Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Russia - threadbanned users in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,773 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

An interesting exploration of far right individuals and parties pushing a Pro Russian line and their motivation.

We might wonder why certain posters, individuals, parties are radically supporting and defending Russia. Their animus is less about a shared vision but common enemies.

Disruption to Irish hospitals, European gas prices etc etc are all collateral damage and acceptable given how they view this wider battle of values.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

Bwahaha owned! I'll rank my engagement with people over the years doing real live work with people from the region - including in-country - over yours every day of the week, every month of the year. That's real life sh*t petal, and gives one at least 1000 percent more insight into a place, culture and situation than a dead-end malcontent sneering at people who have done things you'll never do.

So yes, I'll continue to sh*t on you from a great height unashamedly and pull rank on you credential wise on the topic until you've seen and done things in the region at least a fraction of that. You'll be a while catching up.

Research and analysis. My dear tulip, your contributions have displayed nothing but a predeliction for boilerplate confused undergrad swill.

Normally, I wouldn't bother mentioning this, but seeing as you sneered at the other poster who is entitled to pull rank on you even more than me, it warrants a mention.

Get educated, get out into the world, and drop the arrogant claptrap with people that more likely than not have a bit more of an inside track into things than you.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

@Yurt! now think about this we need to look at this on Marco level, wait no microscopic levels of actual real world knowledge .

You might have to simplify things but no sure how much more simple you can put it

I don't think anyone is looking for a PhD level of knowledge of Russian political thought or military history, but there are certain posters approaching this with such a profound level of ignorance and arrogance that it's a joke engaging with them.

Danzy's link is on the money, there are people in the west that harbour extremely fringe political positions and those people hold Putin as some odd avatar of political leadership jabbing a finger in the eye of the West as they're so emasculated and ignored as individuals within their own society. Equally, Putin and the foreign-orientated parts of the Russian political system court and target this coterie of people as a means to sow division in relatively settled societies that enjoy the stability that Russia yearns for but cannot achieve.

For whatever psychological reasons, the fringe elements in the west lap it up and regurgitate it like good lemmings. The reality actual conditions Russian people live under, and the stability and wellbeing of neighbouring states is not of interest to them, just the game. As the old cricket turn of phrase goes: "It's about how you play the game"

• Registered Users Posts: 12,573 ✭✭✭✭Sand

So, the Ukrainian President Zelensky has come out with some common sense reality about the media driven "crisis".

"We don't need this panic," Mr Zelensky told a news conference with foreign media today.

He pointed to the need to "stabilise" Ukraine's already battered economy as he insisted he saw no greater threat now than during a similar massing of Russian troops last spring.

"Because of all these signals that tomorrow there will be war, there are signals even from respected leaders of states, they just say that tomorrow there will be war. This is panic - how much does it cost for our state?," he asked.

"The greatest risk for Ukraine... is the destabilisation of the situation inside the country," Mr Zelensky said.

The media driven "crisis" in Ukraine is based on a couple of points:

• Russia basing Russian troops in Russia is an imminent threat to its neighbours. However, its ridiculous for Russia to feel threatened by NATO basing troops on its borders.
    • It is an absolute scandal for Russia to attempt to influence Ukrainian policy. However, the US can and should attempt to influence the energy policy of Germany in particular (Nordstream 2) and the EU more widely.
    • Ukraine's borders with Russia are sacred and must be defended to the last American soldier. But the US borders are open to anyone who can walk across them.
    • Russia is massing 100,000 troops for an invasion of Ukraine. But this army is going to be deterred by the recent Canadian decision to increase troops in Ukraine from 200 to 260.

While this is all fun and games for people in this thread to express how much they hate Putin, hate Russia and the defunct Soviet Union the reality is Ukraine is a neighbour of Russia. It has to take account of what Russia thinks. And it does not serve Ukraine in any way shape or form to become a battlefield between Russia and NATO. I would hope all those posters who claim to back Ukrainian interests would now listen to Ukrainian leaders and accept that Ukrainian interests are not served by hyping up an non-existent invasion threat.

The only thing that could cause a Russian intervention in Ukraine is a Ukrainian offensive against the Russian backed separatists, or Ukraine being invited to join NATO. Neither is likely to happen. For all the public rejections of Russian demands to rule out NATO membership of Ukraine, I expect the US will make a secret deal to save face, similar to the Cuban missile crisis.

• Advertisement

Really so Olgino trolls from Lahkta 2 in St.Peterburg pretending to be something they are not,doesnt ring a bell

Russian hybrid warfare and kremlins web brigades,maybe do some research,you obviously have fallen for it

How do you explain wagner group,cossacks,night wolves,russian orthodox army in Donbass?

Same thing in Georgia in 2008

The preconditions for Russia’s aggression against Georgia were laid in the 1990s, when the Moscow-backed separatist regions of Abkhazia and South Ossetia declared “independence” from Georgia. After the local wars, Russia imposed a truce on Georgia and placed its “peacekeepers” in the conflict zone. But Moscow did not adhere to the principle of neutrality, ignoring systematic ceasefire violations by South Ossetian “militia”. In addition, Russian passports were issued en masse to residents of Abkhazia and South Ossetia.

On the eve of the invasion of Georgia, Russia conducted large-scale military exercises Caucasus-2008. Increasing the intensity of provocations, Moscow was waiting for a good excuse for open aggression. Their excuse was the Georgian army’s attempt to put an end to the Ossetian shelling and the creeping occupation of the border territories.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,432 ✭✭✭MFPM

'Bwahah'...FFS, how old are you?

You can rank your engagement anywhere you like my friend, it makes no difference to me, I'm dealing with the content of your posts, which to be frank is not great. I'm sure your travel experience is invaluable to you and perhaps gives insights into places but it certainly doesn't confer you with any sort of credential, no more than the meal I cooked tonight qualifies me to apply for a head chef position tomorrow.

I have more than enough education, experience and knowledge to deal with the likes of you as the thread has amply demonstrated thus far.

Back to those 750 US bases @Gatling you still haven't come back to me on your denials, Economics101 tried to bail you out in vain earlier, but perhaps you might speak for yourself?

You've been completely shellacked in this thread by multiple posters and displayed next to no knowledge of the post-Soviet space and everything pertaining to it.

aMEircaN ImpEriaLisM.

I can tell that gets under your skin, because it deserves mockery such is its stupidity.

Enjoy the beans and toast tonight btw.

• Advertisement

Don't need to ...

There is not 750 American military bases outside of America, see you don't actually understand whats actually considered a base ,

Do you honestly think there is more American bases over seas than in America it's self ...

Sorry comrade you lost before you stepped on to the field .

C'mon Yurt you have to do better than that. You clearly haven't read any of my posts, I think I'm one of the few posters to put this whole manufactured crisis in its correct geopolitical context, a context that went right over your head. As I've said your travel experience gives you no expertise except maybe recommending a good restaurant in whatever city you have visited.

"AmERiCan ImpeRIAlism"

Are you asking people to rate that as "geopolitical context" 🤣

I feel sorry for you Broseph.

And I worked in-country and out of country cheek by jowl with people from the region over many years. That ain't interrailing and Instagram posting, like I said, it's real-life sh*t petal. Something you appear to know little of.

No, you don't need to but it kind of goes with the territory of discussion and debate if you know what I mean!

I've no idea how many bases are in the US what I do know is that there are at least 750 outside of the US....they did close more than 500 they had in Iraq after they killed a million civilians and secured the oil.

Look it's fine, you made an idiot of yourself contradicting me but hopefully, you've learned from this experience..

• Registered Users Posts: 33,894 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Once again you skipped over my post for a second time.

Russia attacked out Health services during the worst worldwide healthcrises in over a hundred years. We are a neutral country. Is that not agression and why is it acceptable to you.

What have we done to Russia. Be specific.

It's interesting that with every post you reveal how little you've read of my posts or indeed of any of the posts here, you continually post what you think people are saying, perhaps it's a comprehension issue but whatever it is it's disingenuous. And once more your travel experience doesn't make you an expert on anything!

Stick to Russian propaganda and there's nothing to see here,

Discussion and debate 😂😂😅😅

"I've no idea how many bases "

Especially being your looking at it macro and binary level ,

If you want to try sound intelligent find someone who actually believes it

• Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭TheTruth89

The only one talking nonsense and non truths is yourself comrade. It's fairly obvious what your at, since you can't dispute the facts I presented to counter your points , you have resorted to attack posters rather than there posts.

A clear sign of losing a debate.

Go on MFPM. When have you been to a post-Soviet country or even had meaningful interaction or relationship, personal or professional, with anyone from the region?

I never claimed expertise, but I'm still pulling rank and sh*tting on your knowledge of the region. Real life my sweet prince, real life.

Your posts have been read and dismissed for what they are, sub-undergrad gloop. Tell us more about American Imperialism.

• Advertisement

I'm glad you're so interested in my responses, I didn't skip over it I was putting Yurt in his place.

I'm interested in this conti attack on the HSE, I haven't seen their links with the Kremlin/Putin etc, will you point me to your sources, interested to read them, thanks.

Ireland is nominally a neutral country but no one buys that, our DOFA broadly aligns with the US on foreign policy...let's face it the destruction of Iraq was facilitated by successive Irish governments. The direction of so-called neutrality is only going in one direction.

Murica, Murica, murica

Some people can't handle what happened in January of 86

Oh, I've spent time in Poland, Hungary, Slovenia and Croatia....I have friends from Lithuania, Poland and Slovakia - I've attended conferences and seminars on political issues with people from Russia, Kazakshtan, Belarus, Ukraine, the Czech Republic....none of which gives me credentials but I do have opinions based on experience, research and reading...the way, you know most people develop expertise, but you seem to only rate people who travel!!

I think MF would find the outcome of Rocky IV deeply upsetting.

He'll be along now to tell us it's an artifact of Western-centric Cold War values and American imperial chauvinism*

*He wouldn't quite put it like that, because he struggles with the big words. "Geopolitical context" (tm) is his thing you see. Which consists mostly of bringing up Iraq in a thread about Ukraine / Russia.

So does that mean you don't have sources or you just don't want to point me to them...I was genuinely interested, not really sure why you're here if not to debate.

You realise none of the first 4 you mentioned are post-Soviet states MF yeah? 😂

And for all your supposed interactions at 'political conferences' (*cough* b*llshit *cough*) from the listed countries, you sure do like talking about Iraq when you should have a wealth of knowledge from post-Soviet peers, which you completely didn't make up.

Mate, I was accused (with no evidence) today of posting homophobic remarks on this site, something I have never done, the only person being attacked is me, though you conveniently missed that! I've attacked no-one..

Oh FFS stop being so idiotic, you know well the point being made...it's like being in a kindergarten with you.

MF, I hate to break it to you, but they're not post-Soviet countries.

This is getting awkward. Your gold-standard "geopolitical context" street cred is falling apart I'm afraid.

• Advertisement

I'm aware of what they are, as I said you're well aware of the point being made and as you know the people from the said countries would know a thing or two about Russian subjugation...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement