Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Russia - threadbanned users in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭generic_throwaway

As they accept virtually none of his refugees.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

You assume the correct position .

Bend over and kiss your backside good bye

• Registered Users Posts: 29,398 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Stopping the war that just buys time for Russia and neuters Ukraine isnt peace. Russia took Crimea and stirred up Donbas etc. You would be a fool to think a deal now would be the end of it. It would just be another Munich.

It would have to be a legal treaty passed by the parliaments/congress of the observing powers either NATO or EU. Ukraine would not be able to station NATO troops or strategic missiles but an attack on it would be considered an attack on NATO.

The 1994 agreement wasnt a treaty.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,922 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

Another map, Russia has a huge advantage in armor, aircraft and materials, however note the difference in manpower

Poland asks other countries to follow suit and act in a similar way with their Migs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭rogber

You seem to take glee in that fact. Pretty revolting

Only to a specific level.

A couple of security researchers that I know through various forums and work have been doing a good bit of mapping on them and no surprise that they have switched from mainly covid being a hoax, wailing about masks etc to Ukraine should concede, NATO and the EU being weak etc

While some are hard to get at, the type of idiots who believe repost their crap are easy targets.

Now while there are organisations that legally offer services to help companies and individuals find out who is trolling them, there are other groups who do some troll hunting and they have increased especially since Covid hit and what these lads do to these idiots isn't as nice and legal, and they are already targeting those trolling in relation to Ukraine.

Would you rather I copy other low level newly registered posters in calling for Ukraine to surrender.

Not going to happen

• Registered Users Posts: 15,389 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Christ, things are going to get even more tense very soon. Giving them to the US, is Putin going to buy that? This should not have been announced.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

From the same source, another assessment of the potential upcoming 2 to 4 days concerning Kyiv and potential Russian moves on the city

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

Oh dear, would say so many of these useful idiots and quislings all over Europe will be running to Mother Google and invoking the right to be forgotten (or trying to?)! As posted before I hope the stink clings.

View from a BBC economics editor

"Two G7 nations cannot ban the world’s second largest oil producer without tangible consequences.

Some of this is already factored in to the global price for crude oil, record pump petrol and particularly diesel prices.

President Biden was candid with the American people that there was a “price” for freedom.

PM Johnson hopes that the price can be minimised by phasing in a ban over the course of this year.

Even without formal diplomatic bans, an unofficial embargo is occurring in the markets. Shell was pilloried by Ukraine’s foreign minister for buying a cheap tanker of unwanted Russian crude, and has since apologised. Another tanker was turned away from Tranmere docks by unions refusing to offload the crude, and is now waiting near Orkney for a purchaser.

Though there are no sanctions on Russian energy in the EU plan, if followed, it will have a bigger overall impact on the energy market. And most of the West is trying to do the same thing at the same time.

But this is the economic weapon that will most hit the Kremlin. Oil revenues are much more important than gas revenues. There are also other options for the world’s supply of crude oil, stretching from Venezuela to the Gulf.

This will come with a price, paid by everyone. It was a price President Putin assumed Western populations would not want to pay. It is now happening."

I said it previously I think they are going to bait putin into doing something he's immediately going to regret ,

They already publicly said they were supplying Ukraine with real time intelligence on the ground,US and NATO Aircraft and drones operating over and close to Ukraine and still nothing from putin despite his public threats .

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭Bayonet

So Ukraine wouldn't be 'in' NATO and wouldn't be allowed to station NATO peacekeepers, but would be protected by NATO if attacked. Hmmm, don't think that's going to fly.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,668 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

• Registered Users Posts: 1,916 ✭✭✭ronivek

I presume announcing it is part of applying further political pressure on Russia and giving Ukraine a boost.

The wording is particularly interesting though: the fighters are being moved to Germany and given into the custody of the US. How long would it actually take to get them to Ukraine; and by what means? Surely it's going to take significantly longer via that route; and it also means they're definitely not going to be operated from Polish (and by extension NATO) airfields. How do they get protected en route and in Ukraine?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,580 ✭✭✭Working class heroes

It’s amazing the amount of Russians you know Wibbs, it really is.

Racism is now hiding behind the cloak of Community activism.

An extra 23 combat jets definitely going to be a big help ,be interesting to see if other countries follow suit

• Registered Users Posts: 8,173 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

Do you think there is an answer to your question about a nuclear weapon flying towards you ,

The answer is your dead ,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

I assume some Ukrainian pilots will be "visiting" the base and will have to borrow the planes to get home.....😉

A bit like all those Russian troops going on "holidays" in Crimea in 2014.

I am a center-right European who believes in the superiority of western civilization. I once subscribed to the Fukuyama hypothesis, that the whole world would end up modelled on the west, and that we would all live in a wonderful world of reason, democracy, individual rights and helpful technology. I hoped for a unified western world buttressed by the USA and Canada in the western hemisphere, and a European Union stretching from Galway to Vladivostok in Eurasia - the Global North ringfenced with friendly relations between the states of Western Civilization.

As I've aged, I've become a realist. My primary concern now is to conserve and preserve the west. To see it hold the line. My view today is basically the same as Professor John Mearsheimer's.

International Relations is all about keeping the USA, the UK, France, Germany, Russia, Turkey, Iran, India, China and Japan from fighting each other. That's it. These are the countries that matter globally in terms of war and peace. 

A first step to achieving peace is to recognize that each of these Powers have red lines that the other players should know about, and understand -- not out of tolerance, but out of the need to avoid another major war.

The US's red lines are explained in the Monroe Doctrine. Russia's red lines (in its western borderlands) are that Ukraine and Georgia (and Belarus) should not be in NATO or the EU. Russia has been very forthright about this for over a decade. And Russia has its reasons, its own perspective. If cut off from the Black Sea, the Caucasus and the Caspian Sea by a hostile force rolling across the steppe from eastern Ukraine, Russia wouldn't be a viable state any longer. Now you don't have to like or respect or agree with Russia's reasons, but you have to know that the Russians believe in these reasons very, very deeply, and that if you violate them, you will provoke a war. And this is precisely what has happened. 

Unfortunately, small states exist at the pleasure of great powers. People say that sovereign states are free to do as they wish. But that's not how the world actually works. Any democratically elected Irish government could test this by quitting the EU and inviting the Chinese to establish naval bases and airfields in Donegal, Dublin, Rosslare, Galway and Ringaskiddy, in exchange for economic investment. The Irish people could even favor this policy overwhelmingly. We would be well within our rights to develop such a relationship with China, but the US, the UK and France would perceive it as an existential risk and immediately take action to stop it. (The Russians might even participate in these actions themselves.) 

Russia has committed a crime in attacking Ukraine and its leaders would ideally be removed from power and made to answer for the murder and destruction they have wrought. But if Putin were deposed, it's not a sure thing that he'd be replaced by a more moderate leader. We could well get an even more belligerent man in the Kremlin. For their parts, the US, Germany, France and the UK have pursued - and are still pursuing - the provocative goal of wresting Ukraine from Russia's orbit. The success of that policy may be viewed today. I don't personally believe that the elected leaders of any of these countries know the first thing about why Russia values Ukraine, Georgia and Belarus so much. Some of the mandarins probably do. George Kennan certainly did.

Let's see if anyone else steps up!

Fair play to Poland and the US.

That or little green men on holiday from America become the new flying tigers

• Registered Users Posts: 8,922 ✭✭✭GM228

Be interesting to see how Russia views/reacts to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,428 ✭✭✭ZX7R

UK offered to station fighter jets to make up for the short fall of aircraft to Poland.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,173 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

Whatever about the McDonald's putin is going to be f****d, or should I say NOT f****d , without the vaseline

Gotta love french ladies.

Apparently they know how to cook too (not that I can answer that)

• Registered Users Posts: 29,398 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Would need to be Poles or those familiar with MIG types of jets. Very different to any of the NATO produced jets.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Advertisement

Slightly more helpful than taking 50 refugees and handing out some kit kats I suppose...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement