Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Russia - threadbanned users in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭aidanodr

@macraignil - "How do you know putin is not having a manpower shortage?"

Straight up I dont. It is based on a pretty good assumption that being a dictator and a regime he well controls plus Russia's approx 145m people to date he has been able to keep on pouring meat into the grinder from that pool. Read much about Avdiivka recently and as with other places Ukraine forces saying Russia just keeps pouring in bodies into the front lines repeatedly until they gain that piece of ground, they dont care. Ukraine forces ( In fact also Zelensky at security conf ) mentioned recently with ref to Avdiivka that the Russian losses were 7 to 1 ( UKR soldier ). That they would blitz a position with shells, kill all and within jig time more russian troops would pour in to the same position.

Zelensky also recently said the UKR forces were having recruitment / draft difficulties, cannot get replacements for the UKR troops who have been on the front for 2 years. That the laws are being looked at and change to happen.

Heard yesterday on CNN I think, Putin once made president again in the upcoming elections will be in this time until about 2035 and will renew with gusto a draft but NOT just initiate this in the far flung poor regions but now will have the control to do this in Moscow and St Petersburg ( Russia proper ) regions. These places have remained relatively untouched to date re draft.

Finally the numbers are a thing surely - Russia Population about 145m people .. all up for grabs where Putin is concerned. Ukraine population about 40m ..

I have no doubt Ukraine losses are not to far off the reported russian losses of about 300,000???

This probably merits another thread? Pretty damning stuff too ..

"Now Ireland is again considering how best to deal with Russia, its sprawling Dublin embassy and the nefarious activities of its intelligence services on Irish soil amid warnings from western governments concerned about the potential for war on Europe’s eastern border.

The government is also coming under pressure from Europe to protect and police the waters off the Irish coast containing undersea cables amid fears of Russian interference ... The concern across Europe and Nato focuses on Ireland’s unwillingness to confront Russia and acknowledge the scale of the threat its spying agencies pose, and its inability to defend its own interests.

.... They ( defence forces, Garda ) also know Russia’s Federal Agency for Government Communications and Information (Fapsi) is spying here, deploying vans full of equipment that can intercept private communications. More recently, Ireland has been warned Unit 29155, an elite GRU unit that conducts sensitive foreign operations including assassinations and targeted attacks, might be operating here."

• Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭rogber

Quote one statement in which I said Zelensky is an autocrat.

You can't. Because I didn't make one. I quoted, without passing any judgment, the mayor of Kiev. Is he a Putin puppet spreading Russian propaganda in your eyes? Yes or no, simple question.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,428 ✭✭✭macraignil

"I have no doubt Ukraine losses are not to far off the reported russian losses of about 300,000???"

I'm confused by your post. You mention hearing of a ratio of losses of 7 to 1 on part of the front yet you then go on to claim to have no doubt Ukrainian losses are not far off losses among the moskovytes. 7 to 1 is not that close a number between the two armies and you would need the ratio to be in favour of putin's troops in many areas to balance the type of ratio I remember being mentioned in relation to the assaults putin's forces were making on Bakhmut before Ukraine pulled its troops back to save lives in its armed forces.

The figure recorded by the armed forces of Ukraine for losses in putin's forces is over 400,000 and is clearly shown in my previous post yet you claim a number 100,000 less. Sounds to me like you are trying to inflate the losses of Ukraine's armed forces and reduce the estimated number of losses in putin's forces just to fit your theory that there is going to be a sudden shift in the conflict in favour of putin's terrorists. While I do think putin's terrorist state is a huge threat to Europe I can't see Ukraine allowing putin to have any sort of victory and will continue the slow bleed of his resources as we have consistently seen over the last two years of the more widespread war in Ukraine.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,339 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

The witch Claire Daly on the week in politics spouting Russian propaganda and blaming Ukraine for increasing its military capabilities before Russia invaded.

Basically its Ukraines fault for preparing for Russia invading it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,356 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

If it was 1939 Daly would be on defending the Nazi Soviet pact and the right of them to dismember Poland and murder.

She is absolutely morally and intellectually bankrupt.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭zv2

She's a ranting zealot with an infantile grasp of world affairs.

“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” — Voltaire

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,292 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Daly would be blaming Poland for getting invaded, and a consequence for French & British interference. Up to Dunkirk she'd be decrying the empire games of both countries.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,634 ✭✭✭RoyalCelt

Ukraine we're due elections in March this year. Probably in Zelenski's interest to host them this year while he has enough support to win.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,801 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

How the hell are you supposed to hold elections when the country is getting bombed daily? When millions are displaced, when 100's of thousands troops are the Frontline. God love the officials trying to hold elections in the occupied areas. Do you think the Russians would allow that? Do you think the elections would be fair if millions are unable to vote.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,878 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

Forgetting about their politics for a min., I just don't think it is in Ukraine's interest to try to run elections while the war continues. It would be some shít show, that is guaranteed.

I suppose if this war carries on for a few more years (I hope not) they may eventually be forced to hold elections while at war/under invasion. At the moment they are probably better served (imo) putting them off, regardless of who in the country that favours/does not favour politically.

You are correct in all of what you say @macraignil .. Re the 300k each, I am glad I am wrong, it was a question of sorts as on various media you hear different numbers. The general sad thing is too many are dying. No, I am not deliberately trying to inflate losses and some how sneakily side with Putin by spreading disinfo.

I am fully on side of Ukraine. I am totally pee'd off that they are being held up by Trump and GOP fcking around re stopping this large support package which has huge implications for Ukraine let alone Europe and the world. I am also concerned that Ukraine will not be able to get more / enough troops.

And also post Navalny death and Putins fake election I think we are entering a new phase and feel with all this carry on in USA/Trump + Europe maybe not being as urgent as they should perhaps be ( this on CNN earlier. A correspondent from Kiev, he said the general feeling from the Munich Security Conference is not as urgent as one might have expected.

I still cannot get what is holding up supply of F16s to Ukraine to start evening up the score and longer range weapons so Ukraine can target deeper into Russia .. they should be allowed.

Lets say this weekend for some reason .. looking forward I am very concerned for us all, listening to media over the weekend. I think this is going to get far worse before it gets better. Add Trump into the mix Jan 2025 :(

• Registered Users Posts: 16,610 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

For the F16 it's training and support systems, we'll likely hear of their first usage after strikes have been made.

• Registered Users Posts: 780 ✭✭✭jams100

Hold elections where? What about the annexed regions? What about the regions where bombs are still going off? Where is the line drawn for an election? (Not saying it shouldn't happen but I think my priority would be on getting more materials when people are dying on front line everyday).

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Ukraine should retreat, give up, and then test Nato's word, that they won't allow Russia to win. Ukraine can't win this alone, Nata as a whole needs to help

In the previous page here I said - I am totally pee'd off that they are being held up by Trump and GOP fcking around re stopping this large support package which has huge implications for Ukraine let alone Europe and the world.

I cannot believe that .. even though he is not in office he alone is shaping the way this war against Ukraine is going. I have no doubt he alone now runs the GOP / Republican party .. what he says goes. He alone is stopping this US aid going to Ukraine. And then we have Trumps crazy invite to attack nato. This guy gets it and puts it exactly as I saw it:

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭IdHidden

The Guardian reports more injured Ukrainian POWs executed by the Russian.

The shootings by Russian forces of six unarmed Ukrainian soldiers in the city of Avdiivka, and two at a village in the same region, after Russia claimed full control of the city.

The videos on Telegram are gruesome. This type of savagery has to be counter productive, as it surely would make the Ukrainians fight harder.

This is an absolute say it as it is from Gabrielius Landsbergis - Minister of Foreign Affairs, Member of Parliament of Lithuania

Again like my last post - he puts into words how I feel also:

https://twitter.com/GLandsbergis/status/1759271051177943311

UNROLLED:

During the Munich conference I was asked why I am so gloomy. Well, somebody has to tell it like it is, so here’s how it is: Things are not going well. 

It is good practice to evaluate things honestly - with all their gloominess. And if we don't shock ourselves back into action it will get worse. In Ukraine, in the rest of Europe and possibly globally.

Ukraine is starved of ammunition and forced to pull back, Europe is facing challenges which might test Article 5, and global instability emerges because autocrats are emboldened by Russia's action and our cautious response. This is not pessimism. This is fact. 

Baseless optimism is a form of self-deception, it is demobilising us. How can we expect to convince the public to spend more on defence, take a stronger stance against Russia and support countries on the eastern flank if leaders won’t admit there is an urgent need? 

And we need action right now, because tomorrow might be too late. We need a push, a jolt, a shock to wake us up. The war is not over, it's far from won, the enemy is very much alive and our European future is at stake. 

I have no doubt that the West has the capacity to help Ukraine win this war. That is a fact. It is also clear that Russia’s industrial power is no match for the united West. But ... 

We don't lack capacity, we lack the political will and urgency necessary to support Ukraine and maintain our collective security. Russia, on the other hand, has the will to destroy Ukraine and reestablish the Russian Empire. When will we start using our capacity to deter this? 

Currently we are an open book to our adversary - clear red lines of non-engagement, disagreements over continuation of assistance and an optimistic blindness to increasing risks. We show no urgency in ramping up our readiness. 

Strategically the goal should be to change Putin's calculations. Disrupt the field. I know it’s not easy, but it is better to admit mistakes and chart a new path forward, rather than to engage in empty self-congratulation.

So yes, I am returning from Munich a bit gloomy. 

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭IdHidden

More than 100 Kremlin documents obtained by a European intelligence service and reviewed by The Washington Post, show that Russia ran a disinformation campaign to undermine the Ukrainian president Volodymyr Zelenskiy. The US publication said Kremlin instructions had “resulted in thousands of social media posts and hundreds of fabricated articles” that “tried to exploit what were then rumoured tensions” between Zelenskiy and his top army commander, Valerii Zaluzhnyi.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭rogber

You're dodging the question because you've been caught out. Ukraine is a society moving towards debate and free speech. Klitschko is allowed his opinion, others may agree or not. You seem to fear this trend. I wonder why?

I've also posted literally dozens of pro Navalny posts here, including since he died, while others in this thread shamefully couldn't find one good word to say about him. I think he's a resistance hero, even if he said some dumb things long ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,153 ✭✭✭saabsaab

Campaign to disable oil is continuing..

• Registered Users Posts: 7,339 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

• Registered Users Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭deadduck

Fingers crossed that sort of news isn’t too far away, even if it should have been sooner. Ukraine need every assistance the EU (and US/NATO) can muster. But particularly the EU, it needs to prove itself a military force as well as an economic one, especially so in the light of Trump’s recent commentary

• Registered Users Posts: 6,684 ✭✭✭flutered

it seems his face and chest are badly bruised, the prison people said this is common in heart attack victims

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement