Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Russia - threadbanned users in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 905 ✭✭✭Mike Murdock

I think they should have done that already. It looks like they haven't a clue what they are doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭reg114

Sky news reporting Zelensky and the Russians have agree to talks to take place on the Ukraine / Belarus border. I hope Zelensky has the good sense not to attend himself, but I see this as just optics. There is nothing to negotiate, the whole war was started purely as a vanity project for Putin who wants to cement his legacy and reunify the USSR. If he gets a swift victory in Ukraine he will doubtless be emboldened to move aggressively into Moldova, Estonia, Lithuania and Latvia.

Russia's long range nuclear weapons have a range of 16,000km which means if they wanted to the Russians could hit as far as Sydney Australia.

You'd have to think that any support Russia enjoys from China and India thus far would evaporate if he started nuking countries.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭PrzemoF

Russia Today propaganda tube rt.com started to use a Brasilian company services providing anti-ddos protection. I notified them about the situation - hopefully they'll switch it off.

• Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭technocrat

4 pie eating dole merchants on their way home from the chippy... morto!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,047 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Fair enough, due to the speed of events I only grasped the 'one-off' €100b bit and missed the committment to recurring expenditure, which is most welcome. But praising someone for shutting the stable door after the horse has bolted isn't something I do. As for my 'credibility' I dont care. I have been ranting about how purely evil and dangerous Putin is for years and have been lambasting German's insane energy policy for months in other threads.

The Germans have been shamed and frightened into it, rather than doing it every year for the past 3 decades, like France and the UK, because they had the brains and lack of financial selfishness to do it on it's own obvious merrits. Look at the Green party in Germany right now, shutting down nuclear reactors in favour of burning gas and coal and cementing reliance on Russian gas - what do you think of that, eh?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,173 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

Excellent post. On top of this think the us had known that Putrid would be invading despite his denials all along and had an awful lot of gear,intelligence, money, munitions the lot ready to roll. There may not be NATO boots on the ground there but everything else is piling in.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,504 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

if that happens , its game over for everyone anyway , Putin would get taken out before that happened , most likely just tough talk

at the end of the day , China and the USA along with Russia have the ability to bring about Armageddon but as the price is so high , nobody dares do it

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

This kind of thing would be officials. Usually the leaders get involved much later and show up for the photo-op once all the details have been worked out.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,847 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

So that politician that sky news spoke to in Brussels was the Norwegian minster of justice Emilie Enger Mehl.

Yeah, those two generals were looking at Putin as if he were a thermos of Vodka short of a picnic basket.

• Advertisement

your conclusions and observations are false. If they had been driven by selfishness they'd still be running those nuclear plants which were in good working order and burning more not less lignite or coal from Poland. The cost of energy security with the Greens as a pressure group in Government demanding CO2 neutrality by 2045 are eye watering.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,397 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Loads of rumours of course. But the interwebs is speculating that Putin is being spirited away to a bunker after threatening nukes.

Could also be that he is hitting the bunker to protect himself from people near him or even a general rebellion/uprising

Or likely could be just general rantings and bollix

• Registered Users Posts: 7,243 ✭✭✭Gusser09

Looks like Vlad getting ready to go nuclear. At some stage the West will have to be proactive rather than reactive. If there is a chance that Putin might go to the next level then Moscow needs to be taken off the face of the map.

Alot of speculation online about Putin's state of mind which seems to have shifted. Ukraine has been independent for 31 years, its 8 years since the annexation of Crimea, perhaps Putins urgency has been ramped up by a health issue be it physical or mental. You can only hope that someone in his inner circle starts to see the light here.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,033 ✭✭✭Ficheall

Wishful thinking. You could interpret those faces any way you felt so inclined.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,504 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Xi would be on the phone long before that , China may have gave the nod to this but they didnt sign up for armageddon

• Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭batman75

I'm in two minds over talks with Russia. I don't want to see Ukrainian lives lost. On the other hand Putin should be made withdraw all military equipment and personnel from Ukraine before any talks. Humiliate the sob. I hope the sanctions especially on the RCB go ahead. Putin needs to go and to be held legally accountable or killed.

The fact that they want talks I think show that they might be in trouble with their military campaign. He expected to crush Ukraine handily and it hasn't happened. The fact that he is calling on Belarussian military to aid the campaign is both curious but may also confirm his struggle for military supremacy.

I think Putin is panicking with the nukes talk. He knows the Russian economy could collapse following the sanctions. Irrespective the sanctions need to remain until he is gone and Russia withdraws completely from Ukraine.

Armageddon?

Time to roll out Aerosmith and Bruce Willis. Putin, your days are numbered

However, the US has capabilities that, even after 30 years of studying and researching their technical prowess, still stocks me. Plus they have experience in war. Trust me, if a nuclear weapon is detonated as a warning, the conventional strike that will immediately occur will set Russia back 100 years. It will be precise, military and industrial. It will completely eliminate command and control centres for Nuclear assets.

I'm sure the nukes would be fired before command/control centres were destroyed. And I'm sure many such centres are not easily destroyed, either.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Or better yet, cool heads prevail. In an atomic exchange the planet is fúcked. Once one or two go off, that's it game bloody over, no climbing down from that.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Northernlily

They must be thinking of turning him over at this stage. They know full well they and Russia gains nothing from launching a nuke at the west and will be obliterated off the map with a huge loss of life.

Putin is gone **** mad and they know full well.

As for Biden going quiet, I think his silence speaks volumes about how grave this actually is. They are strategizing and making moves in the background. A huge part of that is not to cause panic in population centres.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

The Germans have been shamed and frightened into it.

Scholz didn't look at all frightened to me, he was clear and very direct. This is a huge sea change in national policy, a policy that is tied up with their history for very obvious reasons. The last straw IMO was realising just how completely duplicitous Putin has been, a very hard truth for a country that has always tried to talk to Moscow.

I don't think that having him withdraw is sufficient. There would be nothing preventing him from rebuilding and trying again in a few months or a few years

• Registered Users Posts: 16,332 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Putin would get taken out before that happened , most likely just tough talk

Do we know that with absolute certainty though? In theory he's the commander in chief, the military have to obey his orders to the letter.

There was talk about putting 'guardrails' around Trump to stop him doing something crazy in the final days of his presidency; I'm not confident there are any effective guardrails around Putin.

Think it's pretty clear. Wasn't a 'great idea dear leader' reaction.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,243 ✭✭✭Gusser09

And hangs the fucker. You'd imagine some of senior lads in Russia are know this is madness. I think a coup could be the best hope.

So was Nicholas II.

(Although not at the time of his execution)

These talks are pointless, totally pointless. Putin doesnt do half measures, its pure optics and simply buying time for the Russians to reconfigure their war plan which has gone awry so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,536 ✭✭✭brickster69

Belarus to amend it's constitution to allow Nuclear weapons to be based there.

“The earth is littered with the ruins of empires that believed they were eternal.”

- Camille Paglia

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭Lawlesz

This is rapidly falling apart for Putin here, great in one sense. But as he gets more and more cornered, less and less to lose, it's scary to think what his next step can be.

Also, despite the amazing resistance the Ukrainians are putting up, you'd have to assume they can't sustain that whilst the Russians seem to have bodies in reserve.

The latest nuclear deterrence move means what exactly?

Does anyone find it strange that the NATO countries are being so open about what exactly they're sending to Ukraine? They seem to be there now in all but boots, you have to wonder at what point does Putin interpret that as full on support and decide to attack NATO? It feels like we're on a knife edge really at the moment

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement