Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Russia - threadbanned users in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,097 ✭✭✭threeball

That's a better map and it really shows the Russians have control of very little bar roads. Either side of those roads they would be ripe for the picking by guerilla units. And that will only get worse the deeper into Ukraine they get. It'll be heaven for snipers, rpgs and javelins. It'll be impossible to police.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,923 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

• Registered Users Posts: 20,047 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

The Polish Mig-29 and SU-25 fighter deal is back on and has been approved by the US. Great news!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭combat14

Interesting history of russia and ukraine for anyone who wants historical background

looks like russia has been sending in "peacekeepers" to its neighbours for centuries .. this land grab is unfortunately nothing new in its lengthy history...

russia didnt become the largest country on earth by befriending all its neighbours and constantly losing wars ...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,658 ✭✭✭storker

"The moral is to the physical as three is to one."

- Napoleon

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

I'd keep paying attention to the streets of Russia if I were you. And when I say the Russian state, I mean the will of the layer of people below Putin.

Putin may have cracked up, but not everyone in the Kremlin has lost their mind I'm sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

Maybe Netflix pulling out will be the catalyst for that 😐️

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭Botrys

Not going to happen

Europeans don’t want to get into this rabbit hole

and Blinken was acting ‘smart’ giving a green light when nobody showed any willingness to send jets.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,839 ✭✭✭Polar101

So far the reports from Russia seem to be to the tune of "I went to the supermarket, and wanted to buy my favourite brand of cheese, but they didn't have it and that made me sad". Feels like it's going to take a bit longer for anyone to crack. And the state's control of information is tightening, with media sites and social media being shut down so the disinformation campaign is likely to work for a while longer at least.

It feels like we get an overly optimistic view on the effects of the sanctions, because any effect will be reported - since it's evidence of the west actually doing something - but how effective they really are? I don't know.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,002 ✭✭✭jkforde

I gloomily believe that RasPutin is mad enough to sanction a nuke strike to rattle nato, and with this Mig deal.....

🌦️ 6.7kwp, 45°, SSW, mid-Galway 🌦️

I believe it's 28 mig-29s from Poland. The original talk was of 70 if other countries like Romania also got in on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,671 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

• Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭combat14

Zelensky's powerful address tonight

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭Heraclius

Won't the Russians have even more air defenses set up inside and around Ukraine by now? Will the Ukrainians really be able to do much with those planes.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,441 ✭✭✭jmreire

So according to you, 44 million people living in a Country covering more that 600'000 sq miles, will be subjugated by a Russian army of 200'000??? When even at the moment the plan is way behind schedule, their logistics is failing badly. And nothing like the rosy picture you are painting. Anything that the Russians are losing or running out of is fast becoming more difficult to replace. With the sanctions in place, and many replacement parts manufactured outside Russia are becoming next to impossible to repair /replace. On the other hand, Ukraine have one of the best supply pipelines imaginable, and its improving daily as more suppliers come onstream. The Russian soldiers are getting more demoralized daily, and when it comes to replacing them, you really are joking, do you mean the 18 year old conscript's???. As for a top class army, when the best they do is carry out murderous long distance shelling of defenseless people, men women and children...even Baby's in cities? They are murderous scum. I met several Russian survivors of the Great War, and to a man, they were proud and very proud of their achievements. When the time comes to write this part of the history of Russia, you will not find many soldier's parading around showing off their service medals. So now, it just like Japan after Pearl Harbor, when Yamamoto was asked how the war was going, he replied "for 6 mths or a year maybe, we will invade with impunity, every where we wish, and when we wish, we will plant the flag of Japan. But after that,,,,,I cannot say. And we all know how that ended. Slava Ukraine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭Cheerful S

What military person should consider is these vehicles are soviet build., One has to assume old tanks be rusting away in warehouses somewhere, looked over by mechanics, limited way, and got rolled out for this war. Think the Russian leaders wouldn’t pay attention too much, got destroyed as long as the tank cleaned out a defensive position and helped the advance of men on the ground. It's not like the Russian are operating t-14 Armata tanks here. There are probably many breakdowns of the tanks in rough terrain, explain why some of them are deserted by the crew. . It sounds great on paper Russia losing armor but it really is obsolete gear. There’s no real disaster to the Russian military as the tech old.

Helicopters and aircraft blew up problematic when pilots die. They’re trained to fly. That very demoralizing when aircraft get taken down places a bit of fear in the belly for them. Russia not using its air force much for a bombing raid. There using artillery and cruise missiles and other missiles to win.

How many troops they lost is truly unknown. I suspect thousands if they do urban warfare. WW2-style battles here, a western army would take damage in Ukraine.

Convoy on its way to Kyiv may have slowed for strategic reasons. There’re undertaking to encircle the city they really do have to wait for other forces to join and move in from all sides. They have to hold Kharkiv and Mariupol to link up the south and east take for a run through Poltava and then on Kyiv.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,397 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

I wouldn't put money on it being higher in 7 days than it is today. It is for another thread but I think the temporary lift from Russian linked money has gone in already.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,712 ✭✭✭✭briany

Large amounts of Russian oligarchs' western assets seized (not enough for my liking, but it's a start), credit rating in the toilet and about to be flushed, losing access to a lot of brands and financial services.... somebody posted a comprehensive list a few days ago that was quite exhaustive and we're only about a week and a half into this thing. I'm not expecting that the little babushka living out in one of the federal subjects, carrying a pail of water back to her duma will notice too much different in the world, but there are a lot of people living in Russia's western cities who'd grown used to a half decent standard of living. They could well be asking WTF.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,537 ✭✭✭brickster69

It depends on how much institutions are owed and if they can afford to lose that money because from the look of it they won't be getting paid. No doubt some institutions will be up **** creek and maybe need bail outs or go bust.

This explains it a bit more

“The earth is littered with the ruins of empires that believed they were eternal.”

- Camille Paglia

• Registered Users Posts: 23,660 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

I'll give two cents on this FWIW

People calling for no-fly zones and fighter jets to be supplied and all that need to understand once that happens, from that moment on, every time you go to bed at night in the back of your mind will be "is this the night I get an alert on my phone of the use of a nuclear weapon somewhere?" - and when that happens you'll know terror like you've never known it before.

So I don't get this attitude, this bravado. It's almost at ridiculous proportions now - a whole section of people don't seem to get it and I don't know why.

This is dangerous.

I get the emotion and the anger but no-one would be considering this back at the height of the Cold War because they'd understand the consequences fully.

There is nothing more the west can do except what we are doing in terms of sanctions, lethal and non-lethal aid to Ukraine unless our own populations are willing to live their lives terrorised in a way no one has been scared since the height of the Cuban missile crisis.

Are they all prepared to do that? I don't think so.

There is a kind of carelessness and fecklessness in the discourse about this right now I really don't understand and it's worrying.

You do know it's March not February?

Whoops, my bad I forgot the Iron Curtain has been drawn shat again and you lot are likely a bit cut off and behind the times and out of touch, just like the good old days:

>US gives Poland the 'green light' to give Ukraine MIG fighter jets as Russia warns it is at WAR with ANY country hosting Kyiv's aircraft and points finger at Romania as top American general inspects troops in Europe... Updated: 21:46, 6 March 2022"<

Out here It's now March 6th.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,254 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

i don’t like that Brave is in that headline about putin… he is garbage and a coward

• Registered Users Posts: 19,397 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

I have no idea what she looks like. I can only tell you that however she looks, she's not as hot as Ivanka

• Registered Users Posts: 4,254 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

Russia will pay debt in Rubles.

When I hear this all I can think is:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,658 ✭✭✭storker

If I remember correctly, the Soviets employed some Guards divisions in Stalingrad too. One big difference, though; at Stalingrad, the Russians were defending, not attacking. Attacking is different, and generally done with the best troops, second line units being kept for garrison duties (holding on to captured towns) and protection of lines of supply. And if the Russian transport and communications look chaotic now, consider what it will be like when the Russians try to execute a "passage of lines" to replace the beat-up first wave units with the fresh elite units (do they even exist?) that are to replace them. It's a very difficult thing to do, so difficult that it's often commented on e.g. two French formations managing it when closely pressed at Austerlitz in 1805, and the ancient Romans are believed to have had a similar system for relieving wavering or tired troops with fresh ones, but such are the difficulties that historians can't agree on how they could have managed it. And in both of those examples the units would have been close to equal in quality.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Northernlily

He's a very powerful communicator. Perhaps one of the best there ever was. I don't think the resistance would be as strong as it is without his capability to evoke action through words.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement