Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Russia - threadbanned users in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭TedBundysDriver

The counter offensive has failed, thus far. There is nothing "edgy" or pro Russian about stating that. We all wanted to see more progress and less Ukrainian deaths on the battlefield but that just hasn't happened. It's utterly dumbfounding that one poster on here is getting roundly attacked and getting called names for pointing this out.

No amount of hope, promises of weapons, ruble collapse etc.. can change this basic fact.

We've taken in two separate Ukrainian families thus far for short periods and provided them with a roof over their heads until they could get sorted for longer term accommodation but yeah i'll sit back awaiting the Russia bot or comrade comments from the Boards.ie know all's because im not on here pretending all is going swimmingly on the front line. And yes i do agree with a lot of Kermit's posts as i disagree with a lot also. Life isn't black and white.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,658 ✭✭✭storker

Not really. If you said something positive about the counter-offensive I wouldn't believe that either, such is your credibility deficit.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,658 ✭✭✭storker

There's a difference between acknowledging the slowness of progress in the operation, especially when compared with last year's counteroffensive, and claiming quite early on that the offensive "has failed" based on some set of hallucinated criteria known only to the poster. And then then backtracking to say two months later that success looks unlikely, while pretending that the previous statement never happened. This is not the behaviour of an honest interlocutor, but it is what people do when pushing an agenda, or just trying to spread Fear, Uncertainty and Doubt. Until recently I was happy to write Kermit off as just another blowhard know-it-all contrarian, but thinking back to the Brexit debates, it seems to me that the stances he takes coincide to a striking degree with the interests of a certain eastern European leader.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,408 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Seen a fair few reports that RuSSian ability to counter battery fire has been substantially reduced if not nearly completely removed in some areas thanks to UAF drone and missile strike strategy. The one main tool, tradionally used by the RuSSian forces is failing all around them.

All Eyes On Rafah

• Registered Users Posts: 685 ✭✭✭I.am.Putins.raging.bile.duct

You could boil it down to one word. Sophistry. I don't think it should be allowed in here all it does is create a feedback loop which of course is what they intend in the first place.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 685 ✭✭✭I.am.Putins.raging.bile.duct

Good video on the scutter we have to put up with in here

• Moderators Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭Azza

The counter offensive has failed, thus far. There is nothing "edgy" or pro Russian about stating that. We all wanted to see more progress and less Ukrainian deaths on the battlefield but that just hasn't happened. It's utterly dumbfounding that one poster on here is getting roundly attacked and getting called names for pointing this out.

It's not edgy and it tighten be intentionally pro Russian, but its just not true.

It may fail, but as the US military assessment from just today said, its too early too tell and Ukraine have another 30-45 days to progress the offensive before the weather turns against them.

There is plenty of credible reports from Russian millboggers of the difficulties the Russian's are facing in the south with Ukraine seemingly have gained the advantage in artillery support and the Russian troops not being rotated out. While I've no doubt Ukraine has suffered significant causalities (as have the Russian's) they don't seem to have committed much of the armour the west gave them so if they can break the 2nd (which they already have in places) and 3rd Russian defensive lines they should have a force in reserve that could exploit such a breakthrough, I'm not sure the Russian's have anything much in reserve as they keep redeploying troops from other sectors of the front.

Personally I think the Ukrainan's are running out of time (and I hope I'm wrong on that) but if the offensive doesn't succeed it will be more to do with the weather limiting movement than the Russian's actually destroying Ukrainan's offensive capability and I can't see the Russian's having the strength to mount an offensive of their for own for many months.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,108 ✭✭✭yagan

This war has ongoing for nearly ten years, how old is the counter offensive?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭zv2

It depends on how you define 'fail' and 'succeed'. Russia is being mauled to death. How long will it take? I don't know. MORE WEAPONS PLEASE.

“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” — Voltaire

• Registered Users Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭RGARDINR

I think the weather the wet weather will be what will help the Russians out hugely as will slow the Ukrainian offensive down hugely. I say the Russians are hoping this will come soon. I think Ukraine have done great over the last few wks but there is a few things I would be worried about, the amount of casualties they have taken to keep on pushing. They might eventually run out of steam. I would also be wary of the unknowns, just in regards to Ukraine getting all this support from mostly western nations, just imagine if some sort of 9/11 happened on America or some other Nato country again would western nations pivot their resources this way away from this conflict? This is why I believe the sooner Russia is ejected from Ukranian land the better for Ukraine as you cannot know what will happen down the line and will this level of support be still given to Ukraine or will something happen and the level of support is provided to some other conflict, that is why I worry about this dragging on, the unknowns down the line that might hinder Ukraine greatly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭TheRepentent

As a random Ukrainian soldier said "Thank god they are so fukking stupid"😂

Wanna support genocide?Cheer on the murder of women and children?The Ruzzians aren't rapey enough for you? Morally bankrupt cockroaches and islamaphobes , Israel needs your help NOW!!

http://tinyurl.com/2ksb4ejk

https://www.btselem.org/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭TheRepentent

what sort of idiot thinks Brussels is the capital of Ireland ?

Wanna support genocide?Cheer on the murder of women and children?The Ruzzians aren't rapey enough for you? Morally bankrupt cockroaches and islamaphobes , Israel needs your help NOW!!

http://tinyurl.com/2ksb4ejk

https://www.btselem.org/

• Moderators Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭Azza

About 3 months.

I suppose everyone has different opinion on that. Personally I reckon if Ukraine could get to Tokmak (they don't nessecarily have to capture it) and cut one of the main supply lines in South Ukraine I think it would leave them in a strong position going forward. As for Russia being mauled to death, I've no doubt their taking causalities but I'm not sure they are taking more than Ukraine is at the moment, usually the attacker sustains heavier losses, but its hard to know as neither side gives causality figures. And yes more weapons for Ukraine.

I know I got a good chuckle out of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,097 ✭✭✭threeball

Log in to see 127 new posts on this thread. Maybe something big happened today. Nope just Kermit filling the thread with slurry as per his usual contrarian view on pretty much everything

Brexit: Check

Climate change: Check

Ukraine: Check

If Kermit was leading the counter offensive Ukraine would be camped on the Bering strait by now.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,923 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

• Registered Users Posts: 13,892 ✭✭✭✭josip

If counter battery fire has been almost removed, does that mean they can move them closer to the front line? At the moment I think they keep them about 20km back. As far as I know they Ukrainians out-range the Russians by around 10km.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,135 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Kermit.de.frog threadbanned

• Registered Users Posts: 5,804 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

Add in BAE and Rheinmetall  opening up production/repair facilities in Ukraine and the long term outlook for Ukraine looks positive.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭Akabusi

The Wall Street Journal reporting that a target of February is in place for the first batch of F-16 pilots to be trained. The biggest challenge isn't with the pilots but with the training of maintenance crews. Apologies I'm on a flight with sketchy connection so I can't post the link, maybe someone else will.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,839 ✭✭✭Polar101

The co-proudction was agreed when Zelenskiy visited Sweden last month. I wonder where NOEL is getting the number 1,000 from - CV90's have been around since the 1990's and only 1,300 have been produced to date (according to Wikipedia, actual numbers may vary). Now they're making it sound like Ukraine is getting a thousand vehicles, but that sounds very unlikely unless they're talking about a very long timescale.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭Akabusi

What a roll Sweden a playing. There CV90 is highly regarded. What an asset to NATO they will be when they get that finalised.

Also just like Italy, the change of Government there that is more to the Right seems to have the same moral compass as previous in this fight against the modern day Hitler in Europe.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Rawr

This one will be interesting to keep an eye on.

Donetsk airport was a major battleground of the pre 2022 conflict and the line of control used to run through the runway itself. With the DPR / LPR forces now used up elsewhere, it will be interesting to see how well the Russians can hold this line. I always suspected that Donetsk would be a very difficult urban fight that Ukraine would be wise to avoid and simply put the city under seige until the DPR surrender.

But if the DPR’s ability to fight has been bled away, and the AFU could somehow actually take Donetsk, I feel this would nearly be as damaging to Russian moral as loosing Crimea. It would probably also trigger their flight to the border. There’s not much to bother holding between the city and the actual border with Russia.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,428 ✭✭✭macraignil

Social media post to me sounds like manufacturing the CV90's. Its interesting that they will be an updated version which I guess will take into account what Ukraine has learned from the war with putin. It mentions that number being a target but not sure over how long a period that number would take to be produced and it may be too difficult to give a time frame if much of the manufacturing will be in Ukraine. For Ukraine it is production in an active war so very much a priority so I'd imagine the figure of 1000 would be reached much faster than the same number were produced by Sweden in peace time. For example between 1939 and 1944 German tank production increased from 370 per year to 18,956 per year.

Some good coverage of the information flow from the US to Ukraine in this short piece, however be warned, there's some gruesome images, really NSFW.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,059 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

I dunno about that - I think the collective west is in too far at this stage to stop supplying Ukraine. Too deep. The repercussions of this war will I think affect at least the next generation.

before anyone starts shouting 'article 5' nonsense, this has happened few times in the past. And no one is starting a bigger war over a few rocks.

But I suppose what makes this incident interesting is the wonder that these are Wagner lads looking to stir up trouble and secondly with all the tension at the moment and ever tightening noose around Lukashenko, you'd think he would be doing everything to keep things quiet and not provoke Poland.

Post edited by TheValeyard on

All Eyes On Rafah

Some news from Donestsk

Doubt the Ukranians would go after Donetsk City if they captured the airport (pretty sure its zero strategic value and just symbolic)

I'm honestly not sure where the loyalties of the civilians there now are. Russia has probably doing a bit of the auld plantations for the past nine years.

All Eyes On Rafah

• Registered Users Posts: 54,194 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

I don't know about strategic importance of Donetsk City but Putin losing another city would be a huge propaganda win for Ukraine

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,665 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Ah it's a big ass city. They are a long, long way away from being able to take it. Taking the airport would be a big symbolic win though.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement