Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Russia - threadbanned users in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

We don't have the facilities for thousands or tens of thousands of refugees ,we can accommodate a few hundred at most ,and this has Always been the situation when it comes to refugees coming here ,

We don't have the capacity for anything but token gestures ,it's sad but unfortunately this is where we are at

• Registered Users Posts: 13,712 ✭✭✭✭briany

Be aware of constant attempts by bad actors to undermine western support of Ukraine as the country endures an illegal invasion by Russia. These include (but not limited to) :-

1) The hypocrisy in the media, western public and NATO in their treatment of this war.

2) Ukrainians put out just as much propaganda as the Russians....

3) We're about to get a boatload of refugees coming our way, and us in the middle of a housing crisis.

Feel free to add to the list.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Yep, there's much to this, AKA truth is the first casualty of war, but be prepared for the onslaught of angry dismissal for saying it.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭jolivmmx

We need to not forget these people. Their words should be played on a loop coming up to elections.

The motivations behind political stances by elected politicians should always be held to scrutiny, so that we can understand why they have reached their conclusions

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,036 ✭✭✭joseywhales

I think most Ukrainian refugees will be hoping to return to Ukraine someday and will have a desire to live nearby in countries with shared language and culture. Some will come to Ireland and I welcome them, they have a lot to offer any would be refuge country including some very educated young people, examples of whom I have met in America, Canada and Ireland over the years. The large Ukrainian immigration in Canada for example centred around the middle of the country which would not be exactly the desirable part, yet they flourished there and integrated seamlessly. For those worried about the cost and strain on Ireland, I think we need to look at settling these refugees outside of Dublin, they will do fine in rural towns and cities, they might even prefer it. We have issues with housing in this country, I suspect half of it is to do with Dublin's urban sprawl, the concentration of jobs there and the refusal of people from Dublin to take council houses in rural towns where it is more affordable.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,662 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

He raised the prospect of the end of Ukranian statehood in his remarks...

“The current leadership needs to understand that if they continue doing what they are doing (resisting the invasion), they risk the future of Ukrainian statehood,” he said at a meeting in Moscow on Saturday, in his first extended remarks since the start of the war. “If that happens, they will have to be blamed for that.”

• Registered Users Posts: 18,516 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

We're going to have the find the facilities. Imagine a country of 5m people announcing to the world that it is "full" and that it cannot take refugees desperately fleeing a nearby warzone - it would be a moment of shame for the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,797 ✭✭✭omega man

I see the charity begins at home comments surfacing here already…

• Registered Users Posts: 19,398 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Ukrainian men are rushing back from other countries to Ukraine to try to save their homeland. If they will go back there in the middle of a war then I doubt they would hope that a ticket here for their women and children would be a one-way ticket

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,047 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

I think you will be surprised at how many homes have a room they could spare and will offer them. The scenes at Berlin train station with hundred of people holding up cards with drawn stick figures showing they could take a woman and several kids was heart warming and inspirational.

Even more remarkable was a Belgian couple, who drove two cars to the Polish border packed both cars full of refugees and drove them back to Belgium.

A big difference between economic migrants refugees and those from the war in Ukraine.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,165 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

They discussed Wallace and Daly on the Katie Hannon show earlier. Its very interesting how the media are portraying their vote. This is what they actually said about Russia in a statement.

-------------------------------

We unequivocally condemn Russia’s war of aggression against Ukraine. We call on the Russian Federation to immediately terminate all military activities in Ukraine, unconditionally withdraw its forces, and fully respect Ukraine’s sovereignty. We express our undivided solidarity with the people of Ukraine and call for urgent diplomatic efforts to secure a ceasefire and negotiations to end the conflict.

The decision by Russia to abandon diplomacy and invade Ukraine cannot be justified and is contrary to international law. It amounts to the most serious of war crimes, as observed by the Nuremberg Tribunal, which stated that aggressive war is “the supreme international crime differing only from other war crimes in that it contains within itself the accumulated evil of the whole.” With every hour, that evil continues to accumulate. Russian shelling and rocket attacks against cities are crimes against humanity. The use of Russia’s nuclear deterrent to provide cover for this war is threatening runaway nuclear escalation, with potentially fatal consequences for all life on our planet. The sole responsibility for this is borne by Vladimir Putin.

-------------------------------

So why did they vote against the resolution on Russian aggression? I will let you answer that.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

1) The hypocrisy in the media, western public and NATO in their treatment of this war.

In fairness there's some truth to that, but when what's happening to Ukraine is happening right now, it's not the time for whataboutery.

2) Ukrainians put out just as much propaganda as the Russians....

I'd say they put out more and more is certainly read and viewed in the West. They're way ahead of the Russians in this. More sophisticated, far less clunky. Russian propaganda is aimed at a population that are already used to one sided bullshít and absorb it more readily which doesn't work on populations that aren't and don't. Ukrainian is much more western and 'young' by comparison. Propaganda isn't just lies either, it can simply be information with a different slant depending on origin, or just information to spread the word you need to spread, or to spread uncertainty in opposing forces. In reach and effectiveness the Ukrainians have put the Russians in the tupenny hapenny place in this.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭olestoepoke

You need to take a break from the mainstream news, start searching for media that is less biased

I was talking to a colleague who hails from a geopolitical conflict zone. His brother, aged in his late 20s, an economist, was shot dead. He said that to us, these death tolls are meaningless. But to him, one of them was his brother. He remembers the absolute horror and fear of the bombs detonating and the walls shaking. He did not know if they would live or die. His friend’s young son, even after they emigrated, wouldn’t sleep at night, because he was afraid. He would only sleep during the day, when his family was around to protect him.

My heart bleeds for the ordinary person out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,345 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

• Registered Users Posts: 13,712 ✭✭✭✭briany

On the contrary, I have no issue with a link to Condaleeza Rice discussing Russia's invasion of Ukraine. The bit I have a problem with is the constant, and therefore frankly boring, attempts to use that kind of thing to divert the thread into a discussion about the hypocrisy of the U.S.A. or the BBC or whoever else you feel like is not one hundred percent consistent, like that's the thing we should really be angry about right now, at this moment in time and in this crisis. What you said doesn't make me particularly uncomfortable, it just makes me shake my head a bit. There are constantly people coming along posting versions of what you're saying like it's some sort of original thought. It's not. It's just contrarian crankery at this point. As I have previously suggested, why don't you or the others who post the exact same kind of thing start a thread on the hypocrisy bit and stop trying to derail this one?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,346 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

Talk of modular housing been built very quickly

• Registered Users Posts: 1,702 ✭✭✭firemansam4

4) Ukraine isn't really a democratic country, it was overthrown by right wing Nazis who were carrying out genocide of ethnic Russians with the help of the CIA.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,097 ✭✭✭threeball

Not much point trying to explain yourself to stewardesses when you've completely decimated their industry and removed any job prospects they had.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,047 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

• Registered Users Posts: 3,839 ✭✭✭Polar101

Similar to if a soldier in Ukraine is using an iPhone versus Apple sending a private army to fight there.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,300 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

No-fly would be very difficult to enforce. US Patriot missiles only have 90Km range so can't be done by missiles. And NATO can't attack missiles units still in Russia or Belarus as that would be a major escalation. Not a factor in previous no-fly zones.

The S-500 surface to air missile system has a range of up to 600Km so could cover all of Ukraine. The S-400 missiles with a shorter 400Km range could still cover all of Ukraine apart from Crimea, and the Black Sea fleet has missiles too and NATO can't attack them without major escalation.

The thing is that I don't have a problem with Ukrainian propaganda. They are perfectly within their rights to do so, and they have legitimate tactical reasons - whether it is winning the support of the West, demoralizing the Russians, etc. In their position, lying through their teeth is exactly what they should do. I would do it.

But Western media including our own should be working to a higher standard. If a nuclear power station is "shelled" then there will be verifiable satellite imagery within 24hrs, raised radiation levels downwind, etc. If this proof doesn't come then it wasn't shelled and whoever said needs to be treated as an unreliable source henceforth.

We are several days removed from the incident and it's obvious that the Russians did not shell a nuclear power station, deliberately or otherwise. There may have been fighting in the vicinity.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,031 ✭✭✭rolling boh

we simply have to step up there will be a huge economic cost coming down the line due to this war and it will affect a lot of people .There is an awful lot of wishful thinking about change in Russia which will happen but at best it would be someone just a bit better than Putin and there will not be a complete change of systems in Russia .I wonder how many people in powerful postions either in the army or buiness in RUSSIA who might effect a change but it looks a fair bit away at the moment .We have to hope by putting sanctions in place we bring everything to its knees but that will take time not before huge damage and loss of life .

• Registered Users Posts: 8,097 ✭✭✭threeball

He just linked to Russell brand as an alternative media figure to turn to in order to uncover the truth. The equivalent of a credibility suicide bomb.

There is a valid concern now that other rogue states will see that there is precedent for using threats of a Nuclear Winter to achieve their malevolent aims.

Hmmm, still with the huge table, but this time he's sitting beside them. Maybe he only keeps his distance from men. Though the fact it's a bunch of trainee air hostesses is ironic, given the Russian airline fleet is a matter of months from being grounded and as it is today can't land anywhere in Europe or the US. Kinda the worst time to be Russian cabin crew.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,236 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

Is Russel Brand some kind of expert or what?

Or is this more a case of you looking for someone authoritative who shares your views and this was the best you could come up with?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,098 ✭✭✭Mech1

Open all the holiday caravan parks, pay a minimal rent to the owners, get them open and supplied we can take thousands of familys if we think outside the box.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement