Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Russia - threadbanned users in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,017 ✭✭✭RGARDINR

I think Belarus sadly will be more saddle to Russia. Ukraine no if the west and the states supply them properly. But let's be real this thing about they might take on a NATO country won't happen. Europe and America after Russia is hopefully 100% defeated should arm countries surrounding Russia who don't want to be under the influence of Russia and train their armed forces up. It will take Russia years up years to get back to where they are military wise.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,839 ✭✭✭Polar101

None of the countries bordering Russia really think it will take 10-20 years for the next aggression to happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,340 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

So because they won’t take on a NATO country they should just be allowed take Ukraine??

Sorry I’ve no idea what point you’re trying to make here?

No sorry I mean give Ukraine everything to defeat Russia properly and kick them 100% out of Ukraine. I just think that when it's mentioned that Russia might attack a NATO country it's fantasy as I don't believe that will happen. I think countries who are not in Nato who border Russia should be supplied with weapons/training and supplied by western countries and America after Russia is kicked 100% out of Ukraine. But when I see it mentioned that Russia might attack a NATO country I think that's 100% living in fantasy land.

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭scottser

That's why their lithium and cobalt is so valuable and we need a steady supply. Oil and gas isn't going anywhere though, not in our lifetime.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Rawr

Oh naturally not.

For these pro-Russia posters (who we assume are not Russians themselves for the sake of discussion) likely just enjoy the idea of Russia and the damage they wish to do to personal libertys & human rights. As has been suggested; if only these posters actually visited Russia and experienced it for what it actually is, they would likely understand why the Ukrainians, Polish, and a whole swathe of ex-Warsaw Pact nations want nothing to do with Russians anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,743 ✭✭✭zv2

I'm suspicious of this. The Ukrainians blasted the Russians very badly there recently.

“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” — Voltaire

“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” — Voltaire

Fog of War is going to make that front particularly difficult to examine for a while. The AFU is doing a very good job here, especially given that they've got to supply themselves via river, and can't count on any heavy armor for a good long while. Looking at the Deep State map, it seems like the Russians had begun to take this front more seriously in recent weeks with additional units in the area.

But still...the AFU hold their bridgehead. Somehow the Russians are either failing here, or the AFU are out-classing them (again). I think this will be one of those fights we'll learn about a long while after the fact.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,049 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Good advice to Hungary, ask Orbán to leave the room and Hungary to leave the EU.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,578 ✭✭✭Field east

Not so fantancyland if you follow RT

A reverse image search shows the first picture is from May. I have no doubt that Russia are seeing barrel failures from time to time, but if that account is reusing pictures from May then it's probably not as common as they want to portray.

Meanwhile Ukrainian soldiers are reporting that Russia is back to a 5:1 artillery advantage . It went from haha they have NK shells to oh **** they have lots of NK shells very quickly.

During the peak period of the counter-offensive and even just a few months ago, the ratio between Russian and our artillery fire was largely 1:1 or bigger in our advantage. Now, we fire one round for every four or five rounds that Russia fires."

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭scottser

The HSE were using Windows 7 long after Microsoft stopped issuing updates for it. Probably the easiest hack in history.

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭IdHidden

A simple truth is that Putin has already failed. From the FT.

“It is certainly true that Russia has done far worse in this conflict — and Ukraine far better — than most analysts dared to hope in February 2022 when the full-scale invasion began. The Russians were humiliatingly defeated in the battle for Kyiv. Putin has sacrificed hundreds of thousands of lives for minor territorial gains. And Russia — for the first time in centuries — has virtually no allies on the European continent.

Ukraine, by contrast, now enjoys an unprecedented level of international support and respect. The country has also paid a terrible price in this war. But its status as an independent nation — with its own proud culture and identity — will never be erased again. In the great sweep of history, that is a victory that will really count.”

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭IdHidden

• Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭victor8600

That may be true from the point of view of the soldier on the ground. But other sources say that disproportionately larger Russian forces are being destroyed on the left back of Dnipro trying to eliminate the Ukrainian bridgehead. Ukrainian generals must send their troops to fight and, unfortunately, die. It is a cruel math of war.

I kind of love how the 90’s era Windows Logo was used there. Sort of underlines the time of the pinnacle of Russian military technology (aka Soviet technology before it all collapsed)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,678 ✭✭✭eire4

That does not surprise me at all. Just another aspect of our refusal to properly fund a legitimate defense and security capability for the country which obviously should include cybersecurity. Does not change the fact though that we were attacked by Russia vis that cyberattack on the HSE.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,054 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

I wonder what Orban thinks of the Hungarians who were butchered by the Russians during the 1956 uprising? As he was born seven years later, 1956 was probably missing from his school textbooks, or the happenings were amended to show Russia in a positive light. Someone should point out the truth to him and get him to change the error of his ways. If it sinks in it might stop him being a dick.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,320 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

And in many respects this is also possibly part of the plan: Hungary's blatant toadying with Russia is itself causing division cos simply talking about ejection from the EU is gonna cause wrinkles in the harmony, further sending things into a fractured state.

Very true. But is this some of Ukraines elite forces there?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,096 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

As a student in 1989, he gave a speech lauding them and demanding Soviet troops leave Hungary. I would imagine that the Orban of today though, in his heart of hearts, would think of them as fools for wasting their lives on idealism like that. Far better, in his mind, to work within the system and bend it toward your own advantage. That's how he operates so I'd imagine that's how he thinks too.

He has cynically dismantled the democratic institutions and free media within state, from the inside, in order to make it easier for him to continue to stay in power. At the same time he rants and rails against the majority values of the EU while enriching his inner circle (and no doubt himself) with EU money. Himself and his party continuously use antisemitic tropes to attack their enemies (especially George Soros) whilst also being staunch supporters of Israel.

He's a typical cynical demagogue who sows fear and division while ultimately only believing in his own power and enrichment.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,439 ✭✭✭jmreire

I spent the guts of 4 years there, first time for 1 year (Grozny) and then later on a 3-year+ stint mostly Moscow but travelling around a hell of a lot. While I found the system a complete pain in the ass (and then some!!) Mostly the people were fine, (you don't not have to leave your own City, Town or Village to meet assholes) and very easy to get along with. I made friends there that I'm still in contact with today. It's hard to explain what life is like...Police everywhere, slightest "disturbance" and police will appear out of nowhere in seconds. There's absolutely no toleration of any kind of disturbances Putin's reign depends on it. Corruption rules, everywhere and everything. It's not even hidden., there's absolutely no attempt to cover it up. Car is stopped at police checkpoint, Police demand money, driver asks "for what"? Police man replies " There's 800 pages in the Russian book of Law, which page do you want me to open? and because the driver has lived with this all of his life, he pays up. Whatever you do, don't get in the way of any big 4x4's with blacked out windows, especially if there are 2 or more together, even if you have the right of way. Having said that, I had some great times while I was there, and would not have any problem returning if things were "normal", but that's not going to be the case in the near future, unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭Glenomra

One comment in the last 12 hours since I last read the forum. Once it was about 200 entries every 12 hours day and night. What has changed.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,538 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

Nothing. That's the problem.

Hundreds of Ukrainians are dying by the day in a stalemate following an illegal invasion from their aggressive neighbours and the world now shrugs with disinterest at the lack of change and instead gawps at their new shiny plaything in Gaza.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,177 ✭✭✭green daries

Christmas 🎄 .celebrations, winding down staff nights out ,days out shopping ,people busy with the last of work order's etc .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,772 ✭✭✭Sunny Disposition

What do your friends make of the war jmreire? Do they really know anything about it or is the censorship too strong?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,049 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

I check daily to see what's reported and other news sites/ media as well. The Ukrainian situation is less reported everywhere at the moment. However that doesn't mean there isn't important work being done in the background all the time. Europe is heavily invested already in this war, even if not directly involved. We have all, every citizen taken a hit. And invested therefore in seeing matters righted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

Is it a rhetorical question? Will you post again and inform us what has changed?🤯

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement