Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Russia - threadbanned users in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,922 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

RT and Sputnik aren't news stations, they are Kremlin disinformation operations masquerading as "news". During peace-time I think there's some debate, however during a war, they are genuinely dangerous. Likewise, during the pandemic, Youtube had to deplatform disinformation channels because they promoting medical disinformation which was harmful.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,150 ✭✭✭Talisman

Perhaps they are awaiting their orders. There have been several soldiers captured who have claimed they were not given specific orders. There is also evidence of Russian forces abandoning their equipment and fleeing. It doesn't make a lot of sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,756 ✭✭✭buried

My point is that the most recent German rule of the Ukranian nation, what that post was ultimately about, the one that happened less than 80 years ago is a far more important factor in the current scenario than some Imperial rule that started 200 years ago. 200 years ago means nothing. I may as well be talking about the Vikings in Dublin and how great those lads were if I'm going to stretch back to over 200 years ago.

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Registered Users Posts: 13,712 ✭✭✭✭briany

We're never going to have a clear picture of what's going on in the midst of a shooting war, but I'm of the strong suspicion that the whole 'invade Ukraine' project isn't going as swimmingly as Putin had hoped. The worse they try and do Kyiv to try and 'make up' for that, the more they increase their status as international pariah.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,332 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

After that its bide your time and wait for the new planes to take out the rest at their leisure. 

There won't be any new planes

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭20silkcut

Thats why the truth needs to be protected by a body of lies. Whatever is happening in Ukraine it’s as clear as the nose on your face it has not fallen yet and that was clearly not the Russian plan

• Registered Users Posts: 19,405 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Russian is fairly inter changeable with Ukrainian right?

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭Mike3549

Have you heard about 'adidios'with 4 stripes? Also 'nice' and 'rebook', good brands

• Registered Users Posts: 20,047 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

"Secretary of the Security Council of Ukraine Danilov announced the neutralization of Kadyrov's militants who planned to kill Zelensky"

https://liveuamap.com/en/2022/1-march-secretary-of-the-security-council-of-ukraine-danilov

• Registered Users Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭Gamb!t

Apple gone also.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,172 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

Or do as several are doing and Google pubs,restaurants etc in Moscow then give a review and leave a short message along the lines " your military are slaughtering Ukrainians, are you going to do anything about it? "

Isn’t this what commies used to do back in the day? Awful crappy knock offs of western brands. Perhaps their friends in China can help now.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,160 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,505 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

the amount of sh1te fighting talk from Irish who would run a mile if a Halloween banger was heard.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,503 ✭✭✭wassie

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

I wouldn't be giving these brands like Nike, Adidas, Apple much qudos. Fed-Ex, Mersk, DHL pulled delivery, that's what did it for them. They could have pulled out days ago. Nike and Apple particularly have zero morals.

Also the likes of Disney and Paramount are saying they won't show new releases in Russia. How about all releases? Cut them from any streaming service in russian territory. Make those Russian teenagers, 20s, 30s go online and find out what they are doing.

True but maybe this is a wake up call? Freedom is precious and we can’t take it for granted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭Field east

The ramblings of a typical academic who reads up tooooo much theory. You need to go no further than listen to Putins last , say, 10 TV appearances to see the REAL TRUTH of why he has a PEACe KEEPING force in Ukraine. Tell me , how far do we have to go back as to what happened in the past to justify the carrying out of actions today and most especially unilateral actions - what about what was done between , say, 841 and 1195 in the general European Asian, Far East axis in order to justify a unilateral action today - such as the invasion of Ukraine. When are we going to press the RESTART button and go from there with the principals of peace , prosperity and doing good - not bad - to your neighbour when and where you can

• Registered Users Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭ittakestwo

The damage done to property in Ukraine must be mounting to billions. Who has to pay for this? Is there an international court of order that countries have to comply with regarding who pays? Can russia do billions of damage to another country and not have to foot the bill? I recall that up to recently Germany was paying for WW2. Does Russia need the Ukraine government to collapse and put in a new puppet government that signs something saying they won't hold Russia accountable for the cost. If russia pulls out of Ukraine without collapsing the government they will have to pay? Is this a huge incentive for them not to pull out untill they can collapse the Ukrainian government.

Experts say the 150k troops in Ukraine will not be enough to hold it Ukraine should they capture it. It amounts to 3.4 soldiers per 1000 people of which are getting guns and help from the west. The figure needs to be over 10 soldiers per 1000 of people to have a chance of holding the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,505 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Most of the Irish going on with fighting talk would run to the hills if as much as a firework was heard in central dublin

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,590 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

Putin and his proxies have been slowly sowing the seeds of doubt in the West for some time now.

Interference in the US elections, Brexit and multiple European elections were aimed at division.

In tandem he was silencing any opposition back home, going so far as an attempted assassination of Navalny, then subsequently prisoning him.

On top legislation was introduced to criminalize any public protests. The near blackout of independent media further solidified his aims.

Every step was met with scant retaliation which emboldened him enough to take the reckless step of invading his neighbor.

His close circle grew comfortable on the lack of retaliation and so a rational sounding board for this invasion was nonexistent.  

A group of yes men are never going to itemize the logical consequences of declaring war on a sovereign European country, despite their true convictions.

The resistance so far has surprised him but not confounded him. Dangerously he will escalate which will lead to horrific outcomes.

I think it’s clear we are dealing with a bad actor, the meetings with western leaders and the farcical peace talks are nothing more than theater.

The senseless and barbaric attacks are hard to stomach. Watching the BBC news report earlier from Fergal Keane at Lviv train station was distressing.

As for a way out I honestly think the only solution right now is for regime change in Russia which is hugely complicated by the apparatus Putin has carefully built. 

• Registered Users Posts: 4,401 ✭✭✭Homelander

We heard you the first time, you know when you posted 2 minutes before that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,049 ✭✭✭Mecanudo

Those "at home" (in Russia) know nothing of what is going on in Ukraine other than been told it's a 'civil war' or similar

• Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭Longing

• Registered Users Posts: 22 digger1985

Most people I know in Russia mind their own business. Whoever wants to work work and they are quite successful.

There is no loud narrative in Russia that Putin is not right that I am aware of. We do joke about Putin and Russian Government - nobody puts us in jail for it. You can argue that Putin silenced everyone and it might be true. Yet we can access "independent media" / meduza.io , though, it is marked as "a foreign agent". On the contrary, RT is said to be banned in the EU. Not sure about it because I can still access it.

I cannot really comment on those demonstrators who were detained because I do not know any of them and do not know their situation.

What I do remember being a student is that we get paid to rally for some politics on the street in the 1990s.

Therefore, I cannot rule out that some people who were detained (Navalny's supporters or whatever) were actually paid to participate in those protests. There might be some people who are vehemently against Putin's policy or his stance on Ukraine. I just do not know them. The elderly is worried because they mostly watch TV and state propaganda. The young generation has full access to YouTube/TikTok/non-state media, and can probably have a different view on this war. There was actually a case reported recently in one Russian city about a student who put the Ukrainian flag in his window - he was detained:

https://ngs.ru/text/criminal/2022/02/25/70469474/

I think this would not happen in the 1990s, but it is my personal opinion. It might be the case that the Russian government is afraid of any demonstrations because of the coup that happened in Ukraine in 2014, and a bunch of other colour revolutions happened over the ex-USSR when "pro-western governments" were put in power.

Russia sees the Western hand in it, and the official Western narrative is that Russia and China are potential enemies. Now we have Ukraine that declared it wants to join NATO, it does not want to be a neutral country anymore, and I think the Ukrainian President said something about the nukes in Munich: http://uawire.org/zelensky-ukraine-may-reconsider-its-nuclear-status

In fact, Americans were already building their military infrastructure in Ukraine: https://news.usni.org/2017/08/15/u-s-navy-seabees-building-maritime-operations-center-black-sea-coast It all showed to Russia that the US and the EU did not respect them and their alleged obligations not to extend NATO. Russia considered Ukraine as a neutral country, much like the US considers western hemisphere its sphere of influence: https://www.ourdocuments.gov/doc.php?flash=false&doc=23

Russia tried to establish talks and come to an agreement since at least the last year. It led to nowhere, so that it is where we are now. Obviously there will be no winners in this war. Everyone is blaming one another but the truth might be somewhere in between.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭kirk.

It's all bolocs and a distraction from real news

They're all getting in for PR that's what's theydp

• Registered Users Posts: 32,668 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

I am guessing this has been posted....Lukashenko doesn't strike me as the sharpest knife in the drawer....but it indicates Russia might make a move for Transnistria/Moldova

• Registered Users Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

I said there is a truth out there and one can try and find it and it does actually matter what it is, not that I know all of it or I can find all of it. I don't have God delusions, am only an ordinary person thousands of miles away. You seem to admit there may be objective facts we can know here despite the remove and also a "fog of war" or whatever... "I presume the headline things like the invasion, the people fleeing, the maps we see if controlled areas, the convoy heading to Kiev, are reasonably accurate."

As you say to reduce it to baby speak, Russia does seem to have sent rather alot of its men with some hefty weapons over into its neighbour who had not attacked them first (as far as I know), had not posed any threat (as far as I know). Things are blowing up there (maybe spontaneously, but coinciding with arrival of all these Russians) and people are dying and running away from it into neighbouring countries.

I have never claimed to know the facts about the day to day details of what is going on during this war between Russia & Ukraine or who is "winning" etc., which of the events being reported are true/false in the "reality" we should try and get at. I read what is here. I read/watch the news. I haven't commented at all on the ins and outs of the war (the fighting/actions by each side) in this thread as I consider that well beyond my ken, so why would I?

What I have posted about mostly was what I though was a distinct bogus-ness in various pre-war (before Xmas last year) Russian "stories" about what they were doing and why and what they wanted (other posters were giving Russian perspective), and also, after war began about how Russia's justifications for launching it appear very, very thin. Non existent one might say, such that it is a war of aggression / a conquest.

edit Before the war was also disagreeing with those who expected a non existent Western (esp. EU or German) response to an invasion by Russia and the claims that, even if it occured, any response would have no effects on Russia at all.

You can reply to this if you like but am probably not going to say much more in response as it is feeling a bit self indulgent debating this stuff on this thread + am sorry I directly "poked" you by being sarcastic when I read your comment. I should have just ignored it.

Post edited by fly_agaric on

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭Lemsiper

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,172 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

I'm afraid that doesn't really wash anymore. They are certainly aware that hundreds who speak out are "disappeared " every year and that carry on has being going on for decades. If anything good is to come from this it is that the world can now see what an evil country Russia is.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement