Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Russia - threadbanned users in OP

Options

Comments

This long drawn out battle is very damaging to Russia. As more time goes on their assets will be whittled away, with no resources to resupply. There is virtually unlimited supply of armaments/tech/intel to give Ukraine.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

🤣

Moscow Mick tweeted some video of a hick UFC fighter from Arkansas who was going off on a mad one about Hunter Biden and Ukraine.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,923 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

Big walkout in Russian factory at Nizhnekamsk over wages issue linked to plummeting rouble. So it begins.

How do the Ukranians manage all the foreign people coming in? Especially those with no obvious ties to Ukraine? How can they trust them? You can't just jump from citizen to useful soldier that's conscious of all their duties and how to behave in the few minutes it takes to put a uniform on. How do they filter out the selfish adventurers? The head the balls? Those with criminal tendencies? Etc. Etc. What sort of duties do they give them? Is their main value as propaganda? No clue how any of that works, but if I was Ukranian, I'd be watching these new arrivals very closely.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,049 ✭✭✭Mecanudo

I see the Ministry of Truth and Doublethink continue to be busy promoting Putins dictates

According to todays news Putin  continues to pin the blame for the war squarely on the Ukrainians and slammed their resistance to the invasion.

“If they continue to do what they are doing, they are calling into question the future of Ukrainian statehood “And if this happens, it will be entirely on their conscience.”

Not to be outdone on trying to remake history and throwing in a heavy dose of victim blaming, Putin is also hitting out at the economic sanctions which have crippled Russia’s economy and sent the value of its currency into free fall. He had likened these sanctions  to “declaring war”.

No Mr Putin you declared war by invading a peaceful independent country, a country which  is valiantly fighting back.

That Putin is surprised that Ukraine should resist his brutal invasion, that other countries should not impose sanctions or that sanctions are somehow the same as his invasion and declaring war on Ukraine is truely the machinations of Orwell's Ministry of Truth

• Advertisement

I didn't disagree in that I "understand" what he said and why he said it. But public opinion is a fickle thing and can turn on a two-pence- and the "spies" being shot and thrown on the street is part and parcel of what happens in war- I get that too. To date, Ukraine leadership has worked as one unified team- I hope that it doesn't start to split in the weeks ahead in terms of ideology and what approach to take as support and coverage will start to wane from the public. I don't know the true reasons why these people were shot and the legal process that was gone though but Ukraine can't be seen anywhere near "war crimes" if it wants to keep the public on its side. Whether or not they believe dumping their bodies on the street was justified or not, I don't think it was a clever move.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭riddles

Thousands of Russians have and will start losing well paid TECH jobs from tomorrow on in large numbers that will shake things up in terms of a jolt of reality for them.

Yeah that's about the number I've been coming across. I don't think there's any big "covert plan" behind this, just foreign nationals wanting to fight. Some of them are quite experienced, I've seen veteran special forces guys are joining. Also estimates are that 50k to 60k Ukrainian expats have gone back to fight. Any footage I've seen from inside Ukraine show large amounts of people signing up (due to military service in Ukraine many have rudimentary military training)

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭Subzero3

Then Erdogan? Awkward one since he is in Nato. He's no better. Russia won't fail unless Ukraine fails with it. I agree with the above mentioned post that it will escalate to tactical missiles/Nuclear to knock out Ukraine capabilities. If I were a despot about to lose I'd atleast cause maximum pain for the enemy. Lets say a coup was about to take place in Moscow, the gov could escalate it to a point where nobody can win.

• Advertisement

"Welcome to Hell, you Russian motherfuckers"

To risky for Russia to go Urban there. The nazi battilion will fight to the death. It will be leveled as soon as enough civilians are seen leaving. Optics.

Looks like the Russians are worried about the scale of today's anti-war protest in St. Petersburg.

Russia is smart, they will adapt, but indeed their failure to make big gains in the first week is quite serious. They are probably in a scenario now they didn't want to be in. Ukraine's resolve to fight and manpower only seem to be getting stronger by the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,441 ✭✭✭jmreire

So much for the plan that they would be able to move better in winter when the ground was hard, and avoid using the roads where they would be sitting ducks!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,424 ✭✭✭Dubh Geannain

So will the Russians actually lose the ability to finance the operation today as projected or has the shelling eased off in the last couple of days to save money? Imagine if they couldn't afford to bring even more of their equipment home. I mean it looks like alot of the Northern assault anyway was run on a shoestring so maybe they can indeed carry on a good bit longer.

How are conditions in Mariupol?

I'd blame the Chinese, they did ask to Russians to stall the attack until after the winter Olympics ended...

Visa and mastercard services now suspended in Russia- it must be torture for the middle classes- all of those Hermes handbags at half-price and they can't buy them 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 22,408 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

I think the UN should build a resort on a beautiful Caribbean island and use it as a retirement home for despots where they can live out their lives in exile with immunity from their former crimes on the condition that they completely abdicate power and are replaced with a democratic form of government

Let them hang out together in exile, in their vulgarity with a few million dollars of a pension to see them through, reliving their glory days amongst each other but demonstrating to their former loyalists that they were never anything more than self interested cowards all along

It's been used for centuries to give an exit strategy to the leaders of a lost cause who would otherwise been forced to have fought to the death and scorched the earth behind them

Ukraine can't be seen anywhere near "war crimes" if it wants to keep the public on its side. Whether or not they believe dumping their bodies on the street was justified or not, I don't think it was a clever move.

Have to agree with you there. If Ukraine wants to keep the global public on its side, they need to keep the ugly stuff out of sight.

We're seeing videos showing a large number of abandoned military vehicles, including videos with no sign of combat in the immediate vicinity, and the Russian soldiers apparently gone missing. Did they disappear into thin air? Were they taken prisoner? Did they die in combat? Where did they go? Off into the forests? There are possible answers to these questions that don't bear thinking about... I know Russian soldiers are not flavor of the month, but they will need to be accounted for by Ukraine (even if the Russian state doesn't care about them).

• Advertisement

Was there a video of him being questioned by a Ukrainian soldier, then blindfolded?

Its that a war crime?

Lets say he was/wasn't a spy, should he of got a trial.

Massive own goal for Ukraine.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,047 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

"During the arrest, the Security Service of Ukraine (SBU) shot dead a member of the Ukrainian negotiating group Denys Kireev, who was suspected of high treason, MP Oleksiy Honcharenko has said.

"During the arrest, the Security Service of Ukraine shot dead a member of the Ukrainian negotiating delegation Denys Kireev. He was suspected of high treason," Honcharenko wrote on his Telegram channel.

He claims that, according to interlocutors in political circles, the Security Service had clear evidence of Kireev's treason, including telephone conversations." https://en.interfax.com.ua/news/general/807707.html

They seem to have zero tollerance for Russian sympathisers and quislings at the moment. I have a slight inkling as to why.

Kyiv have flooded parts around the city by using one of the reservoirs, turning certain areas into a sea of mud, making it all but impassable for the bulk of Russian forces

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

• Registered Users Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭Longing

Wow.....WTF Z for victory.

International Olympic Committee you are Disgrace,

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

That's a convoy previously hit a couple of days ago with the video taken from the opposite direction.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Sounds like Syria Mark2. Shamina Begumski will be disowned in a few month's lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,191 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Either way, it was a stupid thing to do. It's incredibly bad for optics. Too much of that sort of thing and there'll be a lot of little Ukrainian flags disappearing from people's social media accounts.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,346 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

I think it’s naive to believe everything will be rosy and nice on Ukraines side in the war.

Their country is under attack, the people and army are under huge stress paranoia and worry.

Even Zelensky looks a man shattered and his comments yesterday shows that.

Things like that execution if true unfortunately is to be expected.

• Advertisement

Yes I know, the Kharkiv convoy, but is another angle of it

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement