. It can only be taken on face value, and you'd need a higher quality image, the original video clip, or other independent images of the same scene to verify or discredit it.

I'm not saying the image is fake, I'm not saying is isn't. What I'm saying is that anyone who - when looking at that image in total isolation - makes a determination one way or the other is relying on confirmation bias more than any possible objective analysis, because the image in itself isn't high enough quality to do any objective analysis.

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭Baba Yaga

just looking at that clip of putin above...never realised he was such a short arse! definitly a case of short arse syndrm going on there!!!

"They gave me an impossible task,one which they said I wouldnt return from...."

ps wheres my free,fancy rte flip-flops...?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,819 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

Fake or not, it says an awful lot about how bad the Russian defence is that they have to recycle different views of the same incident at the same location several days ago, over and over and over again to convince us that Ukraine is being "hammered". It's almost as if they have absolutely no other footage of things going badly for the Ukrainians.

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭Seanmadradubh

The OTT reaction to some destroyed Ukr armour really shows how easy it is to influence some peoples perception of reality.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,438 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

It appears now there's a threat of an ammonium plant in Crimea being targeted by the Russians.

Just because...divilment.

Chatter is also children have been moved to Crimea from the occupied areas.

Hopefully nothing happens. But Putin's army could be trying the or else card again.

An explosion at the plant could have ammonia gas covering the region.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,914 ✭✭✭.Donegal.

I remember a story in the paper about 10+ years ago. He was getting his picture taken with a group of women, they were quite tall, they were banned from wearing high heels for the picture.

The Sherman was the worst tank ever. Did well in the far east though where it could hide in the dense growth.

“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” — Voltaire

"When we see two or three of those brigades (around 500-750 armored vehicles) focused on a narrow front, it will then be possible to say that the main attack has probably started and where it’s happening."

Reality check.

Ah now, you're just falling for British propaganda, it's understood these days Napoleon was short by todays standards but in 18/19th century France he was average height, and a real Master Strategist (sorry Darth).

• Registered Users Posts: 13,902 ✭✭✭✭josip

Very brave of you making such an unequivocal statement about the Sherman on this thread.

This lad goes on a bit, so if you want to, you can skip to 1:15 (1h 15m, not 1m 15s 🙂)

Post edited by josip on

• Registered Users Posts: 40,006 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

because the image in itself isn't high enough quality to do any objective analysis.

Of course you can, my objective analysis is that on the balance of probability given the variables we have it is more than likely Russian Propaganda.

The above picture also fit your criteria of objective analysis.

But again using logic, common sense and variables we do know, we can on the basis of probability objectively say unfortunately there isn't a dinosaur living in a lake in Scotland.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭weisses

• Registered Users Posts: 4,885 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

Straight is the question (unfortunately).

I am unsure if I would trust the Republican party on this any more. A lot of them (new breed of politician coming up following template set by Trump, and some of the media "thought leaders") don't particularly seem to care about democracy now.

Hopefully, a gamed election to get the right result for the Republican party (I suppose somehow through technicalities and using control of the legal system in key places rather than honest to god corrupt ballot stuffing/riggging!?) is still a bit of a bit of "black swan", and the US is not that far gone as yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,009 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

My post was specifically about the definitive claims of cloning, AI generation and compositing that have been made in this thread about the picture. There is no evidence of them, and the image is unsuitable for such analysis, and I explained my reasoning on this in detail.

The Nessie picture actually bolsters my point - it is evidence of nothing. It's not evidence of a dinosaur in the lake, and it's not evidence of any specific mode of fakery. It - in isolation - is entirely indeterminate.

That either image, or the situation they claim to represent, can potentially be dismissed for other reasons is an entirely separate, and indeed valid, argument.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,325 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

Well, I figure if it’s worth saying, it’s worth using a dozen words where most folks would use four. Plus add a tangent…

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Turkish drone strike on Russian forces in Syria this could get interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,409 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

If accurate, that's definitely going to add spice into the mix today. So far just that source reporting on it.

All Eyes On Rafah

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

The issues begin when they start losing those vehicles on a regular basis and they will lose armor in numbers,they don't have Air cover, air defenses and artillery capable of keeping up with the various advances ,those losses on the 6th was only the start,it's going to get worse as more and more vehicles get brought to the the counter offensive, lieing and downplaying losses won't help things nor while crying fake news on images of destroyed Ukrainian tanks and armor,

We have one genuine expert and historian on this thread,

The majority are amateurs basically copy and pasting tweets ,

But Ukraine are taking losses now and will do until they push the Russians out or face a stalemate .

Zero point denying it if only for likes

• Registered Users Posts: 11,065 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

What's AI got to do with it, other than it's the current buzzword beloved by social media? I work with graphics a fair bit and well used to image manipulation - nothing AI about it, it's done with human intelligence and software. Agree though with Gregor, the quality isn't great on this - so whilst it certainly has the strong look of a manipulated image, it's probably best not to state that it's real evidence of anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,065 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

"We have one genuine expert and historian on this thread"

And which one are you?? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,187 ✭✭✭ZeroThreat

Well if all the abrams/challengers/leopards get knocked out or captured, that's going to reflect poorly on the reputation of western arms manufacturers.

Do they not have self-propelled artillery now to keep up with armour, or do they still rely on towed guns?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,036 ✭✭✭timmyntc

More reliable source here

FWIW Visegrad24 are known to post complete fabrications - then when called out on it, delete the tweets and block anyone who draws attention to it.

Plenty more reliable correspondents for Syria/Turkey/Mid East than a Polish right wing fanboy.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Quantum123

So do you think they will strike close to Tokmak for an initial push to Melitopol, I do honestly hope the ukranian army crushes them and breaks through those defensive lines.

If Ukraine breaks through those lines its even more impressive considering Russia moved soldiers out of Kherson since the russians blew the damn.

Dramatic video. No comment on what it is. May be Nova Kakhovka.

Post edited by zv2 on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,110 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

You really gave that first post a lot of time eh!

(Honestly I'm just grateful a zombie account isn't posting pro-Kremlin propaganda for once)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement