Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Russia - threadbanned users in OP

Options

Comments

This idea that he is unstable actually feeds into Putin’s propaganda, that he would be willing to escalate to nuclear in a heartbeat. Personally I don’t believe it to be true.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,922 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

"Russia is bad, but Ukraine is just as bad"

"Russia disinfo is terrible, but you believe everything you read in the Western media?"

"Russia military units are shelling civilians, but look what NATO did in Libya"

"What about all the dead in Iraq"

"You think Ukrainians are the good guys? look at what these guys did"

Yeah I get it, this thread was chock-full of this broken-record stuff prior to the invasion.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,038 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Good measured response from Boris, a No Fly Zone is a declaration of war against Russia, it just won't happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭Bayonet

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

The words powerful moment are too strong there. It's an expected type of comment.

It's worrying me that there seems to be a growing call for western intervention. If NATO do put troops in, nuclear, thermobaric weapons do come into play.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,353 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

100%.

It's pure fantasy to think Putin has no support from Russians themselves.

And it's also more likely that with the sanctions imposed on Russians economically and socially, sport etc, it will further garnish Putins reputation among Russians themselves, and further polarise Russians citizens opinions of the west.

Because it is the west thats actually imposing those sanctions, not Putin

BTW I must add a disclaimer I'm not pro Putin, it's usually the first accusation thrown in debate here.

One of the latest maps. A lot of landmass in the center, but Russia might try to encircle LNR and DNR Ukrainian forces

NATO head has ruled it out.

Thermobaric weapons have allegedly already being used in Ukraine (Russians used them in Chechnya also)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,053 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Regardless of what happens with Ukraine, the cost to Russia and Putin is going to be huge and ongoing. Once crippling sanctions are in place and Putin stays in power, they're not going to be rolled away quickly. So Putin goes in that situation. If he pulls back now, he's likely gone as well. It doesn't look great for him. If the Russian armed forces are obliged to lay siege to Kyiv and cause massive casualties, there may be a breaking point at which other states will get involved so as to prevent war crimes.

Indeed, polls show a large chunk of Russians believe or buy into Kremlin propaganda on this and strongly support Putin (for now).

It's mainly younger professionals and those who access news outside of Russia who think otherwise.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,655 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

The attack this morning on Freedom Square in Kharkiv caught on security camera

A journalist shows aftermath...

It's interesting as they say they are going after symbols of statehood now. No pretence anymore.

I have heard of a few humanitarian buses and the like going from here across the land towards Poland with supplies and donations.

There was one story on the RTE about a Ukrainian couple in Ireland who own a cafe who collected such donations and donated some days worth of their sales income too.

One such transport convoy was leaving Dublin today that I heard of. So probably too late to get them any donations. But I imagine you can still contact them to ask about the next one.

Admission points:

💥 Lucan K78YE94 in hours 9.00-21.00 Contact: Kasia 0834 133 680

💥 Polska Drogeria Marvel Beauty and Health Ltd and Polish Book Shop Dublin Moore Street Mall, Lidl Basement D01K447

They request specific things - things that are most often needed and are durable. I am surprised that pre-charged battery packs for charging things like phones is not on the list. There is probably a good reason for this that I am too dumb to know. Probably that anything that can give even the most small military advantage would risk them being targeted as not a purely humanitarian convoy?

The list I saw anyway was:

IMPORTANT‼

🚨 Please bring ONLY the items and products that are on the list.

🚨 Food items MUST BE sealed.

List of products:

1.Sleeping bags and blankets

2. Diapers and sanitary napkins

3. Personal hygiene products (hair shampoo, bath gel, soap, deodorants, toothpaste, and toothbrushes)

4. Dressings (bandages, sterilized gauze, disinfectants, plasters, wipes)

5. Tea and coffee (non-grained)

6. Cans with an opener (soups, beans, stews, stuffed cabbage)

7. Food (porridge, rice, pasta, cereal, porridge)

8. Soups (in packs)

9. Baby food (formula milk in powders, boxes or bottles; food in jars and sachets)

10. Disposable cutlery and plates, kitchen towels

11. Sweets (chocolate, bars)

12. Rice wafers and crackers

13. Food for pets

14. Toys for children, stuffed animals

15. Notebooks, blocks, crayons, colouring books

The media are whipping it up as usual, you know when he threatened to use nuclear weapons, he never actually said NUCLEAR, he said deterrent forces on high alert.

Putin is not crazy, he has spent 20 years in power by been cold and calculated. This notion that you take out Putin this ends, I just don't buy. Cold war politics have never went away.

any idea how many miles away they are now? It was 17 yesterday I think? Wonder what the mph of the convoy and what obstacles are they encountering

• Registered Users Posts: 7,969 ✭✭✭Christy42

Most official stuff I have seen is less about NATO at the moment I guess because the Nazi stuff is playing better at home or because the NATO stuff makes them look stupid. If anyone in Russian command was actually worried about NATO then they have committed one of the stupidest moves in their history. The question of joining is suddenly a bigger one in Finland and Sweden. NATO is getting increased funding, likely across the board and those countries not in NATO near the region will be increasing their military budget and increasing ties with NATO countries.

Quite frankly if Russia wanted to increase NATOs power and relevance they couldn't have done a better job. If NATO was the reason for the invasion then Russia has already lost.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Northernlily

Going to have to try and detach myself from this story a small bit as it is severely affecting me.

We all have different personality types. I don't know if anyone else is the same but I've felt completely helpless, depressed and worried. Yesterday, I just had to take a sick day. This morning I chaired a discussion (Project Manager) and I was an unprepared, bumbling mess. It is extremely difficult to focus.

War is brutal, I get that. But it's the ramifications and uncertainty where this is going that is just overwhelming and saddening. I've shed tears in the past few days in solitary moments.

To see a peaceful nation get attacked and so many killed in pursuit of one man's quest, is just unfathomable.

Just need to get that out somewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

A no-fly-zone would have had to been implemented before the first Russian boot on Ukrainian soil. And we know how that would have played: aMEriCAn anD nATo ImPERialISM thReaTANinG PeACEful rUSSIa.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,702 ✭✭✭firemansam4

Surely the only option for conventional Ukranian forces now is to retreat to Lviv, if not they are going to get slaughtered and that will not help anyone.

I think now its going to be a matter of civilain and guerilla type resistance to keep the pressure on the occupying forces.

This thread alone is intense due to the level of concentrated information and then opinion on such a tough subject.

Do indeed take a break - it’s good advice -stay well.

The translator at the EU (or not sure from sky maybe I was watching) really got emotional translating Zelenskyy’s speech. You could tell he started to cry. It’s a really sad time.

• Advertisement

Take a break, detach, it's very heavy. If you want to focus on the positive and help there are many avenues, I believe there is a Ukrainian association in Ireland (AURI), there are also charities and other online groups.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,353 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

Completely agree

The notion that Putin is stupid and crazy comes from the same school of thought that he has no support in Russia.

He is as you say, cold and calculated.

Ironically, to call him crazy, actually diminishes his responsibility for what hes doing, as it implies hes not in charge of his own faculties.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,184 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

I pretty explicitly called them stories rather than sides or facts.

Of course both sides have stories which paint them as heroes. I don't expect either side to tell the full story. The stories are interesting though.

Ya some people are deeply worried.

My wife's cousin lives in France and worries about everything. Yesterday she told my wife she would send the kids to us if a war broke out with Russia.

Alot of people need to step back and realize the likelihood of these going further than the Ukraine is fairly small.

The likely scenario is Russia will defeat Ukraine in the short term and occupy it but it will send the whole of Russia to the bread line. We have to watch on unfortunately, there is no divine intervention of peace going to happen.

Looks like the EU have agreed to fast track Ukraine's application. They're not in the EU yet, but the formal process has started.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,184 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Well, "we" The West invaded some countries a few years ago. They would probably start with that instead of the recycling, wouldn't you agree?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,369 ✭✭✭Rossi IRL

Could NATO potentially go in and bomb that convoy without the Russians knowing it was NATO

Pass it off as Ukraine planes.

I think NATO is damned if they act and damned if they don't. At what point does NATO get involved on the ground. Now in Ukraine or in a few years when Vlad eyes up another country to takeover.

NATO/EU is pretty much funding Ukraine's defense as it is, a few planes taking out some targets wouldn't be the biggest stretch.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,160 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Wibbs, I cannot find it now (New Boards confuses me) but you did a great post on the origins of Ukraine and it's set up in 1920 etc. I think you went on to say that Russians themselves perceive that they 'half own' Ukraine already and that it wasn't really a legitimate 'free state' in their eyes. I did hear before that Ukraine's war of independence very much mirrored the Irish one in terms of the 1917-1921 timeline and provisional government.

It was a good post anyway but can you respost it?

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Advertisement

The president and cabinet should scarper to the countryside- I believe they’re already spread out- my point being, if you can’t “topple” the cabinet you can’t install a new government - when will the Russians call “done” on this? When they reach the centre of the capital and storm the government buildings or something else?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement