Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Russia - threadbanned users in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,923 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

The absolute disconnect from reality is staggering:

Russia's negotiating position - according to the country's foreign minister Sergey Lavrov - is that:

• Ukraine must "demilitarise" and "deNazify"
    • Crimea - Ukraine's southern peninsula annexed by Moscow in 2014 - is recognised by Kyiv as part of Russia
    • Two breakaway regions in eastern Ukraine - self-proclaimed Donetsk People’s Republic and Luhansk People’s Republic - are formally recognised

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭CB19Kevo

One sanction might not have an impact, 100 might not have an impact but as more and more pile on it applies pressure. Will it stop Putin-I doubt it, Might it make everyday Russians demand answers - Maybe, Does it give moral support to Ukraine - Yes.

Many of us have donated already and continue to do either in supporting humanitarian aid or weaponry but i'm sure i am not the only one who wants to do more. Short of leaving for Ukraine and fighting.

I believe in the cause but admittedly not enough to sacrifice my life... Maybe a pussy for not fighting for what i believe in or maybe being realistic in what level of support i can offer. Will let you judge me if you so wish.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,047 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

All absolutely irreleavnt. There are many nukes on subs closer to the US than if they were in Canada, probably, just as there are nukes on US, French and British submarines in close proximity to Russia. It's all pretext and nonsense. The west could have behaved very differently when the soviet union collapsed, but it took no advantage of the situation; but now it threatens Russia at every turn? Spare me the BS.

It's all just the same old USSR/Russian con job of assembling a string of random words and claiming they justify what it is doing or wants to do. There is no truth other than Putin wanting to do something and is doing it. The words are just meant to cosnfuse and distract while he gets on with his plan.

That would entirely depend on how much money and how many jobs they offered.

In the real world, sovereign nations can not do whatever they want. Cuba were a sovereign nation, should they have been allowed to put nukes on their soil? No. USA perceived it as an existential threat and were willing to go to nuclear war to prevent it.

There are a great many "sovereign nations" persuing nuclear weapons and other sovereign nations are actively stopping them.

In the real world sovereign nations have to consider the consequences of their actions. That is not the same as condoning the consequences, it is accepting that they will occur and deciding if it is worth it. Russia had been shouting from the rooftops that they perceived NATO expansion as an existential threat. Anyone with half a brain knows how a superpower will eventually respond to an existential threat. What did the West do? Goad Russia, topple the Ukrainian government, funnel arms into the region, spend tax payer money on fomenting anti-Russian sentiment. Every analyst knew what would happen. There are those in the West who intended for this to happen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,251 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

I was somewhat sceptical of that story but know it’s clear that Putin very much capable of such an action

• Registered Users Posts: 18,512 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

The last one is an impossibility for starters. The only reason there are Russian troops there right now is because they illegally invaded.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Sanctions are already doing that as the ability to deliver goods and get paid for them is already severely curtailed. Big companies are pulling out and smaller entities will do it more quietly.

If Russia hasn't taken Ukraine by Monday morning 9AM their time and the Russian stock markets open. They will enter Zimbabwe territory.

The analysis from intelligence and military experts this morning on the radio is pretty grim. The tone has definitely changed from heroic resistance to inevitable destruction.

Prevailing view seems to be that Russia held back their heavy armaments (in fact, never had even begun to move them) as they thought that they would walk in, with minimal damage and a pretty light force. They are in the process now of mobilising their heavy artillery etc and will flatten the main cities. They wont be able to paint it for much longer, domestically, as being a liberating force. But Putin is likely beyond caring about that now. Likewise he is unlikely to care about the casualties or the ICC or the isolation of Russia or the sanctions. As far as he is concerned, anyone still there is an enemy combatant.

Looking more and more likely that this is going to be an utter catastrophe and there is going to be nothing left of Ukrainian cities

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,668 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

• Registered Users Posts: 7,969 ✭✭✭Christy42

The US did not invade Cuba over that if you recall?

Second Cuba was allowed to stay heavily linked to Russia. It was not allowed nukes. Like say the way the Ukraine does not have nukes. That deal also saw nuclear weapons removed from Turkey and Italy BTW. Again without an invasion taking place. Neither was disallowed from talking to the west nor from making their alliances by this deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,173 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

Listening to the news there, it's gut wrenching. I rang the embassy, basically the guy didn't give a ****. I really think we ( the west) are at war with Russia. I for one have no problem marching on the embassy and burning it down.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,922 ✭✭✭GM228

It certainly is interesting times ahead for the Russia airline industry.

The major maintenance contracts are in Germany with Volga-Dnepr Technics in Leipzig and Lufthansa Technik in Hamburg, I have read somewhere that not only has LT stopped providing maintenance in accordance with the sanctions but has actually terminated the contract, VD on the other hand being a Russian company won't go to such extremes, but obviously are still barred from activities.

Back to the video, Petter Hörnfeldt is a very well informed and respected person in the aviation industry, his videos are always worth the watch and worth keeping an eye out for more he does on the topic.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭Botrys

we shouldn't get too drawn to the good cop bad cop analogy, every country has its own interests and you can't change the interests of a superpower you need to think out of the box.

yes Putin has imperialist ambitions, that's his agenda and he's not letting anyone get in his way.

NATO in its objectives is hostile to Russia and he'll be able to use it as an excuse to invade and expand.

Ireland as a sovereign nation has the right to bring the russian war fleet and dock it in its ports. How do you think our neighbours would react.

The NATO 'threat' be it to national security or expansion ambitions is credible.

different ways need to be found to deal with Putin and the sanctions/isolations are a step into the right direction

if successful, an under pressure revolution leading to a regime change in Russia would be the best possible outcome, eventually you're going to need Russia as your ally.

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭Heraclius

How horrific. There will be nothing left of Russia's reputation in the west either. Will it even work as a strategy for making Ukraine negotiate?

I didn't suggest NATO countries go in, I said those with any future aspirations. And as for your do nothing and all will be well because this is the last country he will do this to:

"Reynolds: And you do not think he will necessarily stop at Ukraine?

Hill: Of course he won’t. Ukraine has become the front line in a struggle, not just for which countries can or cannot be in NATO, or between democracies and autocracies, but in a struggle for maintaining a rules-based system in which the things that countries want are not taken by force. Every country in the world should be paying close attention to this. Yes, there may be countries like China and others who might think that this is permissible, but overall, most countries have benefited from the current international system in terms of trade and economic growth, from investment and an interdependent globalized world. This is pretty much the end of this. That’s what Russia has done.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,089 ✭✭✭threeball

Not only open, but with plans to expand. Time to shut it down, confiscate the land. Sell it off and send the proceeds to housing the refugees. What do we really want to have any sort of diplomatic relationship with these cretins for. You couldn't trust any of them as far as you'd spit.

So your view seems to be that Ukraine should not have "provoked" Russia by not wanting to become it's vassal state. And the rest of the world should not "provoke" Russia by daring to do anything about it's invasion of a European country.

And your grasp of history seems to hint you think Japan invaded *checks notes* a large number territories making up 20% of the world's population, because of sanctions..

• Registered Users Posts: 8,922 ✭✭✭GM228

Have they not gone past the need for so called false flag events?

• Advertisement

USA considered it an existential threat, they were prepared to go to war over it, almost did.

The point is that "sovereign nation can do whatever they want" does not work in the real world.

Yes, I am afraid of the end of the world and nuclear war. I question your sanity if you aren't.

But since you are so brave, I presume you are leaving your old life behind and about to travel to Ukraine to join the international brigade? Otherwise you are full of hot air and dangerous guff, egging us on to oblivion.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,657 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

I dont think it's going to change. Putin has been planning all of this for at least 15 years. Ukraine is a major step to pushing the western frontier back, to get a puppet Russian adminstration in place like Belarus. Next it will be Moldova, than the Baltics and who knows how far.

Putin wouldn't still be alive at whatever point there was any immediate prospect of Ukraine joining NATO for real.

I agree with a lot of this, but it does boil down to a simple common denominator, Putin's ambitions.

If NATO never existed, countries would rapidly be creating such an organisation right now. Also people have to be naive if they think NATO is the real reason Putin is invading Ukraine.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭Nermal

I hope our ambassadors would lie too, if it was in Ireland's interest. I would expect a bit more artfullness, given our national character.

If they wouldn't, there's something wrong with our recruitment process!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,089 ✭✭✭threeball

Why would you want to speak with a person who just a few days before the invasion said there wasn't going to be one. And is no justifying it at every turn. Do you really think that these people are worth talking to. They'd shake hands with their right and stab you in the guts with their left.

Apparently NATO has a detailed list of its inventory. Members have equipment that sits outside that inventory, and presumably that's what's being sent. It's a distinction without a difference if ever there was one.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Nice to see Health & Safety hasn't completely disappeared!

It follows on from the Ukrainian man removing a landmine with his bare hands last week, cigarette in his mouth.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,345 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

Its been obvious from the start.

Most people are routing for Ukraine but time to be realistic.

I don’t claim to know the solution.

But many are going to die over the next while but the end will be a Russian victory.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement