Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Russia - threadbanned users in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

I do wonder why there has been a sudden increase in larger missile use by the Russians the last couple of days.

As mentioned before, when the yanks go on a crusade, it's usually a few weeks of missiles, take out all the key points and then they send the troops in. Russia have sent the troops in, they came to slow down and then they went to middle route.

Are the missiles to raise low morale? Are they finding it difficult to get the troops to go into battle areas?

They are going bigger with the strikes on Kharkiv. 6 days in and they are still on the outskirts of a City that's 30km from the border. There's no supply issues in Kharkiv. They launching missiles at random spots in the city. Wierd.

The 40km convoy is an interesting one. Theres something not right about it. Surely that wasn't the plan? As mentioned on twitter, it's cold out there, they are using fuel/batteries to heat themselves up, running low on food. If they are having supply issues today, it will be worse tomorrow.

If the Belarus troops go in that will be an act of panic. That would have always been a last resort measure. Lukashenko doesn't have the dominance in Belarus that Putin has. A War on Ukraine, sending their troops in to die just to keep Vlad happy. Even his own public support would be questioning that type of stuff. All out sanctions on them and they would suffer too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭AyeGer

Got this from twitter, its embarrassing to have any Irish people on this list of shame. Clare and Mick.

• Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭batman75

I'm dismayed to see that the plan to give Ukraine fighter jets from countries across the EU has fallen apart. What chance do the Ukrainians have when this kind of nonsense is going on. What is it going to take for the EU to help the Ukraine in a meaningful way. Putin will kill millions if allowed will Europe just watch on from the sidelines say its awful etc.

The two wallies Wallace and Daly should be shunned by the country or fecked off to Moscow to live under Putin.

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭CB19Kevo

Rules you say.. Putin has broken the rules and killed civilians.

So it's okay for Putin but no, not the West. We have to be good boys and girls and do what Russia tells us.

When do we say NO.. Not anymore, not now and not ever again will FEAR and TERROR win against the greater good.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,911 ✭✭✭Tippex

Don't believe everything that is being spouted online.

I am 100% sure there are "Private Contractors" on the ground being paid for directly by western countries and have likely been there for a number of months. I am sure the statements that have been made are purely for optics.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,657 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

• Registered Users Posts: 13,884 ✭✭✭✭josip

Yes, NATO can get involved if they consider it a humanitarian intervention without needing UN approval.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,397 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

The fu^kers have brought international embarrassment to us. They were always an embarrassment to us when we knew what they were like but there was a hope that others wouldn't notice them. There needs to be something done about them but I don't know whether there is anything practical other than just waiting and hoping their electorate will turf them out at the next election.

People could protest or sign petritions but I'd say that it would be easier to get Putin to resign than those pair of cu^ts. Hard necks on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

At least Ming had the good sense to change tack, and the SF clown probably got lifted out of it by HQ.

Mick and Clare are out and out disgraces.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,506 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

Isn't that more associated with Cervantes' Don Quixote (and I think he nicked it from a Roman saying) more so than being Irish saying?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Hope Putin doesn’t try and make a statement of shock and awe during Bidens address.

Nato and or the eu should demand a halt, immediate ceasefire and negotiations. Warn Russia that a no fly zone will be declared otherwise. Call putins bluff.

This is the point in history on which nato and the eu will be judged.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

If Putin wants to create the land bridge from Belarus to Kaliningrad, and flattens a path way through Lithuania, I do not believe for one second that the larger NATO countries would come to their rescue. I think Poland would but it seems the nuclear countries have the weapons but have absolutely zero intent on getting involved. You could say that's a good think but I don't think the NATO alliance is what it is cracked up to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Hobgoblin11

did seem to good to be true, Borrell over stepped, seems there are lots of anti-tank weapons in the pipeling but they will probably arrive too late

Dundalk, Co. Louth

• Registered Users Posts: 4,499 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

I get where you're going but your maths is a bit off. My younger sibling was born close to that date. Her grandfather was born in 1889. And no, his name wasn't Hitler :) Her other grandparent é.g. 1913.

So the maths is off.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,049 ✭✭✭Mecanudo

Well thanks for the useless essay

Regardless whether you trust "any" media or otherwise, you do not need to "take sides" to view the many first hand accounts detailing the killing of innocent civilians as an illegal act during the current invasion.

Again NATO are not involved. Individual countries are perfectly entitled to aid Ukraine during this unprovoked attack by Russia. Interestingly the Russian invasion of Ukraine is being aided and abetted by two other countries and yet not a word in criticism from you . Ukraine as an independent country is entitled to make agreements with whoever they wish free from the belligerent bullyboy tactics of your mother Russia or the tryant Putin. Ditto Ukraine can maintain a standing army and weaponry regardless of Russiaa views on same.

If and or where there any rights abuses then that is a matter for international investigations, not you throwing shite at an entire country or your leader deciding to unilaterally attack and invade the same independent country which has made no attack or threat on Russia. Russia has had a hand of many many human rights abuses - all which seem to have completely escaped you attention.

Your comments come across as pure unadulterated proxy. I sincerely hope you are getting paid for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,712 ✭✭✭✭briany

Belarus should be hit with every last sanction possible and hopefully they'd cause enough upheaval to finally push him off the cliff.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,516 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

That would create huge problems for Russians trying to travel anywhere internationally. EU airspace was already shut down, as was Canadian.

Fair play to him getting the leg over a young wan 24 years his junior! A man after me own heart. I'd say she was no Melania though

H'up ya boya

• Advertisement

Don't think I'm off. As I mentioned my Grandfather was born in the 19th Century but is an outlier.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,946 ✭✭✭Banjaxed82

So letting Ukraine get annihilated and appeasing Putin?

I get it. It's an awful rock and hard place for the west, but essentially that's the outlook. Sit on the sidelines and hope for a war crime or something so horrendous to come along that it's a war crime in itself not to intervene.

Probably not a good idea to bet on what happens next given Putin's invasion commenced at all but it seems like it will go like this...

West sits on sidelines . Ukraine to be decimated by Russia, as Putin knows his best days are behind him and essentially has the attitude of "ah sure, fook it". Russian enconomy falls apart leading to inevitable demise of Putin, brought down from the inside.

The West sheepishly minces up to a war torn Ukraine..."eh, we've accepted your EU membership on a partial basis. Here's a pot of money to rebuild your country. Sorry about that. Will talk to you in a few years about full EU membership when you actually have a functioning state. Sorry again."

Someone who was born in 1985? If their parent was 35 when they were born (1950) and their grandparent was 35 when the parent was born that's 1915 so you are talking about them being 24 at the start of WW2 and 30 at the end of it. That would hardly be an outlier

• Registered Users Posts: 8,441 ✭✭✭jmreire

First I ever remember ( and associate it with) were my elderly next door neighbors, who with their own children flown the nest, welcomed me into their house from when I was only about 5 or 6, and it became like a 2nd home for me. A TapTap of the poker on the dividing chimney wall was a call to come out, there was tea and cake going ( or any one several different reasons..run effends etc) But I always associate that saying with the woman of the house. She had other sayings too, and in Irish. One or two I use myself to the present day when speaking to my grandkids,,,,but I still don't know what they mean!. Since then I've heard similar in Arabic, and in African Countrys that I've visited. Having said all that, you could still have the right of it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭goldenmick

Agree.

I think it's gone plenty far enough. At what point do you take action... 1,000 innocent people killed? 2,000? 10,000? 100,000? more?

The risk of a nuclear response from Putin will always be there, now and in the future. But his charge has to be halted.

The free world has to intervene militarily, now, and I for one am not cowed by the threat of nuclear armageddon. Myself and my family would prefer to take that risk than just be helpless onlookers in a world where indiscriminate killing of thousands of children, mothers, elderly and whole families, and the displacement and destruction of millions of lives is allowed to happen before our very eyes simply because of a billionaire tyrants threats.

We've none of us any place on a planet where we willingly allow such things to happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,499 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

Different set of grandparents! But I second your lustful imaginary scenario. Ding dong...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,658 ✭✭✭storker

I've been wondering about that. If, say, Poland was attacked next year and called for help from fellow-members of NATO, what's to stop the same argument being invoked as is the case with Ukraine? "Ah well, it's not that simple, he's got nuclear weapons you see..." Claiming that it's different because Poland is in NATO but Ukraine wasn't wouldn't necessarily alter that stance.

Not that I'm calling for NATO action in the Ukraine, I'm just wondering if the failure to do so might give the easternmost NATO members pause for thought about the club they're in.

What exactly does an airspace ban involve I wonder? I presume it just means airports won't accept the flights to land. Perhaps withdraw flight control data?

Say for example a Russian aircraft, freight or passenger were to defy the ban and flew over the territory, it's not going to be shot down.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,441 ✭✭✭jmreire

And if Nato did not exist, he would still find a pretext to be in Ukraine...he wants the old Soviet Union back. He would do what he did in Georgia, flood the place with Russian passports and then send in the military to "Protect Ethnic Russians". worked before , why not again??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

Pakistan are absolute snakes, play everyone from China, Russia and the US off each other on the regular. On again and off again puppeteers of the Taliban and the government is pretty much run by their intelligence agency the ISI - as it's the only institution in the country with any coherency. And, unbelievably, they have nukes.

I recommend the book 'The Nine Lives of Pakistan' written by an Irish journalist who spent a decade there and was eventually ran out of it by the ISI.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement