Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Russia - threadbanned users in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,720 ✭✭✭✭briany

IF Russia were to use a nuke of any size, and got away with it, it would give a green light to every government who possesses them to do the same. China can nuke Taiwan, North Korea can nuke South Korea, Israel can nuke Iran. It would be unbelievably dangerous waters the whole world would be sailing into.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,828 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Similarly to the property market, its all about location location location.

If you drop any nuclear weapon on a city it's going to kill a huge amount of people. Even small yield 'tactical' ones.

The 'tactical' part comes into effect with the ability to use them away from cities in battlefield type scenarios with a relatively localised effect. If used correctly they shouldn't impact Russia itself. (Until of course Nato rains down ICBMs on them!)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,743 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

I doubt even in defeat he would give that order, even if he did I can't see those tasked with carrying out the order agreeing to do so. Those who enjoy the trappings of power and are sane won't engage in a course of action that will lead to their imprisonment or perhaps demise. Putin would be removed from the stage if he gave such an order.

• Just to note as well that Hiroshima was an airburst. If Putin was feeling really vindictive he could groundburst a nuke rendering an area downwind utterly uninhabitable for many years. And if that fallout drifted over a NATO member would it be an article 5 scenario?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,110 ✭✭✭threeball

Whenever I see these clips I always think it's like watching 2 puesdo-intellectuals in a pub at 3 in the morning having a political argument. Full of confidence in their points, yet incoherent, rambling and unable to stay on any particular subject for more than 3 or 4 paragraphs. How anyone could watch or listen to that shìt every night without getting a migraine is beyond me.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,617 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

If there was a tactical nuke involved, NATO would likely respond by destroying every bit of russian equipment and personnel in Ukraine using conventional weaponry, sanctions against russia would be immediate and total, countries collaborating with russia would also be targeted for sanctions.

Right now, there will be a tactical retreat at some point and ending of the special operation (with objectives achieved no doubt) that will leave russia with it's current power structure and then a slow re-build on the world stage, maybe in exchange for sanctions against military buildup (they'd have very little left that's still effective so will just be reliant on their nuclear deterrent in the future).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭Field east

I think that they are hilarious. They would challenge the Joe Duffy Show for comedy, etc, etc. so be careful what you wish for.n

During the height of the troubles in the North, a docker in for a pint - or maybe his breakfast in Dublin docks was seen reading a Northern newspaper supportive of the Unionist side. An acquaintance of asked him “ what are you reading that ‘rag’ for and the reply was “ It’s. Important to see the other man’s’ point of view”

I assume that such programmes in Russia are all part of the message that Official Russia is trying to get across to the unsuspecting cohort of the population

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭Bombaby1974

"Africa is more than precious furs"

That just sums up Russian atitude perfectly

• Registered Users Posts: 17,930 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

This legend of a plant in Poland constantly repairing tanks and sending them back into battle

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,325 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

I am not so convinced. They were quite willing to go to war with Ukraine, hardly a rational act in itself, and military processes tend to be fairly hard-wired to reinforce that sort of obedience to orders thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,416 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Putin is not the only person in Russia. While he personally might consider trying to take the world with him if he is going to die anyway, you need to remember that there will be people behind him who would be happy to step into his shoes should he be disposed.

Those people would likely prefer for the world not to be nuked when they themselves would be on the cusp of getting into the top seats.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,828 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

I think you also missed the post I was referring to and point I was trying to make.

I was responding to someone who was saying it would be crazy for Russia to use nuclear weapons due to the proximity of Ukraine to Russian cities. (Ie that the use of all nuclear weapons in Ukraine would have an impact physically on Russian lands and cities)

I was trying to point out that smaller nuclear weapons would not.

It's was nothing to do with political escalation. I am completely aware of the escalation towards MAD in such a scenario.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,555 ✭✭✭amandstu

What point are you making?(why did you quote me?)

Post edited by amandstu on

• Registered Users Posts: 5,660 ✭✭✭storker

"They're kind of imperial about their anti-imperialism,"

Translation: "They're imperialists."

A policy of "The enemy of my enemy is my friend" can work well when one is following such a policy in a pragmatic way e.g. co-operation with Russia in WW2. Bone-headed stupidity creeps in though when it's applied with ideological blinkers on e.g. modern-day tankies who still cheerlead for Russia despite the fact that the current Russian mobocracy is not what the Soviet Union was, and even the Soviet Union in its heyday fell very short of being the Shangi-La they sold it as.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,743 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Even if the military leadership is that brainwashed, which I have strong doubts about, I think those in the security services and civilian leadership, who enjoy being alive and the trappings of power ,would ensure it did not happen. I think your own security services would have a significant role ensuring it did not happen either. As the risk of not acting in that scenario would lead to grave consequences. I would imagine it has been conveyed in the clearest terms to Lavrov and others around Putin that letting off a nuke would lead to the complete decimation of the Russian military and the end of Putin and his regime. I really doubt the US are bluffing about this either,because others are watching and inaction would send a message to them that you can get away with nuclear blackmail .

The Chinese have likely told Putin that letting off a nuke would lead to the end of their special relationship without limits too.

Post edited by nacho libre on

• Registered Users Posts: 12,413 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

That bridge is absolutely fcuked.

This is going to make Russian resupply even more tricky. Say it makes them even more nervous about the Kerch bridge.

All Eyes On Rafah

• Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭purplepanda

Russian imperialist adventures in Africa go back a long way, compete with the usual incompetence being involved!

https://www.aljazeera.com/amp/opinions/2023/5/24/how-russia-tried-to-colonise-africa-and-failed

• Registered Users Posts: 11,444 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Chinese companies were given 50 year leases on thousands of acres in the Far East of Russia.

Politicians of the war mongering type in Russia in 2015 were complaining it'll give China an excuse for military intervention when those 50 years are up having so many Chinese people on the land in Russia.

Russia learned this excuse from Hitler with the German diaspora throughout Europe and Russia.

Putin still granted the leases in the Far East however. So Chinese companies logging with North Korean labour and tilling and farming with Chinese families goes today.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,754 ✭✭✭zv2

“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” — Voltaire

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,110 ✭✭✭threeball

They're hilarious for a 10min excerpt. Watch a 2hr show for 5 nights a week and you'd go to a dark room with a bottle of whiskey and a revolver.

I would love if every time a report mentions the Russian Special Operation the preface it as "Day X, of the 3 day Special Operation"

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭dennis72

It would be a dead reporter who might ask what day number is it into the special military operation?

• Even the Soviet era of Russia displayed overt and aggressive imperialism. No sooner had the various ethnic regions who had declared independence when Tsarism collapsed, than the Bolsheviks reinvaded these newly formed countries and annexed them. The occupation of the Baltic States completed this process in 1940. Stalinist Communism had a racist undercurrent with the mass deportations largely determined by what Stalin judged as 'unreliable' ethnic groups. Also you had the policy of 'Russification' which forced the use of Russian as an everyday language as well as the large scale settlement of Russians in the various republics. Latvia for example was almost destroyed as a nation by 1989, with Latvians only constituting 52% of the population of that state.

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭Blarney_man

You asked for more information on Russian drone flying over 3 NATO member states and falling in almost the city center of a capital of country which is NATO and EU member, I gave you more information

• Registered Users Posts: 3,425 ✭✭✭Dubh Geannain

Sunday Times article about a Russian conscript (from Moscow) who's diary which recovered as part of the push in Zaporizhzhia. They even contacted his family to verify it was him.

Over 33 pages, Taktashov details the Russian army’s lack of organisation and the indifference of his commanders. He considers killing himself and his comrades, and makes plans to break his own leg to get sent home. He writes about how he does not want to kill anyone, and of the terror of never seeing his family again, and dying alone in a foreign land.

“I am scared, my nerves are hammering and I write with tears in my eyes,” he wrote on November 30, his second day near the front line. “I want to come back home to you. Pray for me. I love you all so much.”

Taktashov would never see his family again. On a hot afternoon this month, fighters from an advancing Ukrainian unit on the southern front found the notebook in the pocket of a dead Russian soldier: a young man who resembled Taktashov. The soldiers gave the notebook to The Sunday Times and we discovered and verified the identity of the author and those around him.

Paywall bypass link -

‘I don’t want to kill anyone’: diary of dead Russian soldier reveals life on front line (archive.ph)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,720 ✭✭✭✭briany

For the sake of the many more like him on the front line right now, Mr. Putin should definitely retreat his troops back to pre-2022 positions at the least. End the madness and let these people go home to their loved ones.

I had replied to @Discodog who posted

"Surely the Russians should be worried if anything can hit Moscow ? If a drone can then what else ?"

What has the drone that reached Croatia got to do with this recent attack on Moscow?

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭Blarney_man

• Advertisement

I wanted to know what that had to do with the previous posts concerning the attack on Moscow.

This is called a thread for a reason .It is not supposed to be a load of disconnected postings.

Why did you bring up the drone in Croatia?

What did you see as as the relevance?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement