Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Russia - threadbanned users in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭weisses

• Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭AerLingus747

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭Seanmadradubh

You are so obsessed with lines on a map you can't see the bigger picture. Ukraine are slowly degrading the Russians ability to fight, which on top of a serious morale problem will allow the Ukrainians to make major gains once they breach the main Russian defence line at some point. This will then lead to a rolling collapse of the entire Russian war machine in Ukraine.

Even if the above does't happen asking for Ukraine to start negotiating now when they are getting stronger every day and the Russians are getting weaker is Stupid, Dumb, Senseless, Idiotic, Laughable and Ludicrous.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,291 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Some confirmation that the urkrainian enemy numbers release daily have been accurate. Seems they've been underreporting:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭Akabusi

The comments in the video say they are insinuating that is what Ukraine has lost. I'd agree that this is more propaganda, why would they suddenly start talking up their own losses. It would be a direct challenge to Putin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭wildefalcon

Apologies, I was unclear. I meant to say Ukraine doesn't want peace as a slave nation to the Russians.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭rogber

Love the logic. "Defences will be breached, resistance will collapse.... but it also might not". And then you call other posters senseless and idiotic.

Fact is, none of us can predict the future, but what's clear is that while fighting continues there are also talks going on behind the scenes with various parties, reliable news sources have confirmed this again and again. It remains to be seen what combination of weapons and negotiations will end this thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭20silkcut

Was watching a Russian YouTuber recently. He said casualty figures in Russia are no longer published. I think the official figure is something like 5000. It’s just not mentioned anymore. There was a group of mothers who were agitating for information on their missing sons and they got listed as a foreign agent and were silenced.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,519 ✭✭✭roosterman71

Talk of negotiations gaining traction lately. Sure sign things are going to shite for the Russian army

• Registered Users Posts: 3,754 ✭✭✭zv2

“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” — Voltaire

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,861 ✭✭✭Rawr

The Russian Federation are clearly at fault in this conflict. They invaded territory they had no business being on. They commited obsene war crimes while engaging in their invasion and they have proven themselves to be untrustworthy with regards to treaties, one of which they broke by invading Ukraine.

They are expending their usable armor, and manpower at an alarming rate, and they are isolated from meaningful resupply. It is only a question of time before their positions within Ukraine become untenable. Russia have gambled badly and have shown their hand. Their armies are a mere shadow of their Soviet past, and their economy is drawfed by any given meduim-sized EU nation. Ireland of all places apparenly can out-produce Russia on exports.

The Russians will need to deal, but that deal will be about what they will have to pay back in order to be let back in from the cold.

• How do we interact with Russia afterward? We set the terms, that's how. They can behave themselves or forget about accessing the advantages of the civilised world.
    • How do we come to terms with the first border redrawn in Europe by force? We don't.
    • How do we guarantee Ukraine's defense? They join NATO and are armed to a NATO standard.

The Russian Federation is a spent and decaying force that resorted to bringing Nazism back into the 21st Century in a morbid attempt to stave off their exinction at their own hands. We do not treat them like a rational actor until they get their act together.

The Saudi Arabia talks are one example. Russia not directly involved, but its good friend China was "keeping an eye" on it, so you can be sure word got back. We also know that in moments of acute crisis (the Wagner march) top level communications took place between US and Russian officials.

Anyone who thinks dialogue isn't happening at some level is extremely naive. What the content of that dialogue is is another matter. But of course there are talks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭Field east

You are 100% wrong. BOTH SIDES want peace BUT UNDER TOTALLY , TOTALLY , TOTALLY DIFFERENT CONDITIONS.

Just in case you are new here what , I understand, UKR wants are as follows:-—

(1) -the complete control over its own country - including Donbas, Luhansk, Kherson and Crimea.

-(2) that it is recognised as a sovereign state.

(3)-that it will never INTERFEERED with , EVER, in any shape or form in any area - including security, political , cultural, social and economic areas including its interest in joining NATO and the EU

-(4) that Russia COMPLETELY withdraw immediately from the first point above that Russia pay for the complete restoration of the physical and psychological damage caused and restore UKr back to the way it was pre 2014

-(5)that Russia goes through the internationally recognised channels if it has any issue with Ukr.

(6)-that Russia fully compensate Ukr for income lost at all levels - including destroyed grain, manufacturing capacity lost-

(7)-that Russia return all children removed from all of area referred to in point one above and that Russia fully pay for their psychological state being properly addressed and that the necessary treatment be promptly provided and paid for by Russia.

(8)-that all mines and other unexploded devices be promptly removed from Ukr -see first point above that all agreements between countries are no longer in place - are cancelled /null and void

And do’nt forget who started this Special Military Operation. My apologies but there are no prizes for guessing the right answer even though it is a SIX MARK Question !!!!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,861 ✭✭✭Rawr

Typical bit of selective nit picking of Russian history by Medvelev there.

Kind of leaving out the mulitple times Ukraine was a seperate nation (often crushed violently by the Russians) or ignoring how the Kievan Rus (an 8th Century precursor to Ukraine) not only existed before Russia was a thing, but at it's height contained a vast chunk of what became Russia, right up to Finland.

Medvelav also left out another entity between the Russian Empire and 1991. It rhymes with "Moviet Munion", but I guess he was's paying attention for that bit of History Class either (or his surrondings for the first couple decades of his life.)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭Economics101

I love this from Medvedev: "...Ukraine did not exist as a seoarate country before 1991. It was past of the Russian Empire". On that basis how many countries did not exist before some fairly recent dates? They were parts of the British, French, Spanish, Portuguese or other empires.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,887 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

I can't see any kind of comprehensive negotiations with Russia, unless situation changes.

Ukraine's offensive may not have achieved what they hoped as yet, but I think Russia would have to be doing much better than they are for Ukraine to be willing to negotiate loss of large amounts of their country.

I believe that Peskov comment (you posted/referred to) is mostly a lie (they wanted all of Ukraine, and they still want all of Ukraine eventually). There is possibly one grain of truth, in that it may expose that Russia would be satisfied with a ceasefire agreement that will halt most of the war damage to the military/economy/society and fixes the lines, letting them keep what they hold as of today. Putin can call that a "win" for Russia (they may give up on other demands they have put out of demilitarising Ukraine, stopping it from joining NATO or eventually joining the EU).

Russia is going to be a pariah in the West (i.e. ignored) for a long time. In fact I expect the interactions with the West will reduce further and this cut off will just continue to deepen. There's still a load of commerce going on and Western companies hedging their bets operating there which haven't been forced to stop as yet, but that will happen eventually.

If Ukraine doesn't recognise these "new territories" and annexation of Crimea I don't think too many others will. Probably (edit: assuming Russia keeps some/all of the territory) not even their "friend" China will ever recognise it officially.

It happens that a war loses heat and there's no big negotiations that resolve everything. Afair noone except Turkey themselves recognise the puppet in Turkish Cyprus or way they have moved a load of "planters" in there to better control it. There is no sign that mess will be resolved any time soon. N. and S. Korea are still armed to the teeth and pointing weapons at each other across a DMZ with N. Korea sometimes kidnapping people, launching drones over the border, testing missiles etc. + waving their nuclear willy about.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,206 ✭✭✭zig

Yea, by his logic, Ireland still belongs to the UK. We did not exist until 1921.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,455 ✭✭✭jmreire

I'd say the same for Russians, but they do not have choice...and if proof were needed, you only have to look at the nrs that left Russia to avoid mobilization. Bear in mind that the ones who left, were the ones who had the means to do so. and its still going on, Putin recently signed new laws making it crime to leave to avoid your duty to the motherland, and these laws carry serious penalty's bot in terms of cash fines and prison terms

• Registered Users Posts: 8,455 ✭✭✭jmreire

Maybe not now, at this moment, but down the road? For sure Ukraine will join NATO, when the conditions are fulfilled. Same with the EU, and the EU will want a strong bulwark against any future Russian aggression. Russia can never be trusted again, ever, Not under any circumstances.

No one's disputing that Medvedev and all the others are vile individuals. All I'm saying is there are lines of communication, there always are in these conflicts.

Look at our own island: even in the darkest days of the Troubles the IRA and Thatcher government had direct contact about the conflict.

Conflicting sides talk. Finding basis for peace is a very different issue.

• Advertisement

You really didn't think that response through did you.

You see unlike some posters here, I am not, nor do I consider myself to be, omniscient. Therefore I can make a prediction and also admit that I could be wrong, I'm surprised you find that a difficult concept to understand.

Also there is a difference between calling a person idiotic and calling something they said idiotic, again not a difficult concept to understand.

Finally, commenting on my saying "maybe they will, but I could be wrong" and you de facto calling me sensless and idiotic for it and in the very next line saying "none of us can predict the future" isn't that smart.

Have a Nice Day.

I totally support NATO and EU membership for Ukraine but let's face it neither look likely in the next few years. But yes, as you say, Russia can't be trusted, certainly not in its current form. Which does make negotiations very difficult

Alternatively, if you're not trying to predict the future, avoid using the word "will" so much.

Not that hard to understand either. Beats backtracking later

• Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭AerLingus747

illusory superiority is something you overlooked during your verbose retort.

I reckon the translator must have got her/his tenses or whatever mixed up. If not then I expect Putin can explain the stats to his advantage

ABSOLUTLY UNBELIEVABLE from Medvedev. Maybe it’s ok because , quiet often when a Russian says something they mean the opposite. The only problem with that strategy is that they never tell us which is it.

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭eoinbn

Seems like she was saying that Ukrainian deaths(or at least obituaries) were 284k.

The figures that Ukraine release are for Russian casualties. Numerous western sources support this.

• Registered Users Posts: 696 ✭✭✭I.am.Putins.raging.bile.duct

When the UK had 383,700 military deaths including from the colonies in all of WW2 just shows the magnitude of this calamity for russia

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,416 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Does it say there were 284k obituries posted to social media, or that obituries for 284k were posted to social media i.e. if two people posted something about the same person, was that counted as one or two? I got the impression it was the number posted, not the number posted about

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement