Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Russia - threadbanned users in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,930 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

That "organised" manpower by the Russians is apparently under immense strain moving to respond to Ukr attacks along the line.

Interesting tells from Russian mil bloggers here

• Registered Users Posts: 16,743 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

The cluster munitions have likely played a decisive role in that. Also the hitting of key Russian logistic hubs with Himar and Storm Shadow missiles has probably effected Russia's ability to get military equipment to the front line

• Registered Users Posts: 18,200 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

I just see it as a giant game of TicTacToe , just a series of moves and counter moves going nowhere. The Russians simply had too much time to build their defensive positions, The Ukrainians dont seem confident that they can use their armor and are left with unsupported troops taking some fields and villages. Its mid Aug now, so the weather will start to turn in a month to 6 weeks

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭mike_cork

• Registered Users Posts: 3,094 ✭✭✭Brief_Lives

as if anyone outside of Russia believes that propaganda.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,412 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Ah you see various people (previous posters here in different guise) comments on the journal, etc, fair few tankies still around.

All Eyes On Rafah

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,339 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

TheJournal. Wow I can't think of another major outlet whose content skews so one way (socially liberal) while the comments veer toward the polar opposite. And yeah, with the Ukraine war the sections are flooded with malcontents.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,702 ✭✭✭firemansam4

The only thing I would hope is that this may be playing out a little bit more like just before Russia withdrew from Kherson.

There was some pretty downbeat assessments about the progrees being made then, and Ukrainian losses seemed quite bad. But Ukraine kept wearing away at Russian logistics until Russia was forced to make their withdrawal.

It seems progress is very slow now, but Russia have been loosing significant amounts of artillery, and their logistics again being heavily targeted. Maybe when things get to a certain stage and if they make the breakthrough they need then things may pick up pace much faster.

However I say this more in hope than anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭AerLingus747

Humanisation at it's finest, Putin has a heart

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

The timed incendiary devices used by the IRA within the Russian sate would enought to rattle nerves.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,751 ✭✭✭zv2

It seems that being an uber-bombast is part of Russian military doctrine.

Here's a bit of karma

“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” — Voltaire

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,136 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

AerLingus747 threadbanned

• Registered Users Posts: 8,052 ✭✭✭Guffy

• Registered Users Posts: 3,861 ✭✭✭Rawr

My hope is that there is a critical tipping point that Russia will eventually reach when they simply can’t maintain their positions anymore. Then it just becomes a matter of time before they must pull back.

Ukraine are still going to have a hard slogg at this, and they’re going to hurt a lot for long while yet. But their army is motivated. It is populated by men and women who know why they are fighting and in many cases are also motivated to become efficient professional soldiers. The supply of Western arms isn’t as good as you’d hope, but it is coming and it will keep coming.

The Russians are reduced to kidnapping their own troops off the street, giving them a week of firing blanks in Rostov, and then flinging them into a trench in Ukraine. Beyond some elite groups the Russian Army is now mostly made up of amature civilians wearing rotten Soviet surplus kit, and reduced to being meat-based obstacles to slow the AFU down. There is no strategy, or hope for relief. The Ukrainians are well able to kill them if they advance, and their own people may kill them if they dare retreat. Their only hope for life is to stumble into becoming a POW. This is not an “army” that can last forever, regardless of how many bodies you try to stuff in there.

A tipping point is coming. Might be this year, might be 2 years from now, but it will eventually happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,702 ✭✭✭firemansam4

Yea, I hope this is the case, the problem is the longer this goes on it is also having a toll on Ukranian forces, and civilians.

But maybe a few hopeful signs recently, Ukraine do seem to making a little more progress lately.

And also it's great to see that the sanctions might be starting to have more of an effect on the Russian economy which could play a huge part if this war drags on. We need to see it have a far greater impact yet though.

Im still of the opinion that the West/US need to do more in relation to supplying military aid to give Ukraine a better chance of driving the Russians off their land.

Most important that at least this support doesn't start getting less.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,455 ✭✭✭jmreire

Correct Horse Battery Staple just posted a link ( 100271 ) above, which might start the ball rolling amongst the Oligarchs'.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭SortingYouOut

I was thinking they'd be best training a few pilots and flying airliners into the Moscow CBD.

Beverly Hills, California

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

Simplicity is best. Dont over complicate it. If businesses were burning all over Russia as in Ukraine there might be a change in public mood.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭RoyalCelt

This guy is usually pretty conservative so good news.

Also the media especially American are ridiculous. They are way too negative when the going gets tough but then suddenly Ukraine takes a village and it's headlines of counter offensive making big gains. There's no middle ground with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭Virgil°

The mainstream media CNN, Fox and the likes are all about ratings and clicks. Some of the news they sell is of course truthful. But much of it is sensationalist nonsense. If you actually get past the headlines of the article and dig into what they actually say then the articles themselves end up disagreeing with the titles. It nonsense.

Take for example a recent article that was thrust upon us by our misery merchants on the thread.

Majority of Americans oppose more US aid for Ukraine.

Look at this headline. It's clearly trying to sell the alarmist idea that everything is awful. The Ukraine counter offensive is failing and Americans on the whole are getting fed up of the war and don't support Ukraine anymore.

However if you take a cursory glance at what the questions asked were this whole notion falls apart. When asked "Should we send MORE aid than we currently are?"

48% : Yes

51% : We've done enough

That is not a simple 51:48/No:Yes ratio. What they're doing is lumping in all the people who say the support for Ukraine is the correct amount with those who wish to decrease it. That is extremely disingenuous. And CNN fucken know it. But the good news headlines don't sell clicks unless the news is extremely dramatic.

Among that 51% of people polled is (and I don't have the figures admittedly , I just don't have the time in the day to be cross referencing this shite) probably again a majority who actually do support monetary and military aid to Ukraine as it stands. Even if it was only another 3%(6% of that half) that would still leave a majority of Americans supporting the current level or MORE aid to Ukraine. And it's almost certainly not gonna be as low as 3%.

But CNN can get away with it. Those with negative biases on here absolutely love soaking up the misery so they can feel vindicated. And those who support Ukraine get worried reading this travesty of reporting in their peripheral vision.

Then of course Russia absolutely love selling this muck back home as a win.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,751 ✭✭✭zv2

The main goal of Russia's foreign policy is to spread the Russian way of life and culture. We strive to teach others how to live while this is happening in our cities. And yet we are surprised that no one wants to accept our way of life voluntarily...

“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” — Voltaire

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Asdfgh2020

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭dennis72

Is it me? or has reporting from the 1000km front stopped, are we in stalemate, no longer a news interest or blackout.

Which ever billions spent needs results.

I have heard the fog of war expression but this dark clouds and all

A total ruble collapse would be an appetiser

Post edited by dennis72 on

• Registered Users Posts: 3,435 ✭✭✭macraignil

Still some reports coming out of Ukraine pushing miskovytes out of their country and moving forward slowly in places from what I have seen but progress is bound to be slow with the volume of mines deployed by putin's forces. Ukraine seems to be less inclined to use its troops like cannon fodder like putin so a breakthrough is very likely to take time to find. It is a long front line that is being probed for opportunities so I would not be surprised to see news of a breakthrough by Ukraine being found at any time and then it could be a swift colaps of what is left of putin's army in Ukriane. More importantly in my opinion for the long term outcome of the war, the forces of Ukraine seem to be maintaining good levels of attrition on putin's forces which will in time leave them incapable of holding on to the territory of Ukraine that they have tried to occupy:

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭dennis72

My focus is about the present and there being less media coveage is it dropping from its perch not advocating a change in strategies but would love a breakthrough especially the kersh bridge's final demise given the freedom the Russian navy has in the black sea and above to blockade Ukraine ports even threatening a turkish ship in Bulgaria ezz zone testing NATO again and again with no response, mq reaper downing needed one imo end of rant.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭prunudo

Russian officials doing dodgy things, well I never.

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭Become Death

Seems reasonable. In much the same way that not all muslims should be judged based on Charlie Hebdo etc, not all Russians should be shunned because of the war.

It's odd that this is a somewhat controversial stance.

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭Become Death

It's a valid one though. And it is worth repeating to counter what seems to be a very prevailing attitude of judging innocent people based purely on their nationality.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,475 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

If everyone is my brother, nobody is my brother. If my brother can invade my home, steal, plunder and rape, then nobody is my brother. Nothing reasonable about it. It strips 'brother' of any meaning.

Of course Russia should be shunned, sanctioned, boycotted.

They shouldn't get to go to sporting events as Team Russia, glorifying their nation, acting as if nothing is happening.

There has to be consequences for this illegal war, for the war crimes and atrocities. Signals from the rest of the world the conduct of their country is unacceptable.

Let's not forget earlier on the thread you were making utterly false insidious both sides comparisons between the 'tactics' of Russia in actively suppressing dissent and social norms in Western societies.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement